Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Puzzle 1 Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

do yall know what those unmarked hills on the the top of the sea is?
Ilmarinen Moderator

More of the mountain range--I don't think it's relevant here, but you can see the rest of them on the continent map on the research page. :)
oh thanks I was just thinking about it.
I'm a bit worried though, what if we're going in the wrong way
Ilmarinen Moderator

Oh--and I started trying to convert those prominences to meters, but I didn't finish before the monsters rolled up. The puzzle doesn't mention conversions, so I would *think* both would be acceptable, but you never know.
Ilmarinen Moderator

What do you mean?
I'm just parinoid
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

There's no penalty for trying wrong answers. :)
Ilmarinen Moderator

I may go smash my face on farming for a while. XD
Ilmarinen Moderator

Alright, I tried 7737 feet, 986 feet, and 1607 feet again, as well as "7737 feet, 986 feet, 1607 feet" and 3443.3 feet (the average). No good.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Ahem
When subtracting saddle from peak, start from the same place.
Ilmarinen Moderator

I thoooought I had been starting everything off from the Sea of Prose level... *thiiink*
Ilmarinen Moderator

image0.png
Ilmarinen Moderator

I tweaked it to be a little more readable--to me, at least--but it required making an adjustment I'm not sure about. The lines that were measuring Recognition and Care were descending from the top of Ovation, which made me worry that they were meant to represent the height difference between Ovation's peaks and their lower peaks... however, Recognition is taller here than Care, and if the numbers WERE differentials between Ovation and the smaller mountains, those numbers should be switched, with Recognition's being smaller since it's closer to Ovation's peak. So I think that this was just done for legibility, but I'm not 100% confident about that.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Another concern is that, again, we're only given one measurement for Self-Care Valley, but the survey implies that it has two different elevations in these different locations, and I'm not sure which one this elevation corresponds to--so I've just been using it for everything. XD
Ilmarinen Moderator

If the listed numbers for Recognition and Care ARE meant to be distances from Ovation's peak, then Recognition is 6,130 feet above the Sea of Prose and Care is 6,751 feet above SoP, which would make their prominences 1,530 feet and 2,151 feet respectively. That doesn't vibe for me with the way the graphic looks, but if we have the chance and no better options, we can try those.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Okay, so ... should we measure the mountains from sea level by adding 506 feet, but then measure the valley/saddle from SoP level (4600 feet)? That would yield different results for sure. I don't see how it would be an accurate measurement of the elevation differential, but it's worth a shot.

So, to try when the way is clear:
8243 feet
2113 feet
1492 feet
Dragonfire Moderator

Hnnng. I just ran the math on Mt Recognition's prominence (in relation to Mt Ovation), and got 1607 ft, too.
Dragonfire Moderator

...Mt Ovation, though, being the tallest point we're considering, would have prominence equal to its own height. I think?
Ilmarinen Moderator

Dragonfire wrote:
...Mt Ovation, though, being the tallest point we're considering, would have prominence equal to its own height. I think?
I believe so, and I do think I tried it, but I can't recall--and there's no way it'd be that simple. XD

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Puzzle 1 Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus