Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

The GM (played by Juls) Topic Starter

((Rae hits! Roll 1d6 damage))

The beast's feet leave the ground, lunging itself up toward Mocle and Naven up on the catwalk, claws outstretched at Mocle, just as Rae's hammer connects, knocking it slightly off its intended trajectory.

---

Edit to reflect results of roll:

The creature's claws catch the nightwatchman across his leg, leaving a bleeding wound across the man's calf. He falls back against the wall to avoid falling off as both he and Naven try to get new bolts loaded into their crossbows.

The catwalk doesn't provide enough surface for the hound, so comes back to the ground and toward Galiena and Rae, completely undeterred by the cleric's attempt to turn it...

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 14. After the modifier of -2, got 12
Beast's attack on Mocle. AC 12

rolled 1d4 and got 1
Claw damage... if applicable

((Hooray!))

rolled 1d6 and got 3
Damage (I have a note on my character profile that says 1d6+1. You can add that if it's correct. If not, I'll change it on my profile. :))

Xepil (played by MordosKull)

Xepil readies another flaming atl-atl dart and fires!

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 14. After the modifier of +1, got 15
Attackin'

((Hit! Roll damage. I'll get in an IC post tomorrow!))

rolled 1d6 and got a natural 5. After the modifier of +1, got 6
Damage

((These 1st level characters are puttin' a hurtin' on this thing! Vampire... keep the +1! I counted it.))

Xepil's dart hits the hound in the shoulder and the thing growls viciously, eyes momentarily finding the Hobgoblin up on the catwalk with an ease that suggests a greater intelligence than that of an average animal. But it swings its head back toward the much easier prey upon the ground...

The beast's malevolent gaze focuses in on Rae, opening it's mouth full of sharp teeth as it throws itself recklessly at the dwarf, intending to tear into her ...

Edit:

(Vampire, ouch! Sorry! I'll let you narrate the actual injury however you'd like...)

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 16. After the modifier of +2, got 18
Beast's attack on Rae

rolled 1d6 and got 4
Bite damage... if applicable

((Ouch, for sure! Ai-yi-yi, I've suddenly remembered why I so love playing ranged characters... :P ))

The dwarf chuckles as both she and the hobgoblin seem to be sticking it to this dreadful beast. Somehow, she misjudges the creature's reaction to the flaming dart and isn't as ready as usual for its attack. The teeth snap toward her throat in a sudden, but almost thought-out, rage. Rae just manages to roll her left arm upwards as the beast's jaw clamps shut and is caught about the shoulders. For several moments the hounds tosses its head about with a mop of unruly braids and two stout little legs hanging from either side of its jaw.

For a passing moment, Rae wonders why she didn't light herself on fire before immediately realizing that outcome wouldn't be any better than this one. As best she can she kicks at the monster's jaw until it releases its hold and tosses her off to the side.

Before she can fully assess her injuries or try to scramble to her feet, Rae points her hammer directly toward the face of this brutish creature. If he comes after her, he (hopefully) will find a warhammer instead of a dwarf lodged in his throat.
Galiena Reyns (played by Juls) Topic Starter

"Drop her!" Galiena tries commanding the beast as it shakes Rae, but her voice is lost in the fray and she rushes forward, gripping her mace in two hands and tries to smash it into the creature, knowing it could just as easily turn toward her next.

Almost at the same time Naven manages to get his crossbow loaded and aims it again at the hound. "Be gone, devil beast!" he screams, firing his shot into the melee below.

rolled 1d20 and got 6
Naven's crossbow shot

rolled 1d6 and got 5
Naven damage - if applicable

rolled 1d20 and got 4
Galiena's mace attack

rolled 1d6 and got 4
Galiena's damage - if applicable

Edit:

Naven's bolt flies into the dirt, missing the beast and also, thankfully, missing Galiena. Her own wild swing goes under the hound as it flings Rae to the side and turns it's now bloodied maw toward her.

(Xepil's up, then Rae!)

rolled 1d4 and got 3
1 - Galiena gets hit instead. 2-4 flies into the dirt.

Xepil winces a little when he sees the beast strike at the dwarf lady. "Oof, grr! That looked like it hurt, grrr." Thankfully dwarves are a stout sort, or so he remembers whenever his platoon had the misfortune of fighting them. Always had at least some casualties-- Xepil will fully admit that the top reason why he deserted the Hobgoblin army was because he didn't want to fight anymore dwarves.

Reminiscing aside, even though he noticed that the beast noticed him he was not moving from his spot. He was going to milk his height advantage for all its worth! And so he loaded another flaming dart and fired!

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 13. After the modifier of +1, got 14
Attackin'

((Roll for damage! :) ))

rolled 1d6 and got a natural 4. After the modifier of +1, got 5
Rollin'

As the beast turns its attention to the cleric, Rae roars to her feet in a fit of rage. No way is some cursed monster going to deter her from a good fight; she'd at least go down swinging.

A searing pain tears through her shoulder and down her arm, but the plucky dwarf ignores it as she hefts her weapon and swings with all her might toward the beast's hind leg. With any luck, she'll catch it at the knee and at least partially cripple the thing.

Edit:
... well.
At least I wasn't aiming very near Galiena...

rolled 1d20 and got a natural 1. After the modifier of +1, got 2
Attack

((oh teh noes! We don't do critical fumbles here do we?? o_o;; ))
((At least we can blame it on the fact that she's literally half dead right now... :P ))

((They aren't part of the WhiteBox rules... so unless you guys really want to include critical fumbles, I wasn't planning on it!))

The beast lunges toward Galiena and out of Rae's reach, the dwarf's weapon finding thin air where the hound's hind leg had just been. Its claws stretched outward as if to tear into the woman, but just as it seems about to reach the cleric, Xepil's flaming dart sunk deep into the creature's neck. Its momentum carries it into Galiena, knocking her over, but rolls past her, then collapses into a heap.

More of the nightwatchmen that had come from farther away were just rushing onto the scene, ready to do battle with the hound.

The hound itself dissolves into oily black mists.

"New folks in town, eh?" said Master Jenks, rubbing dirty fingers through his greasy black beard. "Josh, why don't you go check 'em out for us, huh?" the man said, shoving their youngest member out the door despite the fact that it was already past dark. Jenks liked to keep in the know about everything that went on in Hirot. If there was some way for him to make some money off these newcomers, he wanted to know about it.

Soon after, Josh would hear sounds of battle and commotion coming from the western side of Hirot. The Hound! It had returned to attack the town for the first time since the sacrifices every three nights had begun. If he goes to investigate, he'd arrive in time to see the three newcomers (a human female, a dwarven female, & a male hobgoblin!) and two of the nightwatchmen battling the monster. One of the nightwatchmen and the dwarf are injured. The hound is brought down from a flaming dart and within moments its body dissolves into oily black mists...
((I'm not overly attached to crit fails, so that's fine. The randomness they introduce into a game can be fun - until literally everything is going against you and your irritating dice decide to make it all worse, every time you roll...))

Rae grunts as her momentum is not broken, and she's spun about a quarter turn. The pain in her shoulder causes her to drop her weapon as she comes to the end of its swing. Hands on her knees, she doubles over to catch her breath. But being of the prideful sort and not wanting to look bad in front of humans and hobgoblins, she quickly regains her composure and stands herself upright.

Her warhammer is lifted up, but not jaintily onto her shoulder as usual. She makes her way over to the cleric and the area where that horrid beast had dissolved away. "Ya 'right, lassy?" she asks of Galiena. "Nasty teeth. Glad t'see ya avoided 'em."

She turns and simply nods at Xepil; he's just earned his way to a load of respect despite his race. But she won't overdo it either - no sense in letting it get to his head.

Her attention then turns back to the beast and its disappearance. Is there any of the oily, misty substance left? Or any blood from its wounds? "This how 't always leaves?" she questions of the watchmen gathered around.

"Graahahaha!!" Savage Hobgoblin laughter came from the watch tower as Xepil saw his last flaming atl-atl dart strike true and fell the beast. He waved his spear launcher down and gave a toothy grin to Rae when the dwarf nodded at him. Wow! Respect from a dwarf! That was definitely a first for the young Hobgoblin.

Running back from the catwalk he looked around to check on his companions. "Everyone alright!? Grrr."

Though his eyes eventually fell on the inky blackness that was left by the beast and his eyes widened in slightly panicked surprise. "Wait, where's the corpse?? Grrr! There's supposed to be a corpse! Grrr!"
Josh peers at the group of people and other creatures from the shadows of the wall. That hound is gone by the looks of it. I never did want to come out here either! he thinks.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus