Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

Xepil (played by MordosKull)

"Exactly, grrr." Says Xepil to Rae as he follows along the party into the tunnel and the darkness of the tomb, only slightly repelled by the light of Galiena's lantern and John's magic.

As he stands, he immediately loads his atl-atl getting it ready to fire and starts looking around. "Heads up people, grrr, there was definitely some kind of beast here, grrr."

"Rae, what do yer dwarven eyes see? Grrr."
Rae keeps her torch low to avoid blinding herself. She stands at the edge of the western tunnel and squints into the darkness as the others climb out into the room.

"Nothin' yet," she replies to Xepil's question, "But I heard somethin' down that way. Could be a rat or somethin', but best be prepared for an attack..." She takes a moment to glance around the room again after stepping away from the edge of the tunnel. "Cozy, i'n it?" she mutters sarcastically before turning to stare down the hallway once more.
((Oops, I was gonna roll and accidentally posted... Let me know if you need another roll though!))
The GM (played by Juls) Topic Starter

((No roll needed to cast the light.... it works!))

John spots nothing that would suggest any enchantments or magical traps. The walls here are just huge rocks, unadorned by any carvings or writings.

Just at the very edge of Rae's torchlight (about 30'), she can see the narrow tunnel opens into something else... either a larger tunnel or another chamber ... it's difficult to tell from here. Whatever she heard has ceased making noise.

((Opposed roll to see if Archer and Shara trap Josh. Edit: ouch on that roll for Josh. Go ahead and narrate his capture however you'd like, preferably without seriously injuring him in case EveeMaster returns again!))

Josh throws up an arm to ward off Shara. Archer's words only make him more desperate to flee as they seem to imply that now they do intend him harm. "I didn't do nothin'!" he cries, jumping over a small creek and scrambling up the far bank.

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 2. After the modifier of -2, got 0
Josh - escape attempt, penalty for injury

"Whaddya say? Shall we carry on?" Rae wonders aloud to her fellow adventurers. "This passageway widens out up 'ere. An' were gonna have ta take it sometime if'n were gonna find anythin'. Yeh ready then?" She takes a few steps into the hallway, hoping they'll follow. Now she moves her torch about as she looks at walls, ceiling, and floor for any potential problems while she waits for the others to join her.

rolled 1d6 and got 6
Keen Detection - Success on 1-4

Archer (played by FandomsForDays)

Archer smiles proudly as Shara caws one last time, before flying onto his shoulder and puffing her chest out proudly. Archer takes out a knife and aims a direct cut at Josh's left leg, deep enough to where Josh couldn't run away, but shallow enough to the point where he wouldn't die of bloodloss. He lifted the boy up with his stomach on Archer's arms, lessening the bloodflow by not carrying him bridal style. Shara, now that she was no longer angry, pecks at him gently, curious.

Archer swats her beak away, and pokes it gently, causing her to chirrup offendedly.

Josh screamed when the hunter's knife cut his leg, then quickly bit it back to short quick breaths through his nose to try to ease the pain. "Oww! I didn't do nothin!" he protests again despite that argument proving ineffectual the first time, trying to squirm out of Archer's grasp. "Whaddaya want wit me?" he asked, terribly afraid that he knew the answer to that question... to sacrifice him to the Hound of course.

Iraco glanced over toward Archer as he returned carrying the boy. "Ah, good! You got him!"

Lloré's hands were now bound and Droggo had a hold of his arm to keep the bard from going anywhere. "By the gods, Archie!" he exclaimed when he saw Josh's bleeding leg. "Was that really necessary?" The bard was just about the same age as the falconer and 2 inches taller, so had a difficult time viewing him as some authority figure, despite his position with the Jarl. But did feel that Archer might be more inclined to listen to reason than the sour Iraco and beseeched him instead of the older hunter.

"All we were doing is helping to find a way to defeat the Hound! For good! Not just for a night! You should be lending your aid rather than stopping our efforts! Please, Archie!"

"Ready," Galiena said in a low voice, heeding Rae's advice to not speak too loud. She follows next, leaving enough space between them to not be in Rae's way should the need for weapons arise.

The narrow tunnel would open into a slightly wider tunnel with multiple choices on where to go next. The air here in the wider tunnel is cool, damp, and musty. The walls are the same stone slabs that made up the partially collapsed chamber where they entered, but are in better shape ... nothing looks to be in danger of falling down.

no9hqs.jpg

((They would be coming out of the top-right side tunnel. Both sets of stairs go down.))

Archer winced at the nickname. It brought up a lot of memories from before the hound.

He scoffed.

"They are no such heroes as they self-proclaim. There's nothing heroic about going off on your own, and getting yourself killed." He spat on the ground and rubbed it into the dirt with his foot. "Mud below, and mud between. The dead cannot rise to a sky unseen."

He glared down at the boy in his arms, expression hardened but softening if by a little.

"We're not sacrificing you, you scuzz-brained boy. Just lay still and quiet, and you won't experience any more pain for the time being."

"Always ready, grrr." Xepil said sounding very eager for action. Despite preferring for Rae to take point, he advanced towards the end of the tunnel and pressed his back against a wall, peeking his head out of the corridor so he could take a quick peek towards both sides of the hallway.

"Path splits two ways, grrr." He mutters to the others, altatl dart at the ready as he approaches this as tactical military engagement. "Looks like we're on a higher level from the looks of it, grrr."

"Stay frosty and keep yer eyes open for traps, grrr." He continued, then he tried making some signals to tell Rae to cover the left right whilst Galiena covers the left.

Of course, all his hand gestures where in Hobgoblin sign language so their meaning might be difficult to convey...

rolled 2d20 and got 8
1 for Perception.

((Dang it, that didn't work as intended. Ignore those rolls I'll just have to do it separately.))

rolled 1d20 and got 8
Checking for traps

((

rolled 1d20 and got 14
Issuing commands

((JohntheWarden should be back soonish... dragging my feet on a reply to give him a chance to chime in... :) ))

Josh didn't believe him. But understood the threat contained within Archer's words. He gulped nervously and stayed still.

Liar... he thought. ...It still hurts.

"You want Hadden to take him back to Hirot?" Iraco said, gesturing to the boy. There was little point in hauling the injured lad around the forest with them, after all. "Then this one," he pointed at the bard, "I'm sure, can lead us to the others."

Xepil's signals go over well enough. Rae shines her torch toward the right and Galiena holds out her lantern to the left.

Ahead of the dwarf is just a few steps down into another chamber.

All seems quiet.

"Which way should we try?" Galiena whispers

(( Dang, did we just lose everybody?))

“Hmm, well, grrr, when I was in the Hobgoblin army they always told us to stick to the right wall when in a dungeon. So, grrr, to the right.”
"Well here going right means going to the first room with the door. I'd say the further we are from those spirits, the better. Let's take the first tunnel on the left."

Archer looked down at the boy in his arms and felt his throat constrict as he swallowed.

"Best to keep an eye on him." He sighed. "I'll keep track of him. I don't want him to do anything he'll regret." His voice dripped with warning as he knelt down and laid the boy down on his stomach. He ripped his shirtsleeve and wrapped it around the wound.

"Stand." He said, rising and placing his pack back on his back. Shara was silent the whole time, just watching.

Josh stayed mostly still as Archer bandaged the wound on his leg, then stood carefully, putting as little weight on the injured leg as possible. He didn't try to run again... at least not yet. Instead he exchanged a nervous look with the bound bard, then looked down at the ground, purposefully avoiding Archer's eyes.

"Ah, well, if you think it's best. So long as I don't gotta carry 'im, don't much matter to me," Iraco said with a shrug, then turned his attention back to Lloré. "So... where'd they get off to, huh?"

Lloré stared resolutely back at the hunters, forcing a half smile to his lips. "Who?" He knew perfectly well Iraco meant Xepil, Rae, John & Galiena. But if they were brave enough to delve into the haunted tomb, then he could be brave enough to buy them more time.

Galiena nodded to Xepil's instructions, turning with the intention of going right. Then John suggests left and she hesitates. "Down these steps, you mean?" she asks in a loud whisper, shining her lantern down them. "Looks like there's a room at the bottom. No doors that I can see though."

"Tsk, John quit being a freaking coward, grrrr, going to the left just takes us back where we started. I'll lead the way if it means speeding things up, grrr." Xepil traded his atl-atl for his axe and started moving towards the right.

Going right (north), the torchlight shows the tunnel opens into another chamber:

2d2gz8.jpg

Tall slabs of stone support the high ceiling here. Three long steps descend to the floor of the antechamber. Two hammered bronze braziers rest before a towering stone door at the north end of the chamber. The door is carved with hundreds of spiraling runes, spinning into infinity. Inscribed above the portal is the image of an enormous wolf being crushed to death by a giant snake.

The floor is covered by what appears to be thousands of thin, translucent strips of vellum. A second look reveals the crackling dried strips are the discarded skins of an untold number of serpents!

Archer growled at the bard's lack of response.

"Damn it! If we didn't need him, I swear I'd cut him down where he stands." He hissed, driving a knife into a nearby tree.

Shara peeped anxiously.

"Oh, hush girl. May the ghost eagle have mercy, there's no way that I want to be here, trekking across some forsaken forest to find the fools who are trying to find the bloody demon that ruined my life!" He sighed, placing a hand to his temple. "I need a drink."

"Now this is more like it! Grrr." Xepil inspects the room whilst his axe rests on his shoulder. He glances up and down to the scriptures and though he admits they look pretty awesome, he has no idea what they mean. "Grrr, ey wizard boy, come here and take a look at these things." Commands the Hobgoblin.

Then at the second look he notices all the serpent skins on the ground and backs up a bit. "Woop! Wait, hold on, grrrr. What's with all these freaking snake skins?? Grrr..."

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus