Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » profile analytics

I was wondering if we can have the option to privately see the analytics of our character's profiles,
with this, perhaps a x/100 goal for how many times the character got involved in RP for the forums.

I have a really competitive and goal orientated head-space, so little things like this help keep me focused!

could also include:
- creation date
- date last updated
- profile views
- profile clicks
^All of this please.
So long as it's an opt-in option, that could be nice.
Silas Topic Starter

dray wrote:
So long as it's an opt-in option, that could be nice.

100%!

on most, if not all, social media sites it's an opt in/ opt out function. as a template and profile boffin i'm fascinated with user journeys on my profiles -- did they leave because the profile was too bright? too dark? how long were they on there for? it helps me make more informed decisions when creating or updating my characters.
Fiebs wrote:
perhaps a x/100 goal for how many times the character got involved in RP for the forums.

Something like this would cast a negative light on some characters since I find that many people prefer PMs to group RPs. I find that 1x1s tend to have the strongest and easiest opportunity for character growth and development, and having to filter through PMs to see which ones are RPs just seems like a pain. Personally I'm not a part of a lot of Rp forums so I don't see how something like this would be useful to me.

Idk, just my opinion.
8KinTora wrote:
Fiebs wrote:
perhaps a x/100 goal for how many times the character got involved in RP for the forums.

Something like this would cast a negative light on some characters since I find that many people prefer PMs to group RPs. I find that 1x1s tend to have the strongest and easiest opportunity for character growth and development, and having to filter through PMs to see which ones are RPs just seems like a pain. Personally I'm not a part of a lot of Rp forums so I don't see how something like this would be useful to me.

Idk, just my opinion.

I write the same way as 8KinTora, 1x1's, but how about analytics for a writer's profile? Knowing how many profile views and from who might be a way to also find and connect with other writers, rather than simply searching the LFRP forums everyday or waiting for a reply to one. If anything, it'd would only highlight what RPR is doing right now; FOBETEO. OOC relationships and chit chat is just as good, and it would be nice to know whether anyone was lurking.

The opt-in opt-out also can lessen the feeling of a subject that was brought up with Kamizombie requesting a "Last Login Date" feature, where stalking was brought up. This way if you do have a concern about that, there's a history shown, because even if you opt-out, there might be a way that Kim and the mods can view that information anyhow, much like posts & threads being deleted. Although for me, I think the concern might be more so towards if you are a lurker, as I am, you might be branded as a 'stalker' because you keep going back to someone's profile but you don't have the guts to say 'hi' yet because of.. well, varying reasons.

I'm also concerned how much time and coding heavy this would be. Analytics for a whole site sounds mind-boggling to me, and a lot of space on the server. Perhaps make a Google Analytics account?

All in all, I think this is an interesting idea, I like it, but do the pros outweigh the cons so much so that it is worth all that dedication to implement it in the first place?
Hades_

Demi wrote:
Although for me, I think the concern might be more so towards if you are a lurker, as I am, you might be branded as a 'stalker' because you keep going back to someone's profile but you don't have the guts to say 'hi' yet because of.. well, varying reasons.

This is what I have my main concerns on for this option. I'm sure there's already a way for users to use google analytics to cover this already. However, what a lot of people don't realize is that Google Analytics and other analytic sites give you full access to other users IP addresses and what browser they're using. This could also be used for anyone to actually stalk other users as well as be extremely capable of branding anyone else as a stalker.

I'm really not for this option, as I had an issue with this in the past on Tumblr. There were so many innocent users who were just fans of the people they followed who found themselves completely branded as a stalker if they stepped forward saying they were the ones lurking another users profile too shy to say hello.

With how often I see users here concerned with "stalkers" as it is, I don't think this feature is one to go after.
Kim Site Admin

PrettySir wrote:
I'm sure there's already a way for users to use google analytics to cover this already. However, what a lot of people don't realize is that Google Analytics and other analytic sites give you full access to other users IP addresses and what browser they're using. This could also be used for anyone to actually stalk other users as well as be extremely capable of branding anyone else as a stalker.

Just to clarify, although I have access to Google Analytics for the RPR, I'm the only one who can see it. No one else can get into our Google Analytics, or install their own copy on the site.
Kim Site Admin

Fiebs wrote:
I was wondering if we can have the option to privately see the analytics of our character's profiles,
with this, perhaps a x/100 goal for how many times the character got involved in RP for the forums.

I have a really competitive and goal orientated head-space, so little things like this help keep me focused!

could also include:
- creation date
- date last updated
- profile views
- profile clicks

I have often toyed with ideas like this, both for characters and for groups. Not THAT long ago we exposed more user account data to the account owner, and people seem to be continually fascinated by their own basic stats.

For the other ideas in here and privacy concerns, it's very unlikely we'd start providing super specific analytics data about individual viewership habits.
Silas Topic Starter

Sorry I realise I'm resurrecting this -- I just wanted to explain that I meant this in a way that doesn't expose individual or specific data. Far less information than a web master, marketer or data analyst would have access to. It would be more like:
'This character has had # visits!'
'Your profile has been viewed # times!'
'Your profile is visited % more on mobile than desktop'

Facts like these are helpful for template creators and testing functions etc.
Kai

Surprise surprise, Fiebs always with the long-ago threads about things that occur to me late at night, such as wondering if there was an embedded player-side datapoint somewhere that tracked how long ago a profile was created.

Keeping an eye on this, and apologies for second necro.
Yuka

Fiebs wrote:
Sorry I realise I'm resurrecting this -- I just wanted to explain that I meant this in a way that doesn't expose individual or specific data. Far less information than a web master, marketer or data analyst would have access to. It would be more like:
'This character has had # visits!'
'Your profile has been viewed # times!'
'Your profile is visited % more on mobile than desktop'

Facts like these are helpful for template creators and testing functions etc.

I am interested in this. So +1.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » profile analytics

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus