Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » RP Cliches/Pet Peeves/Experiences with said peeves

Basic roleplay rule #1: Don't close yourself off to the potential of roleplay just because you wish to indulge in a niche.

I hate picky and selective people, period. I also hate OOC drama
I hate it when people disappear although I will admit to have done it a few times. Not gonna lie, sometimes I just can't get my butt on due to rping frustration, it may not have anything with the person I am rping with, but for some reason or another I just loathe the idea of getting on a particular site. Going to try to make a point of at least leaving a not the next time that happens tho.

I also hate one liners. If someone replies to me with a one liner, I can just feel the creative juices drying up. I just can't work with one liners as they bore the heck out of me. I have no problem with people using one liners with other people, just not with me thank you.

I REALLY hate it when someone joins a roleplay, makes a profile and then never actually takes part in the roleplay. No they almost never leave a note even tho you KNOW they have been on. It just really irritates me.
woodlands wrote:
"In relation to that, anthropomorphic characters that act entirely like humans tends to make me raise an eyebrow a bit as well. What about their limb movements, like ears and tail? Do they perk or lower with their mood? Do they bark, meow, chirp, neigh or whicker? If they don't... why not simply play a human? Why play an anthro OC, when it has no animal characteristics?"

Well you pretty much hit my pet peeve in the head. I absolutely hate it when anthro characters don't hold any animalistic ideals that coincide with their species. I mean hey, my transgender hyena (ftm), is transgender because it's natural for female hyenas to have a horrendous amount of testosterone in them. So, I built on that by saying that the amount of testosterone affected the way he looks at himself. And his actions are very hyena like. His tail perks up, hackles raise, he even has the piercing laugh.

ALthough, with that coupled with Phil Lamarr's Vamp voice...
Pet Peeves? How about to much self hype in writing, where the RPer has other characters keep talking about how awesome his/her character is. Always using their writing paragraphs to describe how superbly awesome they were ''She was ready for the fight, just like years ago when she was forced to hold off the army of trolls on her own, when she was dubbed as one of the worlds champions by the royal family''
Darkblaze40 wrote:
''She was ready for the fight, just like years ago when she was forced to hold off the army of trolls on her own, when she was dubbed as one of the worlds champions by the royal family''

I've done stuff like that sometimes, but I try to keep it relevant - like, say, the character is trying to amp herself up for a particularly big/important fight, or simply to help explain confidence when facing such a big/important fight.
Novalyyn wrote:
Darkblaze40 wrote:
''She was ready for the fight, just like years ago when she was forced to hold off the army of trolls on her own, when she was dubbed as one of the worlds champions by the royal family''

I've done stuff like that sometimes, but I try to keep it relevant - like, say, the character is trying to amp herself up for a particularly big/important fight, or simply to help explain confidence when facing such a big/important fight.

Yeah, there's amping yourself up, then there's long descriptions of just different characters the RPer controls that just shower her in praise. Though I've done this with a character who was lying his ass off all the way through.
This really exclusive to Pokemon based RP's honestly, but I prefer the game's logic to the anime's. I can't stand it when someone's using a normal type and tries to use a normal move on a ghost type and it hits because the pokemon 'was SOOOOOO determined!' I don't like pokemon saying their names and that sorta thing. I think these could apply else where but I can't think of many other things.

I thankfully haven't seen many characters like this on the site and certainly haven't rp'ed with any, but I utterly hate characters that have a decent life but their all angsty and depressed for literally no reason. I also don't like a character whose age doesn't line up with skill. I don't care who your character is, but if they're under twenty they aren't a master assassin that can take out the most heavily guarded person in the world without being seen. Your character didn't choose to start training to master their skills as a toddler and have total master control over their powers by sixteen. They just don't. Characters like that piss me off.
HwoThumb

One thing that doesn't so much bug me as it does cause trouble in any RP is when the players can't decide on their playstyle and relationship with the DM. Do the players tell the story together? Does the DM guide things, and if so, how much? While some don't mind the DM narrating their character's actions for a sentence or two for the sake of flow, I once had a player break off an RP with me after one post because I causally mentioned what they ate for lunch in the intro post and it was something their character would never eat. (It seemed a bit silly to me, but I can understand that some prefer more control over their character than others)

Basically, what I've learned is that if the DM and the players don't naturally find a way to play that works for everyone within the first few posts, it's important that they discuss it OOC before people end up harboring resentments. It's also important that whether DM or player, you be forgiving for others' mistakes. If they do something you don't like or cross a line, tell them politely as possible. Being snarky or rude will just make the other person defensive, and escalate the issue (Not to mention it throws a bitter taste on the game for a while afterwards) If you can't resolve the issue without raised voices, it's probably a sign that the current player setup is incompatible or toxic, anyway.
When people give their characters a short-term rage/berserker/whatever you want to call it mode that make them unstoppable "but they're super-weak and vulnerable when it wears off!" It wears off the moment they're safe, every time.
sland wrote:
When people give their characters a short-term rage/berserker/whatever you want to call it mode that make them unstoppable "but they're super-weak and vulnerable when it wears off!" It wears off the moment they're safe, every time.
I blame Elfien Lied (this anime is probably the mother of every "Mary Sue" character out there I swear like it's the original "Mary Sue") or Rosario + Vampire for that horrible, horrible trope. It's just so, so lazy and gahhhhh it's like everywhere from anime & manga, books, comics, television, movies, just ughhhhh. So much bad writing honestly. Okay I know they aren't the main cause for that terrible trope, but they sure had, unfortunately, greatly affected the anime & manga community back in the 2000s that even people who've never watched/read the series as of 2015 have characters so horribly similar to the protags of these anime/manga

Like I know people can write that, but it doesn't mean that they should. Or that it makes it good writing or emotionally investing... Plus R+V made me hate catch phrases and that how every vampire related thing has OP/supreme overlord race vampires like???

Aside that, a pet peeve of mine is the "I'm Batman Uchiha Montoya. You/Someone/I killed my family when I was a child. I'm so incredibly angsty. I'm a literal monster. I'm so filled up with rage and sadness. No one understands me. I'll never let anyone understand me. I'm a loner. I sit in the back seat in class. I listen to Linkin Park and Metallica. I live in pain and I don't trust anyone. I may have also been abused in a XXX way by someone I trust/don't know. I'm a very sad and or angry person" character arch type like...

I've hardly ever met a OC who was able to pull that arch type off because it's just so... Over done and overused and it's like every character that falls into this arch type is like doing a very angsty version of "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better" but as "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Emo'r"

Like, idk, I feel like people don't know that they can write a good, well-developt, and emotionally investing character that isn't trying to win Literature's Top Most Beautifully Tragic, Angsty, Misunderstood Character. :/

Honestly, I used to RP with these character types, but now I barely do since they now bore me because I can just already see what the Tragically Angsty Character is going to do, say, think, act, everything. And then there's "listening" to their one dramatic dialogue of just how miserable their life was before they ran away/got kidnapped/moved away/etc and blah blah blah. They're all just the same to me. =x=;;;
My pet peeves usually surround character design, things which are typical of younger players who can't necessarily help it, they don't have the experience to develop a more complex, multi-faceted character. My peeve is not with younger players, because they can grow beyond this, it's usually with players who have roleplayed for years and show little development beyond these characteristics:

1. Emotions as personality traits; I feel this arises from an inability to design a consistent personality. The player perhaps even knows that if a character has a concrete personality, they will not always react to a situation in a favourable way. The character is not flawed by say prejudices, which arise from indoctrination or oppression, but are instead 'angry.' They are not burdened with guilt or haunted by past traumas, but instead 'sad.'

2. 3cool5me; a character who is ostensibly based on anime. They wear a trenchcoat despite time and place settings, wield a katana or shuriken and are skilled in martial arts, which you may as? All of them. I know there are characters which are developed beyond this, which maybe began as very two-dimensional and the grew beyond that, but when the character is just a haphazard assembly of anime tropes, I immediately feel prickly. This may even cross over into characters who are also a list of adjectives designed to make them 'cool,' but ultimately are very hollow and emerge only when it suits the player, e.g. "He's also a ninja, and a samurai, and he has ki blasts, his hands also turn into guns, because he's an android and a werewolf vampire hybrid."
Claine Moderator

A pet peeve of mine are posts like this:

Me: Joe picks the book off the table and flips through the pages.
Other player: Mary watches Joe pick up the book. She wonders what the book could possibly be about.

It's a bit hard to explain what I mean, but I'll try! It's when the other player doesn't have any visible action. Either the post is entirely them watching my character, or largely the character's thoughts. It makes me so mad because it's like RPing with a wall. I have to keep pushing the story forward with every post, with absolutely nothing to react to.

I know I'm guilty of it when I began to RP many a year ago XD

These days I try to make an effort in pushing the story forward with every post.
This mostly happened on the site I was one before, but it happened a lot, and it's just a huge red flag for me.
I would often meet players, who made their characters to act in "abusive" ways, without realising it themselves, and when I pointed it out to them, they would just shrug it off, or claim that they think that it is romantic.
I once had a character basically sexually assault my character, but the other player wanted to play it off as her character being "romantic" by not taking no for an answer, and just nonononononono.
I am all of sexual assault, rape, violence and the like happening in the roleplay, but it should make sense for the characters, we should have discussed it beforehand, unless we both can see that it is a "natural" development of where we are going, and we are not going to put the two characters romantically together after that.
This is not as much a pet peeve, as it's just something that I will not tolerate.

A pet peeve of mine, is when players are very obviously trying to get me to do something, but it's against what my character would do. Like, no my character is not going to approach your character, no matter how cute they are looking in that dress, because my character has social anxiety.
Also, when people very obviously haven't read up on your character at all, and obviously just see you as a puppet in their little self-insert fantasy. (nothing against self-inserts, but a bit against self-inserts).
Claine wrote:
A pet peeve of mine are posts like this:

Me: Joe picks the book off the table and flips through the pages.
Other player: Mary watches Joe pick up the book. She wonders what the book could possibly be about.

I second this. This really grinds my gears. I like reactions (the first sentence), and I adore small glimpses into the character's mind (the second sentence, kind'a), but what's missing is the most important part--giving you, their partner, something in return. That's a true pet peeve of mine.

I'll work with my partners on writing styles, set-ups, whatever. That isn't working with you. That's making you do all the work and letting them be passively entertained.
Asroc

Mine are...

Limelight stealers.

Ones who do join the roleplay, but try to dominate it by either being a badass, healing someone right away when they are injured or try to bring in some badguys out of the blue when others are trying to enjoy the story. Then they throw a tantrum on why no one is paying them any attention.

So many powers!

I will admit. We may have done this in the past with our own characters. Perhaps when we were younger? I still see this today where people feel the need to give their character every power under the sun. Mostly I seethem use DBZ, Naruto or any type of Cliché anime power. They deny they god mod, auto ETC.

Canon Characters who are overly OOC.

Ah. This one tests me at times. I will say. I don't RP OCs much,because I am kind of rubbish at making them. Akira isn't a known character, considering Live a Live has never been released outside Japan. It just annoys me when I see someone RP a character or try to and make them seemly out of character. I seen this allot on Facebook and Tumblr RP. Be it Mario or any Nintendo character dropping F-bombs, DMC Rperers being extremely sexual or someone RPing the character for the cool factor. It be like making Mario go SSJ.

Canon vs OC RPers

I am fairly lax on OCs, because I will RP with them, as long they aren't god modey or a walking cliché storm. I have seen horrible OC Rpers tell Canon Rpers that they are not original, when their character could be a recolour pony. I seen canon Rpers deny OC Rpers. Can't both of us get along?

Honourable mentions.

Spelling. Not everyone uses American English and not everyone uses British English. Never correct someone if they use Colour/color.

Fetishes

I do not want to RP with you and your creepy kinks. I am fine with lesser ones such as Bondage. Macro, Micro and other gross ones just creep me out.

Controlling

Up there with Fetishes. Do not say what my character does or say something lands on 'em because of your actions.

@ Aethling

I have seen that way too much. It gets old, fast. Allot of times, the character has a horrible past or comes from a royal family or are last of their kind. Their names are either Japanese or some variant mess of syllables being clashed together to sound Japanese. Ditto on the weapons part.
Dawson Guidio (played by EpicMan561)

*looks at my character in response to Psychic's post*

Horrible past, check...

Royal family... Nope.

Japanese words... Che- Oh, wait. It's Italian. In the clear.
Asroc

Dawson Guidio wrote:
*looks at my character in response to Psychic's post*

Horrible past, check...

Royal family... Nope.

Japanese words... Che- Oh, wait. It's Italian. In the clear.

Yer fine, yo. No harm!

More of the horrible past with no explanation would be more of a peeve.

Mine is basically fully explained. He was experimented on as a child, and turned into what he is today by basically being tortured for years. Until the facility was comprimised, and bombed. After which, he went into a coma. Then, he woke up with his eye gouged out, and no memory of the bombing. That's where I am, so far.
Asroc

Dawson Guidio wrote:
Mine is basically fully explained. He was experimented on as a child, and turned into what he is today by basically being tortured for years. Until the facility was comprimised, and bombed. After which, he went into a coma. Then, he woke up with his eye gouged out, and no memory of the bombing. That's where I am, so far.

Now, that is a good concept. Kind of how Akira's past where he and his sister lost their father. He witnessed his father being shot at a young age, which traumatised him.

Your character seemspretty cool.

Ahah. This character is my oldest. Most time to work on him. XD

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » RP Cliches/Pet Peeves/Experiences with said peeves

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus