Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Bookbinding (presently closed)

Fyonae (played anonymously)

"Tis my name, yes." She wondered how Thirgud had gotten her own name, having few connection in the town. It wasn't something she cared to spend thought on at the moment though so she just offered a smile, dipping her head in acknowledgement of the gruff thanks. "Of course. I think any idea of merrit deserves a chance.

Moving away from Thirgud, not yet spotting the captain of the gaurd she'd spoken to previously, Fyonae moved back toward the center of the square where the gentleman who'd introduced himself earlier as Jack was conversing with Glenn. Following their gazes to where Auralia was offering food, she raised an eyebrow, wondering if the pretty woman was the subject of their conversation, which wouldn't be surprising to her. Having complimented her on her own name, Fyonae thought Jack to perhaps be either a shameless charmer, or a gentleman, though it never did her well to judge a person too quickly.

Upon approcaching them once more, she cleared her throat softly, her bare feet coming to a stop near the two. Sweeping her gaze between them, Fyonae released a soft breath. "Gads, the night seems as if it'll be a long one eh?" Her voice was light, as if she were trying to convince herself she still had enough energy to last.

"Have either of you seen the Lord's captain? Or the Lord himself for that matter. It seems that Thirgud has an idea he thinks could fell the dragon, 'an he wants to get to work on it."
Auralia (played by VampireDwarf) Topic Starter

Auralia had planned on finding Fyonae and inquiring whether she needed a place to stay, but the red-haired lass seems to be busy when Auralia first sees her and only waves quickly. Glenn, however, is also close by, and she weaves her way through the crowd in his direction. Somehow, she misses the fact that he and the other young man are actually conversing about her and only arrives about the same time as Fyonae.

"Have either of you seen the Lord's captain?..."

"Oh! He was over...," Auralia stands on her tiptoes and glances around at the crowd but can't immediately see him. "I think it was over by the inn that I saw him."

Just at that time, that same voice as before forces its way back into the minds of Fyonae, Glenn, and even Jack. "And so we meet our unlikely heroes. Now, you, dear reader, may rightly say that there is nothing extraordinary within the farm boy, the drunk, and a few travelers, but extraordinary people are only ordinary people in extraordinary situations." Only Fyonae can hear what sounds eerily similar to a book being closed, and then the voice is silent.

Auralia continues to address Fyonae without a pause, "Will you still be needing a place to sleep tonight?"
Jack (played by DoogieMeowser)

Jack had nodded when Glenn told him what he knew of Auralia, while staring earnestly at the woman with eyes full of wonder. Now that was a beautiful name. So thought Jack anyway, with utmost sincerity. He didn't much care for the part about her father. Father's always got in the way when it came to daughters. It was an immediate afterthought, thinking about the intricacies of courting a lady. He quickly remembered his precarious situation and did his best to shrug the whole thing off.

You know what else gets in the way? Jack thought to himself. Sprouting a goddamn donkey's ass.

What Glenn had been saying about the dragon surfaced into Jack's preoccupied mind and he had to backtrack to actually understand.

"You said it turned into a dragon?" He started, staring up at him sharply. "From a lizard? That is strange."

Jack agreed with him as he turned his eyes away to ponder it. He had heard many a story about the beasts, even had a run-in with one, yet he hadn't heard of a lizard turning into a dragon. His thoughts were disrupted by Fyonae, then Auralia who approached them just behind her. This made his heart skip a beat, as if someone famous had graced them, and he straightened up without thinking. Chest out, shoulders back, head high; A regular dandy. Any thoughts of dragons were, temporarily, put to rest.

He only cast the ginger haired lass a sympathetic smile in response to the night, as he knew what a pair of tired eyes looked like. He was sure he had them too, dark and sunken. He rubbed his face with a hand when he thought about his appearance then winced when he absentmindedly went to adjust his wardrobe and pulled at the hood on his chest. It had stuck to the burn as it blistered and now he would have to rip the fabric off. He left it alone, passing off his grimace by stretching his jaw.

"Great idea!" He replied to Fyonae, a shit-eating grin revealing off-white teeth and showcasing his sarcasm. "Let's do as the town drunk says."

His eyes flicked up to Glenn's for a moment, in a 'you know what I'm talking about, buddy' sort of way. He had heard the lad earlier and gathered that he didn't like the other man much. Jack had nothing against the guy, he didn't know him, though heeding the words of a man in that state? If anyone here knew him, they could rightfully call him a hypocrite. Although, he never found himself in the stockades.

"Evening, Miss! I'm Jack." He introduced himself to Auralia and offered a gloved hand, palm up to carefully take her's if she allowed it.

He would exchange his pleasantries if she exchanged her's and put on his most award-winning smile. Though the smile vanished as his eyes popped open in alarm. A thick brow furrowed one side and he pressed one finger to his ear to try and settle the noise. He looked around for a source, for whoever was speaking, yet he already knew it was too odd to really be, well, real. If someone were to later ask him to put what had happened into words, it would take him years to even come close to an explanation.

This is it. I've lost it.

His thoughts layered the voice, though he could still understand. He thought briefly if this could be the witch who had cursed him before looking at the other three. He tried to seem normal and calm, yet... Did he see Fyonae and Glenn acting strange too?

When Auralia had continued speaking, unfazed by any voices, it made Jack feel that he was losing his mind all-the-more. He couldn't hear what she said to Fyonae and blinked a few times to try and rid himself of whatever it was.

The voice subsided and Jack looked to them again, waiting for Fyonae to respond to Auralia so he could have some context clues. He would be going over what had happened and what the voice had said to him with a frantic tongue behind his teeth.

Don't look like a fool, Jack. Don't look like a crazy, delirious fool.
Thirgud (played by Waldo)

The drunk began to struggle with his chains once more seeming ready to leave any moment even though Fyonae had returned to the couple of men she had been chatting with earlier. The severity of his grimace grew as he studied the faces of her small group. As his impatience grew he grasped the chain of his manacles with his good hand and began trying to somehow wrench his bad hand free. His eyes continually shifted between his work, the group and the nearby guards who were distracted by the endless questions of locals. He silently and unsuccessfully continued his work while the others spoke only pausing when the "charmer" who had been staring at the blonde suddenly seemed to have a distant, unfocused expression. The drunk's work was slowed as he took note of any other strange actions by the group.

At Jack's snide comment on the town drunk, Fyonae tilted her head, knowing the feeling but thinking the idea had merit no matter who it had come from. Her green eyes were curious, having taken note of the grimace before he tried to cover the action, but made no comment as she turned slightly to include Auralia as the young woman joined the group. Fyonae gave her a smile, then glanced over the crowd, also scanning for the captain. Spotting the man off to one side, presumably overseeing the gathering of townsfolk, Fyonae pointed with a nod. Upon hearing Auralia's question she hesitated before heading to talk to the man, worry crossing her face once again as she considered staying the night and the delayed warning that meant to her clan. There was no help for it though, so she flashed a grateful smile. "Yes an' I thank you and your da. My own room at the inn is better suited for those who 'ave no other offer."

It seemed no sooner had she finished speaking, than that same foreboding narration resumed in her mind, causing her to pause, lips still agape for a moment. Then as she noticed Jack's odd reaction she raised an eyebrow, glancing at Glenn and Auralia too. Perhaps they were all 'hearing' it? Then as the book 'clicked' closed she blinked. Did that herald something, then? Her rosy pink lips pressed into a firm line and determination flickered into her gaze. She didn't miss Thirgud's frantic striving against his manacles, and it reminded her she had a job to do. But first..

"It seems som'un 'ants us to do something. The voice I know at least a few of ye heard named.. well all of us really. Even 'im" Fyonae gestured to Thirgud. Her brogue thick, her vowels drawn longer, "Not that I want to do what some crazy voice in 'mah head is sayin' -to be part of that, but people, my people, need help. So I'll be doin' what I can. Drunk or no drunk."

With that she gave a decisive nod at the group, then turned to move toward the town lord's captain, catching his eye as she drew near. If he gave her a moment, she would proceed to explain what Thirgud had said, pointing at the man himself as she did so, ending with the fact that her clan had some obsidian already partially worked.

Auralia did graciously accept Jack's hand in greeting when it was offered and offered back a friendly smile and nod of her own. "Auralia. Pleased to meet you," she replied and then turned her attention back to the others.

When Fyonae mentions something about someone seeming to want them to do something, Auralia looks a bit confused. As the other woman walks away, she asks with grave concern, "Did she say voice? In her head? I don't... Do you think she's quite well? Perhaps the shock of the day?"
_____

Thenley is surrounded by three others when Fyonae first approaches, but he dispatches of their needs relatively quickly and turns his attention to her. He listens quietly to her words and groans at the mention of the old, drunken blacksmith. He allows her to finish, however, and scratches at the back of his neck before answering. "He's mighty sloshed, miss, but I can't say it's a terrible idea. As long as the beast doesn't return before daybreak, I'm planning to set out to your people in the morning. You are welcome and even requested to come. But I and my men can't be looking after a tipsy, belligerant fellow... He'll be spending the night up in the keep for his own safety once we have a few men to take him there."
Glenn (played by Juls)

"...may rightly say that there is nothing extraordinary within the farm boy..."

For the first time, Glenn got the feeling the voice was actually talking about him. And almost immediately felt rather offended on two fronts. First that the voice pointed out there was nothing extraordinary about him. Not that, besides his above average height, there really was anything, but it was still rather unpleasant to have someone else point that out. Whoever that still mysterious someone else might be.

And the second that the voice had referred to him as a boy. He'd turn 20 in the fall. Plenty old enough to be considered a man. He huffed.

"Did she say voice? In her head? I don't... Do you think she's quite well? Perhaps the shock of the day?" Auralia asked.

"I heard it too. Been hearin' it all day," Glenn admitted. Before he'd been afraid to say anything lest the others looked at him as if he was a bit touched in the head and poked fun at him for being simple. But now he jumped at the chance to come to Fyonae's defense. "Describin' the dragon and heroes... like it's... one of them traveling bards tellin' a story."

(( sorry i haven't posted, i've been in the process of moving and haven't gotten internet connected yet D:
i haven't forgotten about you guys!! going to try to post tonight :) ))

((No worries! Real life is more important anyway. :) Take your time; we'll still be here. Hope your move is going well! I'll be in the middle of that myself in a few weeks.))

(( that's awesome!! i love my new place :) first time living by myself :o

sorry i still haven't posted, it's been chaotic with moving and unpacking and still no internet :(

thanks for the understanding! ))

((Hey, guys! I'm gonna go ahead and post a quick little blurb and hopefully get the ball rolling again. As far as I'm concerned, we can probably start wrapping up conversations and then jump ahead to morning.))
_____

Auralia practically gasps at Glenn's revelation and pauses for a few seconds to collect herself again. "Shh, don't say such things aloud! People will think you're crazy!" she insists in a whisper. She looks as if she might have something else more to say on the matter, but she shakes her head at herself and slams her jaw shut.

"That's the thing isn't it?" Fyonae asked after a moment. It wasn't that she felt any particular liking for Thirgud, but.."

"Do ya plan on keepin' 'im in the keep tomorra too? Jus for being drunk? There's a dragon on the loose.." she sighed, knowing she should mind her own business. "Maybe 'e should 'ave a chance ta fight too. Maybe it's the chance 'e needs ta turn 'imself around?" She shrugged then dipped a small bob resembling a curtsy. "In any case captain, I am at yer service when you go on the 'morrow."

With that, she would wait to see if Thenley had anything else he wanted to say before turning to rejoin the small groupe of "unlikely heros" Who was putting the words in her head? As she walked, Fyonae instinctively scanned the crowds, hoping for some sign.

((I'm game for a time jump whenever :) ))

Given time to sober up and remember his old skills, Thirgud might have been able to free himself from the stocks. However, a proper cell in a keep was a totally different beast. It seemed the drunk would simply have to wait out his sentence.

((Time jump is fine with me lol Thirgud is clearly not going anywhere anytime soon.))
Glenn (played by Juls)

Glenn's face flushed yet again when Auralia chastised him for what he said, which had been exactly what he'd been afraid of before and why he'd said nothing earlier. He looked down, abashed.

But then her actual words replayed in his head. She hadn't just said "you're crazy", but that people would think he was crazy and just not to talk about it out loud. But if he heard it and Fyonae had heard it, she'd probably experienced the same thing!

He brought his gaze back up to hers. "You heard it too, didn't you!" he accused.

((Ok by me to jump ahead.))

Now it's Auralia's turn to be embarrassed. She looks almost disappointed as she replies, "No, I haven't... but it's, uh... well, maybe you ought to talk with my da about it. But, please, shush about it out here in the open!" She pleads for his silence while quickly glancing around to see if any bystanders have noticed or perhaps had the same experience as Fyonae and Glenn.
_____

Thenley sighs again, the strain of the day obviously having taken its toll. "No, no, he won't be there for long - overnight anyway. And not for drunkenness, but for attempting to leave the village after strict orders to stay put - for all we know, he might be involved in the attack somehow... Look, I'll see what kind of shape he's in tomorrow. If he can make the trek without being a nuisance or distraction, I'll let him come along. Otherwise, he'll have to wait for any supplies to be brought back. I'm not even certain that he's even capable of creating this weapon he's boasting of."

After bidding Fyonae a good evening, he finds two of his men and gives them instruction to take the poor drunk to the keep. A few minutes after Fyonae leaves her conversation with Thenley, the two guards come to collect Thirgud. "Come on, old feller. It's off to the cells for you tonight. You can sleep it off up there." They load him onto a cart and start up the road toward Cullan's castle.

"The keep? Don't you mean the oven, lads? Gonna feel better once I'm well done will I?" Thirgud spoke to the guards with a vicious yet playful tone. In spite of this, he gladly accepted their help up and hopped in the cart. "Up for a singalong, boys?" He began singing a song commonly sung by drunks headed home but with an extra verse added.

"Drip, drop
It's time to stop
Another drink and
you'll sleep in the slop!

Drop, drip
Off you skip
You'll feel much better
With a nice long kip!

The drinks were swill
Write your will
A dragons coming
And it's coming to kill!"

He continued singing all the way up to the keep.

( i got wifi, babyyyyyy )

Jack wanted to lie, to agree with Auralia and say that anyone who heard voices in their head were as crazy as they were daft. He was partly afraid that he would get struck by lightning if he did, his past screaming at him to not agitate those strange forces beyond. In this hesitation, Glenn responded to Auralia, admitting his insanity, and the exchange between them was odd, to say the least.

The lady heard it too?

Jack looked to Fayonae, the lass halfway to the guard she was searching for. She hadn't given a rat's ass what any of them thought and Jack was almost envious of her. She had people she cared for, far more important than some higher being filling their heads with grandiose stories.

He blinked back to Glenn and Auralia, looking down at the girl as her face flushed rosy and her pleas hissed from thinned lips. Jack peered around at the townsfolk, more or less, minding their own and bustling about to help one another. He couldn't help but feel bigger than himself.

"Where is your father?" His accent was proper, well articulated and rich.

( that song was excellent )

( time jump away! )

((Lol thanks and welcome back! Glad the move went well!))

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Bookbinding (presently closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus