Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What's your fuse?

In writing RP, reading a book or fanfiction, or watchign a movie...

Whats the one thing (Or multiple things) That you see that make you just want to kick something and stop reading?

Me? Stupidity without judgement.

I was reading a pokemon FF. It was well writen and all... and then it happened. One of the lead characters is a ditzy, stupid, shallow girl. She decides to join the rockets. "Oh, they're not that bad."

WHAT THE F-(Explosion)

And she gets off scot free! Stupid little ingrate needs to be forehead slammed into my knee! That kind of mentality is revolting! If the girl would get tossed in jail, or eaten by Scythers, then it wouldn't be near as bad. And the MAIN character gets the cold shoulder in the end and ends up alone!

rant over

Point is what's something you hate to see that makes your blood boil?
Minerva

Inconsistency. Content. It's why I'm obsessed with persona 4; so many people miss little unanswered details, and are like "izanami no who? What other dungeon? i can still fight on my last day in town?" whereas some books have inconsistent or disjointed content that just naturally conflicts with itself. So yeah.
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Bad endings.

You can be reading, watching or playing a great story, really getting into it and then the writer just doesn't know how to end it so they throw something together that is very unsatisfying.

For example, I read a series of 9 Star Wars novels a few years back. There were three authors working together and the last one was written by the weakest of the group. The book had a lot of things to resolve and the potential for something really great. Instead it was the shortest book in the series, felt like the author just couldn't be bothered.

It actually took me a year before I could read another book after that and I've given up on Star Wars books (I make exceptions for Timothy Zahn's but only his) as well.
I have to agree with Darth, bad endings.

I was reading a sting of books by Barbra Michael's and I love the majority of them, and started this great one (houses of stone), there was all this mystery intrigue and creepy humor and imagery that made me want to keep reading...then I got to the last 70 or so pages and she started to tie up loose ends, it was very poorly done and I was pissed when I finished the book.
Drayle88 Topic Starter

Obvious OOCs. This is particually bad in Fanfic.

When they totally ruin a person by aplying them to the authors ideal image. Now, if its AU then its ok, just say so. But when you have Naruto and Sasuke forming a gay punk goth band and they both are related to each other?...

No. I will rage quit so hard on my computer
Minerva

I consider than consistency. Perhaps you should stop reading fanfics?
Drayle88 Topic Starter

Brooding. Obvious, annoying, never ending like a cancer brooding.

Get the fudge over it allready, yes you're family died, yes your love died, yes your best friend in teh wolrd died.

LIFE MOVES ON. I understand a grieving and a dark period in life, but COME ON! If that was the case then the whole world would be a big emo mess!! It'd be planet Emo!

Those who are guilty of this is: Cloud, Squall, Sasuke, anyone who swore vengance and never got it, a majoraty of side/optional characters.
Drayle88 Topic Starter

Minerva wrote:
I consider than consistency. Perhaps you should stop reading fanfics?
How is that consistant?
Minerva

It is a matter of consistency. Fanfics are always gonna have trouble staying true to author's original intent. To use an example, what darth said. So many authors have worked on star wars at this point, and he ended up unfulfilled... And they know a lot more about star wars than any fanfictioness. It is itself inconsistent but. Eh, I'd say pick up some of the hit books instead of a fic. You'll run into it less.
Drayle88 Topic Starter

Minerva wrote:
It is a matter of consistency. Fanfics are always gonna have trouble staying true to author's original intent. To use an example, what darth said. So many authors have worked on star wars at this point, and he ended up unfulfilled... And they know a lot more about star wars than any fanfictioness. It is itself inconsistent but. Eh, I'd say pick up some of the hit books instead of a fic. You'll run into it less.

Writing off a spin of a series isn't the problem, ive done it plenty times myself. But its the sheer blatancy that I have issue with, left unchecked. Now, I've seen some fanfiction that was WAY better then the original work, but that only proves a point. FF serves to let a writer do what they want with a story. And while I am against most of what most writers do, that doesn't mean I have a problem with what they write. Its the changing the fundemental core of the story itself and writing it off as 'the way it happened.'
Minerva

I prefer those that can do better coming up with their own stories. :) Rick Riordan mmm.
Drayle88 Topic Starter

Minerva wrote:
I prefer those that can do better coming up with their own stories. :) Rick Riordan mmm.

True enough.
I do not have a fuse, that I have found or others have found. I have no anger, and I enjoy all characters, even the over powered ones. For my characters are their fuse, but I do not design them with that in mind~
The following are things that disgruntle wizards, or, at least, this particular one:

a) Terribad Time travel. Paradoxes without consequences. Things that would implode the universe getting pulled off anyway with no evident explanation!

b) Characters that don't react appropriately or are so jaded that nothing surprises, frightens, startles, frustrates or unsettles them. 'Anger', 'emo', 'righteous', 'happy' and 'meh' should not be anyone's only palette of feelings for scenes and situations. >%(

c) Obvious and pointless fan service, canon or fan-generated--see the inclusion of Derpy Hooves' name and speaking lines in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. See also 99% of fanfics.

*erects a defensive fortress*

See also Harry Potter.

d) Pointless grimdark. It makes me so very sad, and also grumpy.
Drayle88 Topic Starter

Wizard wrote:
The following are things that disgruntle wizards, or, at least, this particular one:

a) Terribad Time travel. Paradoxes without consequences. Things that would implode the universe getting pulled off anyway with no evident explanation!

b) Characters that don't react appropriately or are so jaded that nothing surprises, frightens, startles, frustrates or unsettles them. 'Anger', 'emo', 'righteous', 'happy' and 'meh' should not be anyone's only palette of feelings for scenes and situations. >%(

c) Obvious and pointless fan service, canon or fan-generated--see the inclusion of Derpy Hooves' name and speaking lines in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. See also 99% of fanfics.

*erects a defensive fortress*

See also Harry Potter.

d) Pointless grimdark. It makes me so very sad, and also grumpy.

You. Are. Awesome.
Yeah but in AC Cloud gets over his brooding in the end. He made peace before the Kadaj fight.
Drayle88 wrote:
Brooding. Obvious, annoying, never ending like a cancer brooding.

Get the fudge over it allready, yes you're family died, yes your love died, yes your best friend in teh wolrd died.

LIFE MOVES ON. I understand a grieving and a dark period in life, but COME ON! If that was the case then the whole world would be a big emo mess!! It'd be planet Emo!

Those who are guilty of this is: Cloud, Squall, Sasuke, anyone who swore vengance and never got it, a majoraty of side/optional characters.
SeraphicStar

Drayle88 wrote:

People get this wrong a lot. Cloud wasn't emo, he was rather silly. Then again I only played the original FF7. As for Squall, he wasn't emo, he was just messed up in the head. That's what you get when you're a child soldier.

Wizard wrote:

A thousand times yes.
SeraphicStar wrote:
Wizard wrote:

A thousand times yes.

And then some. Even if you have seen it all, at least try to make your character react appropriately to something that is just plain out of the ordinary.

Also posts and descriptions full of fluff instead of meaningful actions/descriptive words bothers me. And tons of purple prose in both.
Minerva

agreed, copper. And... People misread a lot of ff7. Most people don't even see the subtext of jenova's manipulation by masquerading as sephiroth. O-o cloud was just a brainwashed science experiment with an identity crisis. I will, however, say squall was too broody. Even knowing his full history.
Copper_Dragon wrote:
SeraphicStar wrote:
Wizard wrote:

A thousand times yes.

And then some. Even if you have seen it all, at least try to make your character react appropriately to something that is just plain out of the ordinary.

Also posts and descriptions full of fluff instead of meaningful actions/descriptive words bothers me. And tons of purple prose in both.

^ Agreement to infinity and beyond.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What's your fuse?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus