Skip to main content

Forums » Art & Creativity » Sanne's knitting thread (Image heavy)

I wish I could knit, but I don't think I would be very good at it. My fine motor skills are piss poor and I can't hold my hands steady. >.< I do love the little hearts!
Sanne Topic Starter Moderator

Katia wrote:
I wish I could knit, but I don't think I would be very good at it. My fine motor skills are piss poor and I can't hold my hands steady. >.< I do love the little hearts!

You don't need steady hands! ;) My best friend's kid has a lot of motor skills issues and he can knit as well. If you have trouble managing the needles, you can always knit on a loom.

Look at the video Celestina posted. You see how she takes one thread, moves it over the other and then repeats that for each round? That's what you do on a loom too. It will hold the yarn in place and you use a special loom hook to move the yarn over each thread (you can see it on the pink and yellow looms on the right-hand side of the picture, there's two purple ones laying on the looms).

My first scarf was knitted on a loom because it's easier and you're less likely to make mistakes, the looms are just usually a little more expensive than regular knitting needles and you obviously have different sizes, so you're a little more limited if you only have 1 or 2 looms. With needles you have more flexibility with the width of your project. :)

So don't be discouraged by poor motor skills! Knitting is something a 5 year old child can do who still has a lot of skill to develop, so anybody can do it.

Wew, it's coming along so well! It keeps getting bigger and bigger. ;) When folded vertically, it works super awesome as a thick and warm scarf. When unfolded it's basically just a small blanket! Only downside will be the weight of this thing when I get to ship it...

1377370_429418757178723_1215299244_n.jpg

uyYUzF9.jpg

This thing is getting huuuuuuge! Already measuring past 30 inches in length! :)

My first time knitting socks/slippers!

The one on the left was my first try and turned out too large. It's quite loose on me. The one on the right is adjusted to fit me better (and also has much better stitching and no holes in it, I learned a lot!).

The cuffs are pretty low but can be adjusted to be longer or left out entirely. Or I can make fancier lower cuffs! :)

1412455_439462842840981_1697286881_o.jpg

Almost two months later, I'M FINALLY DONE WITH THE MAIN SCARF.

It's humongous. What you see in the image is a double fold, so it's twice as long as shown.

For some reason every apple turns out looking different. I'm abiding to the same pattern for each every single time, so I think I may be having a tension issue with the yarn while I work it.

In any case, I'm hoping to finish it by Monday so I can wash and dry it before it's being shipped off on the 14th! :)

2013-11-11-02-51-14-e1384135349843.jpg

2013-11-11-02-57-051-e1384135368362.jpg
Dragonfire Moderator

Yikes! That's a loooong scarf! You almost look like you're halfways to one of the old Dr Who monstrosities. :P How big is it in total?

I've been knitting for a few years. The last project I completed was the Ohm Shawl, although I don't have a picture of it. (I should remember to take some!) It's a bright purple fading into dark brown-black at the edges.

Current projects now are a stuffed pig - almost done, just have the last half of an ear and the tail to do - and a Rogue sweater. I've been working on Rogue on and off for two years, and this past August had only the last sleeve to seam in... and then decided I didn't like how the sleeves fit, and frogged 'em out last week to redo them in the round instead of flat. :P I'll probably finish it around February, or something, just in time for the weather around here to warm up again.

Dragonfire wrote:
Yikes! That's a loooong scarf! You almost look like you're halfways to one of the old Dr Who monstrosities. :P How big is it in total?

It's 142cms/56inches long and 35cms/13.7inches wide! Took me a looooong time to get it done. :P

Dragonfire wrote:
I've been knitting for a few years. The last project I completed was the Ohm Shawl, although I don't have a picture of it. (I should remember to take some!) It's a bright purple fading into dark brown-black at the edges.

Current projects now are a stuffed pig - almost done, just have the last half of an ear and the tail to do - and a Rogue sweater. I've been working on Rogue on and off for two years, and this past August had only the last sleeve to seam in... and then decided I didn't like how the sleeves fit, and frogged 'em out last week to redo them in the round instead of flat. :P I'll probably finish it around February, or something, just in time for the weather around here to warm up again.

I'd love to see some pictures! I'm still too new at the whole knitting thing to make anything like a sweater, but I've been thinking about making a poncho or a simple open vest type thing that's pretty easy to make on a knitting loom. Plushies are also something I've considered, but it seems they're easier to do with crocheting since most patterns are aimed at crochet.

Ermagerd! I'm finally about to wrap this up!

I've finished one side of the scarf:

fzohvQK.jpg

I have to repeat this process for the other side as well, BUT I'M GETTING SO CLOSE!
http://www.buzzpatrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/doctor-who-scarf.jpg >,> You could totally do one of these someday >,> *hides*

Zhi wrote:
http://www.buzzpatrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/doctor-who-scarf.jpg >,> You could totally do one of these someday >,> *hides*
Quote:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /wp-content/uploads/2012/09/doctor-who-scarf.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

:firefly-is-over:

QWTyjAw.jpg

FINALLY. ALL DONE!!

It has taken me two months to complete this project. But it is done, and I couldn’t be happier with it!!

It’s one part of my boyfriend’s care package. Upon inquiring “isn’t it too girly looking?” all he had to say was “no, it’s not girly enough!”. And this is why I love him so!

I’m super pleased. It’s probably a little unconventional because, hey, it’s not really a scarf and it’s not really a blanket, but hovering somewhere in between. That was entirely accidental.

picture-251.jpg

picture-248.jpg

picture-247.jpg

picture-245.jpg
<3
Dat, m'lady, looks much like a pashmina(assuming I spelled it right-- that's phonetic!), which you are wearing correctly in this instance. ;D

Excellent work though, and good on you for sticking to it even though it was such a large task to complete! *high-fives* You have gained 500xp and have leveled up! :star:
kim needs to give you an accolade
Copper_Dragon wrote:
Dat, m'lady, looks much like a pashmina(assuming I spelled it right-- that's phonetic!), which you are wearing correctly in this instance. ;D

Excellent work though, and good on you for sticking to it even though it was such a large task to complete! *high-fives* You have gained 500xp and have leveled up! :star:

I really like your new avatar, Copper. #bigfanofpokemanz

Sanne, your pash... Your sca... Your scarfmina turned out great. Keep it up, we'll make a Nord Tongue out of you yet. It should have been Sweetie Bot flavored.

SHOUT MASTERED: ICE FORM

rolled 1d20 and got 13
20 gets me dovahscarfie

haha weird. It worked fine when I looked it up. Probably rather easy to guess what it is though, the pattern for the original Tom Baker scarf

Sanne wrote:
Zhi wrote:
Quote:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /wp-content/uploads/2012/09/doctor-who-scarf.jpg on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

:firefly-is-over:

Zhi wrote:
haha weird. It worked fine when I looked it up. Probably rather easy to guess what it is though, the pattern for the original Tom Baker scarf

This would only be a matter of money to acquire the insane amounts of yarn necessary for an accurate replicate. And time. Lots of time. This would probably be the pattern to use.

To give you an impression of how much work it is according to this pattern I would have to knit 65 stitches for 1,052 rows. That's 68,380 stitches.

I'm not even sure how much yarn I'd need. The Applejack scarf I posted here already uses approximately 1,200 yards of yarn total (double threaded).
Sanne wrote:
Zhi wrote:

This would only be a matter of money to acquire the insane amounts of yarn necessary for an accurate replicate. And time. Lots of time. This would probably be the pattern to use.

To give you an impression of how much work it is according to this pattern I would have to knit 65 stitches for 1,052 rows. That's 68,380 stitches.

I'm not even sure how much yarn I'd need. The Applejack scarf I posted here already uses approximately 1,200 yards of yarn total (double threaded).

37.98888888888889 HOURS OF PURE KNITTING ANNHILATION

METAL AS FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDGE

You are on: Forums » Art & Creativity » Sanne's knitting thread (Image heavy)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus