Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » How RP Works

In your opinion, how should Role playing work, just want to know how other people think it should work.
- Ender
RimCaster

Quoting words of godd howard

"It just works."
It should for the most part be a creative idea between whomever is replaying and just kinda flow
It's a little different for everyone. For me, it's both a social creative exercise and practice/preparation for those big personal writing projects I claim to be doing but never quite get around to...you know, doing. :/
DazzlingDragon wrote:
It's a little different for everyone. For me, it's both a social creative exercise and practice/preparation for those big personal writing projects I claim to be doing but never quite get around to...you know, doing. :/

Yes, that’s me! I can never write enough for one of my stories to be considered a story in other people’s eyes, but roleplaying comes easy to me. In my eyes, roleplaying is the creation of a story, of a world and characters, a plot and creativity, with two or more people. In this way, I’m still writing what I love, but have some help with it as well.
Acting out a consistent part in an agreed-upon manner, with some degree of spontaneity.
Mipps

I consider it to be turn based collaboration to building a story.

Like.. those circle games where everyone sits in a circle and every person adds a new sentence to a story and it changes and evolves over time.
Claine Moderator

I've heard RP described as a shared mass-hallucination and I love it.

Sitting around a table with your friends or behind computer screens on opposite sides of the world all having identical visions.
Collaborative Story Telling!

Two (or more ala group rps or tabletop gaming) sit down and contribute to an overarching story. Sometimes there is a GM/DM guiding the main story and others contribute characters and ideas via those characters and the choices they make. Sometimes, as in one on one rps, it's a lot more give and take. Sometimes one person becomes a greater guiding force than the other, but it always hinges on compromise. And it should always be fun!
Kim Site Admin

This is my write-up on the basics http://www.rprepository.com/help/new-to-roleplay

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » How RP Works

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus