Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Where do YOU find your inspiration to write?

I thought this was a fun question to ask since I'm curious where others get their inspiration from.

For me, I love to listen to ambience videos on YouTube. This is mostly while I'm actually writing, but I also use it for relaxation (and inspiration while not writing). It also helps me to find myself easier into the story. Besides that I get inspiration from listening to music (songs with lyrics, and soundtracks). Or everyday stuff. Sometimes it's simple stuff like hearing a dog barking on the street. Or when I'm under the shower, or walking in nature.

So, where do you find your inspiration to write?

I'm also hoping this topic will help anyone who has problems finding their inspiration.
Typically I try and listen to music that is relevant to the scene. Something sad? sad music, something exciting like a fight? combat music. Helps me get into the mind of my character.

For when I am doing art I usually end up listening to the same kind of music although my go to is Skyrims atmosphere music. Its incredibly soothing to me.Its my favorite song in the whole album and its a sweet 43 minutes long.

Uh, gods not flipping Skyrim! I've modded that game so much over the last seven years it's hardly recognizable. But. that's where I get some of my inspiration from, when I create my own stuff. Other than that it's an eclectic taste in music.

'Dovahkiin, Dovahkiin, how do you stay so slim....'

FUS RO DAH! Vilja off the cliff.
Novus

I keep it hidden somewhere deep in my closet, in a shoebox. I think it's next to my motivation.

Real talk, though. I gather inspiration from talking to friends and brainstorming, other media, news stories, situations I've been in or witnessed, music, video games. I just kind of mesh everything into a franken-baby and call it gucci and it usually works out pretty well.
I have made an unholy pact with a powerful demon that has made to where I never really lose motivation to write. It will consume me, eventually.

In all seriousness, it’s really hard for me, personally, to not have motivation. I more see it as not really worrying about how my sentence structure is going to come out. I simply write. Put one word in front of the other and take it step by step. I don’t worry about how it’s going to turn out, because so often we are terrible judges of our own character and capabilities.
Rogue-Scribe

My inspiration to write seems to come to me randomly when it feels like it. I have to say my amazing rp co-writers inspire me to write RP, and my inspiration to make up stories and characters ebbs and flows depending on the day it seems.

If you are asking about the ambiance around me when I write, I usually put on one of my YouTube playlists on and settle under my head phones and let the magical chaos begin.
Valerian

It comes and goes like a thief in the night. I have to say, it's usually when I come up with a new character or quite literally at 2AM while I'm laying in bed. Just...comes to me.
I think I find inspiration in a lot of very common places - books, music, movies. Especially with books, I like to kind of analyze why a certain part of a book worked as well as it did, and see if I can incorporate that same feeling I got from the book into the RP. It can also be a mood or a setting that I found really cool, and that I can then take inspiration to create my own thing.

I also find a lot of inspirations in dance. Even if my character isn't a dancer, or isn't the least graceful, I love to find inspiration in the movement of dancers and how they fit with the musik.
LakotaSiouxWarrior

I find it in my fiancee,my family and freinds. In naturę The 4 seasons. At powows. In a bottle of winę Playing my bass guitar. Writing poems and songs. Listening to my favorite cds. Watching inspiring movies like Casablanca and gone with The wind.
In the fast aggressiveness of metal music! I draw a lot of inspiration from the rush metal gives, because it makes you feel badass.
I sold my soul to lucifer so that i can stay eternally inspired and never run out of ideas.

Jokes aside, I find my inspiration in music and books mostly, the music helps me get a feel of the environment, or a character's emotions and personality in a situation. I also just kinda imagine what it would be like to have that character in some sort of movie with the song playing in the background, really helps me get the scene into my head and visualise what i want others to imagine when i put it into words. The inspiration I take from books is mostly writing styles and relationships, I come up with ideas for cute character couples by mostly reading about the couples in the books. They also help me figure out how to do certain dramatic or combat related aspects in my writing.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Where do YOU find your inspiration to write?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus