Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Percentage of Music

Hello. I have genuine question to ask for anyone who is willing to participate. Today in my Art Appreciation class, the topic came up: What is the percentage of time, on average, that music is present in your life? This made everyone join in the discussion. The professor said it is impossible to have less than 15% present in one's life.

8 hours out of 24 is dedicated to sleep for me, and I am in class from 9:30 am to 2:30 pm with only three minutes free between each class. If I have wifi campus, I find myself listening to my playlists without fail. And even then; in the store, driving, or even walking on the track - it seems that music is always there in my life, in the distance.

So, I sum it up as 60 to 65% on weekdays, 75% on the weekends.

How much music do you listen to in your daily life?
LakotaSiouxWarrior

100% all the time as much as possible. Cept when I sleep. I bartend so they got a great jukebox in my car I got Sirus. I'm also a bass player who writes poems and songs.
If work allows it, I like to listen to music while in the prep phase of my shift, or if I'm in a dishroom as it helps the time pass to the pace of the music. I love to unwind to music while on a walk or just in a post work gaming cycle. Music is a wonderful phenomenon that can adjust our moods. There's a reason war drums and pop songs have a different pattern.
100 % 24/7! i listen to music while i do everything except shower. i do listen to music to fall asleep though.
Rogue-Scribe

Anywhere between 30% to 60% on weekends... maybe more. I use youtube a lot, and in the car I have a CD player and 3RrR 107.2 FM radio. My wife plays her dance music when she's rehersing, and at work the production line usually is playing some crap. So yeah.... maybe make that 50% to 80% You say I sleep and done hear music? I have musical dreams sometimes.
nightmqre

100%.

I listen to music to help me sleep, I listen to music in the car. I listen to it when I'm working, and I listen to it when I write RP responses. Even when I'm in class, I'm always either humming aloud or in my head.
I think I might be the anomaly...

Very little. In the car, maybe (although I mainly ride my scooter when commuting, so even that is rare). At work we don't have a radio licence and so we're not allowed to have that sort of background noise. At home... occasionally my partner puts music on... but I rarely stick around to listen.

I would seriously put me at very low percentages. Easily less than 15%... unless your professor is counting music you can't help but be subjected to (such as background music on TV adverts, YouTube, films, etc).

Don't get me wrong... I like music. I'm a fan of rock and metal... I guess I just don't really fuss about it as much as I used to in my teens.
If you were to ask about a friend of mine though... he's crazy for music. Rarely away from rock/metal gigs and festivals... always listening to music. I'd definitely say 100% part of his life.
I spend the majority of my day 80% or so with music and all of the night(my kittens won’t sleep without it)
I'd put it around 75%. Some days I listen to music almost my every waking hour, but other days I barely listen at all. Like today, I suspect I will only listen to music to and from work which is about thirty minutes total.
PenguinColada

I only listen to music in the car. On your average day, I spend 30 minutes driving.

Let's do the math.

(0.5 hrs / 24 hrs) x 100 = 2.08%.

I don't drive anywhere on the weekends. So. There are 52 weeks in a year. 7 days in a week. But 5 days out of the week are the ones I actually listen to music.

So.

52 x 5 = 260 out of 365 days in a year.

Let's go a little further.

260/365 = x/2.08

So (260 x 2.08) / 365 = 1.48%

Let's round that up to 1.5 because I like cleanliness.

I average about 1.5% of my life listening to music.

If I did my math wrong, feel free to correct me.
About 2 hours a day in the car, about 2-5 hours a day depending on whether we are watching a movie or show (because movies and shows almost ALWAYS have a musical score, we just don't always notice it, but I think that counts). Otherwise, no. I don't listen to it from my phone with earbuds like the young folks do. So I'd say 25%. Oh...but while sleeping.

Wait..

24 hours.

8 hours sleeping with music on
+ 2 hours driving to it
+ 2 hours on avg (let's say) per night watching shows
12 hours

12 hours / 24 hours = 0.5 x 100 = 50%.

I listen to music about 50% of the time.

Fun math moment on the RpR.
PenguinColada wrote:
I only listen to music in the car. On your average day, I spend 30 minutes driving.

Let's do the math.

I don't drive anywhere on the weekends. So. There are 52 weeks in a year. 7 days in a week. But 5 days out of the week are the ones I actually listen to music.

So.

260/365 = x/2.08

Haha I checked your math because it sounded like fun and I got the same answer you did. ;)

I went 52 weeks x 5 days = 260 music listening days per year

0.5 hours per day x 260 days = 130 music listening hours per year

365 days in a year x 24 hrs = 8760 total hours in a year

130 music listening hrs in a year ÷ 8760 total hrs in a year= .0148 x 100 = 1.48%

Rounding up gives 1.5%.

I think I went the long way around, without making an equation out of it, but yep. Yep. Math. <3
PenguinColada

Abigail_Austin wrote:
PenguinColada wrote:

Let's do the math.

So.

260/365 = x/2.08

Haha I checked your math because it sounded like fun and I got the same answer you did. ;)

I went 52 weeks x 5 days = 260 music listening days per year

0.5 hours per day x 260 days = 130 music listening hours per year

365 days in a year x 24 hrs = 8760 total hours in a year

130 music listening hrs in a year ÷ 8760 total hrs in a year= .0148 x 100 = 1.48%

Rounding up gives 1.5%.

I think I went the long way around, without making an equation out of it, but yep. Yep. Math. <3
Thanks for double-checking me! <3

It's been like..... Good lordt, almost a decade since I've been in a math class. I'm a little rusty, but I'm slowly getting back into it since I've returned to school.

Maybe I went the long way about it. Who knows. Either way, hey!

And I just noticed you literally calculated yours out, too. Amazing~

giphy.gif
I'm always either listening to music, sleeping, listening to a video, or talking to someone. Since the amount of time I spend listening to videos vs. listening to music vs. talking to someone varies every day its impossible to measure, but overall I probably listen to music a bit more often than listening to videos, and I dont talk to people that much, so probably roughly 50% or so of my awake time. (40% for videos, and the other 10% for talking to people). Since I sleep quite a bit, about 9 hours per day on average, I listen to music about 30% of the time overall.

And yeah I do listen to videos that much. I need something to keep my mind occupied at all times. No exceptions.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Percentage of Music

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus