Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Roleplaying Flaws

Yrsa Winterwind (played anonymously)

I tend to be a little cliche' as well.

I will say that participating with people here where half the story is written by others has been a great help to my writing. Its helping me to more..."agile" with my thought processes.
<.< I may have a bad habit of introducing quite a bit of certain things that may or may not make the roleplay drag out a lot longer than needed or speed it up to the point that no amount of heavy exposition can save it. >.>

That, and I end up either getting rather obsessed with the roleplay to the point it becomes all I can think of OR, I drop it like I would a stinky fish. I also am horrible at writing starting sentences. I also majorly suck at writing 'good' characters. I always have to throw in a dark twist in the middle of things. D:
KansasVenomoth Topic Starter

SINDragon wrote:
<.< I may have a bad habit of introducing quite a bit of certain things that may or may not make the roleplay drag out a lot longer than needed or speed it up to the point that no amount of heavy exposition can save it. >.>

That, and I end up either getting rather obsessed with the roleplay to the point it becomes all I can think of OR, I drop it like I would a stinky fish. I also am horrible at writing starting sentences. I also majorly suck at writing 'good' characters. I always have to throw in a dark twist in the middle of things. D:

This one hits me right on the nail.
Eh, I'm just a terrible role-player lol
rat

Der_Anna wrote:
FreeJayFly wrote:
Oh *God...

I play inherently good characters. Like... playing a villain is almost lost on me. I can play pretty mean characters that can and will be violent toward those that are antagonistic, but overall, a lot of the characters I play are just... always leaning toward good, or the neutral grounds of things.

Right there is one of my flaws. That i, correcting lower case j's, g's, c's, etc... People, for whatever reason, find it to be very annoying.

i have to say that in this case it's understandable people may be annoyed by your habit, because you're picking at someone's post without any real need, and it can feel dismissive of the message they're trying to convey. for RP i'll use capital letters but for conversational purposes such as forum posts i trust most people don't mind the informality, and i'd be a bit uncomfortable if someone decided to polish up my words. just trying to provide some perspective here!
Hmm, I just thought of something else. I don't like writing romance because it doesn't interest me as a genre, which offputs a lot of potential roleplaying partners...so I consider it an intrinsic flaw of mine.
Yersinia wrote:
Hmm, I just thought of something else. I don't like writing romance because it doesn't interest me as a genre, which offputs a lot of potential roleplaying partners...so I consider it an intrinsic flaw of mine.

I think that's another flaw of mine... Or at least kinda similar to it. Like, I can write romance just fine, and I'd love to RP that with someone one day.

However, half if not most of my muses are choosy things that need restrictions on romance to be at their best. Two don't want romance at all, a few have rules that range from kinda okay to uber strict, and almost half of them are in polyamorous relationships. If it's not the open poly bit that scares them off, it's the rules that are in place.

But if I toss the rules, say everyone's single and play as others "want" me to, it doesn't feel right to play them since I've tossed half their lore out the window, and I end up having no inspiration to keep writing at all. (That and it feels like I've lowered my standards just to get some RP in, and that's not fair to me.)
Pomkeki wrote:
- I love OOC.
I used to roleplay in a place that had a very active OOC chat attached to the IC chat. Ever since then I find it very hard to roleplay in dead silence - I like to chat between posts, especially when roleplaying in groups. When I wasn't in the mood to roleplay I'd stay in OOC and watch IC so I can keep up with what's going on in the RP while I socialize. I only consider this a flaw because it's incredibly hard for me to find people who are equally social during RP... I can't help but feel lonely or like my partners dislike me when there isn't any OOC.

- I try to avoid combat.
And not for the reasons you probably expect. I love combat, I love writing it, I love giving my characters unique and complex fighting styles, and I spend an enormous amount of time figuring out my characters skills and weaknesses in the realm of combat... But I hate senseless or unnecessary conflict. I'm a hardcore pacifist in the real world, so sometimes it's hard for me to fight when I'm thinking "why can't we just talk about this?" and it's proven to be a weakness of mine whenever I play in a high crime setting or when I play as a villain.

- I'm a pervert.
I thoroughly enjoy stupid ecchi anime humor and crap like that, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority and nobody else cares for that stuff in roleplay. Oh well. I'll just sit in my corner of shame and pretend that I'm not a complete weirdo.

- I have a weakness for a certain archetype.
My characters vary quite a bit in personality and all of that, but... I have absolutely no self control around a particular archetype. Regardless of who I'm playing, I'm drawn to them. I want to tease them and hug them and make them feel all kinds of flustered!

-Checks herself on all of these and cries for eternity-

But hey kids! You know what's worse than being a pervert? BEING A SHY ONE

I like romance and yes, more often than not i associate smut to my romance. But it doesn't matter because I'm too much of a goddamn chicken to tell my parters when i want to ship something ;;;;. Im used to let the other person to take the first step, mostly out of fear of rejection. There are times that it isn't like that: I have no problems to ask a person im confident with about romance, hell, I've even replied a few romance search threads around this site! But sometimes I'll throw hints the other person won't catch, or I'll suddenly shy up when writting a reply on a romance plot because i REALLY dont want to screw it up. This problem isnt as bad as it was when i first started to RP, but it can still get pretty annoying sometimes ;A;

Asides that, I'm very insecure overall about my replies. Even when people tell me that they're ok, I always feel it's just flattery or trying to be nice. Same thing goes for my characters; even when I've certainly improved over the years, there are a LOT of times that I see someone else's character's description (Or simply just the drawing) and just feel like mine is not enough. Like "Why yours is a beautiful unicorn and mine looks like a donkey with a toilet paper cone glued on it's head ;;;;". I know it's stupid to be that insecure, and even more, lately i've feel more confident about myself, because I'm rpying with the people i've always felt are the pros and ahhhh <3. But I guess it's just like shyness; it sticks to you.

Last but not least, there is the problem that I believe is my biggest one and the one that causes me the most problems; I'm AWFULL at organizing myself. I am a bad person organizing my own time per se, but with RPs, i think it just worsens. I get hooked up with a lot of ideas and end up biting far more than I can hold; more than once I've had to drop RPs because i couldn't just keep up with them all, and apologize repeatedly over taking too long to reply ;;_;;. It's really something I should work seriously on improving, because it perjudices me and the person who's rpying with me and has to wait forever due my terrible time management habits ;A;
KansasVenomoth Topic Starter

CoronelCoscacho wrote:
Pomkeki wrote:
- I love OOC.
I used to roleplay in a place that had a very active OOC chat attached to the IC chat. Ever since then I find it very hard to roleplay in dead silence - I like to chat between posts, especially when roleplaying in groups. When I wasn't in the mood to roleplay I'd stay in OOC and watch IC so I can keep up with what's going on in the RP while I socialize. I only consider this a flaw because it's incredibly hard for me to find people who are equally social during RP... I can't help but feel lonely or like my partners dislike me when there isn't any OOC.

- I try to avoid combat.
And not for the reasons you probably expect. I love combat, I love writing it, I love giving my characters unique and complex fighting styles, and I spend an enormous amount of time figuring out my characters skills and weaknesses in the realm of combat... But I hate senseless or unnecessary conflict. I'm a hardcore pacifist in the real world, so sometimes it's hard for me to fight when I'm thinking "why can't we just talk about this?" and it's proven to be a weakness of mine whenever I play in a high crime setting or when I play as a villain.

- I'm a pervert.
I thoroughly enjoy stupid ecchi anime humor and crap like that, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority and nobody else cares for that stuff in roleplay. Oh well. I'll just sit in my corner of shame and pretend that I'm not a complete weirdo.

- I have a weakness for a certain archetype.
My characters vary quite a bit in personality and all of that, but... I have absolutely no self control around a particular archetype. Regardless of who I'm playing, I'm drawn to them. I want to tease them and hug them and make them feel all kinds of flustered!

-Checks herself on all of these and cries for eternity-

But hey kids! You know what's worse than being a pervert? BEING A SHY ONE

I like romance and yes, more often than not i associate smut to my romance. But it doesn't matter because I'm too much of a goddamn chicken to tell my parters when i want to ship something ;;;;. Im used to let the other person to take the first step, mostly out of fear of rejection. There are times that it isn't like that: I have no problems to ask a person im confident with about romance, hell, I've even replied a few romance search threads around this site! But sometimes I'll throw hints the other person won't catch, or I'll suddenly shy up when writting a reply on a romance plot because i REALLY dont want to screw it up. This problem isnt as bad as it was when i first started to RP, but it can still get pretty annoying sometimes ;A;

Asides that, I'm very insecure overall about my replies. Even when people tell me that they're ok, I always feel it's just flattery or trying to be nice. Same thing goes for my characters; even when I've certainly improved over the years, there are a LOT of times that I see someone else's character's description (Or simply just the drawing) and just feel like mine is not enough. Like "Why yours is a beautiful unicorn and mine looks like a donkey with a toilet paper cone glued on it's head ;;;;". I know it's stupid to be that insecure, and even more, lately i've feel more confident about myself, because I'm rpying with the people i've always felt are the pros and ahhhh <3. But I guess it's just like shyness; it sticks to you.

Last but not least, there is the problem that I believe is my biggest one and the one that causes me the most problems; I'm AWFULL at organizing myself. I am a bad person organizing my own time per se, but with RPs, i think it just worsens. I get hooked up with a lot of ideas and end up biting far more than I can hold; more than once I've had to drop RPs because i couldn't just keep up with them all, and apologize repeatedly over taking too long to reply ;;_;;. It's really something I should work seriously on improving, because it perjudices me and the person who's rpying with me and has to wait forever due my terrible time management habits ;A;

This one speaks to me on a personal level. I absolute love romance, and 99% of the time I include romance... And then my responses, whenever I send them, I always find myself thinking Is it long enough? How many times did I repeat the same damn thing? That right there made absolutely no sense. Venomoth, you goddamn idiot that looks totally stupid. You used the same adjective like 5 times in the past three sentences. When I see a good response, I tend to get a bit afraid to reply myself. That looks really good, but my stuff is generally repeating the same thing, just changing up the words slightly. While my partner could give you twelve paragraphs describing the taste of a cheeseburger, I'll give you something like this "This cheeseburger is good." And then go on to repeat that five or six times and simply change up the words.
I think my biggest problem is that I tend to Polarize about anything I've seen/read.
beyond that (unfortunately rather abstract and hard to explain) bit, I've also lost a bit of my nack for retaining perfectly individual 'Hearts' for my characters. While a character's personality is CRITICAL, I've leaned more to the side of 'Mind'. I keep track of what a character 'should' know & has experienced, & base responses off of that.

I feel like this has lead to a number of my characters all feeling 'samey' in casual conversation. 3|

it's a hard problem to fix, especially when coupled with needing to come up with small crowds of 'NPCs' every so often...
Ooh, i have SO many crappy RP quirks and rampant lazyisms, but here are a few.

. Trying so hard to make a character "realistic" that they end up with 150 fatal flaws and become a useless Damsel in Distress (I'm getting better about this one)

. Skimming posts i gind boring and ending up missing vital plot details

. Not being able to think up a consistent and interesting backstory.

. Using anime faceclaims (I know it looks weebish, but I can't draw and I just feel bad using a real person's face)

. Playing characters under 15 or over 40 (people tend to hate RPing with characters who aren't in their prime, but I think they can be more fun than young adults at times.)
Corin wrote:

. Playing characters under 15 or over 40 (people tend to hate RPing with characters who aren't in their prime, but I think they can be more fun than young adults at times.)

there's no problem with a character being 'young' or 'old'. :3

young can be interesting through a lack of practical experience, (like overestimating what they can do by a large margin) & Old can be interesting through an abundance of experience that may have once been practical.

If you can manage to RP old & young characters, that's more to you! a bonus; not a flaw.
dave_pod wrote:
Corin wrote:

there's no problem with a character being 'young' or 'old'. :3

young can be interesting through a lack of practical experience, (like overestimating what they can do by a large margin) & Old can be interesting through an abundance of experience that may have once been practical.

If you can manage to RP old & young characters, that's more to you! a bonus; not a flaw.
Thanks! 😁
Those are my thoughts too, at least.
But on other websites in the past I've been ignored or even berated for playing characters who weren't conventionally attractive young adults. Especially on sites that allow mature content, all too often it is expected that all characters be "available" sexually. A character who is too young, too old, disabled, or not physically attractive often ends up being left behind in the game and ignored by other characters. The is often the case even if the game doesn't allow sex, which just makes me angry.

Also, some people automatically cast off young (under 15) characters as being "annoying" or "incompetent", no matter what they're actually like in the game. I mean, yeah. Some people really have no idea how to portray a child character, and that can be irritating at best and downright disturbing at worst. But like any type of character, i think that it can be done tastefully, and I certainly try to. 😁

I guess the fact that I often (though not always) choose to play characters outside of the standard age group is only a flaw in that it sometimes irritates other players and results in me getting less invites to games, and in the games i create being less popular.

But then again, I'm new to RPR. Maybe things are different here 😊
KansasVenomoth wrote:
This one speaks to me on a personal level. I absolute love romance, and 99% of the time I include romance... And then my responses, whenever I send them, I always find myself thinking Is it long enough? How many times did I repeat the same damn thing? That right there made absolutely no sense. Venomoth, you goddamn idiot that looks totally stupid. You used the same adjective like 5 times in the past three sentences. When I see a good response, I tend to get a bit afraid to reply myself. That looks really good, but my stuff is generally repeating the same thing, just changing up the words slightly. While my partner could give you twelve paragraphs describing the taste of a cheeseburger, I'll give you something like this "This cheeseburger is good." And then go on to repeat that five or six times and simply change up the words.

Come at me, pal ;_;

I get the same feeling with sinonyms. I have a hae for using the same word twice in two consecutive sentences, sometimes using it twice on the same paragraph, depending the word. Most times i end up getting myself stuck because i doublecheck a pharagrap and have to rearrange all the synoyims twice, or just can't find the adecuate one ;<;

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Roleplaying Flaws

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus