Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Pokemon Sun/Moon?

After months and months of careful budgeting I finally put aside enough recreational money to get Sun! Preordered it just four hours ago and hoo boy I am so, so excited for this game to be released.

I'm really interested to see if Primarina is the first starter that has a higher female percentage than male. I speculate it will be!

I was going to go with Litten at first but you can bet your bottom dollar I was disappointed with Incineroar. I mean...
... don't tell me it doesn't look just like Squanchy from Rick and Morty. It totally does. I hate it.
Dragonfire Moderator

I've been on a strict no-spoilers moratorium since we started getting information about the Kanto redesigns. I don't even know what the final starter evos are - I can't wait to find out. :3

Moon was basically a day-one preorder for me. I think I'm going to go with Rowlet!

(In somewhat related news, I have a single Pokémon left to get to finish my full National 'Dex on Omega Ruby - Meloetta. Either I trade something ridiculous, or I just wait until December 1st when the downloads are released, but, but... by then there's going to be however many new ones in the meantime to capture and I still will not have a full 'dex. I cannot win for losing. :P)
I can't wait until it comes out I'm going to get it and the players guide too
TinyCentaur Topic Starter

Meanwhile, I am very jealous of the Australians/Americans/Whoever else got their copy of su/mo today.

I live in Europe and I still got another week. Woo...
I wish Nintendo would do another global release like they did with X and Y. It would be a lot fairer for the players too.
Still. Excited though!
TiniestCentaur wrote:
Meanwhile, I am very jealous of the Australians/Americans/Whoever else got their copy of su/mo today.

I live in Europe and I still got another week. Woo...
I wish Nintendo would do another global release like they did with X and Y. It would be a lot fairer for the players too.
Still. Excited though!

Let's avoid spoilers together~
Sanne Moderator

It's December now, so I think most people had a chance to play the game! Probably best to only talk about game mechanics and stuff but not spoil storyline and special events. :) Use the spoiler tag if you want to talk about the plot:
Code:
[spoiler]The stuff you don't want to spoil for others.[/spoiler]

I was talking about SuMo in chat and figured I'd post it here to continue the discussion!

I love like 80% of it. I'm super impressed with a lot of UI changes and I adore that boxed Pokemon aren't just in mystery boxes and nobody knows how they're doing. They actually get to roam islands, explore caves and exist even when not on your team which makes me feel a lot more attached to them.

I adore that HM slaves are no longer a thing and that all HMs are now summon-able Pokemon instead.

I really like the trial challenges. It still feels like Gyms but just different enough to make me not know what to expect. I realize I got way too comfortable with the old setup and it was no longer any surprise.

I'm less impressed with the massive number of double battles when running into wild Pokemon though. Especially when I just want to catch one, whittle it down just low enough, and then it keeps calling ally after ally. Can't catch any Pokemon if there is more than 2 opposing Pokemon. That gets old fast and just becomes a source of frustration if you're a casual player and don't care about IVs or special abilities.

My current team iiis:

Alolan Persian (Percy)
Snorlax (Waffles) - evolved from the free Munchlax event!
Primarina (Aquamarine)
Growlithe (Happy) - waiting to evolve him until he learns Flare Blitz
Mudsdale (Lala) - new favorite Pokemon in this gen
Haunter (Minerva)

So far I've been able to complete most trials without too much of a problem. I like that the game gives you plenty of chances to level your team without having to resort to grinding.

What is everyone's current team and thoughts on the games so far? :O

(I'm also looking for an Alolan Vulpix - female preferred. Not picky on ability but if at all possible with a modest, mild or neutral nature. PM me if you've got one to spare! I have a copy of Moon so let me know if I can catch you anything you want in return.)
I have a work around for the catching Pokémon problem you're having Sanne. What I usually do when I come across a Pokémon I want to catch is immediately throw an Ultra Ball at it. Usually I get it first try, but I keep throwing Ultra Balls until I get it. XD (Or whatever ball would fit the current situation. i.e. Dusk Ball in a cave, etc.)

As for where I am in Pokémon Moon, I finished all the trials and am now training a team for the Elite Four. It's going to be a bit grindy, but I have the strategy guide that I'm going to go back and get all the things that I missed while playing without it. :P
Yes I'm getting one of them for Christmas
I've paused in my copy of Moon due to hitting a wall (I tend to scrape by the skin of my teeth, ehe), buuut...

My team:
Taunter (Haunter, M)
Gaebora (Decidueye, M)
Joh (Snorlax, M)
Sparx (Jolteon, M)
Grig (Klefki, M)
Hann (Alolan Marowak, M)

I'm enjoying the game! Hilariously enough the only disappointment has been a lack of clothing in shops. Unlike XY, the shops don't seem to cycle their wares daily?
Sanne Moderator

AshAngg2000 wrote:
I have a work around for the catching Pokémon problem you're having Sanne. What I usually do when I come across a Pokémon I want to catch is immediately throw an Ultra Ball at it. Usually I get it first try, but I keep throwing Ultra Balls until I get it. XD (Or whatever ball would fit the current situation. i.e. Dusk Ball in a cave, etc.)

As for where I am in Pokémon Moon, I finished all the trials and am now training a team for the Elite Four. It's going to be a bit grindy, but I have the strategy guide that I'm going to go back and get all the things that I missed while playing without it. :P

I got a whole bunch of Quickballs with my preorder which have been useful to do just that, but they don't work all the time. <.< I do try. Putting all my money into Pokeballs just to get around a feature is still annoying though. I wouldn't have such an issue with it if it only happened occasionally (like the hordes in XY/ORAS, they existed but you only ran into them once in a while or when you used specific items) and not in almost every single battle. It's a bit much for me! They balanced out a lot of things nicely but I think went a bit overboard with "FRIENDS HELP EACH OTHER" thing. <.<

I finished my 3rd island and am now in Aether Paradise, I'm excited to get to the Elite 4 too!! Good luck! :D

Yaaaaay someone revived this thread!

I'm having a lot of fun in the Sun right now. I managed to get a Litten in wonder trade, and traded it for a Rowlet. The Rowlet was a female so then I bred it and traded for a Popplio!

Now I have an Incineroar, Decidueye and a Primarina in my team!
Litten turned out to be my starter though. I love my timid Incineroar a lot.

So right now my team is;

Incineroar
Primarina
Decidueye
Lycanrock
Alolan Raichu
Snorlax/Haunter/Sylveon

Though I kinda wanna make a new team with just Pokemon I've caught, and without the other two starters. If I do, it might be;

Incineroar
Lycanrock
Ribombee/Stoutland
Alolan Ninetails
Salazzle
Mudsdale

I managed to catch a Shiny Salandit too! Took me two hours to find using the SOS Method though. But, it's not female, so I can't get my ever wanted Shiny Salazzle. I'm gonna go on the hunt later to find another though! (Hopefully female!)

I also wanna try and catch a Shiny Orcorio, Lillipup and Gastly. Those are my most wanted shinies in the game. Oh, and Cutiefly. So pretty and pink!

I really hope they keep the Pokemon Summons in the next games. It is so, SO much easier not having to worry about having HM Slaves in my team. Now I can have the perfect team all throughout!

OH! Before I forget, if anyone wants any Sun exclusive mons OR if they want me to breed them a Popplio, Litten or Rowlet, PM me! I got breeding pairs and a Ditto so I can get almost any Pokemon I want!

Also, Quick Balls are basically Master Balls in my eyes. I've only failed to catch 1 Pokemon with them.
Highly recommend them for filling up your Pokedex!
Sanne Moderator

Copper_Dragon wrote:
I'm enjoying the game! Hilariously enough the only disappointment has been a lack of clothing in shops. Unlike XY, the shops don't seem to cycle their wares daily?

Yeah! Though I think the overall selection is nicer. XY had 'sets' that were designed to match, and mixing was difficult because it ended up looking weird to me most of the time. I don't have this issue in SuMo, I can match almost anything together and look awesome. :D
Sanne Moderator

@TiniestCentaur: DANG!! That is super lucky, I've only gotten crappy starter wild Pokemon in my WTs. XD Ribombee and Cutiefly are the only Pokemon that really made me squeal out loud so far. I caught both but don't think I'll end up using them in my team. I'll just make islands for them in Pelago. ;)

Also concur on the summons. I think I would be the most disappointed in that if they decided to revert it. They kept adding more and more HMs but when you have 4 move slot limits it just doesn't stay fun anymore trying to make it all work and have an effective team. :/ This was long overdue.
Tar

( Psst, sleeping and paralyzed Pokemon can't call for help! I concur on the quick balls, but false swipe and status conditions have helped me more. )

I'm also preparing to breed for people, so let me know if anyone needs anything from Moon or otherwise - dex only, though. I don't have the patience for seeking specific stats and abilities, hunting these guys down and catching them is enough for me!

I've only just reached the third island, but as far as less common Pokemon go to breed, I've got a Bagon, Alomomola, Mareanie, Bonsly, Cyndaquil, Chikorita, and Venipede. I'm still trying to catch Feebas, sob.

I started with litten and love the heel tiger - aside from her (can make you kittens without a ditto), have also caught a shiny spearow so I'm actually raising a fearow right now alongside Alolan grimer, Alolan raichu, oranguru (so delighted over this pokemon, huge favorite right now - totally why I got Moon instead of Sun) and just swapped out slowpoke for the wimpod I snuck up on. I'm been doing a whole lot of switching back and forth this generation...
I am currently wrapping up some post game stuff (in Pokemon Moon).

My current team is:

Decidueye
Magnezone
Salazzle
Feraligatr
Absol
Espeon

This is just the team I have with me. It's not my best, but my Decidueye can handle most things without trouble.

I'm currently trying to complete the Pokedex! Luckily, I have a roommate with Sun, so I can trade version exclusives with him. I've finished the Melemele dex, but it's been slow going, due to work.
I don't know which pokemon to choose in the game,there's Litten,Rowlet,Popplio,aka the blue squish.
I love the atmosphere of the game~ It makes me remember our family vacations in Egypt and Turkey, the hotels too, and then the trips to Lapland~ Can't wait to be able to visit the second mountain

I play a male character, because I just... I jus felt more towards that one. But I don't like how females stll, again, have like 5 dozen more options in customizing than males do :C It's sad.... Just give them both long and short hair! And ALL the clothes. Oh well, at least there is some variety on the hair, but I'd like some of those fancy and expensive clothes from X and Y, I loved those

Hau is another thing. Pffffffffff, I don't like him xD He's so childish and naive. Yeah, he's a kid and all, and I won't take it away from him, just that I'm not a fan
Also, that part when they call you 11 years old and you can't say 'No' or 'Actually...' that's kinda annoying but bleh, I'll live with a lie

Personally I'm at a point where I just cleared the..... 5th trial I think? Well, I'm somewhere there, can't tell more to risk spoilling

Team:

Primarina - Magnus
Lycanroc - Ivan
Lurantis - Silas
Salazle - Salsa
Mudsdale - Chamomille
Passimian - Annie

Boxed ones that I used at some point:

Persian - Prima (she soloed the 2nd trial)
Trumbeak - Toscana
Sylveon - Kesha (very short lived, but a random encounter female Eevee, had to catch it)
Rattata - Carl

I do quite like these games~ I own Sun and I'm just lolling all around. Though I'm just glaring at certain people and teams of the game with the [ (x) Doubt ] button next to my head
+ Ilima and Gladion are mine. Dang do I love them

At the moment I'm just really torn between shiny hunting and actually continuing the game.

I don't know how all these other people find the time and quickness to do both at once. ;n; I really want my Shiny Lillipup
Sanne Moderator

I came across an image album on Imgur about SuMo and this one stood out to me:

6U5NOSW.jpg

I legit do NOT understand why the devs didn't think to animate the player character's face to respond instead of always having the same static expression. :(
Asroc

Sanne wrote:
I came across an image album on Imgur about SuMo and this one stood out to me:

6U5NOSW.jpg

I legit do NOT understand why the devs didn't think to animate the player character's face to respond instead of always having the same static expression. :(

The player character knows all. Sees all. Sees into the endless void.

I always thought it was kind of funny.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Pokemon Sun/Moon?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus