Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » (Closed. Thanks for the input)

Have you ever been watching a show, and then, all of a sudden, you hear a whole 5 paragraphs or so of words that you recognise because they came word for word from an roleplay that someone is was writing with you, and you thought it was original work?

And you complemented them, on those paragraphs in particular? And they accepted the complement, without saying anything about how the majority of the post was lifted right out of a TV show?

Has anything like this ever happened to you?

That's what just happened to me! And it makes me so angry!

But I've only been roleplaying for about a year. So I think it's only fair to ask.

I would like to know if this is a normal, acceptable thing to do in an RP, because I really don't know.

I don't think it is. It feels like plagarism, that's what is feels like -- taking credit for someone else's work.

But then again, I myself have photographs, which are "face claims," of famous actors that I use for my characters, and of course many people do that, although I have heard and seen on here in discussions that doing so is a controversial issue.

But it's generally acceptable in RPs, I've found. No one can deny that it's for the most part accepted in RP, even though, say, if you were publishing a college paper or a book, it would be different. So, there are some differences in the etticute of RP. Having face claims from internet pics is acceptable behavior.

HOWEVER -- I don't feel like that's the same thing, because everyone knows that I didn't take those pictures. None of my RP partners think I'm friends with Emma Watson or Collin Farrell and taking pictures of them, obviously. I'm not lying about them.

If someone complemented me on my amazing photography skills, I would say, "No, silly. That's a picture from the internet. That's Collin Farrell, a famous actor."

I wouldn't be like, "Oh, thank you! I'm so honored that you think so!"

To me, it's the same with writing skills. I'm not going to take credit for something that someone else has written!

Changing it from first person to third person and changing the names but keeping literally every other word does not make something your own writing. People know that, right? Right?

But maybe, in roleplaying, it is different. Maybe it's a thing people do, that is normal and accepted.

And maybe I just don't know about the expectations. So...I'm asking.

Is it different in roleplay? Is it normal? Is this a thing that I should expect to happen? Or should I be pissed off about this?

Is it possible that this person would genuinely think it's fine, and not even think I would be angry about it?

I would like to be able to give this person the benefit of the doubt.

If this is normal, it would allow me to not feel decieved by them.

But it would change how I think about roleplaying. I'll respect it less as an art, if this is common.

But regardless of the consequences--I want to know: is this a normal thing to do?

Is it overly strict of me to expect people to write their own characters' inner monologues and speeches themselves, or do people just Google scripts from shows they like and use that and it's a-ok and totally fine as long as it fits? (Ugh...I really hope that's not the answer. Yet in another way, I do, because I don't want to be mad. And yet, if it is, it makes me sick. Is that old-fashioned or overly strict of me or do I have a right to be put off by this?)

Thank you in advance for your time in answering.

😠

nightmqre

Putting the anger aspect of this aside, I don't think it's different. Maybe if they had warned in advance, one "Oh, I found this on a script for a TV show and thought it fit; so I've used it but I didn't write it originally!" Then ! maybe I would be able to accept that

But if they accepted the compliment and passed it off as their own, I could count that as plagiarism. It's taking someone else's work, changing the slightest things and then passing it off as your own, which is plagiarism.

Personally what I would do in this situation but you don't have to

Personally, I would first confront them about it. If they didn't admit it, then I would tell them immediately that I want to drop the roleplay with them and then discontinue roleplaying with them in the future. I don't like people who do this; because I've had it done to myself before.

If they did admit to it and apologised, I would say no hard feelings but would ask for them, in the future to avoid doing so or if they do, to say that it was not originally theirs. If from then on they do it again I would drop the roleplay and not roleplay with them again.
This has happened to me before, and it is kind of annoying to see. It's more understandable though if it's a cannon character. Normally when I put things in like that, or song lyrics, I'll write down in an OOC post the link to what it's from or just what it is in general. For face claims and such it is more normal, defenitely, but the words themselves? I don't think it is, or at least should be.
Wait...this is a thing that people do?

No. No no no no. I don’t like that at all. Quoting a show you like and saying it comes from there is one thing, but trying to pretend you came up with those words is plagiarism.

It’s like if somebody did a faceclaim, and then tried to say they took that photo or that it’s a photo of their own face.

And no, it’s not too much to expect someone to write their own part of the story. Roleplay is a creative hobby; you should be capable of coming up with your own words when you write.
Abigail_Austin Topic Starter

Thank you all. I did think it was normal! I just wanted to be sure. Thank you all very much.
That is 100% not normal seeming, like.... very weird and non-okay. I mean, we all make references or paraphrase iconic lines, I think, but copying entire large sections of text/dialogue? That's just.... lazy and disingenuous. Blech. >v< I know I'd be real ticked if I had that happen to me, so at least to me, your anger is justified.
Rogue-Scribe

Hmm.... I've used song lyrics and dialogue lines from movies and TV shows and books and such in RP, and more often than not hyperlink part of the text to the source. But five paragraphs, or even one paragraph copied word-for-word? That is lazy plagerism at worst and a bit over the top at best. Write it not copy it.
North-Wood

I would talk to the person about it. Personally I am fine with face claims and using poems and songs in an rp. Don't even have to say where you got it with me. If you wrote it personally, I would like to know so I can give ya a good comment. However stealing entire scenes and dialogs from a show is not ok.

From what I understand, it is lazy and a sign of a poor role player.
This is all in my opinion, but I do believe it is plagiarism. Any time you take someone's work and claim it as your own..it's plagiarism. I haven't had this done to me, but if I ever did notice something like that..I would point it out! Plagiarism is a type of stealing; therefore, it's a crime, so you'd want to let your partner know to at least credit the script writer to that movie/TV show.

Plagiarism has always reminded me of stealing art. It's basically the same thing except the things you are stealing are different. I haven't stolen art and claimed it as mine before. I simply credit the artist and/or leave the signature so people can see.

I made that comparison to make it a bit simpler. My conclusion is: it is plagiarism, which is a type of stealing. You have the right to be pissed off, as I do not think it is common..not for me, at least.

Thank you for reading all of this, and I hope it helped!

Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
Hmm.... I've used song lyrics and dialogue lines from movies and TV shows and books and such in RP, and more often than not hyperlink part of the text to the source. But five paragraphs, or even one paragraph copied word-for-word? That is lazy plagerism at worst and a bit over the top at best. Write it not copy it.

Thank you. And thank you for providing a balanced perspective.

Yeah, if it was something like, "Here's looking at you, kid," from Casa Blanca, where the characters both would know the reference, it would be different.

North-Wood wrote:
I would talk to the person about it. Personally I am fine with face claims and using poems and songs in an rp. Don't even have to say where you got it with me. If you wrote it personally, I would like to know so I can give ya a good comment. However stealing entire scenes and dialogs from a show is not ok.

Thanks for providing a balanced perspective. So, if someone included say, a song, in an RP, and didn't say one way or the other whether they wrote it, would that be considered okay?

Not claiming directly to have written it, but not denying that they wrote it, just politely accepting a compliment when you give it to them. I'm still trying to figure out whether this could be some kind of misunderstanding and I wish for it to be. I really don't want to talk to this person about it. I don't want it to mess things up.

Anyway, I'm interested in the answer to this but otherwise I'm gonna close the thread. I appreciate your perspectives. Thanks.

ALTY_Heave wrote:
This is all in my opinion, but I do believe it is plagiarism. Any time you take someone's work and claim it as your own..it's plagiarism. I haven't had this done to me, but if I ever did notice something like that..I would point it out! Plagiarism is a type of stealing; therefore, it's a crime, so you'd want to let your partner know to at least credit the script writer to that movie/TV show.

Plagiarism has always reminded me of stealing art. It's basically the same thing except the things you are stealing are different. I haven't stolen art and claimed it as mine before. I simply credit the artist and/or leave the signature so people can see.

I made that comparison to make it a bit simpler. My conclusion is: it is plagiarism, which is a type of stealing. You have the right to be pissed off, as I do not think it is common..not for me, at least.

Thank you for reading all of this, and I hope it helped!

Thank you. It does.

Crystaldragon126 wrote:
This has happened to me before, and it is kind of annoying to see. It's more understandable though if it's a cannon character. Normally when I put things in like that, or song lyrics, I'll write down in an OOC post the link to what it's from or just what it is in general. For face claims and such it is more normal, defenitely, but the words themselves? I don't think it is, or at least should be.

Thanks, CrystalDragon.

DazzlingDragon wrote:
Wait...this is a thing that people do?

No. No no no no. I don’t like that at all. Quoting a show you like and saying it comes from there is one thing, but trying to pretend you came up with those words is plagiarism.

It’s like if somebody did a faceclaim, and then tried to say they took that photo or that it’s a photo of their own face.

And no, it’s not too much to expect someone to write their own part of the story. Roleplay is a creative hobby; you should be capable of coming up with your own words when you write.

Thanks
North-Wood

Abigail_Austin wrote:
North-Wood wrote:

Thanks for providing a balanced perspective. So, if someone included say, a song, in an RP, and didn't say one way or the other whether they wrote it, would that be considered okay?

Not claiming directly to have written it, but not denying that they wrote it, just politely accepting a compliment when you give it to them. I'm still trying to figure out whether this could be some kind of misunderstanding and I wish for it to be. I really don't want to talk to this person about it. I don't want it to mess things up.

Anyway, I'm interested in the answer to this but otherwise I'm gonna close the thread. I appreciate your perspectives. Thanks.

Most songs you can tell if the rper wrote it or not. Maybe that's just me, but meh.

North-Wood wrote:
Abigail_Austin wrote:
North-Wood wrote:

Most songs you can tell if the rper wrote it or not. Maybe that's just me, but meh.

Haha, yeah. Thanks.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » (Closed. Thanks for the input)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus