Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Wit Inn (Closed)

Anon (played anonymously)

Isenn is mostly able to keep his eyes ahead on his destination. Mostly. His eyes are able to catch the more notable sights in the corners of his vision, such as the beings near the fire near that wall over there, or a -hey, a 'normal' looking- woman whose greeting smile is returned with a somewhat stiffly-made nod. But so far, so good, and the young man manages to disregard most of the strangeness of the environment at least. Maybe exactly because of the amount of strangeness. Scratching the back of his head with a huff, he slides onto one of the high barstools, settles, elbows propped on the counter and fingers rhythmically tapping on the wood. He is silent, staring from the left to the right, trying to determine who to turn his questions to.

Before he can even do that, Isenn finds himself about as spooked as some of the Faceless when a man of, goodness, impressive stature announces his arrival by placing himself behind the bar, accompanied with an equally impressive amount of heart behind his spoken command. It can't be helped, the way the young man snaps up in a way more formal manner of sitting, which is, to his merit, the only sign of being startled he's showing.

His mouth opens and closes a few times as he faces the Barkeep, wordless at first as Navvie himself answers the question he posed. That arm. Who's this guy? "Err... Ahah..." Closing his eyes momentarily and inhaling deeply via his nose, Isenn rubs the back of his neck. The rhythmic tapping has long stopped, "New... New- Yeah, I am. Thanks." His voice itself kindly dismisses the larger man's apology. "Ehm... I'm guessing this place is new then?" Quite smooth. Not. But he's still curious, as he has indeed not heard of an inn having opened in the vicinity. But then again, he really has not yet quite realised -where- exactly this building is located.
The Miscellaneous (played by Jan_the_Cat) Topic Starter

"Aye, lad." Navvie replied as he leaned over the counter with his right forearm and elbow on the desk while the clearly heavier cannon attached to his left seemed to rest against a stool behind the bar. Despite his intimidating appearance, the Barkeep seemed well-disposed towards the visitors of the Inn and none too hostile lest someone or something decided to come around his 'territory' or encroached upon his field of business. "Would be a day or so since the warlock put up this place. Can't tell ye how she did it. Magic ain't something I'm too fond of y'see..." He cast a long gaze over the main inn room and added before his guest could inquire. "I was not very impressed with the job when I got asked to take it. I mean. An inn set up by some wizard in the middle o' nowhere? Not the place I'd like to be in, for sure! But it seemed better than nothing y'see. And I figured, with the lot that would come 'ere, no one would bother me 'bout this big boy 'ere." He casually patted his left cannon-arm. "Mayhap I scare troublemakers away with it, they said. Maybe. The warlock put down an enchantment on 'ere that's meant to keep folks from stirring ruckus." He gazed over the Inn room again. "Seems t'be workin' thus far."

"Anyhow, enough o'me prattlin' about meself. I'm Navvie by the way." He said as he set his cannon-arm back down and extended his right arm towards his guest for a handshake. "Formerly a mercenary, now a barkeep in the weirdest place ye'll ever see. How bout ye?"
Zeki Morgan (played by maxd234)

Zeki took a glance look at the newly arrived barkeep and was intrigued on who he was and slightly annoyed on how loud he was too. "Big cannon must be compensating" he joked underneath his breath as he continue to enjoy the heat from the fire.

It's simply, frankly, quite impossible not to stare. Honestly, the Barkeep will surely understand that, wouldn't he? From his position at the bar, if he holds his head in just the right angle, he can catch glimpses of that weapon attached to his arm. After a second of getting used to the idea, the thing actually looks quite elaborate in how it connects, its design, the aesthetic. Not voicing this, he returns his attention to the 'tender proper because thankfully, his somewhat rigid demeanour manages to melt. Perhaps not too unexpected if one were to know Isenn but a little, for he could be described as a social sort.

"...Magic, you say." He repeats the word matter-of-factly, but his eyes hold the scepticism. Even if this weird, tall guy tells of his lack of relation to magic, he seems so oddly at home here. Like with Gale, he seems somewhat hesistant to remove his eyes but eventually, as Navvie looks round the inn, Isenn also sweeps his eyes across the open room with but a slight turn of the head. Is 'better than nothing' really a good reason to accept a vague, seemingly peculiar job in a peculiar place like this?

The latter reason Navvie gives is a reason more readily accepted, and attention is swiftly returned to that odd sight when the former mercenary pats his weaponized limb. Here, the dark-eyed man's eyes turn to their usual, dull quality, nearly deadpan as he tries and manages to keep himself from voicing his thoughts aloud. 'Surely that kind of thing will keep even the -good- kind of customers away.' All while staring, he does mindlessly mouth the word 'enchantment' without speaking it aloud, before realisation of the matter kicking in. He's enchanted just by being here then? He doesn't ask the 'tender to elaborate, and just perks up with a sudden focus back in his eyes.

"Kah- Isenn. Kahfdal." The young man swiftly recovers from being horribly distracted. Still, his eyes are fairly flickery when he sits up to accept and shake that large hand. Yet despite his shifty demeanour, the hand offered is firm and solid and like before, he manages to assume a formal posture for a brief moment for this gesture, "Formerly 'not-lost'. Now lost in the weirdest place I've ever been. Err-, you don't happen to have seen a horse around these parts? I have around 6 hours left before the bosskillsmefornotbeingbackontimewith-..." His words are quick to fade into a mutter. Again, as realisation at his predicament hits, the guy looks prepared to drop his forehead to the counter.

The Barkeep drew a breath through his nose and exhaled slowly as he turned his gaze towards the purple-tinted windows. He did not try to repeat the name with which Isenn introduced himself instead he spoke in a ponderous murmur.
"There's a stable outside. Though without a stable boy, I doubt any mount would stay there longer than until all eyes are off it. Maybe even sooner." He offered the thought a hearty chuckle, then shook his head before looking back at Isenn. "Sorry lad. 'Fraid I haven't seen yer horse."

Navvie then turned to some more mundane tasks regarding the upkeep of the bar, muttering to himself at the empty mugs left unattended and making the bar seem cluttered. He tried getting to work, then recalled the Faceless that offered their help before. With a sharp whistle, he beckoned the lot over and briskly requested they clean up the mess they've caused in the first place.
Watching them set to work a while, he let out a grudging grunt before turning his attention to Isenn.
"Where may ye be from then? And while yer at it, how did ye find yer way 'ere?" He grinned. "And if ye want to find yer way back, ye gotta ask the vixen o'er there how to do that. I'm just the barkeep 'ere." A short pause. "Unless o'course, ye've a better path finding sense or somethin'."

Himself, the mercenary arrived to the location following Rachel's lead. That vixen had a bit more of an arcane sense than he did, even though she'd never admit to being a magic user. Sly creature. From the corner of his eye, he could still see her strumming on her instrument and talking with the guests. Always the favourite.
Majken Wolffe (played by Lianoth)

"I would like to try working here, perhaps as a barmaid for a while? It would be interesting. I could use the coin to be honest." Chuckling, May looks at Rachel closely. "Do you think that would be an option?"
When she spots Navvie, she smiles at him and watches as he heads to attend to the bar. During her travels, she had met people from all regions and walks of life, but she had never seen anyone quite as large and intimidating as him. What exactly was that attached to his arm? She had never seen anything quite like it before. "I may even be able to help run the bar when there is no one else around. I have spent enough time in inns and taverns to know my way around. What do you say?"

Listening to the rest of the room as well as the conversation from the direction of the bar with one ear, Rachel smiled at May and spoke confidentially to her. "I think that if you would like to work at the bar, you could easily get the job. Particularly if ol' Navvie gathers too many negative opinions about his work here." She chuckled. "Not that I think that'll ever happen. But until then, we could indeed use your help if you're willing!" The Arctic vixen smiled at May, then folded her arms and looked around the main room of the inn again. "I can't promise excellent coin in a place visited by Faceless visitors, mostly. My hopes are Nermine visits later on and sorts that out." She frowned. "I mean. We get free sleep and food and drink here. But it would be nice to earn a bit of coin for the future too, no?"
The vixen winked at May, then turned to observe Navvie's conversation with one of the visitors a while longer before focusing on a tune she was playing a little more.

With a soundless sigh, the boy exhales, and his chest falls. As if to check and confirm, he drags his eyes to the oddly tinted glass with a click of the tongue, attempting to catch something like a glimpse at those stables. Well, if Gale was here, he'd probably have noticed when he arrived, so he takes Navvie's word for it. And even if Gale was here, she'd be off again without eyes on her. "I... I see." He mutters, "Thanks anyway." His shoulders are quick to droop again, but his eyes remain focused and sharp now. His mouth forms a thin, horizontal line as he stares off on the wood upon which his hands rest.

A brief silence follows here. Isenn watches the large man tend to the keeping of the bar, all while slowly, casually, shoving an empty mug away with a finger, but no more than an inch. His attention is only caught again when Navvie orders the Faceless around. Of course, the cannon-arm-man would leave big impressions, so he dares to consider his authority over the bar with a mildly bemused stare.

Once addressed again, the young man has already propped his chin in a palm, and his elbow on said counter. He has begun to stare off to the side at a wall, but more so in planning at what steps to take next, rather than hopelessness. As such, he answers with a tone indicating his present attention, "City of Llyne, beyond the Hills of Middor, inbetween the mountains of Kyrador, Attocia and Hyvia's Pass. The northern corner, mind." He pinches the bridge of his nose, massages it and closes his eyes, "But, err, currently staying in Greth's village, on the crossing."

His head tips back up when he attempts to recall the details of how he got here, all while glancing hesistantly at the vixen to his right throwing him a smile- A vixen? An actu- "Ah... Hm..." His surprise is quickly swallowed. He's fine. Things are fine. Or so he convinces himself. He's seen some weird stuff today. A vixen playing an instrument really shouldn't stall his working mind too much now for his sanity's sake, "I... ahem, stumbled into this place, by accident?" He offers Navvie with a squint, "But I swore I was in the southern fields just now- And until fourty minutes or so ago, I was -pretty- confident in my pathfinding abilities, but-" Here, he stops to clear his throat. "Aye, I'll just... ask her then..."

Zeki was looking at the commotion at the counter. "A guest wanting to be a barmaid, never heard that happen" he thought to himself. "Getting slightly hungry again...might as well ask" he said to himself as he started to slither his way towards the counter. He went next to the boy who asked about the stables and asked Navvie "So big man with the boom stick, what do you have to eat around here?" his arm leaning on the bar top, himself leaning forward a bit.

Navvie heard Isenn out, nodding now and again to his words while watching the progress of the Faceless in tidying up the bar and the mugs, as well as fetching orders from downstairs. He didn't seem mindful of the fact that now and again there would be one less Faceless returning from the basement. Despite that, there didn't seem to be a shortage of the strange folk and he was glad he didn't need to do all that on his own with only one hand to work with. Perceiving the empty mug Isenn seemed to be quietly nudging away from himself, Navvie shot the boy a questioning glance as if to confirm whether he wanted it refilled. Some barkeep he was, not remembering whether Isenn ordered a drink in the first place or if the mug was just coincidentally standing there to begin with.

"All sounds like a curious places to visit, aye?" The Barkeep asked by ways of showing attention rather than knowledge of what the places truly were. "Ne'er been there meself, even though bein' a mercenary takes you all over the world. Wherever there's work that pays." He grinned.
Once hearing Isenn's explanation on how he found himself here, Navvie boasted a laugh. "Aye, sounds quite a lot like how I've found m'self 'ere. Wizardly, I tell ye." Having caught the boy glancing towards the vixen playing music for the inn's visotors, Navvie nodded slightly before adding. "And aye. That's 'er. Has quite a sharp tongue for one that's supposed to scamper around on four rather than two paws." He chuckled. "But she's alright. Once ye get over the fact yer talkin' to an animal." Navvie winked and grinned broadly. Surprisingly, he seemed to have all his teeth.

Next, the Barkeep turned his attention to the guest that only just slithered over to the bar themselves, inquiring about something to eat. "That's a new one! Man with th'boom stick! I like it. Now, what would it be ye want to sink yer teeth in? I'll send a Faceless to check if we got it." Navvie glanced both sides, then leaned over the bar confidentially as he added. "The warlock left this box y'see. It's downstairs. Every other time 'tis a ravenous beast that'll sooner taker yer arm off than let you peek into it's stores. But once it's content, it's offerin' wha'ever ye want t'eat or drink." Measuring the gaze he received in response, Navvie laughed and added. "Hey, don' ask me how that works! Ask th' wizard once she comes 'round next."

Zeki grinned underneath his mask amused by the monster underneath the inn and replied "Well any meat is good enough for me" he towards the Navvie and added "Between you and me, I won't mind eating one of the Faceless...plus if I go down there, best bet your chest will become a statue, if you catch my meaning" he chuckled a little bit hinting at his turning beings into stone sight.

Navvie watched the strange masked fellow for a moment or two, particularly in response to their matter-of-fact statement that they'd devour one of the Faceless or turn the mimic downstairs into stone. Squinting his eyes at him, the barkeep replied. "Well lookee 'ere. By the looks o' them Faceless ye may get a bit o' a nasty stomach ache if ye eat one of em. But... Oy!" Navvie turned and raised his right hand to one of the nearby Faceless helping out at the bar. "Fetch some meat for our customer from downstairs will ye?"
"W-what kind of meat, sir?"
Here, the barkeep glanced at masked man, grinned, then added without averting his eyes from him. "Any'll do." Then, turning to look towards the Faceless, he added sternly. "Just don't get yeself eaten while ye're at it."
As the Faceless went into the basement uncertainly, Navvie focused his attention on the masked fellow again. "So what may yer name be? Ye who claims to be able to turn even eyeless boxes filled with teeth into stone?"

Zeki looked at Navvie with his bright yellow eyes and said "I am Zeki Morgan, my good man, I'm wash at some my consider a gorgan since I'm related to my mother, Medusa if you ever heard of her. Just like her anything that looks at my face gets turned into stone...that's why I wear the mask or have my eyes closed" he boasted as hit his chest slightly. "Also I doubt this faceless will cause me a stomach ach...you don't wanna know what i have eaten over the years" he said in a joking manner.

Navvie grinned. "Zeki then. I'm Navvie, the barkeep as ye prolly already know." Hearing out his story regarding to how he came to be, the former mercenary nodded slightly. "Heard a thing or two of yer lot, aye. And speaking of turning things that look at ye into stone, may be a problem with that mimic fellow, y'know? As I said. Bugger has no eyes!"
Just then, the Faceless tasked with bringing food from the creature returned. Surprisingly intact. The Faceless had a broad, relieved smile on their face as it held several slabs of beef in its arms. "I've returned!" The Faceless announced triumphantly.
Navvie nodded, reaching down for a plate on which the Faceless promptly deposited the meat and scampered away, then turned to look at Zeki. "Want it prepared somehow first?" The barkeep recalled how Zeki said it could be any sort of meat. Even raw flesh of questionable quality.

His eyes widen at the slabs of meat and said "This is fine" he lifted his mask up slightly so his mouth would be exposed and grabbed a piece of meat and slid entire piece into his mouth, fangs exposed dripping with acid upon the meat. "Hmmm delicious" he exclaimed before going for another slab, licking his lips.

The barkeep grinned at the sight of how ravenously Zeki flung himself at the meat brought from downstairs. With a passing gaze around the main room of the inn to see if matters were going orderly, he sat back on a stool of his own and leaned against the bar with his right arm on it's wooden surface. "I avn't seen any price charts 'round 'ere yet so that one's on the house, me thinks." Navvie squinted slightly. "Unless you 'av a will to donate to keep the fiend downstairs from tryin' to eat people."
Navvie laughed. Truly, the inn still lacked a few key points in regards to making it function smoothly. As it stood, the inn was a couple days old. Things were still being figured out.

"Well thanks, lucky I don't have much" he said as he went into town wit the slabs of meats wolfing them down one by one, enjoying whatever animal or person it was.
Majken Wolffe (played by Lianoth)

May went downstairs, shooing the faceless out of the way as she went. Were there more of them than there had been before? They seemed to be duplicating!
Looking around in the dark room at the bottom of the stairs, she spotted the CHoMP currently chewing on the leg of one of the faceless. Remembering what Navvie had said, she held out a coin towards it. "I would like an apron please."
The chest released the faceless and gobbled up the money, opening afterwards and revealing the apron she was looking for. Pulling it out of the chest, May patted the CHoMP gently before heading upstairs. It really wasn't such a bad creature at all.
Tying the apron around herself, she started walking around the tables and clearing up the glasses and dishes that had been left behind by the guests - mostly the faceless. She then walked to the kitchen at the back and started washing them up. Finding a cloth behind the bar, she scooted past Navvie and started cleaning the tables whilst humming along to a familiar tune that Rachel was playing.

The look loaded with the unspoken question is returned with, at first, an impassive look before Isenn seems to realise what the conspicious bartender may be trying to ask. Sitting up one more time, he shakes his head slightly but quickly while retreating the finger from the mug. It's not his, just a random thing already standing there, but even if it was he frankly doesn't have a single coin of change on his person to pay a drink with. Actually, he isn't feeling thirsty at all in the first place.

Instead, he mutters and repeats, slowly turning a bit on his high stool to face the inn room a bit better, all while his elbow remains leant on the counter; his fingers have begun tapping again, though way more soundless this time, "Interesting places, aye... In the end, the young man simply has to conclude that, as Navvie confirms, he really didn't get here through normal means. Wizardry? He scratches his cheek as he ponders, only scarcely daring to stare at the vixen up ahead as to not let his gaze fall too heavily. One last time does Isenn glance back at Navvie who shoots him that wink at the last moment, before he seems to make his decision. Especially when the Naga-man slithers up to the bar. That's when he decides it's a good moment to slip away, off his stool, shoulders snapped back and hands finding his pockets.

Besides his scepticism, the musical vixen is scrutinised with a sense of wonder and an attempt at comprehending the sight. Still, his approach is deliberate and not as hesistant as when he entered the inn, "Excuse me..." He starts, his sound measured to be just loud enough over the hustle and bustle of the room's liveliness.

Navvie observed the proceedings with a nod and a casual eye at the work of the Faceless at the bar. If anything, he would not let them do something he didn't tell them or want them to do. He, sincerely, wanted to believe the beef brought by one of them for Zeki to eat was, indeed, an animal of some sort. Personally, he didn't care much of it seeing that the gorgon gleefully wolfed it all down regardless. He gave it a shrug and a small smile before catching the glimpse of a woman making her way downstairs. He was about to raise a hand and call up to her to stop and go back but she was too swift about it, and the Faceless in between him and the staircase prevented him from intervening in a more meaningful manner. When, after not that long a time, she emerges unscathed and wearing an apron she did not seem to have before, Navvie raised a brow and concluded she must've been some sort of mimic-whisperer. Or, perhaps, had the coin to persuade it to do that she wanted it to do. It gave out aprons, though? That was interesting news, indeed.
"So ye're hired?" Navvie asked the woman casually as she passed by him momentarily to get a cloth and proceed to cleaning what mess the Faceless left behind. The man smiled. "Well, that'll certainly be of help here y'know. The inn is a little understaffed, don't ye think?" A pause. "Hopefully, next that warlock visits, she'll bring us some additional aid" He then looked towards the vixen, raising a brow as he saw Isenn walk towards her to have that talk he did mention having. Out of all the folk working at the Inn, she with her strumming seemed to have the easiest task. All she did was play an instrument after all.

Rachel watched as May departed to go about her newly assumed chores and smiled. Once alone for a minute, she resumed playing on her guitar a little louder, adding to it a song for the visitor's entertainment;
Kind friends and companions, come join me in rhym.
Come lift up your voices in chorus with mine.
Come lift up your voices, all grief to refrain.
For we may or might never all meet here again.
She sang, until some of the Faceless picked the words up themselves and turned the discordant hubbub into a more pleasing hum, when one of the guests approached her and asked her attention. She smiled as she strummed on a little quieter, turning her pale blue eyes to regard him with interest and attention as she nodded in response to his polite request.
"Yes sir? How can I be of assistance?"
She seemed oblivious of the fact she was, indeed, a bipedal vixen in a bard's clothing and with a guitar in her paws. Rachel was, in fact, perfectly fine despite being the only such creature in the inn, it seemed. Other than the warlock, but she was not currently visiting. Hopefully, she would visit sooner rather than later!

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Wit Inn (Closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus