Skip to main content

Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Frequently Suggested Suggestions

AnaisdeLuxxx

I keep missing forum replies to me, so I wanted to suggest the @username notification. I was just about to post my topic, when I decided to search and see if it has been suggested before. Spoiler: it has. ;)

So now, my new suggestion is to create something sticky for Frequently Suggested Suggestions! Like a list of suggestions that have been made before, so people can see them at a glance. I had a free afternoon, so I made the sample below. (Er, some of these aren't really frequently suggested, I just found them interesting. Many of them are great reads, and Kim explains things really well.)

Or another idea! Frequently suggested items can each have their separate sticky topic pinned to the top, so people can just add to the ongoing discussion on that suggestion instead of creating new threads.

Anyway, I hope this list helps/informs/amuses someone! It was oddly fun making it.

If you've noticed other frequently suggested suggestions, please add them in a comment below!
VaHvSyP.png
FREQUENTLY SUGGESTED SUGGESTIONS
waZPj9l.png

"Be alerted when someone quotes you in a forum"
STATUS: 🎲 No, but notifications through @username mentions might someday be possible. See below.
THREAD: (Oct 2013) Suggestion: Be alerted when someone 'quotes' you?

"Be notified when someone mentions your @username"
COMMENT: Related to the above
Kim wrote:
That said, this is one of those "future fantasy" features that I'm making no promises about. My list of "critically need" is just so long right now! I also cringe to think about the confusion our character system would cause with this feature. People will just about immediately complain they can't @ reply at anonymous characters to give them a heads up they are being talked about, for example.
Kim wrote:
I've looked at @ replies before. The long and short of it is that they are on my list, but quite low down; the complexity is enormously high given that a single person can have multiple identities (characters) and that multiple characters owned by totally different people can all have the same name, and character names can be changed at any time.
THREAD: (Aug 2016) Small Forum Suggestions
Kim wrote:
We actually haven't implemented this yet, although it's definitely on my radar and on the features-to-be-added list. It turns out to be quite complicated, given that a single user can have multiple characters, and multiple characters on the site can have identically the same name. A lot of interfaces need to be created for selecting who you actually mean without it being an onerous process. Ideally, it would be a lot like Facebook's @ feature, where when you start typing a name it immediately offers a dropdown of suggestions for people with that name.

I'd also like to offer some controls to people over who can @ them, such as "only let people I have friended @ me" or similar.
THREAD: (Oct 2017) Notify players mentioned in forum posts

"Be able to save drafts"
COMMENT: Personally, I just have a private group that I dump everything into. So if I need to save something and work on it later, I can just go and do that without fear that anyone will see it.
THREAD: (Dec 2016) Forum Signatures/Post Drafts?
THREAD: (Apr 2018) Drafts
THREAD: (Jun 2018) Draft System!
THREAD: (Sep 2018) Saving Drafts?

"Make a mobile app for the site"
STATUS: ⛔ No, needs several versions for different platforms and we only have one Kim
THREAD: (Mar 2015) Apps?
THREAD: (Sep 2016) An app for rpr
THREAD: (Sep 2016) need this as a app

"Implement stricter age verification"
STATUS: ⛔ No, not practical at this time. Just use due diligence
THREAD: (Jan 2018) Age verification badges
THREAD: (Oct 2018) A proper age confirmation

"Create a new Marketplace board"
COMMENT: A couple of people have suggested a separate forum where people can offer commissions, services, etc. that might not necessarily fit into the Art and Creativity board
THREAD: (May 2018) A forum for people selling stuff?
THREAD: (Oct 2018) Marketplace Board?

"Add a 'Lovers' option to connections"
THREAD: (Jul 2016) Connections/Relationships Widget
THREAD: (Mar 2018) Adding a lovers option to connections
THREAD: (Jan 2018) Other connect+ options?

"Add more free character slots"
STATUS: ⛔ No, because housing extra characters costs bandwidth
THREAD: (Feb 2018) Character Slot Freebie Day?
THREAD: (Apr 2018) more character slots that you don't have to buy

"Let players see their profile analytics"
COMMENT: Some users might want to see how many "hits" their characters get in order to see how much interest the profiles generate, etc.
Kim wrote:
I have often toyed with ideas like this, both for characters and for groups. Not THAT long ago we exposed more user account data to the account owner, and people seem to be continually fascinated by their own basic stats.

For the other ideas in here and privacy concerns, it's very unlikely we'd start providing super specific analytics data about individual viewership habits.
THREAD: (Nov 2017) profile analytics

"Let users see if someone has already read their PM or topic"
COMMENT: Like the "Seen" notification in Facebook. I personally wouldn't want this, but I can see other people being curious about it since it's a common feature elsewhere
THREAD: (Oct 2017) A read notification
THREAD: (Jan 2018) A way to see who saw your Topic

"Allow forum signatures"
STATUS: ⛔ No, difficult to police and will wreak havoc on UI

"Allow foreign symbols in titles, page names, and character names"
THREAD: (Mar 2017) Accented Character Names
THREAD: (Oct 2017) Foreign Language Letters

"Quote multiple posts at once"
COMMENT: I was going to suggest this too, but it looks like it would be too complicated
STATUS: ⛔ No, too much programming work to save only a small amount of the user's time
THREAD: (Oct 2011) Quote multiple posts at once

"Create a new adults-only board for discussion and sharing"
COMMENT: I would have been interested in something like this too, and I can foresee the question coming up again
STATUS: ⛔ No, everything on the public site should be PG-13
THREAD: (Oct 2017) Adult Sharing

"Create a Romance genre slider"
COMMENT: In addition to the magic, technology, and combat sliders that could be toggled when creating or looking for RP, add one for romance too. I would looove this one. Please do this someday. <3
THREAD: (May 2018) Romance Genre Slider?

"Create an option to separate smut RPs from RPs with adult themes that are not sexual"
COMMENT: Can be related to the above
THREAD: (Jan 2018) LFRP - AO Non-Sexual Themes Button

oIAsGeU.png
You did your homework and this looks as though it took a lot of time and effort which makes linking this page a wee bit painful.

It's a bit hidden and you do have to go lookong for it, but this page lists potential features and where they lie on the importance scale, as it where.

I will say though, you did a fantastic job. I adore the layout and how it brings attention to these topics once more to show that they might be a little more urgency (for lack of a better word) to them. :)
AnaisdeLuxxx Topic Starter

Demilicious wrote:
You did your homework and this looks as though it took a lot of time and effort which makes linking this page a wee bit painful.

It's a bit hidden and you do have to go lookong for it, but this page lists potential features and where they lie on the importance scale, as it where.

I will say though, you did a fantastic job. I adore the layout and how it brings attention to these topics once more to show that they might be a little more urgency (for lack of a better word) to them. :)

Hey Demi, it's fine! <3 I made this more for the new-ish folks like me who're just about to ask for the same thing for the hundredth time. I was hoping to give us newbies something easy to see on the top of the page. XD

I did actually find that development page while I was making this, but I think Kim mentioned that she took it out of commission since it was hard to update. Thanks for linking it though! I was wondering whether I should link it myself, since it has such awesome features (like upvoting an idea!) I decided not to since it was older, but I'm now glad you mentioned it. ;)

And I do agree that a few of these suggestions deserve more attention and urgency. Like the Romance slider! Burning, passionate, throbbing urgency! XD Kidding, kidding.
I'm simply replying to tell you that that last part- oh! You have me in stitches, Darling. That was beautiful. ❤ Thank you. And thank you for this post. :)

Well, my dear, it was an... opening too apt to resist. ;D

Okay, okay, I'll stop with the bad puns.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Excellent post. I really like the idea of a RPR app. I still wish they would come up with lifetime epicness. Thank you putting this all together.
convo

AnaisdeLuxxx wrote:
I keep missing forum replies to me, so I wanted to suggest the @username notification. I was just about to post my topic, when I decided to search and see if it has been suggested before. Spoiler: it has. ;)

So now, my new suggestion is to create something sticky for Frequently Suggested Suggestions! Like a list of suggestions that have been made before, so people can see them at a glance. I had a free afternoon, so I made the sample below. (Er, some of these aren't really frequently suggested, I just found them interesting. Many of them are great reads, and Kim explains things really well.)

Or another idea! Frequently suggested items can each have their separate sticky topic pinned to the top, so people can just add to the ongoing discussion on that suggestion instead of creating new threads.

Anyway, I hope this list helps/informs/amuses someone! It was oddly fun making it.

If you've noticed other frequently suggested suggestions, please add them in a comment below!
VaHvSyP.png
FREQUENTLY SUGGESTED SUGGESTIONS
waZPj9l.png

"Be alerted when someone quotes you in a forum"
STATUS: 🎲 No, but notifications through @username mentions might someday be possible. See below.

"Be notified when someone mentions your @username"
COMMENT: Related to the above
Kim wrote:
That said, this is one of those "future fantasy" features that I'm making no promises about. My list of "critically need" is just so long right now! I also cringe to think about the confusion our character system would cause with this feature. People will just about immediately complain they can't @ reply at anonymous characters to give them a heads up they are being talked about, for example.
Kim wrote:
I've looked at @ replies before. The long and short of it is that they are on my list, but quite low down; the complexity is enormously high given that a single person can have multiple identities (characters) and that multiple characters owned by totally different people can all have the same name, and character names can be changed at any time.
THREAD: (Aug 2016) Small Forum Suggestions
Kim wrote:
We actually haven't implemented this yet, although it's definitely on my radar and on the features-to-be-added list. It turns out to be quite complicated, given that a single user can have multiple characters, and multiple characters on the site can have identically the same name. A lot of interfaces need to be created for selecting who you actually mean without it being an onerous process. Ideally, it would be a lot like Facebook's @ feature, where when you start typing a name it immediately offers a dropdown of suggestions for people with that name.

I'd also like to offer some controls to people over who can @ them, such as "only let people I have friended @ me" or similar.
THREAD: (Oct 2017) Notify players mentioned in forum posts

"Be able to save drafts"
COMMENT: Personally, I just have a private group that I dump everything into. So if I need to save something and work on it later, I can just go and do that without fear that anyone will see it.
THREAD: (Apr 2018) Drafts
THREAD: (Jun 2018) Draft System!
THREAD: (Sep 2018) Saving Drafts?

"Make a mobile app for the site"
STATUS: ⛔ No, needs several versions for different platforms and we only have one Kim
THREAD: (Mar 2015) Apps?
THREAD: (Sep 2016) An app for rpr
THREAD: (Sep 2016) need this as a app

"Implement stricter age verification"
STATUS: ⛔ No, not practical at this time. Just use due diligence
THREAD: (Jan 2018) Age verification badges
THREAD: (Oct 2018) A proper age confirmation

"Create a new Marketplace board"
COMMENT: A couple of people have suggested a separate forum where people can offer commissions, services, etc. that might not necessarily fit into the Art and Creativity board
THREAD: (May 2018) A forum for people selling stuff?
THREAD: (Oct 2018) Marketplace Board?

"Add a 'Lovers' option to connections"
THREAD: (Jul 2016) Connections/Relationships Widget
THREAD: (Mar 2018) Adding a lovers option to connections
THREAD: (Jan 2018) Other connect+ options?

"Add more free character slots"
STATUS: ⛔ No, because housing extra characters costs bandwidth
THREAD: (Feb 2018) Character Slot Freebie Day?
THREAD: (Apr 2018) more character slots that you don't have to buy

"Let players see their profile analytics"
COMMENT: Some users might want to see how many "hits" their characters get in order to see how much interest the profiles generate, etc.
Kim wrote:
I have often toyed with ideas like this, both for characters and for groups. Not THAT long ago we exposed more user account data to the account owner, and people seem to be continually fascinated by their own basic stats.

For the other ideas in here and privacy concerns, it's very unlikely we'd start providing super specific analytics data about individual viewership habits.
THREAD: (Nov 2017) profile analytics

"Let users see if someone has already read their PM or topic"
COMMENT: Like the "Seen" notification in Facebook. I personally wouldn't want this, but I can see other people being curious about it since it's a common feature elsewhere
THREAD: (Oct 2017) A read notification
THREAD: (Jan 2018) A way to see who saw your Topic

"Allow forum signatures"
STATUS: ⛔ No, difficult to police and will wreak havoc on UI

"Allow foreign symbols in titles, page names, and character names"
THREAD: (Mar 2017) Accented Character Names
THREAD: (Oct 2017) Foreign Language Letters

"Quote multiple posts at once"
COMMENT: I was going to suggest this too, but it looks like it would be too complicated
STATUS: ⛔ No, too much programming work to save only a small amount of the user's time
THREAD: (Oct 2011) Quote multiple posts at once

"Create a new adults-only board for discussion and sharing"
COMMENT: I would have been interested in something like this too, and I can foresee the question coming up again
STATUS: ⛔ No, everything on the public site should be PG-13
THREAD: (Oct 2017) Adult Sharing

"Create a Romance genre slider"
COMMENT: In addition to the magic, technology, and combat sliders that could be toggled when creating or looking for RP, add one for romance too. I would looove this one. Please do this someday. <3
THREAD: (May 2018) Romance Genre Slider?

"Create an option to separate smut RPs from RPs with adult themes that are not sexual"
COMMENT: Can be related to the above
THREAD: (Jan 2018) LFRP - AO Non-Sexual Themes Button

oIAsGeU.png

I also want to second what everyone said on here: This is an amazing post! Amazing you created all this is one afternoon, you've got skills!
Wow, you did a really great job on the list. This would be helpful as a pinned post for sure.
:)
Rogue-Scribe

That's a pretty good listing! Thanks for the updates and all the hard work!

SexySultryBabe wrote:
Excellent post. I really like the idea of a RPR app. I still wish they would come up with lifetime epicness. Thank you putting this all together.
Abigail_Austin wrote:
I also want to second what everyone said on here: This is an amazing post! Amazing you created all this is one afternoon, you've got skills!
damnationfromafar wrote:
Wow, you did a really great job on the list. This would be helpful as a pinned post for sure.
:)
Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
That's a pretty good listing! Thanks for the updates and all the hard work!

Thank you so much, all of you! <3
Wow, man, I don't even words to express my appreciation for the time and dedication it must have taken to build a post like that. Much kudos, as I definitely approve of a topic like this!

Subtleknifewielder wrote:
Wow, man, I don't even words to express my appreciation for the time and dedication it must have taken to build a post like that. Much kudos, as I definitely approve of a topic like this!

Oh wow, thank you so much for the kudos--it's my very first one! I'm glad you found this little thread helpful, and I really appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback. Really brightened my day! ^_^
AnaisdeLuxxx wrote:
Subtleknifewielder wrote:

Oh wow, thank you so much for the kudos--it's my very first one! I'm glad you found this little thread helpful, and I really appreciate you taking the time to leave feedback. Really brightened my day! ^_^
It was no trouble at all, I felt it was the least I could do, as I felt the amount of work you put into this deserves some recognition. Glad to make your day just a little brighter! ^_^
Kim Site Admin

I'm late to the party on this, but: This rules.

You are on: Forums » Suggestions & Development Discussion » Frequently Suggested Suggestions

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus