Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Sanne's knitting thread (Image heavy)

Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

r2PgEBr.png

In light of my recent discovery of double knitting, I present to you the beginning of the RPR logo:

The 'front':

auWRZ7L.jpg

The 'back':

QGrBxne.jpg

Omg it looks like the batman logo.

Because Bones wanted to watch me knit, I recorded a nearly 10 minute video of me knitting the logo. It's boring as hell but if anyone's crazy enough to watch, BE MY GUEST.

Figured I'd update you all with my progress. :) This is 14 rows finished of 63.

7RxHzul.jpg

kqKEZZM.jpg

I've started knitting socks on my knitting loom with a different pattern. This means I can knit them in one go without having to bother sewing stuff together! Much nicer and surprisingly simple. :D

1502320_466647203455878_864523637_o.jpg

1525636_466647206789211_1100012491_n.jpg

Google became my new best friend.

0KeHAbC.gif
Behold my yarn box:

k564a8.jpg

And that is not a small box.

I'm a slow knitter, so it takes me months to do something as big as a shawl, and I have trouble with patterns (my brain does not like abbreviations in instructions), but I do enjoy it. ^^

The small white box contains my loom knitting stuff. I got a loom kit for Christmas. Still not sure how I feel about it.

YAAAY a guy knitter! Always makes me happy when I find guys who knit, there are too few of you. And I'm envious of your stash, though mine's getting consistently fuller instead of smaller. (What is this 'too much yarn' you speak of?)

This will be my newest addition to my stash once the delivery guy drops it off:

MoZv0vB.jpg

4 balls of each color (they're sold in lots like that). So. Pretty.

If you need help with patterns, give me a holler. I'm pretty quick at figuring them out and usually translate them into simpler patterns. I also now own a set of round knitting looms (biggest is 41 pins and smallest 24 pins).

What sort of looms did you get? And why are you unsure about it?

I like knitting with either looms or needles, the looms are just useful for knitting in the round (since I lack double pointed needles). They are a little more limited though. You're stuck with x amount of pins per loom, whereas with DP needles you have more room to play around with the gauge and amount of stitches.

I wanted to try knitting two colors vertically on a loom and decided to make a small scarf for my kitty.

5TpU1qm.jpg

I did a sloppy finishing job because it's not that important (just a test thing really) but it looks kinda adorable still!
I'm new to it, so I'm still uncomfortable. I might settle into it, or I might decide it's too much trouble to bother with unless I'm doing something I specifically need a loom to make. The kit is a bunch of frame pieces I can put together, from a tiny square for making flowers to a massive thin rectangle big enough to make a baby blanket in one go. It includes a round loom in two pieces so you can extend it into an oval or oblong if you want. Pretty neat. The pegs are also removable and come in small and large, so you can set it up for worsted or bulky yarn.

I confess most of my stash is stuff I got from relatives when they learned I took up knitting. Most of my needles were gifts from my mom, for example, and most of my sport and fingering weight yarn is from my ex-boss's aunt who didn't have room to take it when she moved.

I can read the patterns just fine usually, but I have trouble keeping track of where I am because I have to stop every line and mentally translate the abbreviations, or go looking in the nearest glossary because I don't know all the abbreviations off the top of my head. I understand why magazines do 'yo k2t' and 'rows 32-43, rep 30-31', but it gives me a headache to read it.

My cat would never let me put a scarf on him. Not even one as stylish as that. XD

He likes the assortment of cat-sized blankets I've made him, though.

trinfan wrote:
I'm new to it, so I'm still uncomfortable. I might settle into it, or I might decide it's too much trouble to bother with unless I'm doing something I specifically need a loom to make. The kit is a bunch of frame pieces I can put together, from a tiny square for making flowers to a massive thin rectangle big enough to make a baby blanket in one go. It includes a round loom in two pieces so you can extend it into an oval or oblong if you want. Pretty neat. The pegs are also removable and come in small and large, so you can set it up for worsted or bulky yarn.

Adjustable looms sound so awesome! XD I also heard of people having trouble with them coming apart while knitting though. Maybe they just got low-quality stuff?
trinfan wrote:
I confess most of my stash is stuff I got from relatives when they learned I took up knitting. Most of my needles were gifts from my mom, for example, and most of my sport and fingering weight yarn is from my ex-boss's aunt who didn't have room to take it when she moved.

I can read the patterns just fine usually, but I have trouble keeping track of where I am because I have to stop every line and mentally translate the abbreviations, or go looking in the nearest glossary because I don't know all the abbreviations off the top of my head. I understand why magazines do 'yo k2t' and 'rows 32-43, rep 30-31', but it gives me a headache to read it.

Yarn is yarn, no matter where you got it from!

And I hear you. I'm still working on the RPR logo and my pattern has started to look like this:

19: M2, C1, M3, C4, M7, C12, M1, C2, M2, C1, M1, C12, M2
20: M2, C1, M1, C4, M2, C3, M5, C2, M2, C5, M13, C4, M3, C1, M2

It's becoming such a pain to keep track of but at least it's not overly complicated.
trinfan wrote:
My cat would never let me put a scarf on him. Not even one as stylish as that. XD

He likes the assortment of cat-sized blankets I've made him, though.

My cat Dette (pictured) is like a rag doll. I've basically forced her to do my bidding since she was a tiny kitten and she will let me do anything to her now. She's had to wear a cone of shame for a few months so wearing stuff doesn't bother her anymore. She gets itchy fast though and tends to destroy the few decorative scarfs I make her real fast. :(
Sanne wrote:
Adjustable looms sound so awesome! XD I also heard of people having trouble with them coming apart while knitting though. Maybe they just got low-quality stuff?

It's possible. But the way these slot together, the pins you stick in them go through both pieces, so they can't fall apart unless the pins fall out first. I like that.
Sanne wrote:
Yarn is yarn, no matter where you got it from!

And I hear you. I'm still working on the RPR logo and my pattern has started to look like this:

19: M2, C1, M3, C4, M7, C12, M1, C2, M2, C1, M1, C12, M2
20: M2, C1, M1, C4, M2, C3, M5, C2, M2, C5, M13, C4, M3, C1, M2

It's becoming such a pain to keep track of but at least it's not overly complicated.

I admit I get a frustrated with even really simple patterns. I keep meaning to gather up all the patterns I want to try and type them up so I can read them, but... y'know, there are fanfics to write. ^^;
Sanne wrote:
My cat Dette (pictured) is like a rag doll. I've basically forced her to do my bidding since she was a tiny kitten and she will let me do anything to her now. She's had to wear a cone of shame for a few months so wearing stuff doesn't bother her anymore. She gets itchy fast though and tends to destroy the few decorative scarfs I make her real fast. :(

Mine's a stray. I've had him since he was a kitten, but I only recently took up knitting, so I didn't get to train him in modeling. Le sigh.

I'm working on a doggy sweater for Jay's Dachshund. I'm using a round knitting loom with 36 pegs and chunky yarn (9mm). It will include white, green and bright orange in alternating colors to make him more visible on walks. XD

zBmjrnr.jpg
I'm attempting to learn how to use double-pointed needles so I can make a sweater for a Rottweiler. Emphasis on 'attempting'.

trinfan wrote:
I'm attempting to learn how to use double-pointed needles so I can make a sweater for a Rottweiler. Emphasis on 'attempting'.

I'd like to knit with DP needles, but I find most of them are very short. The longer ones can get expensive. :( I do have 3 circular knitting needles (4mm, 5mm and 8mm I think) which are super useful for magic loop knitting. Mine are only 80cm long and I don't know how big a rottweiler's sweater would be, but they go up to 120cm if I recall right. If DP knitting doesn't work out for you, it might be worth looking into circular knitting needles. :)
I have circular needles. I think I have 4 sets. The problem is, I have yet to find a store that sells any length other than 29 inches (~74cm), which is way too big for the neck, and the 'magic loop' thing confuses me even more than DP needles.

I'll get it eventually, I just need to find a good video/a book with pictures big enough to actually see.

I finished it! :)

1557311_482297491890849_1612819853_o.jpg

1523129_482297478557517_1998993052_o.jpg

1598767_482297495224182_1962763338_o.jpg

1602071_482297485224183_1645598964_o.jpg
That is gonna be one stylish dog.

Alright, brief (probably going to be an extensive) update.

I started knitting on my circular needles (using magic loop) and made a toe up sock. It was largely experimental in size and heel placement, as well as figuring out what sort of things I wanted to include in the pattern. I forfeited a gusset in the pattern, but consequently I made the foot too short and the heel got ugly stretchy.

1655322_486807504773181_1982136812_o.jpg

1597240_486807551439843_1084150168_o.jpg

It's a little hard to see in the second picture, but the area between the front of the ankle and the heel is overstretched, where the rest of the foot isn't. It doesn't look right! However, for a first time knitting on circular needles, first time knitting with magic loop, first time using the stitches M1L/M1R and first time using short rows to make the heel, I think I did a good job! :)

I ended up ending the sock prematurely, not knitting a cuff and using a wrong bind off so that I can keep the swatch handy when I knit new socks. Mistakes are to be learned from, right?

I also found out that you can knit two socks at the same time on one pair of needles when you use magic loop, something you can't do with DPNs (unless you use two sets of the same size needles and knit each one round by round in the same order). So after the experiment, I started on this:

1621907_487343814719550_595006949_n.jpg

Two socks at the same time on one pair of needles. The pros? Your socks will always be the exactly the same. No different sizes for this gal! You can also use one ball of yarn and knit with both ends of the yarn (like I'm doing here), rather than use two different skeins. Makes the work very portable! The cons are mainly just that it's a bit of a bitch to set up the first time, and it's easier to makes mistakes. However, I haven't run into the cons as much as I thought I would. :)

Then there's this SUPER CUTE PAIR of crocheted slippers I found:

1689878_10152207062527313_370905370_n.jpg

I'm pretty confident that this can be done with a knitting loom or regular needles as well. It's definitely going on my to-do list!
Wow, those are some pretty crocheted slippers!

Also, I am in awe of your sock-making skills.

The only difficult part about making socks is making a heel that doesn't have giant ass gaps in it. I strongly recommend you follow this tutorial if you ever decide to knit socks. This is a great pattern to start with for the toe and foot sections. (I have some trouble with the gusset and heel part in this pattern, so I left out the gusset and did the heel as in the video instead) When using magic loop you can try on the socks as you go along and increase where necessary to make them fit properly, which is one reason I prefer them over DPNs.

Also, progress pic!

1598639_487492034704728_2044115057_o.jpg

It's really just a continuous row of stockinette stitch for another 4-5 inches, then increasing the amount of stitches to snug my instep properly, knitting the heel, then working the cuff and decreasing where necessary. Which is why fitting it while working is so important to me. :P

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Sanne's knitting thread (Image heavy)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus