Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Bookbinding (presently closed)

Auralia (played by VampireDwarf) Topic Starter

The captain smiles somewhat grimly at Fyonae as he explains his plan for the day. "Morning, Miss. Hope you're rested. I know you want to inform your family and friends of the new danger today. I plan to send you and that old wretch," he indicates to Thirgud, "with a band of men from Birchwood. They will accompany you for safety's sake. I do not trust this drunkard and would suggest that you do your best to keep him in line. If not, well, the Birchwood soldiers have orders. Any questions?"
______

Auralia notices Fyonae's glance and takes a small step forward as if expecting to be beckoned. She seems a little confused when she's not, until Glenn and Jack inform her of return of the narration.

"Oh...," Auralia sighs before continuing, "What do I do?"
_____

The strange narration continues:

"A few faces peer from windows and doorways as the sleepy little village awakens to the new day. But sleepiness is not the usual comfortable, easygoing sleepiness; this day brings an achy, timid sort of sleepiness to quaint little Aspenlee.

"As the people of Aspenlee awaken, so too does their terrific foe in his cave far above in the mountains..."
Glenn (played by Juls)

Glenn shrugs helplessly to Auralia's question. "I dunno...," he said, not even sure exactly what he was supposed to do, let alone the fae-touched girl.

His face scrunches up slightly, eyes focusing on some point far away as he listens to the narration. "Says the foe... that must be the dragon ... is wakin' up. And he's in his cave up in the mountains."

((Does the narrator's voice sound male or female?))
Fyonae (played anonymously)

As Thirgood was mentioned, Fyonae flicked her gaze once more to the wild man, then back to Captain Thenley's face. "Seems clear enough." She said with a shrug. She had no idea if the plan would work or not, but in times like these one had to try something. as if in echo of her thoughts the faceless voice within her mind spoke of the dragon's awakening. "We need to make haste.." She said to the captain, her face set in serious calm. "And if I may.. I think you should try to think of a way to draw the dragon's attention, should it find its eye upon the town again soon. More destruction here would likely cripple the town beyond repair. The dragon may find us before we find it..." She worried for the sweet little town, and would do what she could to keep the dragon away.
Jack (played by DoogieMeowser)

Jack found himself peering about him when the voice spoke into him again, trying to notice people looking out of their windows. He tried to note the sleepiness as well, wondering if that were some kind of metaphor. He did feel a grogginess that he couldn't seem to shake off, though he had blamed it on Fyonae's medicinal tea. Though maybe that wasn't supposed to affect him, or any of them, at all. When the narration ended, he looked at Glenn just as he started speaking. He stared at him for moments after he had finished before he looked to Auralia.

"What can you do?"

He asked her pointedly, replying to her previous question. His question was more curious than judgmental as he wondered if her being Fae-touched meant she would have some magical power. Some ability she was hiding from them, again, or that maybe she didn't know about.

Whether or not Jack truly believed the voice, the warning about the dragon brought a chill to his veins while simultaneously lighting a fire under his ass. He walked swiftly to Fyonae and the guard, new panic firming up his tone.

"Good morn to you," he nodded his head at the guard and introduced his name before continuing. "Whatever we're going to be doing, I think we need to be doing it now."

He looked between them until his earnest eyes lingered on Fyonae's. He knew she had heard it too.
Thirgud (played by Waldo)

As the group merged and met with the Captain Thirgud could be seen in the distance, suddenly quite agitated as the voice rang out. By the end of the narration Thirgud had had enough. He had begun roaring at the hermit who was clearly lying about not hearing the voice. The old drunk was soon upon the man, smacking him around and screaming about the voice. He was clearly in no state for traveling and would be lucky if he lasted the night under the care of the already aggravated guards.

((Feel free to knock Thirgud out or drag him away kicking and screaming lol again my apologies for leaving and I had an awesome time with you guys))

(( hope to see you again some time, Waldo! you're a great and witty writer :)
i hope everything works out for you! ))
Peasants (played by Juls)

((Just FYI that I haven't gone anywhere despite Glenn being deleted. I needed another character slot, so aggregated a few of them together under this 'Peasants' character.))

((No problem! Thanks for the heads-up!

Also, apologies for my lack of posting recently... I just started up college courses and have been tending to forget all about RPR... I'll try to get a post up later today!))

((Well... the intention was there. Sorry, folks.))

What can she do? Auralia puzzles over the question when Jack poses it to her. Her talents mostly lie in making people feel welcome and comfortable, but those don't seem to her to be very adventageous to adventuring, slaying dragons, or solving mysteries.

"Uhhh.... I mean, animals generally like me, but I'm not sure I want to find out that dragons don't...."

As Jack joins Fyonae and Captain Thenley, the captain gives him a skeptical once-over. He glances between Jack and Fyonae before asking, "And you are...? What's your business..."

However, before he can finish his line of questioning, the old drunk suddenly turns completely mad and begins raving and lashing out at the old man. The captain immediately turns his attention to the uproar and begins barking out orders. Within a few minutes the drunk is well contained and only mumbling incoherently.
_________

The narration continues (in a male voice) only a short way into Thirgud's fit. It begins:

"The old, shackled drunk is helped down from the cart and qui...."

Strangely, each individual who has heard the voice can almost feel the scratch of a pen across the page. It halts as Thirgud's actions fail to agree with the narration. Fyonae, Jack, and Glenn can each feel the narrator's tension rise - almost like an inky blackness seeping into the very tiniest corners of their minds.

As Jack tried to meet her own gaze Fyonae would give him a subtle nod, knowing what had his stress ramped up a notch. She tilted her head at Jack then and addressed the captain. "He is alright, he 'elped during the fires yesterday an' he wants to help today, if that is alright. I dinna think you'd mind more hands on deck."

As the narrative seemed to screw up in their minds, Fyonae froze, her lips slightly agape and her brow would furrow a moment before she collected herself. That invasion of her own mind was beginning to get to her and the shadow which, she hoped, the others couldn't see would bristle it's fur, maw gaping in a silent growl as inwardly her own hairs pricked at the odd feeling of something seeping into the corner of her mind. She didn't like it. Spinning she turned and moved back toward Auralia without another word, her dress swishing about her legs as she moved, her eyes on the woman. When she drew closer, she tried to find a patch of shade or shadow to stand in, focusing on Auralia. "Look, I know it might be giving us clues, but, is there 'annaway for for you do stop this?" She wasn't sure she wouldn't lose it if it continued giving her such an odd feeling. Bad enough they had a dragon to contend with.
Peasants (played by Juls)

Unlike Fyonae and Jack, Glenn was beginning to have the opposite reaction to the voice. It seemed to be the only one who knew what was going on around here. It gave him something to figuratively grab a hold of. Maybe it was leading him into a trap, but at least it was leading him somewhere. Otherwise, he might have been prone to the same inaction as the rest of the villagers.

"What if it says somethin' 'portant?" he posed to Fyonae as non-confrontationally as possible.

Glenn turns his attention to Thirgud, his ill-opinion of the man as nothing more than a drunk seemingly confirmed by the ranting and attacking of the other prisoner. He felt his own tension rise along with the narrators.

"The captain ready or wut?" he asked.

At Auralia's answer about animals, Jack had only given her a look that said 'I give up' before he walked to Fyonae and the guard. After the narration went slightly awry and the feeling of rising tension sank in his gut, he had closed his eyes to refocus and straighten himself. Though when he opened them, he only saw Fyonae's shadow on the ground, a prickling, growling beast. His eyes widened immediately and he hurriedly followed the woman when she abruptly walked back to the others, stepping closely and awkwardly behind her in an attempt to hide the shape. Luckily the guard had started yapping about that old drunk and didn't notice anything odd.

When they reached the two, Jack would stand on whatever side of Fyonae her shadow laid, standing up straight for better coverage and acting cool as a cucumber as he did. Well, as much as he could despite their present circumstance. He looked between Glenn and Fyonae, trying not to so obviously look to where her shadow should be.

"Important?" Jack began, looking at Glenn now and surprised at his sudden alliance. "Are you really going to do whatever, some- Some voice tells you?"

He hissed the last part in a whisper, so as to not draw unwanted attention from passersby. He didn't know what to call whatever was speaking to them and he didn't want to give it a title either. He wasn't so fond of waltzing into his own grave because some higher power was playing a game with them. His eyes scanned around them briefly, making sure no one was looking at them, though he half hoped someone was looking at them. Someone that could be blamed for all this.

He ended that thought by looking down at Auralia.

Auralia shakes her head in response to Fyonae's question. "No. I wish I could. Would it be better for me to not be around?" She swallows hard and takes a deep breath to keep the tears from filling her eyes again. Jack's eyes bear down on her, and she can only glance his direction once before looking away.

Jack doesn't notice anyone paying particular attention to their little group when he looks around.
_____

Meanwhile, half a dozen guards start back up the hill with Thirgud. The angry and confused drunk has fortunately quieted down.

The narration is silent for a few moments, but not long enough. It soon begins again, "No, no, no! ... stupid fool... --- Try again...

"The old drunk quietly climbs down from the cart in the little village square..."

For the briefest of moments, the guards appear confused but then stop and turn toward the place they had just left. Thirgud, however, begins shouting almost incoherently and tries to lunge for the closest guard. The guards rapidly change course and start once again for the keep.

Again the narration stops. The pause is followed by an apparently angry thump, and then silence reigns.

Watching Jack's attempts to cover for her out of the corner of her eye, Fyonae couldn't help the soft smile that lifted the corners of her lips. Admirable of him.. But more and more lately she could feel the chained tensions within her building, which only made her long for the forest even more. She'd need to get out of town, and soon.

Focusing back on Auralia she'd emphatically shake her head. "Nay of course not." Laying a soft palm on the young woman's arm Fyonae would attempt to calm them both. "I'm sure it's nothing to be concerned about. We will figure it out and best the dragon." Her gaze would flicker then as the written word in her mind suddenly went quiet, leaving almost an empty buzzing for its absence. Did this all have to do with Thirgud? But how could it? Confusion slipped over her features and Fyonae would bite her lower lip as her gaze moved to Glenn, lingering a moment. "I think the Captain is ready. Are you all? I let him know I had 'elp coming along with me. He didn't seem thrilled at first but I think 'ell come around." Were they waiting for the lord? She'd fidget some with her dress as she'd await the signal to head out.

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » The Bookbinding (presently closed)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus