Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Lack of Fandom RPers?

LittleMouse Topic Starter

Zelphyr wrote:
I just don't feel comfortable in an established setting. Feel like I lack knowledge even of the ones I'm decently familiar with, and I'm the sort to get irritable if I think someone is breaking cannon.

What's doubling up got to do with anything? If you mean playing more than one character, partners and I have done that plenty with just our own characters in our own worlds. And if you mean something else... what do you mean? ^^;
go back a page, I already explained it

And everyone here is already proving my points I already talked about...no one does it because no one likes it for one reason or a other
Mipps

LittleMouse wrote:
And everyone here is already proving my points I already talked about...no one does it because no one likes it for one reason or a other

Well cant be helped really. People like what they like. Everyone has a preference towards RP.
That doesn't mean there are not people out there willing to do it. I wouldn't be discouraged about it. You just gotta keep putting yourself out there. sometimes its how profiles are written and how ads are made that are the reason people get or don't get RP. I'd try some new approaches and see what happens :)

Mipps wrote:
LittleMouse wrote:

Well cant be helped really. People like what they like. Everyone has a preference towards RP.
That doesn't mean there are not people out there willing to do it. I wouldn't be discouraged about it. You just gotta keep putting yourself out there. sometimes its how profiles are written and how ads are made that are the reason people get or don't get RP. I'd try some new approaches and see what happens :)

I’ve tried everything, I tried both adult and general populous, I’ve tried just messaging people being like “hey! Wanna do ___?”
Rogue-Scribe

LittleMouse wrote:
Mipps wrote:
LittleMouse wrote:

I’ve tried everything, I tried both adult and general populous, I’ve tried just messaging people being like “hey! Wanna do ___?”

Maybe try having your character write an in-character guestbook entry to a character you find interesting. It gives them a taste of your writing style and can work as a starter. I’ve gotten my characters into some good RPs using this approach.

ShadowWeaver wrote:
LittleMouse wrote:
Mipps wrote:
LittleMouse wrote:

Maybe try having your character write an in-character guestbook entry to a character you find interesting. It gives them a taste of your writing style and can work as a starter. I’ve gotten my characters into some good RPs using this approach.

Maybe but that usually goes to ocxoc which is not what I’m looking for....
You can’t force people to write with you or write how you want if that’s not what they’re into, as people have their own styles.

Good luck in your continued searches.

Somnom wrote:
You can’t force people to write with you or write how you want if that’s not what they’re into as people have their own styles.

Good luck in your continued searches.

I understand that but isn’t the site for everyone? Everyone’s tastes and not a bias that leads to people who don’t fall in to favor of one or the other to feel alone, lonely and bored?
red-veins

site for everyone = /= everyone has to RP with everyone no matter their tastes.

people have their preferences, and they are free to write - or not - with who ever they want. there are plenty of fandom RPs here, but it just isn't RPR's niche. like others have said, sites such as tumblr or Amino have a much larger fanbase for what you're looking for. you can't force someone to write something they don't want to; how would you feel if i demanded that you write an original story with me?

it's also worth noting that if you refuse to take any of the steps that people have suggested to find stories suited for you, you're not going to find much success. people can't know that you're there and wanting a story unless you put yourself out there to be seen.
Kim Site Admin

A site being open and friendly to all comers is not the same as a site where people have no preferences at all. There's always going to be some people whose interests are relatively obscure relative to the whole population. However, you've already suggested a potential solution!

From your OP:
Quote:
but what’s the harm in stepping away to try something a little different?

If you have trouble finding people who will do the specific thing that you're in the mood for, one could ask the same of you! Perhaps try some other kinds of RP, or even fire up Netflix and watch some animes to expand your canon RP options.
Rogue-Scribe

A Bunch of Quotes
ShadowWeaver wrote:
LittleMouse wrote:
Mipps wrote:
LittleMouse wrote:

LittleMouse wrote:

Ok. Was just offering up a suggestion. Kim has a good suggestion there as well! Otherwise, good luck on finding something in the scope you have set out for yourself. :)

ShadowWeaver wrote:
A Bunch of Quotes
ShadowWeaver wrote:
LittleMouse wrote:
Mipps wrote:
LittleMouse wrote:

LittleMouse wrote:

Ok. Was just offering up a suggestion. Kim has a good suggestion there as well! Otherwise, good luck on finding something in the scope you have set out for yourself. :)

Yeah, but the Netflix idea wouldn’t work out, don’t have a Netflix, I’m kind of stuck to regular cable at the moment
LittleMouse wrote:
I understand that but isn’t the site for everyone? Everyone’s tastes and not a bias that leads to people who don’t fall in to favour of one or the other to feel alone, lonely and bored?

I wouldn't say preference is a bias. Like with most things in life, people who like certain things and those who don't fall into a certain percentile. For example - marmite. I HATE marmite with a passion, but the majority of people I know love it.

I'd say 30% of people I know hate it, and 70% love it. It's not them going out of their way to make me feel bad for hating it, people just have their own tastes and preferences that occur naturally over time, and sometimes they don't correspond with your own, making you fall into the lower percentile. Yes, this can feel a bit crappy, but it really can't be helped.

I have dabbled in the odd fandom roleplay every now and then, but I prefer making it oc x oc rather than doing oc x canon. This is just my personal preference, not a bias. It's something I've tried, tested and preferred in the end. While the percentile you're in may not be popular or in demand at the moment, there are people who enjoy it, it's just finding them. They just might not be on this site, or maybe not even looking for roleplays at the same time as you, they might have their hands full with other roleplays, and not able to take any new ones on.

And as the old saying goes "what's old can be made new again". Trends change, people change. While it may not be a high demand now, nothing's to say that won't change a week from now or a little way down the line. I also recommend trying some different websites, onces that focus on fandoms. DeviantArt is a site I use for my art and writing, however, there are roleplay groups specifically for people who enjoy fandom roleplays using canon character and oc pairings.

But at the end of the day, roleplaying does require some level of compromise, on both sides, in order to make things enjoyable for all parties concerned. Maybe getting to where you want to be, requires you to do oc x oc roleplays first, and incorporate oc x canon later on down the line once your partner becomes comfortable with the idea or gets used to your writing style? It might even mean doing a roleplay they'd like first, and then do what you're hoping for after, or vice versa.

I do realise I've rambled on a bit, so I do apologise, but I hope you're able to get some sense of comfort from this message. Please know, no one is attempting to make you feel alone, lonely and bored. There are people who do enjoy the same things as yourself, unfortunately, at this moment in time, there aren't many of them, which is why you're struggling to find them. Just keep in mind someone in the higher percentile might want to try and idea that no one wants to do, so you could offer them a compromise: I'll do this idea you want to try, if you're willing to do this idea I'd like to try.

Anyway, I'll cut the rambling now. I do wish you the best of luck.
@Kim

Just a quick thought, but maybe a forum specifically for fandom rps could be created on the update for RPR? I don't know if this is an idea you've already had or been presented with...
Seth

I have been RPing original content for over a decade now but not for lack of interest in fandom stuff, I would kill for a Silmarillion's Maedhros/Fingon RP any day. Where do I even find this people!? Most fandom RPs I see are one liners or have vastly different styles from my own, sadly, which makes interaction nearly impossible.

Seth wrote:
I have been RPing original content for over a decade now but not for lack of interest in fandom stuff, I would kill for a Silmarillion's Maedhros/Fingon RP anyway. Where do I even find this people!? Most fandom RPs I see are one liners or have vastly different styles from my own, sadly, which makes interaction nearly impossible.

ShadowWeaver does Tolkien style if you’ve never rped with him before
I roleplay a lot of fandoms. To me, it's fun seeing how a OC can change a storyline, or maybe an alternate universe, but RPR, like so many people say, is originality based (something I'm bad at) and so o feel a bit lost here... oh well- if it ends up with nothing to do, I can always move on

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Lack of Fandom RPers?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus