Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » RP partners: falling out & should it affect the RP

I will roleplay with just about anyone on a surface level, but if someone has been disrespectful to me or my brother on an out of character level, I will typically not let the roleplay go beyond that. I have no time to go into deep and long drawn out plots with people who are buttholes. Beyond that, I tend to steer clear of bullies or trolls because they're honestly not worth anyone's time. I think harassing anyone over a silly furry text game is pretty lame, but on the same note I think intentionally copying and/or ripping information is equally as lame. These are the kind of hordes I keep at arm's length.
Sanne Moderator

Fiebs wrote:
best advice for everyone to chill n remember it's all words n images at the end of the end. We're all hallucinating scenarios with each other's creations and that's so weird and magical...

U know I'll probably write something more relevant and useful in a bit tho.

I can totally understand that point of view. I think for some of us, we take it more seriously because roleplaying is a serious investment of energy and time. I know that I have to meticulously plan my RP time into my schedule because a) my health can really limit how much energy I have to invest in a game, b) I want to avoid burnout in roleplaying and not push myself past my limits, as I do enjoy the hobby very much and c) I want to ensure that everyone involved in my games has fun, and that takes some effort on my behalf as well.

I know of plenty of people who have ample of time and energy to roleplay whenever the mood strikes, sometimes for days on end. That's absolutely fine (and pretty goshdang awesome if you ask me!) but I also notice that I struggle more with these people than others. Because they have so many resources to put into a day of RP and I don't, they sometimes aren't able to sympathize or understand why I may need a day or two to get a post out, and that can cause friction and frustration. Even though we're just participating in a hobby, it's still important enough for people to invest a lot of themselves into and it sometimes means you just have to be a bit more careful with how you treat one another, be open minded and communicate properly. :)
Vinters wrote:
I will roleplay with just about anyone on a surface level, but if someone has been disrespectful to me or my brother on an out of character level, I will typically not let the roleplay go beyond that. I have no time to go into deep and long drawn out plots with people who are buttholes. Beyond that, I tend to steer clear of bullies or trolls because they're honestly not worth anyone's time. I think harassing anyone over a silly furry text game is pretty lame, but on the same note I think intentionally copying and/or ripping information is equally as lame. These are the kind of hordes I keep at arm's length.
flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

I couldn't resist. I accept my backlash now. LOL.
backlash incoming, u goon.

ZUgWJfY.gif

that said, everyone's raised a lot of good points. evidently i have a bit to think about.
rule-63 wrote:
backlash incoming, u goon.

ZUgWJfY.gif

that said, everyone's raised a lot of good points. evidently i have a bit to think about.

There it be. My ending.

anyway i always go with the rp with them if you can stand them still and want to but if it is going to cause issues better to just drop them and the connection entirely.
heya sanne! (: and now i have a keyboard i can articulate properly. you have a valid point. for me personally rp is a relaxing thing, i mainly head canonise and world-build with friends these days -- but it's still a way to invest your creativity and curate ideas into something meaningful, we are assigning images and sensations and visceral vitality to things nobody really acknowledges face to face.

we are seeing other people's thoughts, morals and ideas spun out as ideas and into creations, so i can understand wanting positive feelings attached to those things.

on that same key, i'm really laid back and it takes a lot for me to cut someone off-- i've only had to do it once or twice and generally in the end things pan out.

these things generally stem from two things: possessiveness and communication.

communication can circumvent and fix a lot things.

rp partners aren't personal possessions and it's conkers to think that way; their ocs don't belong to you just as you don't belong to anyone but yourself.

your friends/partner roleplaying with other people is not an attack on you as a person, it's not an attack on your writing style or your character. it's not your place (or theirs) to decide how many plots (and players they can play with etc.) they / you can have.

and if you don't like a plot or player, disappearing, leaving someone hanging without word is really unkind and can leave a person feeling even more hurt than if you had just said something, that way they aren't wasting their time and getting hurt. if you have someone who is interested in rp with you, but you're not interested in rp with them, it's just a lot easier and kinder to say you're not interested but you hope they find someone who is soon.

Sanne wrote:
Fiebs wrote:
best advice for everyone to chill n remember it's all words n images at the end of the end. We're all hallucinating scenarios with each other's creations and that's so weird and magical...

U know I'll probably write something more relevant and useful in a bit tho.

I can totally understand that point of view. I think for some of us, we take it more seriously because roleplaying is a serious investment of energy and time. I know that I have to meticulously plan my RP time into my schedule because a) my health can really limit how much energy I have to invest in a game, b) I want to avoid burnout in roleplaying and not push myself past my limits, as I do enjoy the hobby very much and c) I want to ensure that everyone involved in my games has fun, and that takes some effort on my behalf as well.

I know of plenty of people who have ample of time and energy to roleplay whenever the mood strikes, sometimes for days on end. That's absolutely fine (and pretty goshdang awesome if you ask me!) but I also notice that I struggle more with these people than others. Because they have so many resources to put into a day of RP and I don't, they sometimes aren't able to sympathize or understand why I may need a day or two to get a post out, and that can cause friction and frustration. Even though we're just participating in a hobby, it's still important enough for people to invest a lot of themselves into and it sometimes means you just have to be a bit more careful with how you treat one another, be open minded and communicate properly. :)
As always Fiebs, you had me smiling. Yes that's how I would look at roleplaying with partners and how to conduct OOC and IC interactions appropriately.
Basalt

Breaking a one-on-one character connection after a severe enough ooc fall out is reasonable. This could be healthy, even, for both players. It's unusual to think it would be at all reasonable to force two players to pursue an in-depth scenario that they probably can't discuss openly without some kind of anxiety. Like having a significant other who's 'not there' in a relationship. Sure, they can pull it off, but it's just not good.

What seems off is people being bullied or ostracized from entire groups due to a single issue with one of the other players. It does all come down to the players as individuals as to whether or not being chased out/chasing someone out actually gets under their skin. There are certainly people who are laid back enough to extract themselves from a situation before anything more negative comes of it. However, it can be disruptive when people try to make an entire group of writers alienate another because of a personal agenda. That behavior affects the plots of everyone in the group, and that can be rather inconsiderate.

These are opinions, and as malleable as anything as I experience more.

For a lot of us, it's just a silly time-waster, but it's important to consider that for some people it's their only or most influential hobby. There are writers for whom this is a deep and personal investment and they can become genuinely distressed when an RP partnership takes a sour turn. No one should be forced to maintain a direct connection that's bad for them. However, a personal vendetta should remain personal; it's inappropriate that other writers be asked to carry it.
Okay so, may be a wall of text, may not be. Basically....

I am a person that doesn't mind having short-term or long term rps. However, when someone plans out a long-term RP wiuth me or on specific characters (whether that be one on one or in a group or in a continuity with an entire dream), I feel like its a sort of unspoken agreement that if something occurs (be it IC or OOC) that it needs to be discussed, or there at least needs to be COMMUNICATION between the parties.

To use another one of those fancy analogies;
Person A is RPing Character 1 with Person B's Character 1.
Person B's Character 1 is under the assumption that Person A is aware of the plots that tie those character together, that plot involving OTHER characters. However, suddenly, without informing Person B, Person A Sells/erases/deletes/Retcons Character 1, and never tells Person B.

Not only does this affect both the characters, but also leaves Person A, OOCly, feeling used.
As 'Person A' for a very, very long period of time, you begin to feel like YOU are the problem--that its YOUR rp, that YOU suck at it, that nobody wants to rp with you because maybe you get too attached, maybe you get too into the plot, maybe you're too clingy, maybe your OOC relationship (friendship or otherwise) wasn't as strong as you thought it was.

Basically, reiterating the points of in CERTAIN SITUATIONS, you can keep OOC and IC separate. Like its been said before, you really shouldn't ostracize one person from an entire group just because you've personally had a bad experience with them, but you don't need to RP with them one-on-one if you don't want to, or if it makes you uncomfortable.
On the other hand, you also don't need to RP with anybody that makes YOU uncomfortable.

Sometimes its fun to make your characters uncomfortable, and we all know a ton of us love abusing our characters and throwing them into situations that can hurt them, but be careful not to inadvertently hurt yourself, or the other person behind that character. We ARE all people, and I don't know about the rest of you, but I do put parts of myself into every character I make, and its hard for me not to take things personally sometimes (though as anybody who's rped with me knows, I am a very blunt and honest person and will outright tell you in clear words if I am feeling uncomfortable or if something's hurt my feelings).

Like Bishop said, for me, RPing is not only my hobby, but my stress relief. Being disabled and mildly agoraphobic, I do not have friends in real life. I leave my house perhaps once or twice a week, at most. This is my hobby, my stress relief, the way I form friends and bonds with people with common interests, the way I learn about the world, and the way I try to work out my own problems. Its therapeutic for me, but when that enjoyment and stress relief becomes more stressing because of people or situations, there s very clearly a problem.
Also what might start drama? (And I thought about this after reading) -- promising someone that they would roleplay with them, then continuously putting them off putting them off while rping with other parties (or even bragging about other roleplays to the person you promised potential plot bunnies with). THAT is pretty shitty and inconsiderate but also another "drama" enduring mannerism players tend to do.
Clove wrote:
Also what might start drama? (And I thought about this after reading) -- promising someone that they would roleplay with them, then continuously putting them off putting them off while rping with other parties (or even bragging about other roleplays to the person you promised potential plot bunnies with). THAT is pretty shitty and inconsiderate but also another "drama" enduring mannerism players tend to do.

Or another thing; people not wanting to continue a previously started rp. It is TOTALLY OKAY for you to want to back out of an rp or a plot, but don't just drop off the face of the earth, or just ignore that person, or just 'oh no I'm busy, another time' and that 'other time' never comes.
Xor'Athalos (played by Kaiser)

Whether it "should" or not, a fallout between players is going to affect the RP. By how much is decided by each person's experiences and maturity level.

I think the most important thing is to find a solution that makes sense ICly. I've had a few plot lines entirely retconned, and entirely by my partners' choices to the point that Xorath's history should not exist, so I've had to compensate on his end so hard that it nearly breaks the fourth wall.

As far as continuing to have characters interact, I think it should be done if it makes sense. Most often, this implies a public setting. Private settings are a little different, and I think most characters would excuse themselves from an uncomfortable situation.

Also, I'm of the opinion that OOC investment is to be limited to a healthy level. You get invested into characters of a book, right? Well, RP is a book that you're only co-author of. You can't just write an angry email to an author and get your way, so you have to accept that your characters are part of something larger than your writing. Similarly, you're going to get "angry letters" (ooc grief and fit-having) from other players.

I'm rambling now but whatever, right? ONE MOOOOOORE THING! I can't count the number of times there's been a misunderstanding of some sort and I've found myself held at arm's length by people I don't even know. It's for this reason that I will RP with anybody regardless of troubled past (as humans we should be able to eventually move past that), or what I've heard about them. Take care to take warnings and rumors with a grain of salt, because they're generally one-sided and the result of a falling out.

I can't say it often enough: Be considerate. Furcadia in particular is a small place, and you'll find that RP communities in general are too.
Xor'Athalos (played by Kaiser)

Clove wrote:

So, the bragging bit is definitely out of line, but I've kind of been on the other side of this a lot.

I can tell you that it isn't intentional for me, personally. Unless someone makes plans to RP with me at x date and y time, I'm going to accept requests to RP when they aren't around. I can only wait so long before the hours are gone in a day. Oftentimes, I'd have the person who's been waiting appear online soon after I start and ask what I'm up to. It's an extraordinarily uncomfortable situation.
There are a lot of good points here, but in the end I believe drama to be a double edged sword. It takes two to tango and sometimes a group to dance. There will always be a difference of opinions and different sides of the story. Each person will usually think they're in the right, when they both could quite possibly be in the wrong. I'm not saying that there aren't people that will blatently go out of their way to create chaos and hurt, because unfortunately they do exist. But most of the time everyone has a reason for the way they act or feel.
On a personal note, much like what Vinters said... If you're ignorant to me or those closest to me, I'll pretend like you don't exist in my world and I just won't humor you or your intentions.
Basalt

Xorathalos wrote:
I'm rambling now but whatever, right? ONE MOOOOOORE THING! I can't count the number of times there's been a misunderstanding of some sort and I've found myself held at arm's length by people I don't even know. It's for this reason that I will RP with anybody regardless of troubled past (as humans we should be able to eventually move past that), or what I've heard about them. Take care to take warnings and rumors with a grain of salt, because they're generally one-sided and the result of a falling out.

This is such an unfortunate thing! People rely on information from one another and it's totally normal and reasonable, but I can't even tell you how many people I've asked for proof of shenanigans who could provide nothing. Usually, it's all perspective and presumption. Sometimes there's an unwillingness to acknowledge that everyone's actions are their own and no one can "make" a person do or feel anything. In cases like these, I've personally benefited from ignoring the informant's misinformation and learning for myself. At worst you have proof of bad behavior, and at best you have an amazing plot.

Even more frequently time passes and the individual's underlying issues have been resolved. Change is one of the scariest and most amazing things people are capable of. So regardless of what you've heard, if you see something you like in a character's RPR, by golly GO FOR IT!
Bishop wrote:
Xorathalos wrote:

This is such an unfortunate thing! People rely on information from one another and it's totally normal and reasonable, but I can't even tell you how many people I've asked for proof of shenanigans who could provide nothing. Usually, it's all perspective and presumption. Sometimes there's an unwillingness to acknowledge that everyone's actions are their own and no one can "make" a person do or feel anything. In cases like these, I've personally benefited from ignoring the informant's misinformation and learning for myself. At worst you have proof of bad behavior, and at best you have an amazing plot.

Even more frequently time passes and the individual's underlying issues have been resolved. Change is one of the scariest and most amazing things people are capable of. So regardless of what you've heard, if you see something you like in a character's RPR, by golly GO FOR IT!

she's right.
Not reading through previous comments because I'm short on time so apologies if I say something already covered.

For me it depends on the type of disagreement going on. I can bicker with people all the time and still RP with them just fine. Hell, my best friend and I do it quite often xD I think the key to a good relationship, no matter what level it's on, is communication. Yes, she and I will bicker but at the same time we're talking out issues we have and looking for ways to resolve them. I personally hate conflict and will do everything in my power to either avoid it or find a way to fix it so it doesn't happen again.
I will part ways with people under certain circumstances, though.
One, if they flake out on me multiple times then I will put my foot down and refuse any further. I'm not saying they just never finished an RP with me because I'm notorious about not quite wrapping mine up (sorry to everyone but i suck like that LOL) but more like they utterly stop in the middle of it and never get back to you, or make excuses not to finish it, or keep promising and never do. People will land themselves on my RP blacklist because of this. And yes, I can still be friends with them but I simply won't put myself through the annoyance of their flakiness.
Two, if a person takes something that happened ICly into the personal OOC realm. Yes, we can all get attached and affected by what happens to our characters, but what happens in RP stays IC - plain and simple. A character making a hateful comment to yours is not that player making a hateful comment to you and should never be perceived that way. When someone crosses that line, I'm done with them. A subcategory, if you will, is when plot turns out to be undesireable or even sometimes not what you agreed to. I've had instances of a character of mine falling into an endless loop of abuse that no matter how I tried, could not get him out of it. And though I approached my RP partner about this several times they continued with it. So, I dropped them. If someone can't respect your comfort level and consent rules, they don't need to be RPing with you.
Three, and the easiest and fastest way to make it onto my blacklist is just being and outright awful person to me or people I am especially close to. Cyberbullying, manipulating, blaming, or bringing my personal affairs into things utterly unrelated. These are lines you don't cross as a decent human being. I will not tolerate that behavior and will cut someone off entirely for it, and have before. For example, giving your RP partner an ultimatum to choose between them or someone else/another group is unacceptable. They don't own you, they don't get to dictate who you socialize with. Another could be when they decide your time with them is more important than time with your family and outright blame said family for problems with the RP. Unless they are your family then they have absolutely no business dragging them through the mud of their own problems. It's inappropriate and a little stalker-y. Things like that I have zero tolerance for.

Everyone is different, but it is important when getting into these relationships that you establish good communication and stay mature. Generally most issues can be talked through as most are misommunication or the wrong emotion conveyed. I'll generally forget an issue was ever an issue when it's approached in a polite and civilized matter rather than it being argued about.
"Hey, it just seems a little unfair your character isn't taking any hits." VS "UM SO THATS POWERPLAYING YOU NEED TO TAKE A @#%$% HIT ALREADY IM GETTING REALLY UPSET" See the difference?

Communication is key
I'm out the moment OOC discussions and roleplayer relationships affect the behaviour of characters in a roleplay. It is unprofessional and childish behaviour that I, personally, do not tolerate. I will quit a roleplay before it goes that far. It would be like going to the theatre to watch a play, where the characters are OOC due to the actors having issues with eachother. Would you enjoy a play like that? Would you, really?

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » RP partners: falling out & should it affect the RP

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus