Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

Six months escaping the Templars and his scholarship at the Circle had taught John an important lesson : pay attention to every detail. Anything could help to sneak around unseen, and a Demon like Hirot was fighting would surely be able to change shape. However, the raccoon noises coming from the tall grass made him sigh of relief - what kind of fierce enemy would change into such a small and powerless creature? Nevertheless, the lack of movement from the noises didn't make him feel safe, so he sheathed his dagger back but kept the Orb waiting in his hand, ready to be unleashed.

rolled 1d20 and got 4
Wisdom for Observation

Xepil wrote:
"My freaking eyes! Graaa!" Xepil said, still on the ground and shielding his eyes with his arm. "What was that thing?? Grraa! It was so pretty it freaking blinded me!! Grrr!" Though Xepil was very far removed from his Hobgoblin kin, his upbringing was just about the same as any other Hob and he was therefore very much not used to seeing fey of any kind. Having seen one for the first time seemed like it legitimately blinded the Hobgoblin momentarily, and he rubbed at his eyes, blinking, and slowly regaining his vision.

At first, Nysphina is livid to be addressed as little more than "that thing," her tiny fists curling taut as her wings flutter more rapidly than previous. She is more than ready to submit the Hobgoblin to the sort of verbal lashing only a fey heiress might give. But then, telling of her vanity, she smiles in hearing the supposed reason for his blindness. Any hostility ebbs from her as her fingers unfurl. "I am fey! My name is Nysphina, an envoy of the Petalgleam tasked with undoing this 'beast' all speak of - or the attempt, at least."

She turns to the dwarven woman, huffing a quiet sigh. "Oh, good. You're laughing. I didn't want to find myself crushed under one of your fists."
John Silvershield wrote:
Six months escaping the Templars and his scholarship at the Circle had taught John an important lesson : pay attention to every detail. Anything could help to sneak around unseen, and a Demon like Hirot was fighting would surely be able to change shape. However, the raccoon noises coming from the tall grass made him sigh of relief - what kind of fierce enemy would change into such a small and powerless creature? Nevertheless, the lack of movement from the noises didn't make him feel safe, so he sheathed his dagger back but kept the Orb waiting in his hand, ready to be unleashed.

The trickery had worked! At least this is what Guile could perceive from the slight snick of a weapon being slid into its scabbard. Sliding around the bush, he sped out from under the growth, attempting to make the last few feet to the wall at a dash, before attempting to clamber up and free-climb the walls. While incredible sounding, it was an act he had done on many occasions and came second nature to a being of his particular state.
The GM (played by Juls) Topic Starter

"Just a ring tail," Naven says dismissively. "I'll let Byram know, maybe he can set a trap for it 'fore it makes off with any of the hens."

But then gets back to John's question, admiration in his voice for the group he'd had the honor of fighting alongside just a short while before. "A stout group of warriors. They stood fast against the beast this very night and defeated it before it could claim a life. Though little doubt it'll come back tomorrow night."

He sighed. It was difficult to keep holding out hope that a way to defeat the beast for good would be found.

Even Lloré cracked a smile as the hobgoblin seemed to recover from his shock.

"A pretty little fairy is quite a site... to give a warrior quite a fright!" he half-sings to the dwarf, but keeps his voice lowered, not wishing to antagonize the fearsome hobgoblin warrior.

"That one up there is just made of wood," he explained then, pointing up at the replica of Ulfheonar's spear. "I'd bet the real one's buried with him. But that place is haunted."
The movement from the bush where the raccoon noises had come and Naven's answer made John feel secure; he dismissed the Orb and, as Naven told him of the group's might, he looked to the stars to know how much time was left before dawn. Since the moon was already up and he had an important task ahead, he decided to let the guard on his watch and go sleeping: "Well, that would mean we're safe enough to sleep for now. I'm getting most tired, so if that doesn't bother you, I'll set my camp near the gates until dawn."
Xepil (played by MordosKull)

Fortunately for the Bard it didn't look like Xepil had caught that little pun at his expense. It was unlikely that Xepil would let his baser Hobgoblin instincts get a hold of him and try to kill and eat the guy, but he might have still tried to punch him.

Either way, the Hobgoblin stood up, rubbing at his eyes that were still watering a bit. He focused a bit more on the fairy as his eyes got accustomed to her... prettiness. It still was painful to stare at her, like looking directly at strong light. Fey seemed to be anathema for him.

As she made her intentions clear however, Xepil scoffed. "Grrr, this beast must be quite something if even the Fey want a piece of it."

Then came a shrug, clearly not caring one bit for Nysphina's haughtiness. "Fine, whatever, grrrr... I'm already working with a dwarf, might as well jump off the deep end and work for the Fey too."

"I called dibs on it though, grr!" Xepil said suddenly, wiggling an accusing finger to the fairy. "So I'm calling the shots in this hunt. That means no funny business, ya got it ya little fruit-fly! Grrr!" The Hobgoblin also seems to be under the impression that he's the leader of this little expedition.
Rae winks at the Fey's relief. "Aye, that's the best laugh I had in awhile! Thank'ee for that, li'l miss."

Her eyes narrow a bit in Xepil's direction. She drains her cup and brings it down on the table while standing up. "Dibs, eh? An' callin' the shots? I think ya got another thing comin' there, hobby boy! Dona go gettin' yahr britches too big yahrself. Now, we got some things ta sleep on? Meet here at daybreak? Ya think ya could join us here in the mornin' then?" Her last question was directed to Lloré. "Like ta get yahr thoughts on a few more things."

After his answer, she'll head up to bed.

The bard's eyes widened slightly at Rae's request. He was surprised, but also delighted to asked to join them. "If there's any way I can assist, I would be glad of it," he promised and his eyes drifted briefly to the lovely Morgan Haverson, already back to working the bar with her father. "I owe you a great deal."

As the night grows late some villagers sprawl out on pallets in the common room. Others make their way upstairs to rooms. None seem ready to brave the night despite the fact the Hound was vanquished for the night.

"Sin! Hirot's sin has brought judgement. Repent of your wicked ways and return to the arms of Justicia!" the booming voice of a man with a thin face and a hawkish nose heralded the dawn. Feather Beacom stood in the town square adjacent to the Wolf Spear Inn, shouting to anyone who would listen (and anyone who wouldn't) about how the world was ending and the hound was retribution for the village's sins. Two acolytes accompanied him. Both are silent and are whipping themselves in penance for their sins.

Galiena, who'd risen early for her own morning prayers, looked out toward the priest, frowning slightly. Her own deity was aligned with Justicia, but she could not bring herself to adopt the priest's outlook on the beast. Surely there must be a way to defeat it for more than a single night!

And not far away, the gates of Hirot are unbarred and pushed open. "I've sent word to the Jarl that you'd like an audience, though haven't gotten a response yet," Naven said to John, before heading off to find his own bed for the next few hours, then paused and pointed down the main road. "If you're looking for a hot breakfast, the Wolf Spear's usually open already."

Hirot Map

2bdslf.jpg

Indignantly did Xepil turned to look at Rae when she questioned the veracity of his leadership position. "Excuse me!?? Grrr!" He pointed at her with his atlatl. "Last time I checked, I'm the one coming up with plans to hunt this beast down, while you just wanna get drunk and flirt with the freaking bard! Grrr!!" And speaking of flirting, Xepil all but nearly pulled out his own hair when Rae invited Lloré to join them. "Seriously!!? Ya wanna bring the musician too!!? GRAAA!!" He screamed into his hands. "I give up, I'm going to bed, grrrr, screw you guys."

The Next Day.

Xepil was awoken by the cries of zealots whipping themselves in the village square. "SHUT UP!!!!!" The Hobgoblin opened the window to his room and screamed down at them, having half a mind to shoot them with his atlatl, give them a real reason to scream. "Stupid crazy ass humans, grrrr.. I swear.." He mumbled angrily and put his armor back on, brushed his razor sharp fangs, and got some light breakfast plus coffee from his own supplies, he didn't much trust the quality of these human food.

Once prepared he stepped back down, stretching a little and twirling his axe around ready to go. "Okay kiddos, who's ready to hunt an oversized wolf? Grrrhehhe.." The Hobgoblin licked the blade of his axe trying to look intimidating, but of course, being freezing cold that meant his tongue ended up getting stuck on the metal. "Uh oh..gaaa af sffuuk!!"
John woke up after a rather peaceful night. Seeing the gates have been opened, he packs his belongings and prepared to enter Hirot. As he leaves, Naven indicates him the local tavern.
"Alright! Have a nice day, Naven, and thanks for all!"
Upping entering the town, the first thing he remarks is the massive house in front of him - probably the townhall. The sun is still barely to be seen, and few people are on the streets. And there it is! A large inn, with a wolf as emblem - the promise of a good breakfast to John's eyes. As he is about to enter, someone begins shouting from the town square about the end of the world and how Hirot should repent, making John wonder whether the village was truly desperate or home to the stupidest fanatics. Anyways, he had no time to answer as they were answered by an even louder shout telling them to shut up, quickly followed by a window being slammed closed.
"Well, better get going." John said to himself, as he entered the tavern unbothered. Not many people were up: only a few playing dice in a corner, and the others drinking and eating.
"Good day. A rare steak and a bottle of wine please." John told the innkeeper after having found an empty, almost clean table.
Rae waves her hand dismissively at Xepil's demonstrations of frustration. "Ignore 'im," she says to the bard, "Hobgoblin brains ain't too large, ya know." Then she thanks Bull for the hospitality and heads up to a bed for the night.
_____

She rises before sun-up and prepares for the day.

Downstairs, she orders a roast and potatoes and a mug of ale for breakfast. Initially, none of the party from the previous night are in the dining area. An interesting looking fellow sits a few tables away with his steak and wine. She hopes to see the bard soon with the hopes that he might be able to lead them - or at least give them directions - first to the tomb.
The wine's flavor is delicate and better than anything John had drunken since a long time. As he empties a few glasses, a dwarf in full armor set comes down the stairs and orders breakfast. The quality armor she is wearing leaves no doubt on her identity: she must part of the group that fought the Hound. John finishes his meal, and approaches her.
"Am I right to assume part of the group that vanquished the Hound last night?"

Josh yawned and stretched as he entered the common room. He didn't often get such a treat as sleeping in an actual bed. He had only a small pile of rags and one fairly warm, but flea infested blanket that he could call his own over at the Three Rats.

He glanced away out of habit when he saw the dwarf and the newcomer, but couldn't help casting sideways glances at John. The man looked like some kind of noble or something to the underfed and dirty youth. When John got up to talk to the dwarf, Josh saunters a little closer to see if the man's left anything... either on his plate, in his glass, or even, though he hardly dared hope, an unattended coin purse...

Probably luckily for him, Xepil comes in then, swinging his axe around and any ideas about thievery go by the wayside, at least for the moment. "Uh...." he says, as the hobgoblin gets his tongue stuck, then offers "I'll get some warm water..." and hurries off to where Bull is making more breakfast, perhaps hoping to get in Xepil's good graces.
Rae gives the man a wry grin as she answers, "I s'pose that depends on whether ya think that's a good claim or not! Name's Rae. Rae Stonebottom. And, yes, one o' several what put the hound t'flight yesternight." As Xepil makes an appearance, she adds, "Though maybe not if ya ask the hob-gob there - seems t'think he done the job all by 'imself. Might let 'im 'ave a go at it alone next time..." Her eyes travel down to the still-blood-stained shoulder of her blouse and armor. "Whot's yahr business with the hound,... eh...?" She falters a bit at the end of her question as she realizes he never gave her his name.
"Well, giving the town more time to prepare defenses for the next night seems quite good from any point of view, don't you think? The what thinks he did most of the job?" John looks around surprised, and indeed he hadn't even remarked the goblin in his hurry to eat. "Is it... I mean, is he pacifist towards humans or did you cast a spell on it? As for my business with the Hound, it's fairly simple. I swore an oath that obliges me to fight off demons and hostile magical creatures, thus I must make sure it is dead or banished from our world at least." Although he thinks Rae has, like most dwarves he had met until now, a sense of honor and an interest in glory, he has no proof of this and prefers to hide his real objective for now. "Forgive my manners, I nearly forgot to present myself. I'm John Silvershield, from the Eastern Marches, mage by oath and training."

Despite his current predicament of his tongue being stuck to a freezing axe blade, Xepil finds himself capable of laughing when the wayward wizard wonders aloud if he might be a pacifist.

"Hah! Ah aheceskk, geh, agh ell ee ah heakin ay, geeeh." (A pacifist, me, that'll be the freaking day, grrr)

He begins to speak in tongue stuckenese and goes to roll his eyes at Rae, her dislike for the Hobgoblin's braggart nature not enough to dour his crazed humor.

"Oee, omegogey eez gukeeh an ughual. Eeg ger arg oihren greagh ukh wihh u aghea? Geeeh." (Oi, someone's grumpier than usual. Did yer bard boyfriend break up with you already? Grrr.)

The Hob then continues trying to pull his tongue free of the axe whilst waiting for Josh to come back with the warm water. Why he's the perfect picture of a competent hunter right now. The people of Hirot have nothing to fear in the hands of this skilled warrior...

As if on cue, Lloré opens up the tavern's door and steps into the common area, the priest's constant shouts following him in until he shuts the door behind him. "Father Beacom's on a roll already this morning," he says with a shake of his head, but smiled toward the dwarf, seeming in a good mood. And if one looked close, they might notice a bit of lipstick on the young man's cheek.

His eyes shift to the ridiculous site of the hobgoblin stuck to his axe.

"Breakfast?" the bard asked with a smirk, but stayed well out of reach, just in case.

Josh hurried back with a mug of warm water and handed it to the hobgoblin. "Here," he mumbled.
"Don't rilly know what 'is deal is. Ain't no spell o' mine! An' I can't say as I completely trust 'im neither." She scowls in the hobgoblin's direction as she quietly (at least for a dwarf) answers John Silvershield (a good sounding name, she thinks).

"Right. We'll all be 'appy takin' orders from 'at," she grumbles sarcastically at Xepil. "Yahr an idiot o' the highest degree, I swear. An' quit treatin' that kid like 'e's yer slave - we need 'im on our side..."

Her face crinkles into a laugh as the bard greets the goblin. "Aye! B'hol' the mighty hob-gob warrior in all 'is glory! Come, sit. Have ya had yahr breakfast yet?" Without even waiting for an answer, she waves down a waiter. "Get whateveh, 's on me. This one," she jabs her thumb toward Xepil just as Josh brought the warm water.

"Ahh, ya shoulda left 'im like 'e was. I liked 'im better that way!"

"Any way, I was sayin'," she turns back to the bard, "He wants t' gae hunt this beast this mornin', but I think we ought ta poke about a bit in that ol' tomb first. Ken ya take us there? Or give us clear directions ta find it ourselves? If ya'd ruther stay 'ere."
"You're playing to take the Hound down, and wish to explore ruins in an attempt to, I suppose, acquire a relic to aid us in the fight? May I ask who is from your party? And should we not at first study what the Hound possibly is, and get the Jarl to send knights with us, at least footmen?" John's education taught him more than asking an infinite amount of questions, but the lack of organization both in this adventurer party and in the town is clearly annoying him.
(((If Josh wishes to try and steal from John's unattended meal, the bottle is still half full - or empty - and he left a coin as a tip next to his plate)))

Xepil glares daggers Lloré as he once against makes fun of him when he's in a vulnerable position. The Hob passes up on retaliation for now as he's eager to get his tongue unstuck, he takes to the warm water quickly and pours it down the blade of his axe. After a few more tugging, he is finally released of his own sticky trap and can talk freely once again. "Thanks kid, grrr." Why he even has the good sense to thank Josh before setting the plate down and glare daggers at Rae. "I ain't treating nobody as a slave! Grrr!" Apparently the insinuation striking a nerve in Xepil as Hobs are well known for being slavers, and it's quite certain Xepil is trying to distance himself from the stereotype as much as he can. "It's called doing someone a favor, grrrr, dunno if they teach ya that one at the dwarf mines, grrrr!"

As he speaks, he catches wind that Rae is intending to go visit the tomb and Xepil nearly launches himself at her and John and Lloré, crashing over some chairs and tables. "NOOO!! Are you freaking kiddin' me!!? Grrr! You wanna go to a stinkin' tomb instead of the Hound's lair!!? We're gonna miss our chance to slay it! Grrrr! If we let another day pass it's gonna be round two against that thing, and now it's gonna go straight for us instead of the guards, grrrr!!"

The Hobgoblin pauses momentarily when the alleged wizard then mentions that the Jarl should be sending warriors to aid them in their quest. He blinks, then blinks twice, and then he bursts out in hyena like laughter. "GRAAHAHAHA!! Look at this nerd!! Grahaha!! He thinks the Jarl is gonna send 'knights' to help us out! GRAHAHAHA!!"

"Yeah, uh, can we get some siege onagers and some trebuchets while we're on that? GRAHAHAH!!"

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Doom of the Savage Kings

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus