Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Which character of yours has changed the most?

Whether it be conceptually or as a result of their storyline, I'm curious to hear how characters of yours have changed and developed over time!

Personally, I have had a looot of characters who no longer exist. Adrian (page WIP) and Harte are my two oldest characters by far. Adrian only really changed in terms of time period - he was an 18th-19th century character before and is now used in modern RPs, but his personality and all other pertinent details remain unchanged.

As for Harte, he's gone through a lot of changes. He was originally a Fallen London character, for those familiar with it (it's a free browser game that I highly recommend, and it essentially makes a character profile as you play), and was entirely human. His appearance was also quite a bit different than it is today.

At one point I made a character named Rowan who was roommates with another OC of mine, but I never used him for anything. Rowan was also a swan selkie (aka, he shifted by putting on or removing a swan skin). Harte went unused for years before I decided to revive him. I chose to subsume Rowan's character into him, giving him the same appearance and making him a shapeshifter as well. Previously, Harte had similar features, but was dark-haired (a very rich burgundy color) and dark-eyed, and perhaps more angular overall in my mind.

I placed him into The Golden Tether's community on Furcadia, along with giving him a substantial backstory as well as placing him in the horse training & competing business. Overall, he's changed a lot- his appearance, backstory, species, and occupation are all different (in Fallen London, he was a writer). In the end, his personality is once again the thing that has remained stable after all of these years. While I loved his original iteration, I'm really satisfied with how I've developed him, and I've put a lot of love into him... if his novel-length profile is any indication.

Let me know about your characters, if you've got any who have changed notably!
LakotaSiouxWarrior

Aylssa Nicole Kennedy. She went from being a slutty murderous homewrecking headturner cheerleader to a adorable cute single mother of her pride and joy daughter Melissa ann winona kennedy.
Of those I have listed, probably Kyra. She's one of my older characters, so, y'know... there has been cringe. And I won't claim it's all gone.

She actually still has about the same appearance and same intended personality and habits, although details of how that works out and how it's presented has changed. She's also basically the sort of creature, but the specifics there and how it came to be have changed massively.

In her original incarnation, she was the halfbreed child of some elf dude and a (black) human woman, and they all lived alone together out in the woods where hopefully no one would bother them. Terrible events resulted in her parents being killed and Kyra being turned into a vampire who doesn't really like other vampires, even though she can't consciously remember what happened. She wandered around because what the heck else is she supposed to do, and she did that feeding on animals instead of people thing (and in her very first RP, some guy managed to guilt her out of that, even though he was basically a werewolf himself?).

Initially, all the only changes were behavioral shifts to better suit what I'd intended in the first place. It wasn't until some various ideas came together in a worldbuilding project I had that the really big changes happened, keeping her as true to her original design as I could while completely redoing her background.

She's still a dark-skinned half-elf who tragically became a monster and wanders around by herself starting fights and not taking much seriously despite some deeply-buried guilt/self-loathing. But:
  • She's a second-generation half-elf, and among her people this isn't really an issue
  • Instead of generic elf, her heritage is dark-skinned desert-dwelling elves (that I created mostly because I think it's dumb for the only dark-skinned elves to be cave-dwellers)
  • She was raised in a tribe like any other of her kind and was already nomadic by nature
  • Rather than vampire, she was just messed up by a freak magical accident and can get pretty unstable in some circumstances/conditions
  • Her tribe took a huge hit, but still exists; they just exiled her for their safety

Lots of little points too, but those are the big ones.
Rogue-Scribe

I'd have to say the one who changed the most in-story since I created him was/is SteveHarrison. He started out as a quick throw-together for a public high school RP as a jock.

The original public RP didn't go anywhere so he answered a couple LFRP ads and got started into a couple 1x1 RPs. One was a ‘childhood neighbours’ crush, and the other was a 'student/teacher' ERP'. He then took part in another public high school RP and though it got much further then the previous one, it got overrun by a billion one-liner posts which drove out the descriptive paragraph-writers. It did result in Steve getting inundated with PMs for one-offs from girl characters though, so he became a bit of a slut-boy the last part of his senior year. One of those RPs sort of went weird when the co-writer pulled a bit of a ‘bait-&-switch’ as to who their character was and was like after we were well into the RP. Things didn’t end well and became some OOC drama, and I have since written that whole mess out of Steve’s storyline. Another of those 1x1 high-school RPs developed a half-sister for Steve which I fleshed out after my co-writer suddenly deleted themselves from the site leaving Steve with a partially finished storyline. Yet another of those high school 1x1 RPs had Steve get together with a young mother of twins, and I’ve rolled that storyline into Steve’s overall story as well.

Steve has since 'grown up' after graduation from high school as he went into the U.S. Army as was written into most of those high school RPs, and I o-wrote a modern military 1x1 RP set in Afghanistan. That one was intense and fast-moving, and led to an NPC from it being created into a character. Meanwhile, the RP story with the original 'teacher' and the daughter the teacher had from their original ERP story returned to being written in a sequel 1x1 RP. The co-writer has since ended their writing of explicit RPs and I have brought the story ahead to Steve’s life after getting discharged from the army. He had suffered a leg wound and PTSD and is a disabled veteran now, and he bought and lives at his parents house where he grew up, and has taken over the family business when his father wanted to retire.

So Steve went from a carefree high school kid to a combat soldier and a concerned parent who is regularly deployed and isn't there to help raise his daughters, to dealing with injury and effects of being in war zones too long, to middle age and pursuing his desire to restore old cars. He has been a good evolving character over the last couple years of writing and I am still developing his story. I did do a re-adjustment of the timeline to try and keep thinks consistent.

I have also 're-purposed' characters whose original RPs have ended or have been ghosted, some quite drastically. I find it easier to edit an existing character I'm no longer using than creating an all-new character. I suppose they would have technically 'changed the most', but they technically became different characters entirely.
Tobias Clark (played by Tugboattom)

Tobias all the way! So originally Tobias Clark was a young human kid with electric blur hair and the ability to create illusions(it was a My Hero Acadamia Roleplay.), who had a dark back ground. Then he ended up a child of hephaestus with a super dark backstory( for a World Of x site.).It seems to me i had a thing about dark characters. And now he's a goofy little elven archer.
The character that probably saw the most evolution since his first incarnation is likely Abel, whom also happens to be the character I'm currently working on putting into RPR, but I'm on the fence about how far into his progress and evolution I should go.
NOTE:
For reference, I'll be using the terms Pre-Dis and Post-Dis here, which I only noticed after finishing this would cause some confusion and I didn't feel like editing every instance. Basically, they stand for prior to and following my willingness to Distance (see what I did there?) Abel from his original concept, which also happened to be the point where in one RP he visited Dis, the capital of Hell.

Quick context on the character; Abel was born very much with a "modern monster hunter" plot in mind. He was very much inspired by anime, early 2010s supernatural-themed media, and the underrated Brūtal Legend videogame starring Jack Black.

APPEARANCE
Originally he was pretty much my current profile picture, looking like so;
Abel Pre-Dis

DaA8w6G.png

FULL DISCLOSURE, this was not the original picture for him, it was much poorer quality and I found this much later, but this has pretty much retroactively become his base appearance.
At the time, he very much followed a "big damn hero" archetype, being pretty massive at 200cm (6'6"), being―in hindsight―surprisingly reasonable in weight at just as many pounds (200lbs), and being pretty much devoid of scars or blemishes with constantly well-maintained facial hair and good hygiene despite his life on the road as a demon hunter (for at the time he was specifically chasing down demons rather than supernatural creatures in general, more on that later), and always sporting a friendly smile that showed clear "good guy" vibes. He was also very regularly depicted smoking because I'd just started smoking at the time and thought that was a cool trait that separated him from "less mature" characters... you can see the cringe in his origin design.

Then at some point I started maturing and adding canonical changes to his appearance every time they occurred, particularly any injuries, which netted him his current look;
Abel Post-Dis

k4nZ6aw.png

My passable-at-best editing skills aside, Abel also saw a significant height decrease, dropping from his original height to 185cm (5'11½") tall (and losing some weight to become 165lbs, keeping him roughly proportional), less as a result of plot and more as a result of a desire to humanize him a bit to make him less of a "larger-than-life Gary Stu" and more of a "still bad-ass, but more well-rounded" character. The steady increase in scars stemmed from the weakness I introduced to him early on of having terrible aim, which resulted in him getting more "up close and personal" in his supernatural conflicts. He often got described with stubble or a full beard (though I'm never gonna bother trying to add that onto the picture myself), more rough appearance in line with the nature of his day-to-day, and I finally canonized what his voice would sound like; giving him a clear but gravelly bass-baritone which I figured felt right for a masculine character with a big smoking habit. This also caused his second weakness to prop up; where he'd have occasional coughing fits at inopportune moments, particularly following or during periods of intense exertion, due to the whole "smoking" thing. He also got the golden eyes somewhere along that process as a result of a plot where I consented to him losing a fight AND suffering lasting consequence from it. He had his eyes gouged out for a period of time before being replaced by the eyes of a demon, which netted him some cool abilities but essentially just made other abilities he already had irrelevant and so those were retroactively removed, diversifying the origin of his powers.

But of course, his appearance wasn't the only thing that changed since this character has been running around having his unashamedly "Supernatural™" meets "Helsing™" and "Devil May Cry™" inspired shenanigans, undergoing various personality revolutions, changes in perspective and maturity level, retcons, and the likes which is pretty normal for a character that was birth by a teenager and evolved across a decade alongside its writer.

PERSONALITY
PRE-DIS
Originally, Abel was extremely "anime protagonist" in nature, taking after such wonderful characters as "Dragon Ball Z™"'s Goku, "Inu Yasha™"'s titular character, and "The Legend of the Legendary Heroes™"'s Ryner. He was pretty much oriented towards fighting monsters for fun with the added bonus that it made the world a better place, was technologically backwards, acted way cooler than my poorly refined writing style at the time allowed him to be, and was prone to dissociative behavior such as wise-cracking like an action comedy protagonist in the middle of a fight that reached "Freddy Vs Jason™" levels of severity and gore. If he had a character alignment at this point, it would've been "Stupid Good", and it was clear that his behavior followed "rule of cool" more than logic given his backstory... we'll get to that soon, let me brace for the cringe. But first, his current personality.

POST-DIS
After some development, Abel became more of an original anti-hero character. He retained his mentality of "fighting monsters because it's fun", but it was more due to a blood knight mentality and a bit of a death wish than because he just liked fighting bad guys for its own sake. It was also justified as a way for him to make money, being a legitimate job. Surprisingly, he developed MORE of a bad boy personality, having a more overt disregard for the law, being much more flirtatious towards the opposite sex, and was the first character with whom I dipped my toes into the world of ERP... that's not super relevant, but still a fun fact about the guy. What he did between monster hunting got more fleshed out, starting with a drinking habit to go along with the smoking, establishing him as a guy who likes reading, and this pushed him into writing about his adventures―a second source of income further justifying his lifestyle. Because I'd established him as having horrible aim and relying more on fisticuffs and melee weapons to take down his prey, I gave him some martial arts related hobbies to go along with that. By the end, his personality ended up becoming a strange blend of a few original concepts, Dean from "Supernatural™", Dante from "Devil May Cry™" and―because my then girlfriend introduced me to the show and I liked the character―Damon from "Vampire Diaries™" of all things. It modulated a bit from there until he eventually got to be his own person. Finally, I gave him a solid justification for his monster hunting besides just "I like punching monsters in the face", which I was shocked took so long... but that requires we step into the realm of backstory.

BACKSTORY

PRE-DIS
Originally, Abel's backstory was both 2edgy4thisworld and also extremely plain... Like I said earlier; I needed to prepare for the cringe. Basically, Abel was the son of Satan, named after God's favorite son of Adam as a middle finger to the big G-man in the sky. This netted him some sweet demonic mojo, magical powers, super strength, and a bunch of other stuff that by all rights should have made the ridiculous arsenal of guns I'd outfitted him with completely redundant... but at the time he was pretty much my first and only "modern setting" character, and the first thing that came to mind to distinguish that from fantasy and sci-fi, for some reason, was gunz! His whole thing was that he was pretty much the anti-Christ, though only by virtue of being Satan's kid and otherwise it did precious little to impact his character (as you might've been able to tell from his personality), he was raised in an orphanage ("get those pesky parents out of my character's backstory as fast as possible before they impact his character" says the teen RPer), and pretty much just decided to pick up demon hunting because it seemed like a fun thing to do. No, I'm serious. Original Abel was one of my laziest characters even by the standards I had at the time and I would've honestly ended up dropping him if it wasn't for his evolution through organic RP and a very long lasting RP career with a past partner who―for a reason that escapes me―fell in love with him and practically begged me to always play as him. He grew on me as a result, which is a good thing because it allowed for Abel to become a more fleshed out character which I now enjoy.

POST-DIS
Ret-conned hard following the RP where he took a fun dip into hell, Abel was awarded a new backstory. First, rather than being "the dark side's messiah who rebelled against them for fun", he was instead born into a coven of witches who believed him to be the anti-Christ, which was a small but significant nuance. Instead of being born just innately awesome because "Satan blood is in his veins", Abel received a few tasteful magical boons from the members of the cult, giving a less "just born awesome" vibe to his abilities. Eventually, some supernatural hunters caught wind of the cult's operations and took it down, sending the "rescued" orphans into the system. However, Abel managed to escape and track them, making himself a right nuisance until they finally caved in to his demand of taking him along with them, having a desire for adventure considering he'd never been "out" before... kickstart a life of monster hunting.
Wow this is a neat concept! As far as character growth, I'd have to say my boy Domitus. He's one of my oldest, and I've spent a lot of time getting him to a place where I'm happy with his general concept. Beyond that, I've made it so easy for roleplay to really alter his behaviors, thought process, etc. He's come such a long way from just being the drunk anger doge in the gutter.

A close second would be Marshall Nolen, my feline familiar who owns a cat cafe. Initially, it was a bookstore. He started out on the East Coast and wound up on the West. He went from being distrusting of other supernatural folk to good friends with a witch, a familiar, and now engaged to a werewolf. Nolen is one of those characters who developed mostly all on his own via roleplay, too, which is one of my favorite things when it comes to roleplay.

Honestly, I can't wait to look at my characters in a year and see who they've become!
Pint (played anonymously)

Honestly, it’s this guy.

What first started as your average cookie cutter, run of the mill dwarven fighter turned into the dwarf version of d'artagnan.

He got a massive hero complex, was betrayed by his original party which drove him to an intense bitterness, went absolutely mad when he fought Cthulhu and came back to the material realm with just pieces of his sanity left.

What once was just another greedy dwarven mercenary became some kind of Shonen hero that rised up against evil despite being in his last legs. I never thought Pint would be hero material- like many of my characters, he was just a joke concept at the beginning and then he took on his own story line.

I guess he’s still pretty greedy despite everything but I reckon if he weren’t chaotic I would have turned him into a Paladin by now.
Rogue-Scribe

Another changing/evolving character I have is Darrell Sanders who began life as an NPC in one of the high school RPs. He’s developed a varied story through my years of writing him as well, and his story is still being written in RP. I am in the process of editing his whole story to clear out some inconsistencies.
Claine Moderator

The character that has probably changed the most is West. And well, that's going to happen when you've refined a character for literally half of your life. The first line of his profile even says that he was an AU, and that this is his real profile, but the truth is I just never never never think about Fantasy West at all any more. And even though he's a modern -> sci fi character these days his roots as a fantasy character are still clear.

- Very early versions of this character was not a mechanic.
- Very early versions of this character didn't have the one-ring style quest
- He really hated demons for some reason? He didn't have any personal history with them.
- Dressed in edgy all black ninja garb
- Was hyper-adverse to religion.

When it comes to characterisation, I think that my age and writing ability has tempered him a little bit. I always described him as a coward but I so so adverse to 'looking weak' in a RP that he would literally charge into battle, pull off a bunch of flashy moves and win every time. He was played like an anime swordsman. These days he does everything he possibly can to stay out of warfare, he's just so irreparably damaged from things he's seen, and been forced to do, the thought of combat would actually make him nauseous.
I got one. My first character.

His name was Joseph Mannsfield in fantasy setting. (Yeah cringe name for medieval fantasy, I was 7 at the time, shush.) An Elven ranger captain. And that was it.

Then he had a name change. Braegor, now becoming an Elven Prince, that was a Werewolf.
And another name change. Braegor Anglaias.
And another one. Anglaias Braegor.
And another one. Sarobando Braegor Anglaias.
And another one. Sarobando Anglaias Braegor.

Then finally he became an Wood-Elf bandit/powerful Werewolf.
And the three names all split.
The character became Sarobando Bassiss.
Braegor became Braegor Bassiss, head of the family and Saro's uncle.
Anglaias became Anglaias Bassiss, Braegor's son and Saro's younger cousin, an alchemist/healer. Extremely powerful Werewolf.

Saro was a bandit at ages 17 through to something like 22. Can't remember. Then he became like a stay at home family man and baby sitter to his cousins.

Last time I RPed him he had a family of his own. 2 kids and a partner. Though this will have to change, as I'm no longer friends with the person who played the partner.

So right now he's likely a depressed wanderer.

Oh and he's now... 158 ish. And has a lot of RP history behind him. Shame I don't play him anymore due to lack of good art. He was one of my more popular characters here when I was Ozzyotter3001.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Which character of yours has changed the most?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus