Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Trolls

Oh what a sad day. I have heard about, and seen trolls everywhere, and finally been a victim.

Today, on DeviantArt, I finished a picture of one of my OCs, submitted it, and was surprised to have it favorites right away. When I went to my messages, this user had put my picture into a folder called 'Bad Art'. Looking at their art it was all scribbles and strange looking things. So I asked why don't they give constructive criticism if they don't like it? And they say "Your bad get good" exactly like that.

What's wrong with the world? And what is SO amusing about being a troll?
Yuka

Ah, the wonders of what the anonymity of the internet can do
Trolls...hmm... Heh.
Ilmarinen Moderator

It's best to ignore them from now on. :) I've seen many come and go but I've never been a victim because I never feed them.

Unless you're talking about these trolls, in which case, I merrily join them.
This troll cannot even use proper grammar. A 7th grader would know it's "YOU'RE"
This troll is a failure.
I suddenly feel like troll hunting...
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Meedleboot wrote:
This troll cannot even use proper grammar. A 7th grader would know it's "YOU'RE".

I thought bad grammar was a trademark of trolling?

Amirrora, it's sad that these people exist but the best thing you can do is ignore it and don't let it bother you. Remember, they are really just trying to get a reaction out of you, don't let them have the satisfaction and don't let it put you off, you're a talented artist. It does hurt the first few times someone says something nasty about your work for no good reason but it does get easier :)
Agreed. I've encountered plenty of em before. In real life too such as when I get excited cause I actually make a shot in basketball and they tell me it was lame. I totally suck at basketball. Those 'Real life' trolls though. I will at least say I have a level of respect for them cause they at least say stuff to my face and not talk behind my back. But either way you just gotta ignore em and don't let em get ya down.
Uuugh that sucks. :(
I've had someone on Furc call me a halfhearted bitch because I wouldn't RP sex with them. >>

Here's what you do, Ami. :) You see the little 'x' button on the troll's comment? Click it. :D
That's why the button's there! Just because someone's bored and feels like being a jerk doesn't mean you have to even acknowledge it. Just click the button and it's gone. If someone starts harassing you, you can block them from your page.

Trolls are just people with no lives who feel the need to belittle people in order to make themselves feel better. The best way to deal with a troll is to ignore them completely.
Hope the trolling stops! <3 You don't deserve it at all, girl
Amirrora Topic Starter

It does suck, but it didn't bother me too much. I just wonder why? Is it REALLY that entertaining?
SeraphicStar

I dunno, I never thought to ask. I'm usually too busy ignoring them. :P
Darth_Angelus Moderator

Personally, I like to think they're jealous of people with actual talent :)
Amirrora Topic Starter

darth_angelus wrote:
Personally, I like to think they're jealous of people with actual talent :)

That may be true. o3o. Dunno.

I personally think they have a low self-esteem or something.
Glad to see someone who doesn't get totally caught up in the drama of trolls when it happens to them. <3

Like it's already been said, just ignore 'em. Best thing you can do. They want a reaction, whether it's "BWAAAAH STOP BEING MEAN TO MEEE" or "<Insert intelligent reply here>". Never give 'em the satisfaction. They don't deserve it. ;)

Why do they do it? Heck, who knows. Boredom, irritation @ the person (I am guilty of this on occasion), low-self esteem, arrogance... there's a billion different reasons, y'know?
Sanne Moderator

Amirrora wrote:
It does suck, but it didn't bother me too much. I just wonder why? Is it REALLY that entertaining?

If you have nothing better to do than watch naughty Anime in your mom's basement and get fat from all the Dr. Pepper and chips and pizza, you're bound to want to find something to make other people feel worse than you do and distract yourself from your own misery. Best done through watching people getting upset over things you say but don't mean, so that you can laugh at how 'stupid' they are because they let your words affect them so much. It gives a false sense of power over other people and makes them believe they're worth more than what they really are, even though they can't hold a job and failed in school.

I've been trolled a few times, but I'm a real fan of ignore buttons so they usually leave me alone.

They basically get off of the attention. If you respond to them, no matter what it is that you say (such as you asking for actual feedback when it's obvious you're not going to get any), you're feeding them. Your response gives them a misplaced power. They think it makes them special. They're basically just really untalented manipulators who have nothing else going for them.
I'll be honest-- I hate the block/ignore features.
Why? People abuse them and it's SUPER annoying.
I find that I don't even NEED them.
If I just don't reply to the trolls, they lose interest and move on.

And about the trolling people with talent thing: In some cases, this is totally true. Though, I've seen some pretty BAD stuff trolled, too.
Sanne Moderator

Meedleboot wrote:
I'll be honest-- I hate the block/ignore features.
Why? People abuse them and it's SUPER annoying.
I find that I don't even NEED them.
If I just don't reply to the trolls, they lose interest and move on.

Abuse them? How can you abuse an ignore feature? If someone wants to put you on ignore, they have every right in the world to do so. It's understandable that you don't like being ignored, but if someone doesn't want to receive your messages (for whatever reason) then they can block you from sending them. That isn't abuse, that is using a tool for what it's made for, is it not? o.O What else would you be using ignore for?

It's good that you don't need the ignore feature, but if I want to ignore someone's messages it really helps being able to prevent them from being sent to me. I've no interest in glancing at a message from someone whose existence I don't wish to acknowledge, especially if they troll me. That way I'm not even giving them a chance to upset me and I make ignoring them ultimately complete.

I encourage everyone to use ignore tools where possible because they exist for a very, very good reason. Some people don't need them, but most do.
Well, I'm sick of people pushing the button on me while I'm in the middle of explaining a misunderstanding or the such.
Hence why I never use it. I'd kinda be a hypocrite if I did use it.

Though, I should probably stop myself there. I'm getting a bit too off topic.
Countertrolling a troll is the awesomest way to deal with one. Unfortunately, it sometimes encourages them to keep harrassing you, unless your attempt is so exuberantly awesome that they are shamed and embarrassed all the way back under the rock they came from. Countertrolling also provides a more substantial high of excellence than trolling does, because you really did make a dumb out of someone who deserved it.

I guess that's where the root of the pleasure in trolling comes from, though--they think it's amusing to see the enraged reactions that people exhibit when you poke them in just the right places, going HURRHURR U SO STOOPET I TROL U. I think things like labelling someone's work as BAD ART is a very sad attempt at trolling, though. That's not classy or clever trolling (if, indeed, trolling can ever be classy), that's the basest form of it that there is, and it isn't funny in the slightest. Now, asking stupid MMORPG questions in the midst of elitist videogamers and watching them get angry at you for it? That's funny.

Tangent aside, if you really don't want to deal with the troll ever again (or milk them for lulz of your own), ignoring is the best thing to do. Just remember that no matter what you tell them, they will only make infuriatingly illogical responses, and nothing you say will change their minds, their attitudes or their actions--the only weapon that works is the stern, harsh judgement of disregarding silence.
Honestly if they only said that I would have honestly asked "Ok so you think it is bad, Like what is exactly bad about it? The arms? legs?" In attempts to try to get them to explain.

Either way I generally try to keep off of Deviantart, from what I've seen, they have very little quality control over what becomes a DD and what doesn't (Most of the art that does tends to be mediocre instead of the amazing stuff.), people take things like constructive crit as a personal insult, People white knight eachother for no reason, even over something as simple as the phrase as "That isn't 5 colors", as well as many other annoyances.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Trolls

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus