Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » Furcadia and RP

TheLily

I have a huge problem, and I was hopin' that some of you nice folks could help me.

I role play on Furcadia, because I have a horrible tenancy to forget about forums based role plays. Now, this would be all well and good if I could find some people to play with outside of my real life friends on there. I've been reduced to persona and plain ol' chatting. Not that I don't enjoy those things, but I get bored.

Now, to address the advice I will get.

1. "Just post, someone will surely respond!"

This is rarely the case with me. I make posts that I find to be a decent length with words purdier than a new gun on the rack. I often get whispers telling me that I should post more, or get a better vocabulary. I assure you that I'm not daft and my vocabulary is just fine. I don't post lines like "looks around with her big bewbs thrust out to get the bois loking at her.". I can spell decently well, but I don't need to hump a thesaurus thank you. I can post para+, but that bores me. I generally settle for 7+ lines, depending on what I need to say.

I put effort into the setting too. I love writing setting - it's beautiful part of roleplay to help create the imaginary world.

2. Whisper/talk to people who have [Seeking RP] in their descriptions!

This is an excellent advice, don't get me wrong - the problem is that most people I've met with [Seeking RP] or the like are not actually interested. Either they're not in the mood when I message them, or I don't fit. That's cool, I've got eight active roleplay alts! Maybe one of them will fit! No? Well, I've got five retired characters, all different from one another.

Oh, you don't like them either? How about I take a name I've got floating around and fit them to your story? Oh, that doesn't fit... well okay.

Honestly I have thirteen characters that I could use. Each one different from the last. I love making characters, and I love trying to make them unique. I love trying on different personalities (for example, Nis'Tianes is ... insane to say the least. Lilura is a hard ass bitch and Affectionate is... well, Affectionate). I love trying on different looks.

I love to make flawed characters. The only ones that are Mary Sue-like are the ones that I don't role play with. They're persona characters.

3. Make unique characters and advertise!

I also do this. I have my characters hang around, I make sure they've not gone AFK, I look around for people who might be interesting.

The only messages I get are from people who like my character but want to change them/setting. I offer them another character, but they'll decline saying "No, I want this one to play with, but take her out of the 1940's!" or "Can you make her more aggressive?"

This bothers me, because while I'm not going to say I love every character that comes to play with me, if you come and ask ME to play with YOU, you should understand that this character is in this setting for a reason. I like her/him in that place. I like their continuity. I don't like having to remember multiple stories for the same character.

TL;DR
Why won't you people role play with me? I'm AWESOME.

Any advice on gettin' people interested would be nice. I'm real nice, and not too daft and I have tonnes of time on my hands.

(Also, sorry for the long post. I'm really in an excited mood and I type lots when I'm excited.)
Gonna be blunt, seeing as I've been hunting rp myself on Furcadia on and off outside my guild.

That's Furcadia RP for you. Either you need to change your character to suit other people, or (when you don't need to) you can't find anyone suitable to play with. Not entirely sure what piece of advise to give you, aside from "What you see is what you get". Guilds are a hit and miss too, sadly-- you either find some that are almost perfect but not quite in one spot that bars you from playing a character, or you find one where you could play your chara there with little issues but the quality of the place isn't that appealing to you as the player.

I can't name anything specifically, but there are those rare gems somewhere in the rough if you're dilligent, and quite a few of us 'round here are/were Furc players. Y'could always bug one of us if you want to. I'm sure we wouldn't mind.
Ilmarinen Moderator

This is bizarre. I can find RP almost any time I log on. I just go to a place with people (in a public setting of course) and post at them, or I get people whispering me looking for it, or I think of a mini-plot to start and whisper any relevant characters.
Sounds like your in a similar situation to me. I've gotten to the point where I do one of 2 things. I either RP with people on my friends list...when their on...or hang out in my own dream. My dream...my rules. Don't enter less your made to RP.
I think one of Furcadia's greatest draws is also one of Furcadia's biggest drawBACKS.

They advertise the 'Let you imagination soar!' slogan which is wonderful for us creative folks! But at the same time, everyone is trying to be whatever they want and have certain criteria in their head about what they want in other characters, settings, play styles, etc. which can make it very hard for others to get the ball rolling when it comes down to actually finding RP. And everyone is so spread out in their different dreams (even I'm guilty on this one) because they want other people to come play under their terms. Most people want things their way while a handful of people try to fit into that.

It's a conundrum for the ages. But like Copper sad, I'm sure you could prod some of us Furcadia folk on here and pull some life from us! Creative freedom doesn't have to be a fatal flaw.
Hramn (played by Yuka)

Heimdall wrote:
This is bizarre. I can find RP almost any time I log on. I just go to a place with people (in a public setting of course) and post at them, or I get people whispering me looking for it, or I think of a mini-plot to start and whisper any relevant characters.

This. I rarely openly whisper people for RP, currently have a few RP's pending and never really need to hunt for it.

Sounds like you might be looking in the wrong place?
Same. If I want rp, I can almost always find it. Sometimes, Ive got too much pending and have to put some people on hold for a while. I have had a few chars that I personally really liked, but did not do so well as far as attracting attention for rp. I play mostly male characters, because I seem cursed more or less when I make a female. I almost never get whispered (While some of my male chars get hounded constantly) And.. when my female char does get whispered it's some 9 foot tall all black with red eyes super dom all powerful slaver. -,- I'm on most often as Paen here lately, send me a whisper and I'll see if one of my characters would mesh with one of yours. Mine are primarily fantasy/ancient historic styled settings however.
Sanne Moderator

I don't get much RP anymore because of two things...

1. I am usually gone 12 hours a day due to work, so when I come home I usually don't have the energy to RP or no time.

2. I've become too picky. A lot of people whisper me for RP but when I look at their char, there's just no way the two chars could do anything more than just saying 'Hello' and be on their way. Sometimes I like the char but I hate the roleplayer's approach to the character. i.e. A slaver character who only punishes but never rewards and the player OOCly thinks this is THE way to get someone to submit ICly. It dun' work that way! Or a fantasy based char who can cause the destruction of the earth and is hardly even fatigued doing so, so lacking serious logic action=consequence. Of course these are some pretty extreme examples, but even in smaller doses this ruins the character for me.

Usually I roleplay with Senny or Zhi because we've been friends for years and know pretty much what the other does/wants/has, so we can tune our chars a little to each other if necessary.

I've found that if I blindly accept someone's invitation to RP with them, I often end up severely annoyed. My idea of fun has grown into something a little more serious than what the average RPer offers, so if something isn't to my liking I lose interest. This has made me very selective and causes me to get less RP.

Perhaps more people feel like that, or perhaps you're unknowingly selective too?
Throwing a post out, to me, is normally the best way to get roleplay. However, a single post about how your character is sitting down and looking around doesn't always get you anywhere. I find if you post at someone, include their name and put it in bold, the person you're posting at doesn't have a chance to say no. Of course, they can still say no but you're approaching them in an IC manner, without giving them the time to reject you by whispering them first (kind of sneaky I guess?.) What if they don't reply? Send them a nice whisper, if they're not available, oh well, maybe ICly your character got ignored and you can try it on someone else.
If you seriously have an issue with getting zero RP with any of your many characters take a look at what you play. Could there be something similar across the board why people aren't RPing with you?

Try discussing plots out ahead of time. There are numerous times I have things fall flat.. when you do get roleplay and you're past the initial introduction sit back and see where the roleplay can go. Discuss it OOCly with the person and see how their character might react to being put into this situation or that situation, see if they'll meld together somehow. Sometimes it's better to build a basic storyline and then act it out, then blindly trying to make one as you go along.

Not to mention.. leaving nice comments on guestbooks. I've noticed Senny doesn't ever seem to have an issue finding roleplay and she also leaves nice guestbooks on characters that she's interested in. (I noticed this, because they tend to be characters I'm interested in roleplaying with as well. :P)
I stalk imaginarium. Whenn i see someone with a desc that i like, i whisper and ask them for rp. Cast you line enough and you will eventually catch something. If that doesn't work i start visiting random dreams in imag and asking people for rp in there.

Alternatively, i am ALWAYS up for rp. But i am going to be gone monday thru friday lol. Just whisper my main alt sometime, anastasia meier.
P.s. sorry for capitalization errors and stuff. Typing on a nook and it is too bothersome to continously click the alt button xD
Hramn (played by Yuka)

Zhi wrote:
Same. If I want rp, I can almost always find it. Sometimes, Ive got too much pending and have to put some people on hold for a while. I have had a few chars that I personally really liked, but did not do so well as far as attracting attention for rp. I play mostly male characters, because I seem cursed more or less when I make a female. I almost never get whispered (While some of my male chars get hounded constantly) And.. when my female char does get whispered it's some 9 foot tall all black with red eyes super dom all powerful slaver. -,- I'm on most often as Paen here lately, send me a whisper and I'll see if one of my characters would mesh with one of yours. Mine are primarily fantasy/ancient historic styled settings however.

I second this, and some of the points in it.
My male characters get way more RP/whispers than my female ones, even my most long-running alt, Pulchra.
I'm on most often as either Fulco or Hramn; Fulco is fantasy/early medieval and Hramn is formerly futuristic gone low and medieval-level technology/fantasy. Both of them can blend into settings from around early medieval to 1900 ideally.
Dragonfire Moderator

I don't tend to have a lot of problem finding roleplaying partners, either - usually I'll get a couple of interested whispers whenever I take out one of my main three lasses. (I don't usually play dudes, personally; ladies seem to mesh much better with my brain.) I'm kind of shy about talking to people, so usually I'll sit back and let others contact me. I do have a whisper friendly tag in my descriptions that explain that, pointing to an image that says 'just shy, not antisocial, you can talk to me', which seems to work really well in inciting people to talk to me. :)

The problem for me, lately, has more been finding the wanting to actually write. I've been working on my block, but it's slow going - so sometimes I turn people down, or tell them they have to be patient with me if they want to play, and that just doesn't work for some folks. Which is fine! I understand how those plot bunnies can get, hehe.
First forum post, whoo?

I agree on my males get more attention than my females- but I don't count, because all my mains are males. (Cresenzo, Volkaan, Prince Nagini, Shojah Galvez)
What I usually do, if no one has contacted me (I, for whatever reason, seem to collect a lot of callers.. perhaps because I have 'OMFG IM SO WHISPER FRIENDLY' plastered in my descriptions of RPR pages :p I'm just a derp, and I truly do love talking and plotting) is I'll find someone I like or two, and ask if I can post at them, if they say yes, then I do it!
I know you said this hasn't been working for you, but perhaps you need to try some new places? As intimidating as is sounds, The Golden Tether is TRULY one of the best places I have ever been to RP. Compared to other dreams, forums, and even individual RPing. There are such a diverse group of people there, it's almost hard to chose? But then again, I'm not picky as long as your character isn't Blood McStab with a fifteen foot dong, you know? Some people have odd or boring looking characters, and end up being good at RP!

With that in mind, if any of you ever see me on, feel free to hit me up! I always try to work in people who ask me for RP <3 I might be busy with TGT staff stuff and whatnot, but the moment I'm able, I'll come find you!
Prince wrote:
I know you said this hasn't been working for you, but perhaps you need to try some new places? As intimidating as is sounds, The Golden Tether is TRULY one of the best places I have ever been to RP. Compared to other dreams, forums, and even individual RPing. There are such a diverse group of people there, it's almost hard to chose? But then again, I'm not picky as long as your character isn't Blood McStab with a fifteen foot dong, you know? Some people have odd or boring looking characters, and end up being good at RP!

Aaah, you're terribly cute. XD
We have to keep in mind, and I don't want to turn this into a discussion about TGT, that not everyone is comfortable playing in an 'adult orientated dream.' It's all about what your preferences are or what sort of time-line / area your character fits in to
But Prince brings up an excellent point, have you tried RPing in other dreams? If it doesn't work out in one have you tried looking at others? You could try to RP on the forums here, in RPR, even if it isn't your style you could start here and bring it over to Furcadia.
Hramn (played by Yuka)

Imaginarium is supposedly good (I haven't left TGT for... can't remember, ages), but what seems to be the problem there is that the best dreams seem to be sparsely populated, and there are lots of repeats in the same genre instead of say, collaborating and making one catch-all dream. Not sure if that made sense or not.
I try xP

Imaginarium did have some good ones, Stalingrad, Big Smoke, The Wasteland(now dead, I can't even remember the name or the RAH now. Terryrizer or something), Primrose Square, Tropical nexus, I think? I'd have to take a stroll. Those are the ones I remember because they interested me- and yet were almost always empty, it happens more often that not, sadly. RAHs loose faith because thier dreams are empty, they start idling and not showing up..
I seem to have the problem of not having enough time for everyone, or everyone who wants to RP with me all conveniently log in at the same time.
Hramn (played by Yuka)

Prince wrote:
I seem to have the problem of not having enough time for everyone, or everyone who wants to RP with me all conveniently log in at the same time.

Or differing timezones. Some people whose characters I admire log in right before I'm going to sleep and vice versa.
Rodric Helmstrass (played anonymously)

I can't play on stalingrad... I really... just can't....

I'm too much of a history buff, and the few players that I met in there were quite rude. The patches are nice enough though, and if they get organized, I'm sure the dream can go somewhere.

The current places I rp are Darien City, Helmstrass Kingdom (herderp obviously), Silvaria, Ravenhead, as well as Durmstrang (harrypotterahoy!). Though, I'm sure if you want to find rp, you can definitely come to Helmstrass if you want, Apparently RP happens there on a daily basis, and it's almost always certain that I'm available, now that my family business had been taken care of, and I'm generally stress free.
If anything, don't get yourself down about not getting enough RP. Just keep at it, don't give up and eventually you'll find something. Most of the time there are people just like you looking for roleplay too! I know, waiting can be frustrating, but this is the opportunity to click people, leave guestbook signatures saying that your interested in roleplay and if they are interested too, they'll contact you!
Maybe us Furc folk would benefit from a general Furcadia group here on RPR? Just an idea!

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » Furcadia and RP

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus