Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » RP Cliches/Pet Peeves/Experiences with said peeves

ThePsychicBruiser wrote:
Reima wrote:
But yes. People who want to be perfect and lose their nerves when they get the slightest critique directed at them... Yea... Not the most amazing thing in existence

I seen so many of these types of people. Assume they are perfect and claim to get A's, B's and claim that they published a book, yet when they get critique, they rage and go SSJ. That or they defend themselves as their characters.

That one has its sides though. Some people that are used to being praiced for, say, their school success, may not know how to take critique or react to it. They could have gone years and years without any critique directed to them at all. And when it finally happens, they don't know what to do. Some get confused, some don't know what to do and some just snap. Different types of people

I'm looking at this on a bit too 'gray scales' way ^^' I tend to do that.... There are a lot fo in betweens..... Darn all these mood shifts..
Asroc

Reima wrote:
ThePsychicBruiser wrote:
Reima wrote:
But yes. People who want to be perfect and lose their nerves when they get the slightest critique directed at them... Yea... Not the most amazing thing in existence

I seen so many of these types of people. Assume they are perfect and claim to get A's, B's and claim that they published a book, yet when they get critique, they rage and go SSJ. That or they defend themselves as their characters.

That one has its sides though. Some people that are used to being praiced for, say, their school success, may not know how to take critique or react to it. They could have gone years and years without any critique directed to them at all. And when it finally happens, they don't know what to do. Some get confused, some don't know what to do and some just snap. Different types of people

I'm looking at this on a bit too 'gray scales' way ^^' I tend to do that.... There are a lot fo in betweens..... Darn all these mood shifts..

Kind of how they may have earned a gold star in school for something they did, but when it is critiqued more, they get angry over it?
Sanne Moderator

ThePsychicBruiser wrote:
Reima wrote:
ThePsychicBruiser wrote:
Reima wrote:

Kind of how they may have earned a gold star in school for something they did, but when it is critiqued more, they get angry over it?

Being told you're not good at something you've been doing since you first learned the alphabet in first grade is never quite fun! I also hate getting critique, not because I can't take it, but because a majority of people don't know how to give it properly. It's not just saying "You didn't do this right, do it better next time", it's also encouraging improvement in a positive light, and offering useful information and resources to improve in specific areas. (This is a pretty good guide, it applies to both art and writing!)

English is my 4th and largely self-taught language, and I have a long history of people being real butts about my spelling and grammar in my early years. I just felt berated like a little stupid child when I got something wrong. I rarely got actual useful advice, most people just seemed intent on tipping over my chair and laughing when I fell and hit my head. Even if that's not how they intended it, it's how I perceived it. Looking back I'm sure there were plenty of people who genuinely wanted to help, but their good will got overshadowed by super poor execution.

If someone gets upset about critique, I think it's a good idea to step back and ask why. Was it proper critique, or could they have perceived it as an attack? Is there a way the critique can be phrased to remain honest, but be considered more helpful? People are still human beings with feelings that can get hurt. It's important to be careful about how you speak to them to communicate respect and helpfulness.

Also, just because someone has critique to offer, doesn't mean someone else is looking for it. Having unwanted critique shoved into my face makes me angry (I have enough other things to focus on and I'm really not interested in improving my English at this point, for example). That's why I prefer someone asks me "Would you care to hear constructive criticism from me?" so I can make that decision myself. It feels much more respectful to me.
Sanne Moderator

Reima wrote:
And then the pictures.... Please... I know not everyone is an artist but.... There is just something about, going to Google and grapping the prettiest most perfect picture of a big eyed red haired anime girl and saying that 'this is how they look'. It is in a way art theft and that is something I do not support.

This is also technically against the rules of the site! Considering a lot of artwork comes from unknown sources it's virtually impossible for many folks to get permission in the first place though. Lots of gray areas there. Kim doesn't remove any stolen artwork unless the artist gets in touch with her about it (there's just no way to verify without the artist, and many artists surprisingly don't even care). If I find someone using artwork that is clearly not theirs (and they admit it), and I can find the artist, I usually send the artist a message with the RPR admin email address explaining they can ask to have it taken down if they want to. A couple of people got asked to take stolen art down this way. :) So if you see this happen, that's one possible road to walk down on!

I personally choose not to RP with people who use clearly stolen images or even entire character designs, but I'm more lenient on the generic Anime art. It usually only bothers me when it's a small freelance artist who gets really hurt by art theft, as opposed to... well, Marvel, for example. XD
Asroc

Sanne wrote:
I personally choose not to RP with people who use clearly stolen images or even entire character designs, but I'm more lenient on the generic Anime art. It usually only bothers me when it's a small freelance artist who gets really hurt by art theft, as opposed to... well, Marvel, for example. XD

Official art for my Akira muse is hard, so I either had a friend do a pic pf me of him or ask people on Pixiv if I could use their art for my muse. Since the only official art I have see of him is on the game box and promotional art.

The whole stolen art and editing over it kind of irks me.

I think thisis also why I don't have any OCs, either. ^^'
ThePsychicBruiser wrote:

I'm kinda curious about this, why would that be a reason~? (then again, it's 3 in the Morning and I'm headed to bed.) If it's a personal matter or you don't want to talk about it it's ok, or you can use a PM
Asroc

Reima wrote:
ThePsychicBruiser wrote:

I'm kinda curious about this, why would that be a reason~? (then again, it's 3 in the Morning and I'm headed to bed.) If it's a personal matter or you don't want to talk about it it's ok, or you can use a PM

I'll PM you 'bout it if that is okay. It kind of hurts to explain, but I will try my best at explaining.
Kim Site Admin

Hi guys,

I'm calling it here. This thread is incredibly negative without many redeeming uses or discussions.

I'd like to point out the following resources:

Preventing & Dealing with Drama
Dealing with God modding
Running a RP Group
and most importantly Find a Moderator

Many of the abuses recently described in this thread are against the rules here. I'm terribly sorry you've suffered them elsewhere and received no help -- this is part of why Moderator Appreciation Day is a holiday on this site, because of examples like the ones you've provided. Decent moderation makes a world of difference. If you are being harassed or having your RPs hijacked on the RPR, do not hesitate to contact a moderator for help.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » RP Cliches/Pet Peeves/Experiences with said peeves

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus