Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What turns you OFF a game/series?

Ok, I've been playing Pockie Ninja for a while now. I'm a fan of the easy fighting, and collecting the cool looking skins for my fihgter. And Like most of the players, I play free, and I don't spend money on it to get to 'cool' stuff.

Now, here's my issue. New special item showed up, ALL of the Tailed Beasts from Naruto in skin and pet form. Now, how do you get it?...

You have to spend money.

And not digital coins. You have to buy fraking Game Money with cash, and then spend it...

The person who spends the most gets teh prize.

THE PERSON WHO HAS THE LEAST AMMOUNT OF LIFE AND THE MOST CASH GETS THE STINKING AVATAR!!!!

THATS-hack

pant pant

That's not fair. How about us poor folks who like the EARN our rewards through quests? We're totally cut out...

I quit Pockie Ninja. And I'm never going back, no matter how cool it is.

Discussion: What are games/series that you used to like, but now shun?
I used to play this game called 'Outside.' It was AWESOME - the graphics were superb, the NPC's were absolutely amazing (you couldn't tell how they would react AT ALL, and it's like each one was unique and individually scripted), there were SOOO many character archetypes and classes to choose from (I ended up choosing the path of Internet Dweller and Computer Geek, with a sub-class of Auto Mechanic), and the bosses at the end of the levels were just... stellar. I can't even describe how good my experience was - at least until the latest patch came in. The in-game weather went from hospitable to nuclear in a heartbeat, it's driving my graphics card (and even my character overall, it seems like!) insane!

I'm quitting until they institute an option to play in a weather-less setting.

But for cereal: Most MMO's I've played. I've just become so burnt out on them, and after a while the thought of wallowing around in a god-forsaken area for hours just to get ONE level in something was a major turn off.
Jetticus

What's great about this post is I recently got turned off from a game series... Assassin's Creed... I know I'm going to look like that one idiot who won't play it, but I'm tired of this... they were starting to lose plot in the last game and now they are pulling out the "TEAM AMERICAAAA F*** YA!" Card and it's just flat out made me rethink it's purchase...

I know they need people to purchase this game, but seriously... Ubisoft has just lost a fan because of this stunt... Either way... yeah.
Drayle88 Topic Starter

@Jet

Ahhhh... I see your point. Me personally I'm just glad they got off their AC2 kick. Seriously, I thought it would never end.

And while I agree the who Team America is a liiiiittle much (Just saying I would have preffered a Gangster era or Japanese Era style myself) I dont think it's overly... wrong. Just saying. I got teh AC3 American flag with Assassin's Symbol hanging in my room.
Sanne Moderator

Games that require subscriptions to play turn me off enormously. I'll already have to pay 30-50 euros to buy the game, and then pay about 15 euros a month just to PLAY it? No thanks!

Games that offer low quality content and are only really enjoyable when you pay for extra stuff, like what you described Drayle, are a no-go for me too.

Online multiplayer tends to ruin a lot of games too. It can be fun to play with others, but there's always someone in the group to ruin it for others (unless you play exclusively with friends you know) by doing stupid things like suiciding or idling around. Left 4 Dead, I usually play with bots or only with people I know for exactly like this reason. Teamwork is essential, and if one of the members ignores the rest then the game is ruined.

Super bugged games where it's nearly impossible to play are on the list as well. If I can't complete a quest because the game is too messed up and prevents me from completing the game, then... yeah, no go!

I don't have specific examples for game names because I usually ditch them quickly and forget about them. :P
Jetticus

Drayle88 wrote:
@Jet

Ahhhh... I see your point. Me personally I'm just glad they got off their AC2 kick. Seriously, I thought it would never end.

And while I agree the who Team America is a liiiiittle much (Just saying I would have preffered a Gangster era or Japanese Era style myself) I dont think it's overly... wrong. Just saying. I got teh AC3 American flag with Assassin's Symbol hanging in my room.

Don't get me wrong... it's probably going to be a decent game, but I feel like you do, what about the LA: Riots? or something like the French Revolution, WWI or II, or EVEN BETTER... THE FUTURE lol I mean we've only seen bits and pieces of that...
Drayle88 Topic Starter

Jetticus wrote:
Drayle88 wrote:
@Jet

Don't get me wrong... it's probably going to be a decent game, but I feel like you do, what about the LA: Riots? or something like the French Revolution, WWI or II, or EVEN BETTER... THE FUTURE lol I mean we've only seen bits and pieces of that...

Future?... As much as I would love to see it (Tron/AC) I doubt it'll happen. They are so stuck on the past going forward would only mess things up for them.
Kim Site Admin

Bugs that are ignored forever.

I understand that bugs happen. Oh, how intimately I understand it. I understand that games are now enormous enterprises that often require HUGE teams to produce, and that the complexity means there are fringe cases they just never thought of, and bugs. Bugs bugs bugs.

And if they put out frequent patches and things get fixed, I don't mind. In fact, I find it exciting to watch a game get better.

But if they put out new features, or worse, NOTHING, and never fix anything meaningful, I can't stand it.

Skyrim is driving me up a WALL lately. I've had to abandon 4 major quests pretty much in a row because I'd get nearly to the end and then it would bug out and I'd be unable to turn my quest in, or something obnoxious like that. Plus, I've got a bunch of heavy quest items permanently welded to my inventory taking up space for stuff I actually want. Aggggh!
Jetticus

Kim wrote:

I understand that bugs happen. Oh, how intimately I understand it. I understand that games are now enormous enterprises that often require HUGE teams to produce, and that the complexity means there are fringe cases they just never thought of, and bugs. Bugs bugs bugs.

And if they put out frequent patches and things get fixed, I don't mind. In fact, I find it exciting to watch a game get better.

But if they put out new features, or worse, NOTHING, and never fix anything meaningful, I can't stand it.

Skyrim is driving me up a WALL lately. I've had to abandon 4 major quests pretty much in a row because I'd get nearly to the end and then it would bug out and I'd be unable to turn my quest in, or something obnoxious like that. Plus, I've got a bunch of heavy quest items permanently welded to my inventory taking up space for stuff I actually want. Aggggh!

Just be glad you don't have it on a console... I love my console... but... **** you know? lol
Drayle88 Topic Starter

Kim wrote:

so.... You used to be an adventurer, but you took an arrow to the knee?
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I like playing cooperative games with friends but I find I dislike MMOs because they force you to play at the same pace as everyone else or you get left behind. Either you end up playing too much and people complain or not enough and they complain. Takes the fun right out of it.
Jetticus

Darth_Angelus wrote:
I like playing cooperative games with friends but I find I dislike MMOs because they force you to play at the same pace as everyone else or you get left behind. Either you end up playing too much and people complain or not enough and they complain. Takes the fun right out of it.

That's why Skyrim should have a Borderlands-like setup, so you can play with UP TO 3 people aside yourself. I would say this, games that have gone to the MMO format have really died for me as well, Diablo 3 was going to be on my list, til I found out it was an MMO... now I don't want it...

I know what I really miss about gaming though... "Couch Co-Op" what happened to that?!
Drayle88 Topic Starter

Jetticus wrote:
Darth_Angelus wrote:

That's why Skyrim should have a Borderlands-like setup, so you can play with UP TO 3 people aside yourself. I would say this, games that have gone to the MMO format have really died for me as well, Diablo 3 was going to be on my list, til I found out it was an MMO... now I don't want it...

I know what I really miss about gaming though... "Couch Co-Op" what happened to that?!

Skyrim + Borderlands team up = OMG I found heaven
Kim Site Admin

Jetticus wrote:

I miss hot seating! Turn based games you could play together with one computer and one keyboard... Heroes Of Might and Magic 3 was the best party game EVER. You could have 8 players, turns went quickly, but with 7 people in line you got to sit and socialize and eat while waiting for your turn. I still play this game with groups of friends, and it is still just as fun.
Jetticus

Kim wrote:
Jetticus wrote:

I miss hot seating! Turn based games you could play together with one computer and one keyboard... Heroes Of Might and Magic 3 was the best party game EVER. You could have 8 players, turns went quickly, but with 7 people in line you got to sit and socialize and eat while waiting for your turn. I still play this game with groups of friends, and it is still just as fun.

I never got a shot at that, I may have to give that a try, wireless mouse and keyboard and hook up to my tv, sounds perfect! lol It's like D&D in that format is sounds.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Kim wrote:

My friends were always too suspicious of each other for this to work back when hot seat games were still being made :(
Jetticus wrote:
I never got a shot at that, I may have to give that a try, wireless mouse and keyboard and hook up to my tv, sounds perfect! lol It's like D&D in that format is sounds.

I've done that with my laptop. Works surprisingly well!
I used to play Runescape. Back when I was younger, before Furcadia came into my life, I thought it was teh COOLEST THING EVER. I thought it was so neat and interesting.

But as with every online MMO, people are jerks. I decided to quit the game because I couldn't handle the populace. Either people were jerks or people were trying to hook up with other people. It was creepy.
Well, while I am not a huge MMO player (Not very good at em) I did play Rift for a long time. it seemed cool enough, and it was. It succeeded in a lot of places WoW did not and I still like it. But being someone who doesnt play MMO's on a regular basis, I had no friends (Except for a rl friend who got me into it) the whole doing dungeons and shit.. I couldn't do because I didn't have a party. So once I got to the max level i was like, wtf am I supposed to do now? Well, that and paying 30$ every 3 months got tedious, so I ended up saving some money and let Rift go. Not a bad game though ><; Something that turns me off? Being constantly killed because some jerk is standing by my corpse and I can't keep myself alive lol. I tend to like playing in a non pvp area... except for when I go on a winning streak XD.

Eh either way, I am looking forward to Guild Wars 2.
Jello_Monsta

OMG LIKE NEOPETS! and somewhat like every other commercialized game, Gaiaonline, Facebook games... That is what gaming has turned into. The only thing I play now is League of legends, because it's free and they update every week, and we very rarely get bugs. When we do they fix it right away. The only thing you can option to spend real money on is custom skins for the character you choose. It does have a point paying system where you earn ironically enough RP. You can buy all the new characters with RP, which is the games currency that it pays you whether you win or lose a game. But you don't have to have the skins to make your character better or stronger, it's just to make it look pretty. So that's why I pretty much abandoned every other game honestly. Of course I played Skyrim for a couple of days just because it was pretty, but kept dying so I got bored pretty fast lololol

So in all reality, somewhere in that thing of a paragraph...Video game companies are just trying to make even more money than they already are, and if its a free game they have to get money from somewhere to stay functioning. So they try to appeal to those type of people who have extra money to spend, who also in turn like pretty or stronger things, they are going to get more money out of the game itself. You need money to stay afloat in a competitive world.

(I hope that made sense, I am celebrating St. Patrick's early. XD)
i strongly dislike it when companies sell "incomplete" games. you know, the ones that sell you a game and then require some accessories or a dlc or... another entire game to work. what i'm really referring to is the trend capcom is setting for other companies. how many times has streetfighter IV been released? 3 times. you got streetfighter IV, super streetfighter, and streetfighter 3d. all basically the same game but with minor tweaks and each selling at full game price. why can't they just have a $5-$15 dlc?

dlc is also starting to become a problem. don't get me wrong, i like the idea of buying fun add ons to enhance the game but at some point they're going to use dlc as an excuse to make us pay more money for a game by making it required to play something.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What turns you OFF a game/series?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus