Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Sanne's knitting thread (Image heavy)

Hooray for progress!

I've sadly been too busy to knit much lately.
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

Knitting is the only thing keeping me going right now because it keeps me busy all the time. It's a good thing for me. :)

I finally did the heels on my socks. It was super frustrating though and I'm not happy with the way the heels are done. I found out yesterday about a particular pattern that makes smooth and gapless heels without having to use stitchmarkers or wraps. I'm going to try that on my next pair.

Now all I have to do is finish up the heel and instep, then decrease to the cuff to make it a snug fit.

Might make these knee height socks. Depends on how much yarn I have left to work with at the end. :)

wKrw5FK.jpg
Those would make awesome knee-highs. Very colorful.

trinfan wrote:
Those would make awesome knee-highs. Very colorful.

I know! I don't know if I'll make it, I have about 40 grams of yarn left. What I have knitted so far is approx 40 grams. So I can probably double their length and then bind off. :)
Either way, the colors are awesome, and they're gonna look great. ^^

Thank you! I'm excited to finish them, the hardest part is over. XD
I should probably do some knitting, since I'm stuck on writing, but I don't wanna get up. ^^;

I just found this little gem:

http://www.microrevolt.org/knitPro/

Although it doesn't customize things like color, you can upload an image and knit from the pattern it generates to work a design into your knitting!
That is amazing. o.o

If you knit regularly, always pick the 5:7 horizontal grid. Stitches on needles are wider than they are taller so if you pattern grid doesn't make up for it, the image will be slightly stretched when you knit it in most cases.

I think I will be using this to knit my pony blanket with.
Will this pony blanket feature a particular pony, or generic?

My plan is to do the main 6 of the My Little Pony show in squares. I guess it will be a granny square blanket!
Yay MLP granny squares! X3

>.>
<.<

Who is best pony?

*points at icon* (Nightmare) Rarity! :D

I haven't figured out what technique to use quite yet though. Intarsia is a popular method but it can get tedious fast. Each section requires a new strand/ball of yarn, so if I have a pattern where one row switches colors 6 times, I need 6 separate strands to make it work.

Double knitting might be more viable since I can carry my colored yarn throughout the knitting and will be invisible. Since I'll be knitting squares I won't have too much trouble with too much negative space and wasted yarn, the ponies will probably take up most of the square.

There's also duplicate stitching, which means sewing the design into the work after I finished knitting my squares. It will solve the problem of switching colors and carrying yarn over, but it's a tedious job.

I'm going to let this simmer for a little bit.
Sounds like a big undertaking- I am nowhere near the point of patterns and pony squares. I can barely switch colors at the end of a row. ^^;

That was me back in... September? :D The thing I love about knitting is that once it clicks in your head and you figure out how to do it, you can do it. You don't need to practice a thousand times, just work a few projects and boom, you leveled.

I'm really eager to see some of the stuff you've knitted, even if it's something super simple or a swatch or whatever! :) I feel like I'm just saturating the topic with all of my crap and leave no room for anyone else to share.
I'll see if I can get some stitches done tomorrow, then.

I learned how to do the Russian join. Yay!!

1523660_492382387549026_214929590_o.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01O3qC6GH8I
I do not have the patience or the hand-eye coordination to do that. XD

It literally took me only two minutes to do it. :P And it was my first time trying too! I don't think you give your own abilities enough credit. ;)

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Sanne's knitting thread (Image heavy)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus