Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Sanne's knitting thread (Image heavy)

Maybe, but detail work gives me migraines, so I tend to avoid anything that requires squinting.

I worked on some of my stuff today but forgot to take a picture earlier, and my camera doesn't like my lightbulbs so all you'd see right now is darkness. I need to remember to take some pictures tomorrow to show you.
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

1888690_493348527452412_436278929_n.jpg

Getting close now! I've done all the decreasing necessary and am working a 1k 1p rib on the cuff now until I run out of yarn. :) That should keep it snug.
They look awesome. ^^

Progress is surprisingly slow on the cuff. It's a rib stitch (knit one, purl one, repeat) and because I'm a thrower (knitting with the working yarn on the right hand) it takes a lot of hand movements to switch between the stitches. The first parts of the socks is just the same stitch over and over (stockinette) so it's faster.

Either way, I love love love how the colors are turning ouuuut!

1781967_494460337341231_435542304_n.jpg
I'm a thrower, too. No wonder I rarely use rib stitch.

Since I last posted a picture of my yarn stash in September last year, I've an update on that. <.<

I moved my yarn into my bookshelf box (hell yes IKEA!) and it's now 3 layers deep.

1534969_492698637517401_465155802_o.jpg

1597215_492698604184071_1537984892_o.jpg

1617600_492698640850734_419054182_o.jpg

1900717_492698650850733_289467811_o.jpg

And of course my abundance of scrap yarn that I have to untangle and ball up and sort still. XD

Pretty much all of this is acrylic yarn (100% for the majority of balls) and very cheap. The top layer with the pretty multicolored yarn is the yarn I bought with the Christmas knitting funds. :)
I've added 10-20 balls of super chunky yarn I hope to eventually turn into a blanket. Someday. I'm trying to use some of my yarn before I buy more, but it's hard. ^^;

trinfan wrote:
I've added 10-20 balls of super chunky yarn I hope to eventually turn into a blanket. Someday. I'm trying to use some of my yarn before I buy more, but it's hard. ^^;

Repeat after me: I never have enough yarn.

It's a common disease among knitters to always buy more yarn even though you already have more than plenty. I know of no knitter who uses up their stash before buying new skeins!
I know I'm never going to use it all, but I don't have another dehumidifier box if this one overflows. XD

What I want to do is empty out this... I don't even know what to call it, it's basically two huge drawers and that's it. It's about three feet high, three feet wide, and two feet deep. I want to fill that thing with yarn. It's full of crap my sister left behind when she moved right now and I'm too lazy to go through it. ^^;
Not too long ago, a friend's daughter (I think she's about 2 years) fell and broke her arm, and had to get a cast (and apparently, none of this bothered the kid in the least o.O). The girl kept smacking herself with the cast though, so my friend made a little cast-cozy to soften in. Can't remember if it was knit or crochet (the latter I think), but I thought it was both cute and clever.

I'm partially off sick leave and building my work queue and 'small challenges to recovery' schedule, so I've been having a little less time/energy for knitting. Howeverrrrrrr, I'm catching up on the RPR logo and try to do 2 rows a day minimum now (on row 32 of 63 currently). You can really see the logo come to life now! :)

1015944_508175855969679_1923753917_o.jpg

I made an owl puff the other day (which I'm also custom making and selling here):

1921168_517475951706336_2146048562_o.jpg

Right now I'm working on a Doge dishcloth, I'm just duplicate stitching the pattern onto it now and then I'm going to try and block it again so it will stop curling.

JHq54lq.jpg
My current project is a poncho. Because I'm trying to kill myself.

65a13r.jpg

I'm working on row 84, averaging between 10 and 20 rows a day, but since I'm increasing constantly I doubt I'll be able to maintain that pace. ^^;

That looks really good so far trin!! :) What needles are you using? Do you have a pattern you're following or are you knitting to fit?
Size 10(US) circular needles. I found a pattern that gives directions in inches instead of rows and did a lot of math. It's my first time knitting something like this, so I hope it turns out okay. Even if it doesn't fit me, I can donate it to the local thift store and maybe someday see someone wearing it in WalMart.

I also think I may need more yarn. I bought the store out of this particular color last time I was there, so hopefully they'll have more tomorrow.

Knitting to fit/measure in inches is an option in a lot of patterns. :) It just makes it difficult to duplicate an item exactly, but with things like ponchos it usually doesn't matter much.

I hope you can get more of the yarn! Before you give or put away this poncho, try to weigh it, see how much of this yarn you ended up using in grams. It will help you get an idea of how much yarn goes into a project this size so you can buy enough in one go.

Yarns are often sold in dye lots because even two of the same color may have a very subtle shade difference. Depending on your projects, you may prefer having a uniform color from the same dye lot. If you don't care much, then this doesn't matter. ;)
They only had four skeins of the stuff on hand, and I'm slightly obsessed with the teal/turquoise/aqua/cyan color spectrum. I could have bought the eight skeins of purple they had, but I'd rather risk the variation in color with the turquoise. ^^

That's the problem with buying the good stuff at my local yarn store- it's actually mainly a quilting shop, with a tiny room of yarn off to the side, so they tend not to have much of any given yarn/color at once. If you have the money on hand, the owner will put in a bulk order for you, but I'm not that rich. Even though I could so make an entire wardrobe with this stuff.

I put together my birthday money and ordered the following! This is a very special order for me because I usually only buy acrylic wool due to my budget. I've always wanted to knit real wool and cotton to get a feeling for the yarn, and because some of it works better for certain projects!

On top of that they're super pretty. :)

23837.jpg

Magic Pure Wool Maroon Cream Camel Brown

23340.jpg

Camilla Cotton White Orchid Lilac
I bet whatever you make with that first one is going to look awesome. X3

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Sanne's knitting thread (Image heavy)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus