Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Recipe thread

Sanne Moderator

Because I love to cook! I'm engaged to a chef so I can get tasty foods all year 'round, but I love cooking my own foods too. :P I'm a very selfish cook however; I cook to my own taste and don't care if others like it too. (Scenario: "Honey, taste this and let me know if we're ordering pizza tonight.")

Still, I love looking up recipes and trying out new things. I don't cook fancy things, I try to make boring foods more lively, hehe.

Got anything good to share? PLEASE POST! Let's make this a nummy, healthy thread!!

Mommy's pancakes

I love making these pancakes, they usually resemble waffles in flavor but have a pancake consistency. :)

Ingredients:
500 grams self raising flour
6 (L) eggs
100 to 200 grams of sugar (the more sugar, the more they taste like waffles. Due to my health I try to use as little sugar as possible though)
milk

Good for about 12-15 pancakes. With 125 grams of flour I usually make a minimum of 3 pancakes, up to 5 if I add more milk.

Preparation:
Mix the flour and sugar thoroughly, then add the eggs and milk. Add the milk until it has the consistency of yogurt if you want thick pancakes, make it nice and runny for thin ones. Keep mixing until there are no chunks left in the batter.

Cooking:
Heat the frying pan on medium without oil in it until it's hot, then pour either sunflower oil or olive oil into the frying pan (this is better for the pan and will make the oil better to fry in). Sunflower oil is preferred since it makes them taste better, but olive oil works too.

Use either a ladle or pour directly from the bowl until the pancake batter fills about 2/3 of the pan. It usually runs out a little, so it's important to leave some room or else you get really thick pancakes. I prefer mine thinner, but if you want them thick... well, go for it!

Let the pancake fry until the batter on the top is solid and no longer runny. Check to see if it's nice and golden brown on the bottom, then flip over.

When it's done you have a nice and tasty yummy pancakes! Yummy yummy homemade ones. :D

Sweet-spicy chicken and rice

One of my favorite dishes, healthy, easy and usually done in about 15 minutes!

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts
2 small onions / 1 large onion
Ketjap Manis (sweet soy sauce, Indonesian)
Chicken seasoning (either homemade with sage, thyme, marjoram, rosemary, nutmeg or storebought)
Black pepper (even if the seasoning already has pepper in it)
Garlic powder/ground garlic/fresh garlic
Rice (I prefer Basmati rice)
Beef broth (the small square dry blocks that you can make your own soup with)
Olive oil

(Sorry if some of this seems obscure, I'm not sure what to call some things in English. XD)

Preperation:
Boil enough water for the rice, then add the beef broth into the water followed by the rice. Most rice needs to boil for about 15 minutes, so we can cook the chicken in the meantime.

Slice and dice the chicken breasts into about 1 inch pieces, removing any bad bits and pieces of fat. Cover them with 1 and a 1/2 teaspoons of olive oil and season it plenty with the chicken seasoning, black pepper and garlic powder. Don't be afraid to make it spicy with the pepper, the ketjap will even out the flavor later on!

Let the chicken sit for about 5 minutes. Slice the onion(s) into rings or chop them smaller if you prefer them like that. Heat up the pan on medium and add two teaspoons of olive oil. Wait for the oil to be hot, then toss in the onions. Fry them for about a minute, then add the chicken into the pan.

Be very careful not to let the chicken turn too brown too fast! If you're afraid you'll burn it, add a little bit of water (be careful of the oil) in which the chicken can simmer/cook. Don't use too much water, just enough so that it won't burn. Most of the water will evaporate and cook your chicken thoroughly, after which you can let the chicken get nice and golden brown.

About 2 minutes before the chicken is fully done, take the Ketjap Manis/sweet soy sauce and add a dash of it onto the chicken. Let it fry a few more minutes, stir frequently so that the soy sauce won't burn.

Finish the rice and serve both on the same plate! The chicken will be spicy due tot he pepper, but the sweet flavor of the soy sauce will keep it from burning your mouth and give the chicken a unique after taste. You can combine this dish with most vegetables, or even cook vegetables with the chicken and onions if you like. The rice will have a very rich flavor because it was cooked in beef broth, which oddly enough compliments the chicken very well. If you find this is blasphemy, you can use chicken broth or even vegetable broth if you prefer. I just like the beef broth most. :P
Kim Site Admin

I love this idea. If I weren't allergic to everything, I would have to make these recipes. XD
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Those recipe's are making me hungry and it's not even 3pm yet! :(

Cooking is not really my specialty but there is something I do well. I don't remember the exact amounts but I'll describe the process as best I can.

You take some cooking chocolate, probably about a third of a bar, heat it in a bowl so it's all gooey. You then take some diced ginger (you know, the cubes), cut them up into smaller pieces and use a cocktail stick to dip them into the melted chocolate, covering them completely. Place on a nearby tray covered with cooking paper. When you run out of chocolate/ginger/space on the tray, you're done. Put it in the fridge, wait for an hour and you have some tasty chocolates!

If you don't like ginger, you can probably replace it with other things but it's not something I've tried.
I don't have any recipes on hand but a friend of mine showed this to me last night: http://www.myfridgefood.com/

Essentially, it suggest recipes for what you have on hand. You might have food in the fridge and pantry, maybe not a lot, but have no idea what to cook. You make a few selections (though it's a bit limited) and it gives you ideas of what you can make with what you have on hand or what you may need.
Well, I don't know how healthy it is, but I have an amazingly simple dipping sauce I sort of whipped up on a whim for some Gorton's fish fillets (we didn't have tartar sauce). It's a lil' tangy, so if you like that sort of thing, go for it.

Quick & Tangy Dipping Sauce
Serves 1 person, roughly two to three 6"-7" fish fillets

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon of Miracle Whip (you could use plain ol' mayonaise, but I love me some MW)
2 teaspoons of mustard (I used honey mustard in my first batch, but dijon might work too if you want a spicy kick instead of something semi-sweet)
1/2 teaspoon of white wine vinegar

*Optional Ingredients-
Crushed red pepper flakes (in case you want that spicy kick w/o dijon or want a greater one with it)
Basil (I use this more for making the dip look pretty~ than for taste)

Preperation:
Scoop mayonaise and mustard into a small dipping bowl and stir with a spoon until well mixed. Add white wine vinegar and whip in carefully to avoid spillage. Add optional basil and/or red pepper flakes according your taste preferences and mix in thoroughly. Dip into or pour onto fish and enjoy!

This also works surpsingly well with chicken and could, if I can figure out how to water it down a little more, make a nice dressing for a salad (add olive oil?). Prior to typing this up, I didn't even use exact measurements-- I just winged it until I had roughly the same dip each time.
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

This is what my delicious chicken and rice creation looks like (variation green beans!).

Note that these are FRESH green beans, none of the canned stuff. I cooked them in salted water for 10 minutes, then tossed them in with the chicken when I fried it. It really makes a huge difference.

2wmpanc.jpg

Gosh, this topic is oooooold. BUT. I made a delicious Dutch, super simple cake today and I'd like to share the recipe with you all!

Dutch Buttercake

smWVb.jpg

6kKTQ.jpg

It's a delicious, albeit not so great for a diet cake. It's sort of like the lovechild between a pound cake and a cookie. It's soft, buttery, firm enough to be considered some kind of cookie but soft enough to remind you of a pound cake. It's sweet and rich, so small servings satiate easily.

Ingredients:

http://allrecipes.com/howto/cup-to-gram-conversions/
If you don't use grams, this site should come in handy!
Steps:

1. Preheat oven to 180C/356F

2. Grease the cake pan with some butter

3. Beat the egg until the eggwhite and yolk are fully mixed

4. Make sure the butter is soft (microwave for 20 seconds if it's cold from the fridge) and mix it with the sugar, salt if your butter is unsalted and 2/3rds of the egg. (Use a spoon to scoop up the egg and avoid all of the egg going in at once). Mix it with a fork until it's an easily kneadable mass.

5. You can sift the flour, but it's not necessary. Put the butter mix into the flour. You can use your hands to mix it, use a mixer with dough-hooks or use a fork to do it. It will be very sticky, but I like mixing it by hand myself.

6. When it's all thoroughly mixed, scoop up the dough and put it in the cake pan. Use a fork to spread it out, making sure the cake is equally thick everywhere. When it's evenly spread out, use the round side of a cold, wet spoon to smoothen the top. Don't rub, just gently pat it down. Rubbing will make the dough stick, while patting prevents it. Wet the spoon again if the dough starts to stick.

7. Brush the remaining beaten egg on top of the cake.

8. Use a fork to draw the diamond or square patterns into the cake.

9. Put the cake pan on a grate in the middle of the oven and bake for approximately 20-25 minutes. Make sure to check at 20 minutes, the cake should be tan but not dark brown.

10. When done, put the cake pan on a grate or something similar and cover the top with a kitchen towel. Let it cool for about 40-60 minutes before removing it from the cake pan.
*rubs hands together* I will apply my cooking skills to this after my meeting today. :) Cooking is this cube's FAVORITE thing. :D

Rubix wrote:
*rubs hands together* I will apply my cooking skills to this after my meeting today. :) Cooking is this cube's FAVORITE thing. :D

Yay!! Cooking is FUN.

As an FYI, I also realized that my style of pancakes is very different from the regular American pancakes. (I didn't know they were so different until someone pointed it out to me.) So if you want to try European style pancakes, my recipe brings CULTURE into your life! XD
I will scour my recipie books for some good stuff. I dunno if I have any strictly healthy stuff but it's all yummy. Lmao.
Some of my favorites!!!!

Oreo Truffles

Ingredients

1 lb Oreo cookies (3 sleeves)
8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (using different extracts allows for subtle flavour changes...I've used mint extract, upped to 1 tsp) (optional)
1 lb milk chocolate
1/2 lb white chocolate

Directions:

1 - Using a food processor, grind cookies to a fine powder. With a mixer, blend cookie powder, cream cheese and vanilla extract until thoroughly mixed (there should be no white traces of cream cheese).

2 - Roll into small balls and place on wax-lined cookie sheet. Refrigerate for 45 minutes.

3 - Line two cookie sheets with wax paper. In double-boiler, melt milk chocolate. Dip balls and coat thoroughly. With slotted spoon, lift balls out of chocolate and let excess chocolate drip off. Place on wax-paper-lined cookie sheet.

4 - In separate double boiler, melt white chocolate. Using a fork, drizzle white chocolate over balls. Let cool.

5 - Store in airtight container, in refrigerator.

6 - Note: When I am exceedingly lazy (most often the case these days), I forego the chocolate 'dip' and merely roll my truffles into various mixtures - chopped nuts, chocolate sprinkles, vari-coloured candy sprinkles, cocoa powder, chocolate shavings, coloured sugars -- still pretty -- less work.

Ooey Gooey Chicken

Ingredients:

6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
3/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup salsa (your choice hot or mild)
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin (optional)
1 tablespoon cornstarch

Directions:

1 - Put the breasts in a 9x13-inch baking dish.

2 - Whisk remaining ingredients (except cornstarch) together until they are well blended.

3 - Pour over the breasts.

4 - Coat both sides of the breasts with the sauce.

5 - Bake in 400°F oven for approx 30 minutes or until the chicken is done.

6 - Remove breasts, keep warm pour the sauce into a sauce pan stir in the cornstarch that has been mixed with a tbsp of water, bring to a boil and allow to thicken whisk constantly.

7 - Pour over the chicken & serve.

MY FAVORITE

Strawberry Ice Box Cake

40832_425973102620_4766180_n.jpg

Ingredients:

3 lbs. fresh strawberries, sliced
2 (8 oz.) tubs fat-free whipped topping (or use regular or light)
1 (14.4 oz.) box graham crackers
1/4 cup milk chocolate chip morsels

Directions:

1 - Spread a small amount of whipped topping on the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan. Place 5 graham cracker sheets down the middle and break 2 more sheets into crackers to fit down the sides. Lightly cover the top of the graham crackers with more whipped topping and then a layer of sliced strawberries. Repeat three times, until you have four layers of graham crackers (you may be a few crackers short on the top layer, but that's ok). You'll end with a layer of strawberries on top.

2 - Place milk chocolate chip morsels in a plastic bag. Microwave in 10 second intervals until melted. Snip the end of the plastic bag and drizzle chocolate over top of cake.

3 - Refrigerate covered for at least four hours, or until the crackers have softened completely. Cake will last well for two days. It will still be good on the third day, but the strawberries will start to get juicy and leak into the whipped topping. It will still taste good, but it won't be as pretty.

I have some other secret recipes...but these are my personal favorites. :D
Apple Streusel Cheesecake Bars

For some reason, I can not stay away from Apples. I don’t know. Maybe it’s the way that summer and apples bring back so many childhood memories when my dad was alive, or something like that. I really like the idea of bringing cheesecake and apples together, as I have never even thought about it, lol.

ANYHOW- I thought I would share this yummy recipe with you guys. Hopefully, someone tries these and are like “These are amazing, MUST SHOW EVERYONE”. :D

Ingredients:

1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker oatmeal cookie mix
1/2 cup firm butter or margarine (I ended up using a little more because there was a lot of dry oatmeal left. Use at your own discretion.
2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 can (21 oz) apple pie filling
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
OPTIONAL- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts ( I didn’t add this.)

Directions:

Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom and sides of 11x9-inch pan with cooking spray. The recipe called for a 13x9 pan, but that was wayyy too big for the crumbs.
Place cookie mix in large bowl. With pastry blender or fork (or two knives, I have found helpful) , cut in butter until mixture is crumbly and coarse. Reserve 1 1/2 cups crumb mixture; press remaining crumbs in bottom of pan. Bake 10 minutes.
In another large bowl, beat together cream cheese, sugar, flour, vanilla and egg with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over baked crust.
In another bowl, mix together pie mix and cinnamon. Spoon this evenly over cream cheese. Sprinkle the remaining crumbs over top. OPTIONAL- Sprinkle walnuts as well.
Bake 35-40 minutes longer. Cool about 30 minutes and refrigerate to chill for about 2 hours. For bars, cut in rows of 5 by 4 rows. Store remaining bars in refrigerator covered.

It’s simple, easy and quick. It took about an hour at a whole. I hope you have fun!

2ele05l.jpg

Rubix wrote:

Just an interesting note of interest: cream cheese in the US is different from cream cheese in the Netherlands and Germany! In the Netherlands, cream cheese translates into "smeerkaas" - however, this is nothing like the cream cheese for this recipe. It actually tastes more like a cold, melted cheese that's still melted and spreadable. For any Dutchies, you'd need the "Philadelphia smeerkaas". In Germany, it's the same, except instead of Philadelphia cream cheese it's just called "Frischkäse'.

I figured I'd throw that in before anyone gets confused and makes something that's not as tasty as it should be. XD My fiance was very surprised when he found out the difference! (I think it would taste horrible with the wrong kind of cream cheese....)

Other than that... Rubix, Krissy. Oh my god this all sounds so damn delicious!! Thanks for sharing, I definitely have to try some of these!
Is a Cheesecake, so different from a Käsekuchen?
If you want that recipe, my mom makes the best :)

While doing a research for my RP-Char, I found a recipe (never tried) that sounds good: Quince Bread.
Sanne wrote:
Rubix wrote:

Just an interesting note of interest: cream cheese in the US is different from cream cheese in the Netherlands and Germany! In the Netherlands, cream cheese translates into "smeerkaas" - however, this is nothing like the cream cheese for this recipe. It actually tastes more like a cold, melted cheese that's still melted and spreadable. For any Dutchies, you'd need the "Philadelphia smeerkaas". In Germany, it's the same, except instead of Philadelphia cream cheese it's just called "Frischkäse'.

I figured I'd throw that in before anyone gets confused and makes something that's not as tasty as it should be. XD My fiance was very surprised when he found out the difference! (I think it would taste horrible with the wrong kind of cream cheese....)

Other than that... Rubix, Krissy. Oh my god this all sounds so damn delicious!! Thanks for sharing, I definitely have to try some of these!

Oh gosh I'm sure it would have been terrible with the wrong cream cheese! :) I used that idea and made bourbon balls as well. Turned out to be outstanding.
Rather than bog this thread down with my whole cookbook (lol), I will direct any interested parties to my recipe blog:
captaincassieeats.blogspot.com

Lots of yumminess there. :D
Rogue-Scribe

*Warning - necropost ahead*

Ah! Here is a general forum thread for Recipes! :)
I know of and am a member of The Recipe Guild and have quite enjoyed it, but the participation seems to be small, so I'm thinking of maybe throwing up a cooking/recipe post here in Smalltalk maybe every week or so. Of course if you are so inclined, please join the Recipe Guild and throw in! Also, the lovely unoffical RPR discord has a wonderful food feed (yuk yuk yuk)

I have heaps of recipes I've made over the years that turned out pretty good, so maybe will share one now and again, but one thing that canpossibly be agreed on is sometimes you have something at a restaurant or even a fast food chain and wonder if it can be duplicated at home. I'll resurrect this thread with a few recipes for some things I managed to duplicate fairly well.

Let's start with the crisp coating of Kentucky Fried Chicken. Don't know if this is the 'real' secret recipe of eleven herbs and spices, but it does make nice deep-fried chicken:
  • 2 cups white plain flour
  • ⅔ Tsp Salt
  • ½ TspDried Thyme
  • ½ Tsp Dried Basil
  • ⅓ Tsp Dried Oregano
  • 1Tsp Celery Salt
  • 1 Tsp Black Pepper
  • 1 Tsp Dried Mustard
  • 4 Tsp Smoked Paprika
  • 2 Tsp Garlic Salt
  • 1 Tsp Ground Ginger
  • 3 Tsp White Pepper

This may be closer to Heaven Sent Fried Chicken (The Original owner of Ezell's Fried Chicken Ezell Stephens runs the place) than KFC. Ezells has been a lovely chain in the Seattle area and it’s kind of sad the man with the name and the recipe lost out to others in court to those who still run the Ezell’s chain.

To do the whole deal, mix all the spices in a bowl, then beat an egg and mix it with buttermilk in another bowl. Then cut up a chicken into parts, dip it in the egg/buttermilk, then roll it in the spices and deep-fry. Be sure to let the fried chicken drain before serving so it is crispy and not soggy.

I'm going to try and locate my Ezell's recipe and compare it to this one.

So yeah, I'm hoping any of you will share youre culinary efforts here and in the Recipe Guild!
I love carbs and I make this all the time after the gym. It keeps really well for lunch / left overs and is one of the few things I will make a lot of to eat through the week:

Pasta Aglio e Olio

1/2 head of garlic, peeled and sliced thin (or crushed) (can use minced garlic as well)
1/2 cup rinsed, finely chopped fresh-cut parsley (about half a bundle)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp (or to flavor) red pepper flakes
1/2 lb (half box) linguine
1/2 lemon
salt and pepper (heavy grain salt is best for this)

1) Follow steps below while bringing heavily salted water to boil. Cook pasta until slightly underdone -- it should have a little bit of a 'snap' to it when you bite into it, but the outer layer should be soft and bendy.

2) Peel and slice garlic into thin slices and set aside. You can crush the garlic, or use minced garlic though if that's all you have.

3) Remove parsley sections from the main stem. Remove the leaves from larger branches and finely chop. (You can use a food processor but I just use a chef's knife; keep the tip on the cutting board and slice using the farthest part of the blade, you want to get it around a "confetti" size.)

4) Add all the olive oil to a deep saute pan, heat on medium heat until the oil has a shine to it

5) Add all of the garlic, stir constantly and cook until the garlic has turned gold around the edges

6) Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the red pepper flakes

7) Set aside around 1/4 cup of pasta water

8) Drain the linguine (don't rinse) and add to the pan with the oil and garlic mixture. Add the pasta water, parsley, lemon juice, and salt / pepper to taste and stir. If the sauce is a little watery, cook for another couple minutes until the pasta absorbs more liquid.

9) Serve

The garlic and red pepper flakes can make this kinda spicy, so be careful if you're sensitive to it. I usually start chopping the garlic first and then the parsley... I end up salting this a lot, but I don't use all that much pepper. If it's too spicy I'll add more lemon juice.

Cheers!
Rogue-Scribe

Pasta Aglio e Olio by Light
light wrote:
I love carbs and I make this all the time after the gym. It keeps really well for lunch / left overs and is one of the few things I will make a lot of to eat through the week:

Pasta Aglio e Olio

1/2 head of garlic, peeled and sliced thin (or crushed) (can use minced garlic as well)
1/2 cup rinsed, finely chopped fresh-cut parsley (about half a bundle)
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp (or to flavor) red pepper flakes
1/2 lb (half box) linguine
1/2 lemon
salt and pepper (heavy grain salt is best for this)

1) Follow steps below while bringing heavily salted water to boil. Cook pasta until slightly underdone -- it should have a little bit of a 'snap' to it when you bite into it, but the outer layer should be soft and bendy.

2) Peel and slice garlic into thin slices and set aside. You can crush the garlic, or use minced garlic though if that's all you have.

3) Remove parsley sections from the main stem. Remove the leaves from larger branches and finely chop. (You can use a food processor but I just use a chef's knife; keep the tip on the cutting board and slice using the farthest part of the blade, you want to get it around a "confetti" size.)

4) Add all the olive oil to a deep saute pan, heat on medium heat until the oil has a shine to it

5) Add all of the garlic, stir constantly and cook until the garlic has turned gold around the edges

6) Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the red pepper flakes

7) Set aside around 1/4 cup of pasta water

8) Drain the linguine (don't rinse) and add to the pan with the oil and garlic mixture. Add the pasta water, parsley, lemon juice, and salt / pepper to taste and stir. If the sauce is a little watery, cook for another couple minutes until the pasta absorbs more liquid.

9) Serve

The garlic and red pepper flakes can make this kinda spicy, so be careful if you're sensitive to it. I usually start chopping the garlic first and then the parsley... I end up salting this a lot, but I don't use all that much pepper. If it's too spicy I'll add more lemon juice.

Cheers!

Nice! Definitely going to put that in my 'Things to try' folder! I will go with fresh wherever possible.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'll go on with my 'copycat' series and present my 'Burger Sauce'. When you are about to BBQ some hamburgers and want a nice 'pickle' sauce to put on them, mix these ingredients up:

Burger Sauce
  • ½ Cup gourmet Mayonaise (Newman's Own or Roza's or some deli brand. It works with the Kraft/Best Foods/generic supermarket brands, just isn't as good)
  • 2Tbsp French Dressing
  • 4 Tsp Sweet Relish
  • 1 Tsp finely minced fresh White Onion
  • 1 Tsp White Vinegar
  • 1 Tsp White Sugar
  • ⅛ Tsp Salt

I've done variations of this by adding a teaspoon of Ketchup and/or HP Sauce.

This may be the 'secret sauce' that is used on Big Macs, or it may not...

Special Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 3 Tbsp sweet pickle relish
  • 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
  • 1 tsp white wine vinegar
  • 1 tsp onion powder
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp sweet paprika
Mix well.

Since we're on the sauce .... Tartare Sauce... do any of you have a favourite? I tend to go with recipes from a seafood place in Seattle named 'Salty's.

Salty’s Seafood Grills Tartar Sauce recipes

Sweet Pickle Tartar
  • 1-Cup Mayonnaise
  • ¼ Cup Sweet Pickles, Minced
  • ⅛ Cup Sweet Onion, Minced
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
  • 2 Dashes Tabasco
  • ½ Lemon, Juiced
  • 1 Tbsp Stone-Ground Mustard
  • ¼ teaspoon Mustard Powder
  • ⅛ teaspoon Celery Seed
  • 1 Tbsp Fresh Dill, Chopped
  • ½ Tbsp Fresh Thyme, Chopped
  • Dash White Pepper
  • Salt To Taste

1) Combine all ingredients and refrigerate for 1 hour so flavors combine well.

Chef’s Favorite Tartar Sauce
  • 1-Cup Mayonnaise
  • 2 Tbsp Dill Relish
  • 2 Tbsp Dill Cornichons, Chopped
  • 1 Tbsp Capers, Rinsed and Chopped
  • ½ teaspoon Onion Granules or Powder
  • ¼ teaspoon Garlic Granules or Powder
  • ½ Lemon, Juiced
  • 1 Tbsp Worcestershire
  • 2 Dashes Tabasco
  • 1 Tbsp Fresh Dill, Chopped
  • 1 Tbsp Fresh Italian Parsley, Chopped
  • Pinch White Pepper
  • Salt to taste

1) Combine all ingredients and refrigerate for 1 hour so flavors combine well.

Chef Jeremy’s Wicked Tartar
  • 1-Cup Chef’s Favorite Tartar Sauce
  • ½ TB Sambal Oelek Chili Paste (Find in Asian Isle at any Grocer)
  • ½ teaspoon Siracha Hot Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp Mustard Stone-ground

1) Place all ingredients in a bowl and blend with a hand blender.
I'm also a part of the Recipe Guild and noticed the inactivity, so I want to share a recipe or two myself. I love cooking, and savory low-carb recipes are a specialty of mine. In fact, I have a Cornish Game Hen recipe that I whipped up the other day; it's good if you're not a fan of roasting a whole chicken but still want roast chicken in a way.
Roasted Cornish Game Hens

1-2 Cornish game hens
About 2-3 tbsp. Butter
8-10 garlic cloves (4-5 for one bird)
6 leaves fresh basil (3 for one bird)
1 lemon, sliced in half lengthwise (or half a lemon for one bird)
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Paprika to taste

1) Preheat the oven to 450° F (232° C), and cover your roasting pan with foil; if you have a rack, place it on top of the foil afterwards. Dry the hens with paper towels so you get a crispier skin, then rub them down with the butter. If you can, run your index finger under the skin of the hen to loosen it and slide a few bits of butter underneath as well.

2) Stuff each cavity with 4-5 cloves of garlic, 3 leaves of fresh basil, and the half of a lemon, then season with salt, paprika, and pepper to your liking. (I also like to add a sprinkling of dried rosemary leaves on top, but that's totally optional.) At this point you can truss the hens with twine or place them on the rack and cross the legs together.

3) Roast in the oven for 25 minutes, then turn the heat down to 350° F (177° C) and continue roasting for 25-30 minutes or until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 170° F (77° C). Remove the lemon, basil, and cloves from the cavities before serving.

5) Serve as you like! (I served mine with buttered cauliflower rice, but choice of sides is up to you!)

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Recipe thread

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus