Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Sanne's knitting thread (Image heavy)

Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

Well I screwed up.

The mesh pattern is supposed to consistently slant/spiral towards the left. Somehow I ended up reversing it after the 5th repeat.

qH6A9Hr.jpg

I tried to frog back to a point where I could pick up the mesh pattern and continue, but I didn't manage to. So I decided **** this and went alllll the way back to the plain rectangle before I started knitting in the round. This means I have to pick up all the stitches along the edges (again), knit 3 rows (again), then start the mesh pattern up again.

The thing that's really killing me is that I don't know where I went wrong. I can deal with starting over, but I want to know what I did so I can prevent it. Sadly that's pretty much impossible to track down after the fact. :/

I'm SUCH AN IDIOT.

I just started picking up stitches again, dreading it because last time it was pretty damn fiddly. And then I realized: if I put my other needle into the stitch from the front, I can just knit off the needle to make a new stitch and knit into the back. IT IS SO MUCH EASIER THAN PICKING UP A STITCH WITHOUT A NEEDLE OH MY GOODNESS.

I feel like the hugest dumbass around for not realizing this last time! My k1fb stitches look SO MUCH NEATER and less clumsy now. It's amazing.

So I got funky! I bought a DIY children's necklace/bracelet kit and decided to make stitchmarkers for my needles (up to 5mm). I might make more if I like how these work. :D

1980441_520551258065472_474134500_o.jpg
I actually did that thing with the rows switching directions once, but it was on a scarf. I just kind of cast off and stared at it wondering how the heck that happened.

trinfan wrote:
I actually did that thing with the rows switching directions once, but it was on a scarf. I just kind of cast off and stared at it wondering how the heck that happened.

The beauty of knitting! :P I expected this to go wrong, I've done too many new things in one project for it to go right.
I might have to attempt that pattern again, once I'm done with my current project.
Dragonfire Moderator

Aaah, the joys of frogging. :p

Speaking of which, I finished that sweater that I mentioned way back in this thread (which I ended up knitting five arms for, in the course of things)... just in time for winter to start backing off and be no longer sweater weather, of course.

fronthood_medium.jpg

There are more pictures of it over on my Ravelry page. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out!
That's lovely, Dragonfire. :)

Wow that turned out amazing!! It would probably take me 6 years to get a sweater together at this point. XD

How much yarn went into that?

And at least you had a winter. I never bothered finishing my mitts or hats because the temp never went low enough to warrant it and I lost motivation. <.<
Dragonfire Moderator

Thanks, guys. :3 It was definitely an odyssey to get it to its finished state, but I learned so much doing it that it was very much worth doing, hehe.

It ended up taking somewhere around 1300 metres, I think. 'Though I can't remember whether I had one skein left or two, so possibly a bit less. :p

Aww, poor mitts. There's always next year!
I am years and years away from sweaters.

I did make a tiny shawl for one of my stuffed ponies today, though. Gonna use thicker yarn to make another one for my bigger stuffed pony. Work my way up to a human-sized one. Build my knitting stamina.

Dragonfire wrote:
Thanks, guys. :3 It was definitely an odyssey to get it to its finished state, but I learned so much doing it that it was very much worth doing, hehe.

That's what most knitting projects are about, in my experience!! My market bag includes yarnovers and picking up stitches from a work, and both were new to me. (Even though I've made accidental yarnovers in the past, but they don't count. <.<)

Dragonfire wrote:
It ended up taking somewhere around 1300 metres, I think. 'Though I can't remember whether I had one skein left or two, so possibly a bit less. :p

Aww, poor mitts. There's always next year!

Aww geeshe! That's a lot. XD I usually wear a large size (48 EU in tops and sweaters) so I've no idea how much yarn I'd end up using for even a regular sweater. I think I'm going to tackle that one when I've more room financially to afford good quality sweater yarn. I don't think acrylic will be too comfortable after a wash or two. <.< Or perhaps a nice cotton yarn for a summer/fall top! :3

trinfan wrote:
I am years and years away from sweaters.

I did make a tiny shawl for one of my stuffed ponies today, though. Gonna use thicker yarn to make another one for my bigger stuffed pony. Work my way up to a human-sized one. Build my knitting stamina.

Small projects are the best! :D I knitted a teensy scarf for my cat once. She scratched it to bits but it was a fun little try-me-out thing. It certainly helped prepare me for bigger projects. :3

FqTGKZZ.jpg

Another puff! This one's for sale in my puff thread. ;)
I have discovered I have no yarn to suit the Great and Powerful Trixie. Oh, dear.

So cute! If I wasn't saving up money against Ferio re-opening commissions, I'd totally buy one. X3

trinfan wrote:
I have discovered I have no yarn to suit the Great and Powerful Trixie. Oh, dear.

What?! Unacceptable! (What were you planning on making again?)

trinfan wrote:
So cute! If I wasn't saving up money against Ferio re-opening commissions, I'd totally buy one. X3

Thanks! :3 I make them because they're quick, fun and get rid of my scrap yarn that's too short to go towards anything else.

Someone from the knitting FB group I'm part of bought me this super adorable pony plushie pattern:

TwoSimplified_medium2.JPG

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/sparks-pony-pattern

I just have to get all the yarn together for this project and then give it a shot. About 46 grams of worsted weight for the body and then some undisclosed amount for the mane, depending on how long it will be. Also will need extra for wings and horn where applicable. It's definitely going to be a more difficult project for me. The sewing itself should be easy to follow, it's the sewing and stuffing that will kill me. @_@
I thought I'd make her a cape/poncho/shawl, since she didn't come with one, but I don't seem to have any purple yarn to make one with. I thought I had an entire skein, but apparently not.

trinfan wrote:
I thought I'd make her a cape/poncho/shawl, since she didn't come with one, but I don't seem to have any purple yarn to make one with. I thought I had an entire skein, but apparently not.

If you were here I'd give you one of mine. I have at least 5 or 6 purple skeins in my stash. XD Different shades too.
I can't buy any yarn for at least another week. Gotta stick to my budget, however hard it may be.

But next week I'm raiding that yarn store. They have some awesome sparkly purple stuff that I think Trixie would like, since I can't do designs yet so no patterns for her cape.
Dragonfire Moderator

Good luck with the shawl, Trinfan! Shawls are really gratifying; they take not-a-lot-of-yarn to make comparatively big pieces, since lacework (even basic stuff with alternating yarnovers) opens up so much. :)

Sanne, the yardage on the sweater was only particularly big for that pattern because of the inclusion of the hood and kangaroo pocket. If it had neither of those things, it probably would have only ('only') been around 1000m. I'm making a plainer sweater now for my husband - and we're relatively the same size - and it's using about that much. Still, definitely a bit of yarn!

And, yeah, you could make a sweater out of acrylic... but a nice superwash wool or something would probably be nicer. :) There's stuff out there that is good quality and not-too-expensive, too!

That owl-puff is super-cute, though! As are the ponies. Seams are something that take time to get used to, to get really smooth and blended-in with the rest of the work, but that's just part of that overall learning process, hehe. They were one of the things I had to work on with the sweater, in fact; setting in the sleeve to an armhole takes about three or four different ways of sewing to make it look decent.

I know there are a couple of sewing stitches that are very nice for these things. I think mattress stitch is one of those? My bag pattern has a bind off called "3-Needle Bind Off technique". No idea what it is, but there are a bunch of tutorials online so I should be fine once I get there. XD It's also some sort of grafting stitch I think.

I'm getting really comfortable with kitchener stitch too. All my puffs are seamed together at the top after I stuff them. I'm still playing around with the tension around the edges so I can simulate owl 'ears'. XD

1980423_522143747906223_7995880884421171731_o.jpg

My bag is coming along nicely now too! Halfway there with the mesh pattern. I think I'll get another repeat of this gradient before I start on the rib edge and handle. :)

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Sanne's knitting thread (Image heavy)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus