Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Moon Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the Moon Symbol in Epic Week 2021. Please stay on topic. Remember, these riddles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. Research is not cheating; it is expected!

Click here to visit the location of the Moon Symbol
Ilmarinen Moderator

Ooh, this has gotta be Sailor Moon, though I know next to nothing about it!
Dragonfire Moderator

Heimdall wrote:

I don't think so, not on this one - Ozma's a major character in L Frank Baum's Oz books.
Ilmarinen Moderator

Dragonfire wrote:
Heimdall wrote:

I don't think so, not on this one - Ozma's a major character in Frank L Baum's Oz books.

Ooh--I was getting hits for "sailor ozma" but that maaaay just be fan stuff--I didn't look too closely XD
As far as I can tell with a quick google search, Sailor Ozma is just a fan created thing. The only canon Ozma I'm aware of is the Princess of Oz in the Wizard of Oz books, though you have to read a few in before she shows up as she's...had some issues before Dorothy shows up. The princess' constant companion as she goes on her adventure to discover her true identity is the pumpkin headed character rather obviously called Jack Pumpkinhead.
Ozma is also the name of RWBY character, a character doomed to transcend his body in death and share a soul with a new host with each life.

His ‘constant companion’ is his staff, a walking stick with great magical power.

As a matter of fact, this would coincide with the symbol of the moon, which is largely the title card of the show.
Tar

I'm betting this one is more Oz related! In The Emerald City of Oz, Princess Ozma declares Dorothy to be an official princess of Oz and her "constant companion". So we're probably looking at Dorothy herself.
Quote:
Dorothy was delighted, yet not altogether surprised, for she had clung to the hope that Ozma would be kind enough to grant her request. When, indeed, had her powerful and faithful friend refused her anything?

"But you must not call me 'Princess'," she said; "for after this I shall live on the little farm with Uncle Henry and Aunt Em, and princesses ought not to live on farms."

"Princess Dorothy will not," replied Ozma with her sweet smile. "You are going to live in your own rooms in this palace, and be my constant companion."

p.s. might end up being unrelated, but Ozma also has an exploration ship called the Crescent Moon!
Claine Moderator

I might bet getting a little ahead of myself but Sumi Shimamoto has credits both as Dorothy from Wizard of Oz and a very minor role in Sailor Moon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumi_Shimamoto
https://sailormoon.fandom.com/wiki/Akane_Gushiken
After a search I found the following regarding Ozma's constant companion:

In The Emerald City of Oz Ozma arranges, at Dorothy's request, for Dorothy and her family to move into the palace, and Ozma declares her an official princess of Oz and her "constant companion"

So It is my belief Dorothy is Ozma's actual "constant Companion" In The Lost Princess of Oz the first page mentions that Ozma loves Dorothy very much and by page two says that Dorothy is the only one privileged to enter Ozma's rooms without an invitation. In turn, Dorothy often represents Ozma when some task takes the latter away from the Emerald City.

With this in hand it made me ponder about the character Dorothy but also wonder why the second clue is related to the number fifteen. Thus I googled a bit more and discovered that the actress Judy Garland was 15 years old when she debutted on the film of wizzard of Oz

While that would cover the first clue of the constant companion and give a hint of the meaning of the number 15th I goggled a bit more and found out that the creator of Sailor moon Naoko Takeuchi was born on march 15 in 1967!

https://es.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naoko_Takeuchi

Also while maybe farfetched according to the moon phases the full moon comes after 15 days after the new moon...so while it might be just a lost bullet it's curious that the number 15 is linked to the moon both by the moon phases and the day of birth of the creator of sailor moon. (Character that has a moon scepter if people didn't know XD)

By the way according to https://mooncalendar.astro-seek.com/moon-phase-day-15-march-1967

The phase of the moon at that date was Waxing crescent with the Taurus moon sign.
Wow, so exciting! I really like the theory about RWBY, though. I haven't seen that one yet. If it was Sailor Moon I might be in luck! Lol.

Does the staff in RWBY have a name? 🤔
I looked it up after someone mentioned it cause I hadn't seen RWBY at all. It's called Long Memory.

Though all of this is still just speculation until we get those other two clues! Was no one born on the 15th?!
Okay, so, there are actually two or three staffs Ozma uses! And The Long Memory was one he had in an incarnation with a different name, though he does use it after that as well.Od it could be that or his scepter, but I think The Long Memory is the only one with an actual name. :D
Then again it could be Dorothy Gale or one of her nicknames, if she has any. I only read the first two books of the Wizard of Oz series, and saw the movies. :I
I still think it may be both wizzard of oz and sailor moon related also digging more about the number 15th and its relation to the moon , it seems that the japanese had this celebration named named little new year that goes as follows:

In Japan, January 15 is known as 小正月 (Koshōgatsu), or “Little New Year.” Before Japan adopted the Gregorian calendar, Koshōgatsu always coincided with the first full moon of the new year, falling on the same day as the Chinese Lantern Festival.

Source: https://www.cheng-tsui.com/blog/why-doesn%E2%80%99t-japan-celebrate-the-lunar-new-year#:~:text=Kosh%C5%8Dgatsu%3A%20Little%20New%20Year&text=In%20Japan%2C%20January%2015%20is,as%20the%20Chinese%20Lantern%20Festival.
I tried Princess Dorothy, Dorothy Gale, Dorothy, and The Long Memory earlier. They didn't work, although I don't actually know if anything will until we have all the clues.
Dragonfire Moderator

Yeah, we definitely need those clues open! Does anyone know of anyone with a birthday on the fifteenth of a month that we could gently pull over here? :D
Shinyrainbowlithogra wrote:
I tried Princess Dorothy, Dorothy Gale, Dorothy, and The Long Memory earlier. They didn't work, although I don't actually know if anything will until we have all the clues.

We're definitely going to need more clues.
Clearly no one has ever or will ever be born on the 15th and thus all hope is lost.
Cass Moderator

Got my friend to unlock it ahh! <3

:O IS THIS STUDIO GHIBLI?
Cass Moderator

"Dorothy, the Wizard, and their party enter the previously unknown communities of Thi and Herku. The citizens of Thi are ruled by the High Coco-Lorum (really the King, but the people do not know it) and repeat the same story about the Herkus: they keep giants for their slaves. In the Great Orchard between Thi and Herku, the party enjoys a variety of fruits. Button-Bright eats from the one peach tree in the orchard. When he reaches the peach's center he discovers it to be made of gold. He pockets the gold peach pit to show Dorothy, Betsy, and Trot later – despite warnings from the local animals that the evil Ugu the Shoemaker has enchanted it.

Once the magic tools are recovered, the conquering search party turns their attention to finding Ozma. The Little Pink Bear reveals that Ozma is being carried in Button-Bright's jacket pocket, where he placed the gold peach pit. The Wizard opens it with a knife, and Ozma is released from where Ugu had imprisoned her. She was kidnapped by Ugu when she came upon him stealing her and the Wizard's magic instruments."
Claine Moderator

Peach in Japanese is Momo
This character has it twice in their name

https://sailormoon.fandom.com/wiki/Momoko_Momohara_(anime)

It even uses the Kanji for Peach

But I don't see how is connects to the first clue

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Moon Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus