Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » RP Cliches/Pet Peeves/Experiences with said peeves

I kinda have major and minor pet peeves. My major pet peeves are:
  1. Oc hyjacking, or when someone, without permission, takes away someone else's oc to do whatever with it, including getting it killed, or saying that the other rper's oc is PERMANENTLY dead, even if they try to join a new rp, then the oc hyjacker throws a fit when they are told otherwise.
  2. Rp hyjacking, or when someone FORCEFULLY joins a rp without permission, despite the others' protests.
  3. Forcing a oc that doesn't fit in a rp, without being allowed to, into it. There are individuals who think one(or more) of their ocs fits all rps, when they actually don't, such as a Pokémon oc in a Code Lyoko rp.
  4. Godmodding, which explains itself.
My minor pet peeve is where if a oc fits in a rp topic, the rp's owner/GM/DM excludes a charater type, without saying it, where the joiner is forced to make a change to their oc, which would destroy the oc, thereby forcing the user to stay out of the rp, anyways. This forces me to ask if a rp accepts dragons, which may seem annoying to others, but if you're going to exclude certain stuff from a rp, please say such, so there wouldn't be drama, hurt feelings, or problems later.
HwoThumb

PlayerArc wrote:
...or saying that the other rper's oc is PERMANENTLY dead, even if they try to join a new rp, then the oc hyjacker throws a fit when they are told otherwise.

Does this happen a lot on other sites? I hear people mention it a lot, but I've never really seen it happen. My character's "buddy" character has turned evil, gotten killed, disappeared, or survived across different RPs, but he just keeps coming back in the next one.

That aside, on the more minor one, I'm not sure I agree. It definitely depends on the situation, and if there's an unspoken agreement that all character types not explicitly banned are allowed, that's an understandable perspective. But there are a ton of different kinds of characters out there, and you can't always know who will be interested in your RP until you post it. Going down the list and saying, "Demihumans yes, angels no, demons maybe, anthros maybe, dragons yes, zombies no, vampires maybe, werewolves no, aliens, no," isn't always sensible.

And that's assuming you stay consistent into what types are allowed. I've let players in Serik create their own alien races and I've sent people away for the same thing. Cyborgs weren't canon until one player showed up with one that worked with the setting. I've sent away Jedis, Time Lords, Vampires, and Xenomorphs. It all depends on what fits in the RP, and that isn't always the same for every character type or situation.

Just my two cents. I do agree though; being told that you have to adjust your charrie due to some unspoken rule can be a bit annoying, especially if they don't create any obvious consistency problems or jarring setting adjustments.
Asroc

Another peeve is when people reply with huge images. I have not seen anyone do it here. I seen it on other forums and tumblr. Be it huge images or giant animated gifs that have nothing to do with the said post.

Another is when people trail epilepsies like this................... at the end of a sentence.
HwoThumb

ThePsychicBruiser wrote:
Another is when people trail epilepsies like this................... at the end of a sentence.
I think you meant elipses... :)

...But yeah, that one always strikes me as a bit annoying, along with multiple exclamation marks. The only thing worse than using three exclamation marks is using two!!

I know I tend to overuse em dashes — which isn't necessarily a bad thing — but I've fallen into a bad writing habit of using them to replace commas and parentheses — much to the dismay of my English teacher.
Asroc

HwoThumb wrote:
ThePsychicBruiser wrote:
I think you meant elipses... :)

...But yeah, that one always strikes me as a bit annoying, along with multiple exclamation marks. The only thing worse than using three exclamation marks is using two!!

I know I tend to overuse em dashes — which isn't necessarily a bad thing — but I've fallen into a bad writing habit of using them to replace commas and parentheses — much to the dismay of my English teacher.

LAWL. Thanks for the correction. Damn auto-correct.

That can go for the whole exclamations as you said as well. One or two are fine, but something such as "!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and "?!?!!?!?!!?!?!!?!?!!!!?!!!?!?" Looks silly.

Another one is when people talk In and OOC in a roleplay. As in middle of it.
Kim Site Admin

A certain number of the peeves mentioned on this page would be eligible for moderator intervention on the RPR. >.>
Kim wrote:
A certain number of the peeves mentioned on this page would be eligible for moderator intervention on the RPR. >.>

Do you mean the peeves are something the forum doesn't allow? Sorry XD Wording is really important with me, if someone words something in a way I haven't seen or are unfamiliar with it throws me off and I can't understand the entire sentence XD
Asroc

Sketch444 wrote:
Kim wrote:

Do you mean the peeves are something the forum doesn't allow? Sorry XD Wording is really important with me, if someone words something in a way I haven't seen or are unfamiliar with it throws me off and I can't understand the entire sentence XD

I saw a post about RPing canons is a peeve. That made me die on the inside. I am bad at making my own OCs.

To each of their own I guess.
I pretty much agree with what everyone said on here, minus the whole "I don't like canon characters" thing since that's... well, in my opinion, really nothing to complain about. It might just be me not grasping why it's a pet peeve, but that's something I don't think I'll go into unless it comes up again.

For me personally, what I've noticed lately is that I get a bit irked when I see people be too... what's the word... over-articulate with their dialogue?

Okay, let me give you an example.

You've got two characters, right? Both of them are pretty casual, everyday guys. The two of them are friends. Here's a conversation they might have.

"Morning Bob, how you doing today?"
"I'm fine, thanks. How about you, Rich?"
"Pretty good. Just waiting for my dad to get back from work. He's stuck in traffic."
"Ah, shame. Guess he just got caught in rush hour."

To me, that's believable. It sounds something like you would hear regular people talk like. However, I've seen some RP'ers who would articulate that a little more than what might actually be necessary, like this:

"Good Morning, Bob. How are you feeling today?"
"I'm grand, thanks. How about yourself, Richard?"
"I'm well. I'm just waiting for my father to return from work. Unfortunately, he's stuck in traffic."
"Ah, that's a shame. I suppose he must've gotten caught in rush hour."

Despite the fact that the same meaning came across in both pieces of work, the second demonstration sounds a little too formal for two everyday guys. Depending on the circumstances, by all means it could be plausible; but more often than not, I see dialogue like this used in context that seems to me a bit out of place.

If any of that made sense?
Asroc

@AmorAstrum

The first example is something I saw from a person on tumblr. Despite he ends everything with ellipses abuse.

As I mentioned with giant picture abuse. How about people replying with short posts and using a giant gif as a response? Still I have seen this more on tumblr more than anything.

People who force their RP styles or fetishes on anyone is pretty much a huge no.

I don't see this often, but I had someone elsewhere say they didn't like Akira, because of his hair. They demanded I be someone else. Yeah. People who try to change someone's character, because they dislike how they look, sound, etc seems rather rude IMO.
Sanne Moderator

Sketch444 wrote:
Kim wrote:

Kim means that certain pet peeves are against the rules, e.g. 'Hijacking another person's thread even though you've been asked to leave'. This is a form of harassment and moderators will step in and ensure that person doesn't stay in threads they're not welcome in. :)

AmorAstrum wrote:
Despite the fact that the same meaning came across in both pieces of work, the second demonstration sounds a little too formal for two everyday guys. Depending on the circumstances, by all means it could be plausible; but more often than not, I see dialogue like this used in context that seems to me a bit out of place.

If any of that made sense?

Both forms of dialogue are 100% acceptable in my opinion! There are so many reasons why it can be written that way, including that's just how the character speaks to it being a common way of speaking where they're from or currently located. It can also have to do with the writer not being an English native speaker. In Dutch and German for example, you address and speak to a stranger in a formal way (which includes different words for 'you'). Depending on what one's native language is, it may transfer into their English to use formal dialogue more frequently than informal.

It certainly makes sense that when it feels like an inappropriate timing for you to apply this formal speech, it's a bit annoying. If your RP partner does that, I recommend asking why their character speaks like that and working with them to see what form of dialogue is more appropriate, of course. :)
Asroc

I may have mentioned this.

Does forcing your fetishes on people count as a petpeeve?
yeah. Sure that;s also a form of sexual harassment
Sanne wrote:
Sketch444 wrote:
Kim wrote:

Kim means that certain pet peeves are against the rules, e.g. 'Hijacking another person's thread even though you've been asked to leave'. This is a form of harassment and moderators will step in and ensure that person doesn't stay in threads they're not welcome in. :)

I've actually had that happen to me once. I was in a Pokemon anthro RP, and I made it a rule that legendaries DO NOT exist in that world, and there was this one person who kept bringing up legendaries. And no matter how many times I told them to stop, the person CONTINUED to bring up legendaries, so I told the person that they had to stop posting, and then they pretty much hijacked the RP.
Asroc

Sketch444 wrote:

The sad thing. I kept telling them no and please stop. They kept making frowny faces. I have developed a certain phobias.

RPers need to learn what "no" means. Be it to creepy fetishes or the ones who want to do RP fights.

Has anyone ever ran into someone who has an OC or a annoying character that tries to be "badass" and steal the limelight of the RP? Or the one who fights and can't take hits? Then gets angry when called out?
Sanne Moderator

ThePsychicBruiser wrote:
Sketch444 wrote:

The sad thing. I kept telling them no and please stop. They kept making frowny faces. I have developed a certain phobias.

RPers need to learn what "no" means. Be it to creepy fetishes or the ones who want to do RP fights.
MugoUrth wrote:
I've actually had that happen to me once. I was in a Pokemon anthro RP, and I made it a rule that legendaries DO NOT exist in that world, and there was this one person who kept bringing up legendaries. And no matter how many times I told them to stop, the person CONTINUED to bring up legendaries, so I told the person that they had to stop posting, and then they pretty much hijacked the RP.

That would be a good time to 1) get in touch with a moderator and 2) utilize the "Block" feature the site has to offer to protect yourself. While it's definitely unpleasant to have these things happening to you, you have the power to stop it before it happens again. I know moderators on other sites can be unhelpful and uncaring, but on RPR the mods take this stuff seriously and help you out - but you have to tell them or they won't know something's wrong. People who break the rules (and are reported) are given several chances to better their behavior, but after several 'strikes' they lose their privileges on the site and the issues are resolved.

These are definitely valid pet peeves and I agree with so many of them, but I've also learned that how annoying pet peeves are depends on how you deal with it. I've heard people say too often "This happens to me ALL THE TIME why doesn't it stop?!", but when asked "Did you do such and so to get it taken care of?" they say no (even when I was still a mod a few years ago, I had friends who did this and it's VERY frustrating when people don't tell you and therefore you can't help!). The amount of issues I've had ever since I put my foot down and said "Till here and no further" is when most of my pet peeves stopped crippling my RP experiences. ;)
Kim Site Admin

ThePsychicBruiser wrote:
Sketch444 wrote:

If this happened on the RPR, PLEASE get in touch with me via PMs. This sounds very serious and I absolutely want to address it so that it doesn't happen to you or anyone else again.
ThePsychicBruiser wrote:
Sketch444 wrote:

Is it wrong that I have a habbit of trying to add fat or muscular characters to every RP I'm in, even though I try to keep things tasteful?
MugoUrth wrote:
s it wrong that I have a habbit of trying to add fat or muscular characters to every RP I'm in, even though I try to keep things tasteful?

No it's not. So long as you're keeping things tasteful I see no problem with it. It's when you're actively forcing a fetish down someone's throat that a problem arises. Simply using a fat character wouldn't be against the rules. And if that were a problem, the same could be said for just about every other character type.
ThePsychicBruiser wrote:
Has anyone ever ran into someone who has an OC or a annoying character that tries to be "badass" and steal the limelight of the RP? Or the one who fights and can't take hits? Then gets angry when called out?

Kind of. I had this one friend whose OC was a demon hunter who was trained by 'The Masters' to kill everything and anything. His character was unkillable, couldn't feel pain, and I'm sure the character had a large list of powers that helped making him untouchable. His character was also a master thief who could steal anything no matter how secure or well guarded. Anytime another friend of mine, who was also friends with him, would suggest ways to improve the character, since we had problems rp'ing with him because of the character, he would freak out and throw a tantrum. To add to the trouble he seemed determined to shove his OC and one of mine into a relationship when they didn't even exist in the same universe. He was also always asking for me and my other friend to shoehorn his character into our stuff. Ultimately we cut off ties with him. I forget why specifically, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to his OC. And thankfully, these events weren't on RPR, so no one else here has to worry about running into him.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » RP Cliches/Pet Peeves/Experiences with said peeves

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus