Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Moon Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Cass wrote:
"Dorothy, the Wizard, and their party enter the previously unknown communities of Thi and Herku. The citizens of Thi are ruled by the High Coco-Lorum (really the King, but the people do not know it) and repeat the same story about the Herkus: they keep giants for their slaves. In the Great Orchard between Thi and Herku, the party enjoys a variety of fruits. Button-Bright eats from the one peach tree in the orchard. When he reaches the peach's center he discovers it to be made of gold. He pockets the gold peach pit to show Dorothy, Betsy, and Trot later – despite warnings from the local animals that the evil Ugu the Shoemaker has enchanted it.

Once the magic tools are recovered, the conquering search party turns their attention to finding Ozma. The Little Pink Bear reveals that Ozma is being carried in Button-Bright's jacket pocket, where he placed the gold peach pit. The Wizard opens it with a knife, and Ozma is released from where Ugu had imprisoned her. She was kidnapped by Ugu when she came upon him stealing her and the Wizard's magic instruments."

Wow. This is interesting. I don't remember this story. Where did you pull it from?
Princess...peach...its starting to sound something more like Nintendo.
Hmm. That last clue is quite the wrench. To my knowledge there's neither an ocean nor a moon princes in the Oz books. The land of Oz is surrounded by a deadly desert on all sides which protects it from outsiders.
Tar

Dndmama wrote:
Hmm. That last clue is quite the wrench. To my knowledge there's neither an ocean nor a moon princes in the Oz books. The land of Oz is surrounded by a deadly desert on all sides which protects it from outsiders.

This is exactly the issue I've been running into, making me wonder if it's not in fact referring to Ozma of Oz at all - but goodness, that'd make the first clue a very sneaky red herring! I've been looking up potential moon princesses in any and all adaptations and even those who could be considered as such even if not by name - honestly, Oz barely has any moon-related lore and characters at all...

There's also no notable sea travel to speak of, nor anyone described as an "absolute peach" that I can find (in any manner, shape, or form - just those probably unrelated tidbits about peaches that have already been found).

I suppose it's worth throwing Captain Samuel Salt of the Crescent Moon in there for the heck of it.
Dragonfire Moderator

It doesn't necessarily have to be an ocean of water to be an ocean - notably the Sea-of-Dust in the Darkangel books (which take place on the moon) is very sea-like except for being made of, well, dust. :P Possibly the desert in Oz could also be an ocean if looked at the right way.

But Ozma really is the tricky bit. I guess it could be another Ozma, not of Oz - but the question is, who?
Ozma's constant companion could just refer to the name Dorothy. There's certainly been more than one of those throughout literature. Such that instead of attributing peach and moon princes to Oz we simply link it with the name Dorothy or Gale.
Since ozma and Dorothy are both princess I think the first clue refers to a princess rather than something strictly from oz. The second clue says its a peach which only makes me think of princess peach from the mario series...though the ocean bit it could be referred something not strictly a body of water but maybe space like the stars...so it could be a spaceship.
Dragonfire Moderator

0089 wrote:
Since ozma and Dorothy are both princess I think the first clue refers to a princess rather than something strictly from oz. The second clue says its a peach which only makes me think of princess peach from the mario series...though the ocean bit it could be referred something not strictly a body of water but maybe space like the stars...so it could be a spaceship.

For what it's worth, riddles have not historically included more than one series/franchise/area of concern. Usually it's just one subject.
Tar

Dragonfire wrote:
It doesn't necessarily have to be an ocean of water to be an ocean - notably the Sea-of-Dust in the Darkangel books (which take place on the moon) is very sea-like except for being made of, well, dust. :P Possibly the desert in Oz could also be an ocean if looked at the right way.

Oh, this is so true! That led me to this bit of information on allthetropes:
Quote:
In The Road to Oz, the fifth book of the Oz series, Dorothy, Toto, Button-Bright, Polychrome, and the Shaggy Man travel across the Deadly Desert to Oz in a "sand boat", which is described as "a sleigh with sails and a rudder".

Button-Bright is the one who discovers the golden peach pit, but the boat was made by Johnny Dooit when the Shaggy Man called upon him. I'd try all of these names once the way is clear again!
I'm leaning towards Button-Bright right now. He ate the peach that Ozma was discovered in and he's one of her constant companions. Also, he is often described as wearing a sailor suit.
Also, in case 'Button-Bright' doesn't work, this is his full name:

Saladin Paracelsus de Lambertine Evagne von Smith
MacieLightfoot

Moon-craft.
Tar

I'm incredibly stumped!
Yea, me too. That whole moon princess thing has me lost. I've looked up Ozma. The only other Ozma's google is offering me is the band and the SETI project. None of which have to do with peaches or crossing seas.
Dndmama wrote:
Cass wrote:
"Dorothy, the Wizard, and their party enter the previously unknown communities of Thi and Herku. The citizens of Thi are ruled by the High Coco-Lorum (really the King, but the people do not know it) and repeat the same story about the Herkus: they keep giants for their slaves. In the Great Orchard between Thi and Herku, the party enjoys a variety of fruits. Button-Bright eats from the one peach tree in the orchard. When he reaches the peach's center he discovers it to be made of gold. He pockets the gold peach pit to show Dorothy, Betsy, and Trot later – despite warnings from the local animals that the evil Ugu the Shoemaker has enchanted it.

Once the magic tools are recovered, the conquering search party turns their attention to finding Ozma. The Little Pink Bear reveals that Ozma is being carried in Button-Bright's jacket pocket, where he placed the gold peach pit. The Wizard opens it with a knife, and Ozma is released from where Ugu had imprisoned her. She was kidnapped by Ugu when she came upon him stealing her and the Wizard's magic instruments."

Wow. This is interesting. I don't remember this story. Where did you pull it from?

This seems to be the plot for one of the Oz books, The Lost Princess of Oz!

Based on the plot summary and as someone who carried the peach that had Ozma inside with him, has anyone tried Button-Bright?
Tar

We have! I threw in all possible names and references I could glean from our sleuthing so far, no go...
Claine Moderator

The second clue may refer to Momotaro and the third may relate to Princess Kaguya (The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter) both of which are Japanese folklore. The story Sailor Moon has roots in The Tale of the Bamboo Cutter - they're both about Moon princesses sent to earth.

But I have no idea how it all links together. And it has no connection to the first clue.
I thought about that too! I couldn’t connect Momotaro with Princess Kaguya either... there’s Kubo and the Two Strings since it borrows from both, and there’s an element of magic tools they need to collect there (like in the The Lost Princess of Oz), but it might be an even further reach.

It wouldn’t hurt to try Kubo though?
Dndmama wrote:
Also, in case 'Button-Bright' doesn't work, this is his full name:

Saladin Paracelsus de Lambertine Evagne von Smith

Wow, that's some Pippi Longstocking or Radical Edward level stuff!
So, I remembered that there's also a character/manga/anime called Wedding Peach, which is a magical girl anime similar to Sailor Moon. I couldn't find any similarities in the voices actors, though, so it's probably not that. But sticking with the fact that this symbol and its clues are brought to us by Adorable Battle Girl... It might be worth consideration, at least.

Also, when it says that about bringing the moon princess across the sea, couldn't it mean, possibly - bringing Sailor Moon across the sea from Japan? Hypothetically. :D I think that was Kodansha, if my information is correct.

I really like the Ozma and Dorothy and Button-Bright theory, though. :D

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2021 » Moon Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus