Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Coffee makes me sleepy. Am I the only one?

Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Sanne wrote:
One of the things coffee does is block adenosine from being used by the brain, and adenosine is what makes you tired. Your body doesn't stop producing adenosine though, so it builds up. Depending on the amount of coffee and how fast your body processes it, it's possible that it wears off fast for you. When it does, the adenosine that wasn't absorbed while the coffee was blocking the receptors suddenly gets dumped on you + the adenosine that was created after you drank coffee. That's the 'caffeine crash'. If you're sensitive to coffee, your crash will happen muuuch later than if you're not very sensitive at all.

If you add sugar to your coffee, you'll experience an insulin spike to deal with the sudden rise on blood sugar. This will also lead to a fast drop in blood sugar, which can be exhausting and make you want to sleep to preserve energy.

Add to this a lack of enough sleep, dehydration, 'heavy' foods and so forth, and it's not too surprising that you can crash hard from drinking coffee. :)

That thing about adenosine is really interesting to me, it made me look it up. With me, the sleepiness is almost immediate, and it was black coffee, but I did eat breakfast with it, so the heavy food thing could be a factor. But I've noticed it before, and thought how weird it is, so I still believe it's the coffee. I know I could test the theory by doing a controlled test but I don't think I have the motivation for all that. Lol. I've always got more curiousity than motivation. Lol.

Anyway, thanks for the input! It's so weird. I almost wonder if it's another chemical in the coffee doing it, because why wouldn't it happen with soda? Hm.

Novalyyn wrote:
Starwarsfan wrote:
The coffee thing is not a myth with ADHD
I have ADHD and I can't have coffee because it makes me to sleepy I have to have some kind of tea or something that's not caffeinated the reason why is BecuAse since the brain cells are a bit different in my brain due to ADHD the caffeine has a reverse affect
I also have ADHD. That why I've asked doctors about it.

Caffeine doesn't have the reverse effect on an ADHD brain. It just generally hits people differently, regardless of whether they have ADHD or not. (You can even note how many people responding are saying it makes them sleepy but who don't have ADHD.)

Similarly, stimulants in general, those that are used for treatment, aren't having a "reverse" effect on the ADHD brain. That's a common misinterpretation of what's actually happening, because on the outside, that's what it looks like. It's actually stimulating the specific parts of the brain that improve focus, control, and mindfulness though.

Edit: A side note: I have to be careful with caffeine because it messes with my anxiety. If I have too much in too short a time, I get a bunch of nervous energy with no way to actually release it. Didn't realize what was going on until a doctor told my mom she needed to avoid coffee (but soda is no issue) because it was giving her body (but not mind?) panic attacks. So... ADHD, but I have a pretty "normal" reaction to caffeine.

This made me attempt to look it up and I got more confused than before I looked it up.

I found an article that sounds like what your doctors said, which is that several studies found that caffeine did not cause a significant improvement over a placebo. He also lamented how small the groups studied were and how long ago and said he'd like to see more studies.

One guy's article about parents using caffeine to treat it and whether or not that's a sound decision

But then I searched to see if I could find anything recent about it and I found an advertisement for a study from Texas Tech on a .gov website from just May of last year.

ClinicalTrials .gov proposed study

They're trying to study the effects of caffeine and another chemical that's found in tea. So, if Texas Tech is still studying it, I figure the answer is, no one really knows. That's the answer to most of my scientific questions, so it's not suprising. I'm still waiting for someone to figure out for sure why we dream and why not getting enough REM sleep makes us paranoid. But--that's a question for another day!
Abigail_Austin wrote:
They're trying to study the effects of caffeine and another chemical that's found in tea. So, if Texas Tech is still studying it, I figure the answer is, no one really knows. That's the answer to most of my scientific questions, so it's not suprising. I'm still waiting for someone to figure out for sure why we dream and why not getting enough REM sleep makes us paranoid. But--that's a question for another day!
To be fair, ongoing studies happen even for things that are pretty much proven beyond a doubt, just to make sure the results hold out and there's not another explanation for something.

Also, soda has a lot less and sort-of different caffeine from coffee, and the heavy food thing is more of an amplifier, not necessarily a cause by itself.

Rounding back to the original topic: yes, coffee can make a person sleepy, and usually eventually will. ^^
Coffee makes me sleepy personally because it's a warm drink. Warm drinks tend to make me tired.

The caffeine also makes my heart beat quickly obviously which sparks anxiety sometimes.

I used to drink coffee a lot because I thought it was helping my migraines, but then after not drinking coffee for several weeks I figured out that coffee was actually the TRIGGER for my migraines. I used to have 4-5 migraines a week and constant headaches but since quitting coffee I have had one migraine in 6 months and my head usually only hurts slightly due to allergies or if I'm actually sick. (and my anxiety while trying to sleep is a lot better.)

damnationfromafar wrote:
Coffee makes me sleepy personally because it's a warm drink. Warm drinks tend to make me tired.

The caffeine also makes my heart beat quickly obviously which sparks anxiety sometimes.

I used to drink coffee a lot because I thought it was helping my migraines, but then after not drinking coffee for several weeks I figured out that coffee was actually the TRIGGER for my migraines. I used to have 4-5 migraines a week and constant headaches but since quitting coffee I have had one migraine in 6 months and my head usually only hurts slightly due to allergies or if I'm actually sick. (and my anxiety while trying to sleep is a lot better.)

Wow. That's a big difference. Makes me wonder about Sandra's migraines. She drinks lots of coffee. But she never seems to have them unless there's something stressful going on, or if she goes out when the sun is bright. Glad yours got so much better with the avoiding coffee fix. That's awesome!
While coffee doesn't make me sleepy, it has little to no affect on me anymore. Since I was a baby I've had coffee (my mom would put some in my bottle when I'd cry to have some), so at this point, coffee doesn't really do... anything for me anymore.

Also, I never get caffeine withdrawals, yay
psionicburst

Coffee, almost all caffeinated beverages to be honest, have a myriad of debuffs on my person ranging from the ever-glorious three hour nausea, to all day persistent vertigo, to name a few, but the effects become more noticeable with coffee and I'm not sure if it's in my head or what...
damnationfromafar wrote:

Isn't withdrawal great? Nah, I'm glad you got past it. Even many people who know that's exactly what's going on still refuse to give it up. Back when I worked in a tea shop, I remember one of our regulars being shocked (and I think a little annoyed?) that I don't have a caffeine addiction and don't have to deal with withdrawal all the time like she does. ^^;

So yay to you!
psionicburst wrote:
Coffee, almost all caffeinated beverages to be honest, have a myriad of debuffs on my person ranging from the ever-glorious three hour nausea, to all day persistent vertigo, to name a few, but the effects become more noticeable with coffee and I'm not sure if it's in my head or what...
That sucks. I mean, it's probably healthier to avoid it anyway, but I'm sorry it hits you so hard!
*raises hand with a giggle*

You aren't alone, I have the same issue~

I can drink high caffeine soda all day and not get sleepy but coffee knocks me out!
Novalyyn wrote:
damnationfromafar wrote:

Isn't withdrawal great? Nah, I'm glad you got past it. Even many people who know that's exactly what's going on still refuse to give it up. Back when I worked in a tea shop, I remember one of our regulars being shocked (and I think a little annoyed?) that I don't have a caffeine addiction and don't have to deal with withdrawal all the time like she does. ^^;

So yay to you!

Thanks! Yeah it was rough. I drink decaf coffee occasionally, and even that with it's low caffeine content gets to me if I drink it too late - but I've been sticking with tea lately - usually ginger or peppermint. I can't drink regular coffee AT ALL, not even because of the headaches but because if I do, well... I'm in the bathroom real quick and have a stomach ache the rest of the day and night.
In my experience, I've had an incredibly high caffeine intake which means an incredible tolerance for it.

While I've cut down this is still the case so I can fall asleep right after a cup of coffee.

Orrik_Zynn_x2 wrote:
*raises hand with a giggle*

You aren't alone, I have the same issue~

I can drink high caffeine soda all day and not get sleepy but coffee knocks me out!

Yay! I love people are weird in ways like me. :p

Fiebs wrote:
In my experience, I've had an incredibly high caffeine intake which means an incredible tolerance for it.

While I've cut down this is still the case so I can fall asleep right after a cup of coffee.

That makes sense.
Actually, this morning I read about how caffeine is actually a drug.
WolfieX45

I need coffee or monsters or I won't even be awake for more than 20mins after waking up at 7am..and well someones gotta get the kids up for school lol I need my caffine
Coffee makes me want to snuggle Tardis more.

TardisCatTwo wrote:
Actually, this morning I read about how caffeine is actually a drug.

Yeah, totally. The most commonly used drug in the world, I think.

Haha...but without it, I think the GDP in most countries would markedly drop because productivity would take a big hit! :p

WolfieX45 wrote:
I need coffee or monsters or I won't even be awake for more than 20mins after waking up at 7am..and well someones gotta get the kids up for school lol I need my caffine

Me too...but mine is Coke or Pepsi.

Suwako423 wrote:
Coffee makes me want to snuggle Tardis more.

Me too! Lol jk jk

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Coffee makes me sleepy. Am I the only one?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus