Skip to main content

Forums » RP Discussion » ‘Slice of Life’ Community

Yo,

I was just curious to reach out and see how many fellow folks out there like the Slice of Life themed RP? I was hoping to get connected with some like minded peeps and make some friends, hopefully some future RP partners too.

While I ab-so-lutely understand the appeal of wanting to be in a world so completely unlike your own, doing things that you could never possibly do, I honestly find it really intriguing to live… kind of like a double life through “obtainable” characters doing “obtainable” things.

Now, that doesn’t mean I dislike high fantasy and don’t indulge, and it also doesn’t mean I like RPing Beth at the office desk making copies of the new phone list for everyone… a healthy mix is my most favorite, I suppose. “Normal” everyday life, but with like hidden supernatural existence is my niche. Ya dig?
“Yeah man, I dig!” Darrell says.

I have a few Modern/Modern-Historical SoL characters, some with rather developed storylines, and enjoy writing them as ‘alternatives’ to my life-path and experiences. It sort of gives one a chance to ‘be’ somebody else in a sense, like you say... an ‘obtainable’ character doing ‘obtainable’ things.

I say ‘modern-historical’ due to some of my RP stories are dated back to earlier this century and into the late 20th century. Not sure where the line gets drawn on where ‘historical’ ends and ‘modern’ begins. I definitely don’t RP ‘Modern’ in the strictest sense as I care not to have Covid in any of my stories. I suppose for me it’s ‘modern-historical’ up to the end of 2019, and ‘Modern AU’ for 2020-21 (no Covid). A slight measure of the paranormal/supernatural can make some stories interesting.

Maybe a general ‘Slice of Life’ community might find some interest?
I used to love doing these. The biggest issue I found is when you get a group of people together, there is inevitably drama behind the scenes. One of the biggest challenges with running a game like this is they typically take place in a small town or a community like a high school or college campus. As such, it's very hard to keep a group of players on the same page and agreement on details and events. Also, the biggest issue I've discovered with play-by-post, in general, is the fact that so many people don't post consistently. As a result, it gets very frustrating to stay on pace. The solution I found was to run games like this as one-on-ones and just work with a single player running multiple characters. I've had one here on RPR and we're going three years strong.
AgentMilkshake wrote:
”... The biggest issue I found is when you get a group of people together, there is inevitably drama behind the scenes. One of the biggest challenges with running a game like this is they typically take place in a small town or a community like a high school or college campus. As such, it's very hard to keep a group of players on the same page and agreement on details and events. Also, the biggest issue I've discovered with play-by-post, in general, is the fact that so many people don't post consistently. As a result, it gets very frustrating to stay on pace. The solution I found was to run games like this as one-on-ones and just work with a single player running multiple characters. I've had one here on RPR and we're going three years strong.”
I agree. That issue isn’t specific to ‘Slice-of-Life’ RPs but multi-player RPs in general. It’s why I have gravitated away from group RPs of late (the last successful multi-player group RP I was a part of was back in 2014-15). I’m not completely sure what exactly The Little Witch had in mind here, but it was the 1st paragraph of her post that got my thoughts going...

I was thinking of a ‘group’ created here that would be more of an OOC Slice-of-Life writer’s gathering place, a ‘Guild’ of sorts I suppose, where like-minded people can meet and talk, discuss and share storylines and characters, and engage with each other in RP if they like. Whether RPs are done as a ‘multi-player’ or 1x1, either in the RPR General RP public forum, a public or private forum in the group, or in PM would be up to the individual writers on what they want to do. That, in essence, is my 2¢ (and a nickel more) on the subject.
I definitely love the slice of life mixed with some magical elements especially since most of my characters are not fully human. Slice of life is my main jam, whether its historical, high fantasy, or modern.
I love slice of life but I feel like I always fail to make characters that fit it
Rogue-Scribe wrote:
AgentMilkshake wrote:
”... The biggest issue I found is when you get a group of people together, there is inevitably drama behind the scenes. One of the biggest challenges with running a game like this is they typically take place in a small town or a community like a high school or college campus. As such, it's very hard to keep a group of players on the same page and agreement on details and events. Also, the biggest issue I've discovered with play-by-post, in general, is the fact that so many people don't post consistently. As a result, it gets very frustrating to stay on pace. The solution I found was to run games like this as one-on-ones and just work with a single player running multiple characters. I've had one here on RPR and we're going three years strong.”
I agree. That issue isn’t specific to ‘Slice-of-Life’ RPs but multi-player RPs in general. It’s why I have gravitated away from group RPs of late (the last successful multi-player group RP I was a part of was back in 2014-15). I’m not completely sure what exactly The Little Witch had in mind here, but it was the 1st paragraph of her post that got my thoughts going...

I was thinking of a ‘group’ created here that would be more of an OOC Slice-of-Life writer’s gathering place, a ‘Guild’ of sorts I suppose, where like-minded people can meet and talk, discuss and share storylines and characters, and engage with each other in RP if they like. Whether RPs are done as a ‘multi-player’ or 1x1, either in the RPR General RP public forum, a public or private forum in the group, or in PM would be up to the individual writers on what they want to do. That, in essence, is my 2¢ (and a nickel more) on the subject.

I like the idea of an OOC discussion. It would be nice to bounce ideas around and get plot ideas.

You are on: Forums » RP Discussion » ‘Slice of Life’ Community

Moderators: MadRatBird, Keke, Sanne, Ben, Darth_Angelus