Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Detailed updates!

This would be wonderful! Like, say a character has added a new page or text to a page. With a "character updates" check box, people could see what changes were made to a character right away (This could include uploading new gallery images, too).
I mean, if someone were to add a huge chunk of text to a profile and were proud of the writing he/she had done, he/she wouldn't want it to go unnoticed.
Kim Site Admin

This is a neat idea but not a simple proposition.

When working on a page, most people tweak and twitch and experiment and end up updating a given widget 20 times in a row just to see how different things would work. The challenge then becomes, how big a change - with different rules for each and every widget type - should be regarded as worth reporting, and what was just a quick fix of a typo. And what of cases where someone starts out with a small portion of text, and over the course of 50 edits, all too small on their own to be reportable, ends up with a significantly different, much larger piece of text at the end of the hour? To even notice that it would require keeping records of every edit ever made and comparing current versions to multiple revisions. Programming something like this is no small task.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it's beyond the scope of what I can provide right now without significantly impacting my ability to continue developing other things.

In my experience, self-reporting, such as providing a check box that says "This is a minor edit" or something along those lines, is a flawed option, adding a step of complication and confusing things on one end and resulting in spam on the other end. I would much rather it be quietly handled behind the scenes where it is not as easily abused.
Sanne Moderator

I wouldn't be a fan of a feature like that even if it was easily done.

If my page needs a reminder of what I did, I can use the journal widget or use a plain text widget to write it myself. :)

Also, if you friend a character you can keep track of the imaged in the dashboard :)
I thought that would be an interesting idea, I'm always curious when my friends update their pages, so I end up repeatedly checking their pages... Kim has a good point, when does it become spam, how do you update the widget and all that other moonspeak I know nothing about.
That does sound like an interesting idea, but Kim and Sanne bring up some valid points. I am with Dylan on some of this programming, I'm a bit rusty and dusty with any form of script.
Sanne Moderator

Mayhaps it's something to keep in mind for the future. At this moment we have the alternative of manual updating/journal widgets that works out perfectly fine. If there is need for an automated system in the future, there's nothing stopping Kim from putting it on her to-do list at least. :)
Darth_Angelus Moderator

I have to agree with the comments that have already been made and I think I'd be far too conscious about making updates and spamming people with information about characters they have nothing to do with. I'm already cautious with the Captain's log of both my Star Trek characters.
Meedleboot Topic Starter

You know, I never thought about the spam thing. Which is kinda sad since I visit a site with detailed character updates, and I get like
Character A has be updated! Description (+1) ... 1 being the amount of characters added to the description rofl.
Character A has be updated! Description (+800)
Character A has be updated! Description (+50)

I guess I just don't pay it too much mind xD

@Kim: Well, it was just a suggestion. No worries if it won't happen ever or any time soon! I guess, since I'm not too programming savvy, I didn't realize how much code it would actually take.
@Sanne: You know, I never thought about using the journal. That's a pretty grand idea.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Detailed updates!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus