Skip to main content

Forums » Forum Games » Dictionary Love πŸ’–

Tonight whilst reading, for some reason a moment in psych class hit me. It was the moment where the psych prof tested us, telling us what the illiteracy rate of our country was, then proceeded to ask us to raise our hands if we thought that illiteracy was an issue. He then proceeded to ask us "Okay, if 90% of you agree that it is indeed an issue, how many of you have done something to help fight this problem? Could be even reading to someone." Out of a class of 34, only 5 raised their hand, myself included.

Long story short, I have a love for language, English in particular, since it is the one I am most proficient at. So, after my spontaneous trip down memory lane I thought why not have a simple forum game on RPR sharing our love for words, which is something that we can easily help aid everyone in our pursuit of a mutually beloved hobby: roleplay.

The game will basically be picking out whatever English word tickles your fancy, giving the definition and writing it in a sentence, or a paragraph, (whichever you prefer), to help others understand and perhaps use it in the future in roleplay!

To start us off, I'll go with a word that was in my novel this evening:

Recidivist
noun
a convicted criminal who reoffends, especially repeatedly.

"The old man next door was the recipient of hushed vitriol in the community. You could tell just by looking at him that he was a recidivist, the proximity to the highschool was a fortuitous red flag."
Hades_

I love this!

My favourite word lately is Spelunking.
Noun
the exploration of caves, especially as a hobby.

The adventurer couldn't help herself from spelunking. The temptation of treasures and tales untold captivated her heart and deepest desires to discover.
I'm also in love with this thread. <3 I think I have a good one:

Prestidigitation
noun, formal
"magic tricks performed as entertainment."

As they auditioned for the roles of the magician duet, the actors' skills with prestidigitation left much to be desired in the eyes of the discerning director and his crew.
This is a very good thread.

Putrefaction
noun
The process of anaerobic decomposition that results in unpleasant odors.

"The mage's zombies reeked of putrefaction, and as a result he was the least-liked member of the party."
Rirra

Taction
touch; contact

Β¨The taction upon her shoulder, caused her to turn around.
Demilicious Topic Starter

Ah, fabulous! I'm so glad to see the love for this. πŸ’
I'll share a favourite of mine from highschool:

Indolent
adjective
Wanting to avoid activity or exertion; lazy.
2.MEDICINE
(of a disease condition) causing little or no pain.

Just after exams, I thought it would be the perfect time to finally wind down. Apparently not. He was too indolent to make love.
Leela

One of my favourite words because my old science teacher talked about it when I was young. He really made me feel normal in class.

Dogma
noun

a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.

The dogma in our government is strong, always trying to tell us what is true.

Credit to google for the definition.
Demilicious Topic Starter

Leela wrote:
One of my favourite words because my science teacher talked about it. He really made me feel normal in class.

Dogma
noun

a principle or set of principles laid down by an authority as incontrovertibly true.

Don't forget to use it in a sentence! <3
Hades_

VISCOUS
adjective

having a thick, sticky consistency between solid and liquid; having a high viscosity.

The lava was viscous when in its molten state.
Fin_Fin

I hope this is right! I really like the point of this thread.

Melancholic
1.) feeling or expressing pensive sadness.
2.)suffering from or denoting a severe form of depression.

This year would have marked their fifth anniversary, He remembered as he looked to the framed photo of a young woman. His melancholic filled heart ached at the memories they once shared with one another.
haunt

anathema
noun

1. something or someone that one loathes

2. a formal curse by a pope or a council of the Church, excommunicating a person or denouncing a doctrine.

The idea was anathema to him.
While this word is not exactly uncommon I realize not everyone knows the definition. Plus I like the word.

Platonic:

adjective

of, relating to, or having a close relationship in which there is no romance or sex

While everyone else believed there was something more to the relationship, to them it was completely platonic.
these are some of my favorite words

constellate v.
- gather into a group
"People in the chamber began to constellate into their own groups."

coagulate v.
- thicken up; happens w blood, where it turns from runny & liquidy to a slime-y texture
"Hurry up! I don't want this... goo... to coagulate."

egregious adj.
- bad. really bad. say it in like voldemort's voice and stretch the long 'e' sound and that's what it means lmao
"Her room was in an egregious state of uncleanliness."
Precocious

Growing or learning ahead of the curve. Developing at a younger than normal age.

The precocious child had completed the entire workbook on the second day of class.
Leela

Demilicious wrote:
Leela wrote:
One of my favourite words because my science teacher talked about it. He really made me feel normal in class.

Dogma
noun

Don't forget to use it in a sentence! <3

Oh sorry! I will fix that!
Fin_Fin

Timid
showing a lack of courage or confidence; easily frightened

The young boy recalled the pet hamster he had as a child; It was incredibly timid and tended to hide away in its plastic hut when he reached in to pet it.
Hades_

Myriad
literary
noun
1.a countless or extremely great number.

adjective
2.(chiefly in classical history) a unit of ten thousand.

"This community can come together and share a myriad of ideas to work together and develop great groups, friendships, stories, and great ideas to helps us all evolve as writers."
Quixotic
Adjective

Exceedingly idealistic; unrealistic and impractical.

Her plan to use the remains of the old ship as a shelter seemed quixotic when it was the very thick and invading vines that barely held it up in the first place.
Boisterous adj.

Over the top. Loud. Energetic.

The boisterous crowd nearly drowned out the band.
Fin_Fin

Haughty
arrogantly superior and disdainful

Being raised in royality turned the once sweet boys sweet personality haughty by the time he reached his teens; Feeling and presenting as if better than the rest.

You are on: Forums » Forum Games » Dictionary Love πŸ’–

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus