Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Bookbinding (presently closed)

Thirgud (played by Waldo)

Thirgud is still around, but not likely to do much while he works away at his bed post. Eventually he manages to work lose a nail and slip it into his pocket. With that he would bide his time and rest. Maybe give the tea a taste. But mainly try to ignore the hangover.
Jack (played by DoogieMeowser)

As the father calmed his daughter's protest, Jack's chest tightened and he swallowed dryly. Well, that looked suspiciously like guilt. His eyes ping-ponged between them and studied Auralia before landing on Tom to listen. She looked so young now, like a frightened child, teary-eyed and all. He probably would have looked away from her regardless, a gloom in his eyes.

Confusion soon distorted Jack's features when he looked at Auralia, as if trying to decipher what she was. Did her father say she was a Fae? She came from the Fae... She didn't look all that magical, though neither did Fyonae. He wondered what a magical, powerful being looked like. Then he wondered if she would affect his curse, only for a second, excitement mingling with caution.

No. No, Jack. You know not to mess with the Fae.

All of this ran through his mind in a moment, though he looked unexpectedly defeated. All of these strange things stemmed from the blonde beauty after all. Too good to be true, that's all it was. He stared at Auralia now, who's eyes he couldn't meet, as she looked up to Fyonae. When he followed her gaze to the wolf-woman, a slow realization made his eyes wander the room in thought.

The voice, it chose them for a reason. Something they all had in common; They were all aberrations! So thought Jack, anyway. Which made him look at Glenn, countless possibilities running through his head of what he could be. What was different about ol' Glenn. He couldn't ask him outright, he supposed. When the man in question spoke, Jack was startled out of his thoughts and blinked his dry eyes, wondering how long it had been since he did blink.

"I'm not sure we can count on a voice that nobody truly knows about," he started, glancing at everyone. "Maybe we should do what that old drunk suggested."

His tone sounded almost accusatory as he felt a momentary resentment for Auralia, his hypocrisy surfacing again. He felt lied to and though he was doing the same about his own oddities, he felt this was different. His eyes lingered on her face before he asked,

"What do you think?"

She didn't appear to be in the mood for talking strategy, but Jack felt she knew more than she was letting on. She had heard the voice just like the rest of them, he would bet some coin on it.
Auralia (played by VampireDwarf) Topic Starter

The second guard returned rather hurriedly to the keep and had a quick conversation with the other before hurrying away once again. The guard left inside gives Thirgud a glance before removing the hulking set of keys from the wall and walking toward the cell. His manner at least is less jarring than that of the one who brought breakfast.

"Well, mister, looks like you're in luck - you'll be free to go soon. Captain Thenley says extra troops are due within the hour, and they'll be taking you and some woodsy lass up into the mountains to warn her folk. Says she spoke real well of ya, so you'd best be on your best behavior... They're bringing a cart round just now. Ah, at least you ate something." He almost seems anxious to keep the silence at bay as he unlocks and opens the cell door. "We can wait outside for the cart."

Unfortunately for Thirgud, the sun is none too gentle this morning as it hovers just above the horizon.
_____

Auralia shakes her head at the questions being posed in her direction before responding quietly and haltingly, "I - I don't know... I w-wish I did." She lifts her head with pleading, searching, troubled eyes. "But, you must believe me, I - I don't even know what's going on... or, or when, or how, or why." A shaking hand reaches to her forehead. "I'd help if I knew how, but I just wish it would go away - that it never happened in, in the first place."
Fyonae (played anonymously)

((Sorry I will post soon. Been busy and tired lately!))

((No problem! I mostly posted for Thirgud's sake. Take care of yourself!))

The guards actually gave him some good news as he lazed on his uncomfortable cot. He pushed himself up. "Oh joy of joys. I get to leave the watchful eyes of the guards in the barracks to enjoy the watchful eyes of the guards in the woods. How can ever repay you for the news? Shall I sing your praises to the gods that they might make the dragon swallow you quicker than others?" His commentary continued during the entire walk through the keep. Upon exiting the barracks he raised his good hand over his eyes, practically hissing as the light blinded him. "Damn bright out..."

He leaned against the wall and let out a deep sigh. "Its almost commendable how you lot follow orders even when there's a beast well beyond your abilities to slay poised to burn everything you've ever known. Taking care of the trivial things must give some comfort in those times before death." He grinned at the guards. "You think, what you're feeling is akin to what a criminal feels on his last meal? Just going through the motions of something so ordinary when they know this day is anything but." He shrugged. "Suppose we'll know in the land of the dead when discussing our days with those you executed. Think they'll be happy to see you?"

((Lol in case it wasn't already obvious ol' Thirgud clearly doesn't like being told to be a good boy and will make you face your own mortality as revenge))

((Oh my word, I love it!))

The guard stammers and tries to interrupt the half-mad drunkard's speech, which was exactly what he'd been trying to avoid in the first place. He tries, unsuccessfully, to break in multiple times with, "I me...," "Oh, no, not...," "I don't...," "That's not...," and so on. He breathes a heavy sigh of relief as they enter the courtyard and find the cart almost prepared. The captain nods at the guard as he finishes giving orders to some of Cullan's troops.

"I believe we'll be ready to head into the village in a few minutes," the guard informs Thirgud after the man stops for a breath.

Captain Thenley approaches and addresses the drunk, "Well, I see you have your feet about you this morning - hopefully your wits as well. Our neighbors in Birchwood have agreed to help us rout this evil from our land. Apparently you spoke to one of the ladies from the mountain yesternight about a weapon to bring down a dragon? I cannot say I have any great faith in such a weapon. However! Seeing as the Birchwood men will accompany her to warn her folk, I have decided to allow your presence as well." Then he leans in closely over Thirgud's shoulder and whispers, "But should you give those soldiers any reason to doubt your motives, they have my order to contain the threat by any means or force necessary." He straightens back up and adds with a grin, "Have a nice day!" before turning on his heel and walking off to oversee the departure toward the village.

Thirgud is loaded into a cart, and he and enough troops to relieve those stationed in the village and at the road overnight begin the descent toward Aspenlee.

((Came down sick, so you might have to post around me again unfortunately. Can't even think until I kick this a bit.))

((:( Oh no! That's miserable. Hope you get to feeling better soon though.))
Glenn (played by Juls)

Auralia wrote:
"I'd help if I knew how, but I just wish it would go away - that it never happened in, in the first place."

"My pa used to say something about wishin' in one hand and ... ", Glenn started to say at Auralia's rather helpless attitude. But he trailed off, realizing he wasn't in appropriate company for that comment.

Oblivious to Jack's suspicions toward him, Glenn scratched his head again, trying to remember the exact words the narrator had used and couldn't, for the life of him, remember it calling out Auralia herself to do anything.

...farm boy, drunk, and some travellers... Or something like that anyway. He'd bet his only copper coin that was himself, Thirgud, Fyonae and Jack. "You going home today?" he asked Fyonae. "I think we best find the drunk and then all stick together..." he suggested, fully ready to follow any perceived instructions from the mysterious voice.

Once past the shock of Tom's revelation concerning Auralia, Fyonae felt a warmth spread through her, brightening her eyes and bringing a becoming flush to her cheeks. One would think she was delighted to hear the news. Hoping they'd all chalk it up to her thinking Auralia could help save the town from another dragon escapade, Fyonae revelled in the feel of being near another oddity like herself - well... not exactly like herself, but, close enough. A feeling of unbidden kinship bloomed within her for the other woman then and as Auralia caught her gaze Fyonae was at her side in an instant.

"Do not be fearin' now." Was there an unnatural gleam in her eyes? Had they narrowed into feral angles? Careful Fyonae. She took a deep breath and any odd flicker was gone. "People who fear what they dunna ken, are foolish. They miss out on so many opportunities, their scope is so narrow. Stand tall. If ya mean only good, then ya can be proud of what ya are." Standing she offered another reassuring smile before glancing across at Jack briefly. She wished when she'd changed, that someone had been there to tell her such things. Her father would have, but he was gone. Eventually she'd found her own sort of peace, which had helped tremendously in gaining control.

When Glenn spoke she blinked out of her thoughts and smiled at him, her pink lips curving slowly at the corners. It seemed almost a sad smile. "Honestly.. I had hoped ta go warn them yesterday, but the captain would'na let me leave the town. I hope the dragon left them alone." Who knew where the beast had made its lair? Her clan was close to the base of the mountain, not easily found unless one knew the way, but a dragon in flight might easily spot them...

The extra color had long gone from her cheeks, the brightness dimming some as she thought of her family. Despite the tensions surrounding her when she was there, she wished them only well. "Tis a good idea Glenn, better together than alone. Now that breakfast is done, perhaps we should go find the Captain?" She thought briefly about Thirgud, and wondered how he'd fared, being locked away. For some strange reason, she found she had developed a soft spot for the crusty man. She had a penchant for soft spots it seemed. She sighed inwardly, wondering how she had changed from the girl who just loved being alone.

"Auralia..." Fyonae ventured quietly as she looked back to the women from where she now stood by Glenn. "Why dunna we hear the strange voice now?"

((Apologies in advance if I missed something. Still getting my brain back XD))

Was surprisingly silent as the Captain spoke, but he had an grin that seemed to highlight his sharp canines as though the old drunk were some kind of animal poised to strike. Even at the whispered threat Thirgud was quiet until he was taken towards the cart. Suddenly his expression changed and he looked genuinely surprised, almost horrified. "Oh bloody 'ell were you talking?! I saw your face and just glazed over. It was like watching a man read poetry about his own greatness while carving a statue of himself. It was so breathtaking I just didn't know how to react." He called back and then glanced around. "You boys saw that right? He's gonna go into the keep now and stare at himself in the mirror, you know that right?"

As he was loaded in by the stoic guards his eyes widened for the first time in the sun. "By the gods, does he make you lads draw little pictures of him with big muscles and flowing hair? Or does he simply force you to give daily reminders of his greatness? Should I be scared? How much power does the great, honorable, beautiful, tough and beloved guard captain have?! I've met my match!" He called out as he was hauled away in a cart. His good hand reached through the bars and offered a polite wave to the captain. "Bye-bye wondrous Captain and dragon slayer! Woops!" He cried out with a laugh before settling into the wagon. "Come on lads, let's get a sing song going." And he repeated last night's little ditty. The group would hear him singing long before they arrived. The noise of the cart and his own singing helped cover the minor sound of a nail being used in an attempt to pick his manacles. Even if he succeeded he would keep them on for now.

((Lol apologies if that was a bit crude. Been playing some sassy characters lately in more R-rated rps))

(( well i thoroughly enjoyed it lol ))

Jack sank when Auralia pleaded with them, briefly closing his eyes to try and hard swallow his own issues with trust. They all seemed so genuine, didn't they? Just like her.

****ing magic, he would think as his eyes darted to Fyonae who now spoke.

He couldn't help but feel she was taking a sideways jab at him on one part in particular and she only solidified that fact when she glanced at him, causing his brows to fall in a fitting look of empathy. He looked to the floor, away from her, then up to Auralia to gauge her reaction to Fyonae's strengthening speech.

He had looked to Glenn at the sound of him and a brow raised as the lad suggested they not only do as the drunk said, but bring him alone. He shrugged it off and looked to the others, studying them before giving both the Fae-touched and the wolf a look of earnest belief that they were all together now. He would trust them, for now and as much as he could, on their journey to slay a dragon.

((Welcome back, Breezy! Hope you're feeling much better.
Waldo, I'm not concerned about it - don't worry about editing it. But I'm thinking that maybe keeping it a little more PG would be wise since this is a public forum ;) ))
_____

Auralia sighs and nods, perhaps still a bit worriedly, at Fyonae. But she eventually smiles at the woman and brushes away her tears.

"I cannot say," she replies when asked why the voice isn't currently speaking. "I didn't even know it was happening until Glenn mentioned it last night... I wonder if there would be a way for me to tell...? Would you, could you tell me if it returns? Maybe I could hear or feel it if I knew."

(She'll follow along if the group decides to go looking for Thirgud - as long as they want her anyway...)
_____

When the guards and Thirgud reach the village center, there are a few people gathered up and seated about on the benches. The hermit from across the river is there, as well as the senile old woman who talks to the birds. There's also a few young boys, known for causing any of the infrequent ruckuses that would happen around Aspenlee. Captain Thenley himself rides in just a few minutes later and just in time to hail the soldiers arriving from Birchwood.

((Waldo, go ahead and roll a d20 on picking the lock, just to see what happens. Would Thirgud have any previous skill in that?))

((So sorry missed that last reply lol Thirgud probably has some experience attempting to escape manacles and has a good bit of knowledge about their inner workings since he likely has helped craft them.))

((Lol but apparently he is too hungover to access any of that knowledge))

rolled 1d20 and got 3

Glenn (played by Juls)

Fyonae had barely finished her suggestion to go find the captain when Glenn nodded and took half a step toward the door before he realized the others weren't actually ready to leave just yet. Fyonae herself was asking Auralia another question.

He wasn't entirely convinced bringing the changeling girl along with them was actually a good idea. After all, whether she intended any of it or not, how could the appearance of the dragon NOT be tied in some way to her... if not a fae creature herself, then one with strong ties to the tricksters. Did they really want to invite that kind of chaos to them? Of course, he then worried, he didn't wish for that same chaos to come back to Aspenlee and maybe hurt the folks here while they were gone.

"I'll tell ya iffn I hear it 'gain," he agreed. "Whaddaya think we need? Food for a couple days maybe?" These questions he directed more at Fyonae and Jack since they were both travelers. "Weapons?" Not that he owned a weapon, but figured maybe he could fetch the axe he used to chop wood for Aunt Dotta.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Bookbinding (presently closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus