Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Coffee makes me sleepy. Am I the only one?

Abigail_Austin wrote:
TardisCatTwo wrote:
Actually, this morning I read about how caffeine is actually a drug.

Yeah, totally. The most commonly used drug in the world, I think.

Haha...but without it, I think the GDP in most countries would markedly drop because productivity would take a big hit! :p
I think it's second or third, actually... I think alcohol is at the top, and it's debatable whether caffeine or nicotine follows. Unfortunately, all the info I'm seeing is specific to the US and/or does not include numbers for those three.
Novalyyn wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
TardisCatTwo wrote:

Haha...but without it, I think the GDP in most countries would markedly drop because productivity would take a big hit! :p
I think it's second or third, actually... I think alcohol is at the top, and it's debatable whether caffeine or nicotine follows. Unfortunately, all the info I'm seeing is specific to the US and/or does not include numbers for those three.

Personally I'd have to say it's the top drug, ignoring studies and going on mostly common sense. Even more so than alcohol in my opinion.

Caffeine is in most of what we consume on a daily basis. Whether you're drinking soda, coffee (even decaf coffee has low traces of caffiene, it's not caffiene free), tea, an energy drink, or eating dark chocolate, you're using the drug caffeine in some manner. You can't really say the same thing for alcohol, and a lot of people smoke cigs or vape, but I'd have to say more people eat chocolate, drink soda/coffee/tea/energy drinks. Medications for menstrual cramps have caffeine in them, as do other pain relievers that I personally used to take on a regular basis and still do occasionally if my cramps are really bad. Several breakfast cereals, puddings, yogurts and ice cream have caffeine in them as well.

Even if someone smokes, they still probably eat and drink one or more things with caffiene in them, which probably adds up to way more caffiene use, and it's even easier to be unknowingly addicted to caffiene, or unknowingly eat or drink it. I thought diet soda was caffiene free untl literally weeks ago when someone casually heard me talk about how I can only drink diet soda because it doesn't have caffiene and they corrected me and told me, 'no, diet means it doesn't have sugar/low sugar' and I was shocked LOL.
TardisCatTwo wrote:
That is correct. As they say in the movie You've Got Mail, it's a legal addictive stimulant. XD
It's def an ADHD thing. I have it, and coffee will knock me right out. I mean...if I'm willingly trying to sleep. Energy drinks and tea mellow me out. It's not coffee itself, but the caffeine in it. You might have ADHD!
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

damnationfromafar wrote:
Novalyyn wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
TardisCatTwo wrote:

Personally I'd have to say it's the top drug, ignoring studies and going on mostly common sense. Even more so than alcohol in my opinion.

Caffeine is in most of what we consume on a daily basis. Whether you're drinking soda, coffee (even decaf coffee has low traces of caffiene, it's not caffiene free), tea, an energy drink, or eating dark chocolate, you're using the drug caffeine in some manner. You can't really say the same thing for alcohol, and a lot of people smoke cigs or vape, but I'd have to say more people eat chocolate, drink soda/coffee/tea/energy drinks. Medications for menstrual cramps have caffeine in them, as do other pain relievers that I personally used to take on a regular basis and still do occasionally if my cramps are really bad. Several breakfast cereals, puddings, yogurts and ice cream have caffeine in them as well.

Even if someone smokes, they still probably eat and drink one or more things with caffiene in them, which probably adds up to way more caffiene use, and it's even easier to be unknowingly addicted to caffiene, or unknowingly eat or drink it. I thought diet soda was caffiene free untl literally weeks ago when someone casually heard me talk about how I can only drink diet soda because it doesn't have caffiene and they corrected me and told me, 'no, diet means it doesn't have sugar/low sugar' and I was shocked LOL.

Oof! Girl...I drink Diet Pepsi when I need a pick me up! Glad you found out...so that way it won't keep you up at night or anything. I drink Diet soda, even though I think it tastes like insecticide smells (I really do), because 1) my dentist told me I have to if I wanna have any teeth left when I'm old, and 2) because I tried to go without soda and I can't do it. I crave carbonation (I've analyzed this, and I think the slight "pain" from the carbonation on my tongue set off a chain reactions of endorphins that I have not enough of naturally, or something), and mineral water just doesnt do it for some reason. I really should drink club soda though, it's just less easy to find and buy right away when you're thirsty.
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

damnationfromafar wrote:
Novalyyn wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
TardisCatTwo wrote:

And another thing about caffeine is humans always seem to find it, no matter where they are. I think it's interesting how it's a traditional Nigerian social thing to break open a kola nut and chew it together. Coffee, tea, kola, all the cultures find it hehe.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Coffee makes me sleepy. Am I the only one?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus