Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Way Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the Way Symbol in Epic Week 2021. Please stay on topic. Remember, these riddles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. Research is not cheating; it is expected!

Click here to visit the location of the Way Symbol
Dragonfire Moderator

That looks an awful lot like a Mandalorian's helmet as the symbol, I think?
Ilmarinen Moderator

Absolutely! And in the show their saying is "this is the way."
What did they call old animation anyways. Rotoscoping, light/shadowboxing?
Dragonfire Moderator

Those're old animation techniques, yeah! But in the context of this symbol, it's probably something to do with The Mandalorian. Does... animation come up anywheres in that show? Haven't watched it yet myself.

(Not that that's ever stopped me with riddle-hunting, but hey.)
They have a really interesting way of filming the Mandalorian for some shots, some of the sets are completely computer-generated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufp8weYYDE8&ab_channel=Insider
Dragonfire Moderator

Prescience wrote:
They have a really interesting way of filming the Mandalorian for some shots, some of the sets are completely computer-generated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ufp8weYYDE8&ab_channel=Insider

Hmmm. The way the StageCraft system works does sound like it's relevant to these clues!

I wonder if it's something like 'parallax', then?
Could just be StageCraft! Also remember that baby Yoda is actually a puppet, so puppetry, Supermarionation, or 'some other form of puppetry' could be the answer too.
you forgot the part where it is on every wallflower floor and ceiling

the only thing I can think of is shadows
Maybe its just 'Green'.
Dragonfire Moderator

7654melody7654 wrote:
you forgot the part where it is on every wallflower floor and ceiling

the only thing I can think of is shadows

I think that's why the StageCraft technique mentioned earlier is important - it sort of replaces the need for green screens to make settings that don't actually exist, including walls, floors, and ceilings.

It could definitely have something to do with the lighting techniques involved, though.
Could it be... Holo-deck? >.>

As that's something in Star Wars, and also I think a type of lighting technique? I'm not sure, though.
The Alien Overlord's first clue is: On every wall, floor and ceiling" projection?
Ilmarinen Moderator

Holodeck is Star Trek, not Star Wars :)

I'm reading more about the LED system here! https://nofilmschool.com/ilm-stagecraft-mandalorian

I tried LED, LED screens, parallax, StageCraft, Industrial Light and Magic, and green.
Ilmarinen Moderator

I also tried Unreal.

It may also be LED panels? They were certainly on many surfaces when filming Mando!
Is there one for specifically reversing cinematic takes? I know that's how they used to film the Force scenes
What about that type of light being cast through cutouts on a wall I don't remember the name, but you'd spin the walls of the device and it would make shapes move on the ceiling or wall based off the cutouts
Dragonfire Moderator

fiesch wrote:
What about that type of light being cast through cutouts on a wall I don't remember the name, but you'd spin the walls of the device and it would make shapes move on the ceiling or wall based off the cutouts

Oh! That's a zoetrope, I think?

Or it could be referring to stop motion animation, which was used to animate some of the walkers in the show. But I wouldn't call that hardly forgotten, hrrrm.
"Forgotten name" does feel like it's significant, doesn't it. IMDB says exactly one animator on the Mandalorian is uncredited but that feels like going down the wrong track.
Dragonfire Moderator

Yeah, it really does. Hrm.

The walls and ceilings thing might refer to "The Volume" - that's what they called the virtual stage with everything covered in LED panels.

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Way Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus