Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Puzzle 1 Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Ilmarinen Moderator

Well, it's the top of the hour, so we got a lot of baddies to hack through before we can try anything! I'll try to prepare a list of options!
Yessiree! I'll have to take a dinner break in an hour or so, but until then, I'm furiously working at stone facts and magma types and land levels! MOUNTAIN RESEARCH TIME
Ilmarinen Moderator

Heimdall wrote:
Self-Care Valley is 5106 feet above sea level. MT Ovation is 12337, Mt. Recognition is 6207, and Mt. Care is 5586. This means, I believe, that the prominence of Ovation is 7231, Recognition is 1101, and Care's is 480, I think.

I tried all these numbers, as well as 12843 and 7737. I also tried just "Self-Care Valley," since that seems to be the key saddle itself. No bueno.
200.gif
Ilmarinen Moderator

Wait. Hol up. There are THREE base measurements here--I kinda spaced and didn't see that the Sea of Prose is actually higher than regular sea level... however, I'm not sure by how much. Staring at it more...
Ilmarinen Moderator

Hm, but Self-Care Valley has different heights, when measured in different places, and we don't know if the given measurement of 5106 ASL applies to the red saddle or the blue saddle.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Alright, I'm looking into this here http://www.surgent.net/highpoints/prominence.html

This is saying that the area's highest mountain--Ovation, for our little area here--has a prominence defined just by its height above sea level. It's the shorter mountains that have prominences defined by relative heights from their saddles,
Ilmarinen Moderator

In this case, Ovation is the parent of both Recognition and Care, I believe.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Hm. In addition, the black lines that point to Recognition and Care descend from the top, rather than rise from the bottom. I was thinking maybe that means that was how far down from Ovation's peak those peaks were, but the numbers don't seem to agree with me. If that were the case, since Recognition is a higher summit than Care, its number would be smaller. And that isn't the case.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Maybe we can't count The saddle between Ovation and Recognition as being part of Self-Care Valley at all, since it's further away. If that's the case, then we can ignore the blue line and focus on the red.
I'm sorry but I do have something to say
Dumdutain1.png

I feel like some of the words are bolded

the D in old

and

dawing

my way

want
and maybe more

IDK it just makes me feel a bit odd
Ilmarinen Moderator

It's possible :)

Emnunydae1.png

I'm seeing some HEIGHTS here....
Ilmarinen Moderator

Ah nuts, that's the height of Ovation in the earlier era.
hey I want to help more

can you please simply the research so far. I kinda don't understand
Ilmarinen Moderator

We believe that this puzzle is about the "prominence" of three of the mountains southeast of the Sea of Prose.
R_map_detail_2x_with_annotation.png
Mountain_Topography.png

Prominence is a way of describing a mountain's height by comparing it to nearby areas, rather than just measuring it from sea level. http://www.surgent.net/highpoints/prominence.html
oh thank you!
Ilmarinen Moderator

The problem currently is that we don't know what elevation the Sea of Prose is at. We know the heights of the mountains from the Sea of Prose, and we know the height of the valley between them from sea level.
Ilmarinen Moderator

We also know that Mount Ovation has erupted at some point and used to be taller, but I'm unsure if that's related to this or not--just something to keep in mind. We may need to use its earlier height instead of the one on the survey.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

I'mma drop a hint here...
Quote:
Ah nuts, that's the height of Ovation in the earlier era.

You don't have any heights from an earlier era. All documents are from within the 1000 year span of the Era of the Basilisk.
I've tried 3914.55 feet, 3914.55, and 3914.

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Puzzle 1 Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus