Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » You Can't Take The Sky From Me (OPEN)

Rhyzo (played by Pyrroglaux)

Aristide hadn’t heard of either of the names Merrion mentioned, but he assumed they must be border planets. He had never needed to care about any of them, having been fortunate enough to have lived comfortably on central planets. If he was surprised that technology like this was available outside the core worlds, he didn’t show it. It was none of his business, after all. He merely found it a pity he knew nothing about the manufacturer of the implants this way, or the possible medical details that came with them. As it was, he would just have to find out along the way.

He looked over at Captain Coolidge when the man grinned. “Er…” He gazed at the two thick files the captain put down. “Well. As long as I’m here, I might as well make myself useful. Until you want to get rid of me.”

He opened the engineer’s files, looking through them briefly to see if they corresponded to what he found himself, and then looked up and nodded when the captain told him it was his turn. He took the captain’s files and looked over the relevant entries quickly, then began the checkup.
Kyta (played by IviCelebrindal)

After Kyta was all checked out, she smiled and turned to leave, then turned back around and stood against the wall. She watched the captain and Rhyzo, taking in everything she could. She liked learning more from people who knew what they were doing, especially in medicine. She watched with bright eyes and a smile on her face, taking in everything.
Tara O'Conly (played by L0v3lyInk)

Tara went back to the bridge and sat down in the chair slowly eating her stolen meal. It wasn't as good as planet food, but then again it depended on the planet. She ate it regardless and listened to the classical music that was still playing over the intercom. Off to the side there was a radar screen though and it was softly, 'ping'ing. She didn't notice it though.

Not until it got louder that is. She blinked and looked around when she finally heard it confused. As said previously, she didn't normally hang out in the bridge. So although she knew how to fly, that didn't mean she knew what all the different noises and stations were for. When she realized it was to the radar though she got up and walked over to it though and looked at it for a second. "This could possibly be a problem..." she said realizing that there were 3 ships coming up on them.

She quickly moved back over to the intercom and took the radio away. She held down the button and quickly said, "Captain, could you please report to the bridge...NOW. Thank you." She then let up on the intercom button and moved over to the radar station again inwardly freaking out about how they were coming up on their ship. She heard another 'ping'ing noise go off over at the communications station and she quickly moved over there looking at the thing that was making the noise. There was a flashing yellow button and below it, it said 'incoming'. She wasn't exactly sure what that meant though so she decided to wait until the captain got to the bridge.
Tyler Coolidge (played by JayBird) Topic Starter

Coolidge's medical file read for the first half as predictably as could be expected for a veteran of his stature, including a few grisly pictures from the Independent booby trap that nearly killed him. The second half, however, was mostly all neuroscience and medicine, detailing the fact that Coolie had been a migraine and headache sufferer since he was an infant, but more spectacularly was the acute Alice In Wonderland Syndrome he suffered from. Rhyzo's curiosity at Tyler's seeming inability to move effectively was answered, as when he was having a headache or migraine, he very often didn't know what something's true size was.
At Tara's summons, however, Tyler perked a brow, sparing a glance to his new medic before tearing out of the medical bay, able to vault up the steps and around corners rather quickly now that his medicine had kicked in and brought his brain under control. Barely out of breath when he reached the bridge, Tye started scanning the sensors as well as the view port, looking for whatever panicked her. "What is it?"

Aristide raised an eyebrow when the message of the mismatched-eye-colors-girl, as he had come to refer to her in his mind, came through. She sounded rather a lot more serious than before, and so he stepped out of the captain’s way as not to impede him on his way to the bridge.

He put the captain’s impressive files down -impressive or disturbing, depending on one’s outlook on life- and turned to look at Kyta. He found it difficult to take her very seriously, what with her outgoing, happy personality, the continuous smiles, and her clothing, which in his opinion belonged on a leisurely stroll along a sunny boulevard rather than a transport ship. Nevertheless, he was going to do his best. She didn’t appear to be judging him, and so he wasn’t going to do it to her either.

“So it seems I might be able to teach you something after all,” he said. “As long as I’m here. But first you need to teach me about where the meds are kept, which ones you have, which ones are needed. And I will need to see a register or ledger of the stuff.”

He wasn’t sure if the captain or the rest of the crew would like him going through their supplies, but he reasoned that if he was allowed to see their medical files, their supplies wouldn’t be much of a problem.

When Rhyzo looked over at her, Kyta smiled and pushed off the wall to walk towards him, calmly. She stops out of reach of him, to make sure she doesn't encroach on his space since she didn't know how he would react to it. She continues to smile as she asks "You don't mind if I just observe, do you?"

She rocks back and forth on the balls of her feet with her hands interlaced behind her back. She looks up at Rhyzo with her bright blue eyes looking inquisitive.

Kyta walks over to the cabinets and starts going through all the medications because she keeps the place orderly as well as well stocked. She takes out a book from on top of the cabinet and hands it to Rhyzo and leans close so she can point things out in the ledger. The writing in the ledger was very neat and tidy. She was trying to give him as much information about the medications and supplies as she can.
Merrion Kambel (played anonymously)

Once Merrion had gotten the vent cover off, he could tell something was wrong. The airflow did feel like less than it should, but the familiar sound made him almost positive the machinery was working properly, which meant there had to be a blockage somewhere near this opening. He was already inside the vent when he faintly heard Tara's announcement. Shifting his position and looking back at the way out past his feet, he managed to catch sight of the Captain breeze past on his way to the bridge, not even sparing the open vent a glance. Frowning at the development, he wondered for a moment if he should go see what was going on, then decided against it. He was sure the Captain could handle whatever it was.

"Luna." He muttered as he turned back to his current job, his synthetic eyes tinting green as they switched to night-vision mode so he could see better in dim vents. There was nothing straight ahead, but there was an opening to the right just ahead and the path veered left further along. Hoping this wouldn't take too long, he worked his way forward, glad for the implants in his spine no matter how painful they were to get. Flexibility in tight spaces like this were one of the main things they were made for, after all.

Tara turned when she heard the captain come in. "There are three ships coming at us on the radar and the incoming button is flashing." she said quickly and then stopped. She stared at him and then slowly looked down at the button getting what it meant now. "Wow I feel stupid." she said softly, mainly to herself.

"What should we do?" she asked looking back at Coolidge, slightly panicked yet at the same time, she felt a little bit better now that the captain was here.

Aristide shook his head to indicate that he didn’t mind if the girl observed his work. He followed her as she went through all the cabinets. He took note of the kind of medication the ship had, and where they were kept. It seemed they were stored in an orderly, logical fashion, and so he didn’t think he would encounter any problems finding his way around.

He took the ledger and leafed through it, nodding quietly as Kyta ran him through it. The ledger seemed as clear and precise as the cabinets.

“Good…” he muttered absent-mindedly, focused on the information in the ledger. He turned and walked around the room while studying the ledger in more detail for a while. Walking always helped him think. After a while, he put the ledger down and took his bag. He produced a small, black leather case from it that opened like a book. Within it was a pocket-sized computer, a digital encyclopedia. He called up the pharmacological database it contained, and pulled up a chair to sit down. He drew the ledger closer, and found himself a sheet of paper and a pen.

“There are newer variations and alternatives available for some of these meds,” he explained, “I know where and how to get them, but we can’t start using new ones without making sure they’re compatible with the rest that’s being used.”

And so Aristide set out to look up the current medications’ compatibilities, and those of the newer ones he knew had gone into production recently. With a few days work, maybe he could draw up a plan to optimize the ship’s medication supply.

While he fell into a routine procedure of making an overview of the available medication's properties, he asked; “So why are you interested in medicine? Did you ever study it? How much do you already know?”

(Sorry for the late reply, school got busy)

Kyta nodded as Rhyzo told her about the new medications. "I was only familiar with the old medications." And she smiled as she watched him working, taking in what he is doing and what he has to say. She watched him intently and made mental notes about everything he said or did.

"I think medicine is fascinating. It has always interested me, I just didn't have enough money to go to medical school. I studied medicine on my own because I thought I would need it. Spent many years reading about it."
"Shit!" Sondra Marasco sat at the helm of a stolen ASREV, with two more of them hot on her trail, and smoke trailed out behind her. She pulled up, trying to regain the upper hand in her current situation. She would have gotten it, too, had she not lifted a damaged craft. Times were hard in Ariel, though, and she had to take what she could get. Wheeling around, she fired off some rounds, pulling to a 90-degree angle to one of the fighters. Clipping it just right, a ball of fire took its place, scattering parts to the stars- one of them clipping her already injured vessel. Lights flashed, red filling the bridge. Eyes narrowing, she dove down, pulling around as a Firefly vessel came into view. Seeing what might be a chance, she turned towards it, pulling the smaller craft underneath and then turning quickly, bringing her ship alongside, shielding herself from the Alliance enforcer long enough, hopefully, to confuse him. Pulling away from the Firefly in the opposite direction that she approached, she pulled around towards the front of the ship, engines sputtering, and a stings of curses leaving her mouth. She lost momentary control, her ship nosediving into a deadly spiral. Kicking the control panel, she gave one last attempt at recovery, pulling up hard, leveling out and bringing herself face to face with the Alliance ship. "Well... it's been fun." She prepared to empty what was left of her ammunition in the son-of-a-bitch before she went down, a small smile on her face.

Tyler watched the fight unfold on the sensors, then with his own naked eyes through the front view port. "<Which ancestor did I shit on?> "
Lunging into the secondary seat, Ty keyed full control over to his console as the wounded craft flew beneath and the Alliance craft flew overhead. The enemy of my enemy is my friend he though as he assessed the situation as best he could. He had no illusions that he and the crew would be in for a whole 'Verse of trouble if they were reported, and the only way to not be was to take action and help the other ASREV.
Turning the Viator as hard as he could, Coolidge cursed himself for not spending more time flying, bringing the Series III Firefly around in a broad loop. As he came around, the captain's eyes narrowed on the speck of light that was the intact, not-fleeing Alliance fighter. "I'm fatter!" And he was.
With no weapons on the ship, the only thing that the Viator had to fight with was itself, 400,000 pounds of weight slamming into the ASREV like a sumo on Siamese. Except a Siamese cat was considerably less fragile than a ceramic and metal fighter craft. The ASREV exploded under the blow, the pieces splattering through space as Tyler put a hard brake on his craft, slowing to float right in front of the injured craft. "Firefly class transport hailing lucky pilot... How you doing out there?"

Rhyzo’s pen trailed to a halt and he looked at the girl while she replied.

“Hm…” was all he had to offer as a comment. He turned his head away and for a moment, he gazed ahead of him at nothing in particular, his expression turning a bit wry as he drifted off in thought. It was hardly fair, he thought, that a girl with enough motivation and ambition to study medicine by herself was denied access to the proper means to do it. Whereas he only had to hold out his hand to get more money than he ever needed, got into the finest medical school, and wasted it all by drinking his career away. That wouldn’t have happened to this girl, he figured. His mother’s money would have been better spent on her.

He pushed his thoughts away. They were good material with which to wallow in self-pity later, on a sleepless night, but they were of no use to him now. He was about to continue searching for incompatibilities between various kinds of medication when the ship shook, then seemed to brake abruptly. He grabbed on to the table, in case more, worse things were coming.

“… the hell was that?”

((( Happy birthday, by the way, Jay! :D )))

Kyta smiled at the doctor as he went about his business in the medical ward. She watched him intently and tried to see what he was doing. Suddenly, the ship shook so hard, Kyta was thrown from her feet and landed on the ground.

"What the heck was that?" she asked as she got up and walked out the door towards the bridge.

Merrion had just started to turn down the branch right for a look when the ship jerked, making him topple and smack his head on the corner of the vent. The next part was a blur through the pain, but he felt his body twist and slide down the shaft he'd started in. When he finally regained his senses, he found himself folded forward so much that he was staring at his kneecaps. A quick attempt to move also told him he was stuck.

"Oh you have got to be kidding me." He muttered, looking down the vent. The opening was straight ahead and he wasn't too far from the turn he'd whacked his head on, so he made a grab for the latter, hoping to pull himself free. Unfortunately his fingertips were about three inches too short to reach. Fantastic... Struggling for a few more seconds and getting nowhere fast, he sighed. As much as he hated doing it, there was really no other option.

"Hey!" He shouted down the vent, only half-hoping someone would be passing by because of how embarrassing the situation was. "Anyone out there?! I could use a hand in here!"

Tara watched with her jaw dropped as the scene unfolded in front of her. She had never actually seen a fight before. Maybe on videos but never in person. Much less she had never been pulled into a fight. So as the captain quickly took action to help save the wounded craft, Tara quickly grabbed onto the control panel, making sure NOT to hit any buttons, as she continued to watch. "Holy shit...I wonder what they did." she mumbled, mainly to herself. Not even a minute later, the captain had called over to the wounded ship.

She blinked when she thought she heard Kambel screaming something from the hall. It was distant but still close enough she realized something was going on. She stood, figuring the captain had it for now and quickly went out into the hall looking around but not before saying, "I'll be back." She blinked as she saw a ladder laying on the ground after wondering for a bit. It had clearly been knocked over by the impact of the two ships. "Kambel?" she asked blinking and looked around confused.
Sondra caught her breath, the sky clearing up in front of her as the debris from what was the second Alliance ship drifted off into space. She watched the slower ship stop, and pulled on her headset to answer the hailing captain. "Seen better days, stranger, but doing better now, thanks to you. Thanks for saving my ass there- if these Alliance ships weren't such pieces of go-se it woulda been able to take more than a few bumps and bruises before it started bleeding like a baby." Smoke continued to pour from the rear of the craft as the cabin flashed red and black, red and black, and the alarms chimed in a deadly melody in the background.

Tyler glanced at Tara as the shorter woman left the bridge with a promise to return. "Please do." Incongruously, the classical music continued to play on the intercom, at odds with Coolie's thundering heart and aching shoulders where he'd been snapped against his harness as a result of the collision.
When the pilot of the dead in the water ASREV started speaking, Ty thought that the voice was familiar, but couldn't place from where. "Tell you what, pilot. Since I can see the pretty light show you're putting on over there, I'm going to guess that you're in just about as much trouble as you were in five minutes ago, be it a different sort. Why don't you talk a walk over this way and we'll give you a ride."
Turning off the music, Coolidge leaned over and spoke in an entirely reasonable tone into the intercom. "Merr, Rhyzo, would you two mind coming to the bridge, carrying the very fanciest in armament that you have?" Carefully, the captain began applying thrusters, maneuvering the Viator closer to the ASREV, lining up the docking ports.

The voice calling his name that drifted down the vent was both a relief and reason for him to groan. Something told him he wasn't going to live this one down anytime soon if she was the one that found him in this position. Still, it was probably better to get help from her than wedged into the vent forever. Marginally.

"Down here, Tara!" Merrion called out, still wiggling a bit and trying to get himself into a better position. "Whatever that jostle to the ship was got me stuck in this damn vent! Could you give me a hand or throw in a rope or something?"

Rhyzo felt vaguely relieved when he heard the captain’s calm voice over the intercom. Whatever caused the shock that went through the ship a moment ago, hadn’t caused any damage, he concluded. No substantial damage, anyway. … At least not to the intercom.

He frowned at the captain’s message, though. “Armament?” he muttered to himself, “The hell does that mean?”

He looked around the room skeptically and got off his chair. Unless the captain had meant a bone saw or a scalpel, he didn’t think he could find anything that corresponded to the term ‘armament’, much less ‘fancy armament’. He didn’t have any weapons himself, never even had come close to a gun before, up until the point where the captain and the engineer aimed some at him.
Apparently he was quite dangerous with a broken bottle, or so his mother had informed him when she had come to pay his bail – rather embarrassingly – and have him released from his police cell. He didn’t remember, though, since he had been drunk out of his skull on the night in question. He remembered the hangover and his mother’s humiliating speech, but that wasn’t going to be of much help to him, especially since he didn’t have a bottle now in the first place.

He walked out of the med bay, resigning himself to bringing only his blank stare as backup. Yeah, that was bound to be intimidating. He snorted and almost laughed at the thought, heading for the bridge as requested. Halfway there, though, he stopped. The girl with the mismatched eye colors stood there, together with a fallen ladder. He thought he heard the engineer’s voice, and he frowned in puzzlement.

“Er,” he began, addressing Tara, “Can I help?”

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » You Can't Take The Sky From Me (OPEN)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus