Skip to main content

Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Tread Lightly (CLOSED Oblivion RP)

Dust (played by Quillweave)

Dust shrunk, flinching as Ath'vesu's blade stabbed the tree behind her with a raw, scraping sound. He leaned in close, uncomfortably close, hissing threats. Fear bubbled up hot and sickly like bile in the back of her throat.

"If you harm me, you'll have the entire Dark Brotherhood after your blood." She looked up suddenly, eyes blazing, as intimidating as she could make her small frame seem. "I don't know where he's gone. There's nothing I can do to help you and your threats aren't going to change that!"

She stood as tall as she could, chin up and jaw set, but inside she felt weak. My magicka's gone from healing him, I have barely enough to get us home. If he attacked me… She shuddered, casting her eyes to the mud.

"I'm taking us all home. Stand still."

The incantation Dust gave earlier now tasted like rust, sticking to the roof of her mouth. Dust grimaced as she spoke it, surpressing shudders and only hoping it did indeed work this time. The buzzing hum of life in the swamp, the murky peat and raw smells faded as she whispered the words -

And suddenly, once again, they were back. In the silent halls of Vilvern, still cold and dark. They could never have left, save the mud splattered on them and Dust's missing boot and bag. She looked up again, taking a deep breath and glancing between Ath'vesu and Dakari.

"Time - moves strangely, in the Isles. It could be only a few minutes after we left, here. But - we're back, anyway." Without Astarill - she briefly hoped he stayed safe before reassuring herself that he could take care of himself.

"I'm - I'm sorry you didn't get the journal." Dust glanced at Dakari, giving a quiet nod. She wondered if this woman would tell anyone what had transpired at all, to what ends she was working. If she was indeed a traitor. But there were more pressing matters, at the moment. With that in mind she looked straight at Ath again.

"And I'm sorry about your friend. I am." Her voice shook for a moment before regaining strength. "But there's nothing I can do to help you."
Dakari Sohadin (played by Merela)

The magpie’s behavior was becoming less and less coherent and it made Dak to raise an eyebrow.

“…I see, you and that turkey were lovers,” she simply said before looking at the tit and nodding grimly. She had decided she hated that spell, but since it was the single way to return to Nirn…and at least there were no swamps in Vilverin.

And indeed they were back at Vilverin. The strong musty smell was like a breath of fresh air.

“…it doesn’t matter,” said Dak when the tit talked to her. “I doubt that journal was worth it anyway. It was a foolish hope, as always.” After a moment, she spoke again. “…I, however, have to apologize for my previous behavior; I am no mage, it is not my role to judge if a spell has failed or not. I don’t doubt you…did your best, considering the circumstances. I also plan to look for the hawk,” she added, suddenly stroke by inspiration, “I own him apologizes and a bottle of shein, after all.”

But she planned to do it alone. She glared at the magpie.

“…try to kill the tit, and you are a dead man. Try to follow this crow, and you’ll be dead as well. The Wilds are not kind. Neither am I. I think the best everyone is to branch off from each other now.”
Ath'vesu (played by Legion)

Ath scowled at Dust to the mere mention of the dark brotherhood. It seemed that was not the best idea at all in mentioning them to the bosmer who was so very obviously angry, and getting more angry by the minute since he was still in the blasted ruins.

"If they come, they will be recruiting for new members."

He stated simply as he indicated he had no problem slaughtering any of the agents who came after him. He would not die before he found Astarill of course. Daks words though had Ath looking to her and his gaze grew heated, angered.

"Don't make a threat you can't back up. You come against me and I will leave your corpse to the birds."

My my, charming little bosmer when angry wasn't he? He didn't see her as any help and thus he had no patients for her right now, nor her idle threats and warnings about her being dangerous. He scowled once more though as she continued.

"Ether help me find him, attack, or get the fuck out and out of my way already and go about your own. We don't need your advice if your not going to help find Astarill."

He would then wash his hands of her and turned to stare at Dust. Oh he had plans alright, and she was going to be at the center of them.

Dust shuddered under the Bosmer's stare, looking back with wide eyes. He wouldn't really kill me, wouldn't dare - would he? If he does… She felt her magicka slowly seeping back, but not quick enough to defend herself. And the anger in his eyes…

Dust took a deep breath and a step backwards, almost unconsciously. She spoke as softly and soothingly as she could manage, hoping to calm the Bosmer, or at least convince him she wasn't useful nor a threat. "I am going to walk away now. I'm going home." She glanced at Dakari and nodded, grateful for her words of defense. "…Thanks. You're right - we should all just branch off, now. There's no point staying here." She inclined her head, glancing with a wince at her increasingly cold, bare foot before shaking her head. "Goodbye."

If undeterred, Dust would turn around and swiftly make for the exit, holding her head high and not looking back, trying to steady herself. From the tracks and mud left behind, she could easily be followed along her path from the ruin to the Imperial City, where she would collect her things from an inn before beginning the long journey home, back to Cheydinhal.

(I hope this works for everybody - as far as I understand, the plan is that Ath'vesu will quietly track Dust to Cheydinhal, where Astarill has left her a note saying he's in Morrowind, then kidnap her and drag her there to lure out Astarill. I figured I'd try to skip the probably dreary 'Ath watches Dust walk for several hours, stop and sleep, keep walking' that would be the journey to Cheydinhal. :P Unless anyone else has ideas? If so I can certainly rework this post.)

The magpie’s threats didn’t impress Dak. How could he kill somebody already dead? “…you don’t seem to realize what’s you’re saying. Either you’re having a death wish or you’re just stupid. In both case, I don’t care.” With a nod at the tit, Dak slowly headed back to the entrance. The night had been long and it wasn’t even over yet. She was planning to warn her father, to refill her quiver and prepare herself for the travel to Cheydinhal. The Brotherhood had to been told about the fate of the journal, and the fate of that so-called Brother. She just hoped that she would reach the Sanctuary before anyone else, or else she would be in troubles.

Not that she cared, of course.

(It works for me, Kir’. Anf if you and Silv’ agree, I think that Dak will track down Ath et Dust on their trip to Morrowind. Out of curiosity, of course, ‘cause she wouldn’t care. XD And if not…well, I suppose Dak’s participation to that RP will end when she’ll reach Cheydinhal. Whatever you prefer.)

What Ath would do, or not do, was hard to say in this type of situation. And he would completely ignore what Dak had to say since she did not seem to be a help to him right this moment. Ath scowled deeper but would not move to stop Dust from walking off, nor would he stop Dak from walking off. The bosmer would sit down and wait a bit until both of them were out of sight. As he waited he thought and had come up with a great plan.

Once the two of them were gone he stood up and he would then begin to track Dust's trail. Hey being a thief and being a wanderer helped sometimes and this was one of those times! Ath would track the woman's progress from the ruins down to her place in Cheydinhal. As he traveled he thought on his plan all the more and started to refine parts of it.

((am very sorry for the lateness of post, drill, and life got hectic again for a bit and iv been sick. And im game for whatever Dak xD))

(OOC: Whatever you wanna do, Mer, works fer me! And no problem, Wolf, life happens!)

Dust's trip was a nerve-wracking one, painfully slow. Her Detect Life spells were lacking, so she only had her eyes to rely on, tricked by her mind into thinking every crack of a twig and rustle of movement in the trees was Ath'vesu, following. She couldn't shake the feeling of being watched constantly, only half-convinced she was just paranoid after all that had happened. But she made it home, at last, in the dead of night.

"Finally..." Dust dragged herself to her door, dragging a hand over her face and glancing with a sigh at her new boots. "I'll have to restock my potion supply, get another bag. Then..." She bit her lip. If Astarill were here, he might know how to make a ward - but then, she had no clue where he'd teleported away. I can keep myself safe, she comforted herself, ready to call to her hound that she was home before stopping with the door ajar before her.

"Huh..." Dust frowned, kneeling to pick up a folded letter, apparently shoved under her door. She smoothed it open, worrying her lip as she began to read what the letter had to say.
Astarill (played by Pyrroglaux)

The short letter was written in meticulously neat handwriting, its tone vaguely curt and gruff.

Dust,

I would apologize again for taking my leave of you so abruptly. I trust you understand my patience wore thin. I hope I did not inconvenience you more than is obvious.

I have solved the problem to a satisfactory degree and have returned to Morrowind, therefore you need not be concerned if you do not see me in Cheydinhal. I do not mean to presume you would be, but you seem of the kind to appreciate these exchanges. Hereby I hope to have met any social obligations I might have had.

Astarill

(((OOC: Don't worry about the rp's posting order. This is only a singular occurence until the story arrives at the point where I'm needed again. XD )))

Despite the fact she had to return to the Sanctuary, Dak enjoyed travelling to Cheydinhal. The Wilds had been her playground for the last years and she had the feeling she was able to travel with her closed eyes. She stayed away from the roads, though – it was easier to find preys, even if it slowed her pace.

A fat, fluffy hare eventually fell under her arrows the morning of her arrival at Cheydinhall. The guards warned her that poaching was forbidden when they noticed the game but Dak didn’t care. She brought the hare to Dervera Romalen, the owner of the Newlands Lodge and negotiated a room. There was no way she would sleep in the Sanctuary. Too much restless ghosts there, and Dak had enough ghosts on her own.

She took a seat at the window once she got the room and allowed herself to take a brief nap. She was going to need it.

Ath followed Dust back to her home. The traveling was long and he slept little the entire way but it would pay off in the end. When they reached the town that Dust lived in Ath's lips curled into a rather cruel smile at the fact he would soon have what he needed to track down Astaril.

Ath followed Dust to her house and he would un-sling his bow, pull out an arrow with the paralyizing poison, and then pull back on the arrow. Eyes narrowed and he would let the arrow loose with deadly precision. The arrow would take Dust in the leg, a painful wound and one that would hamper her escape attempts. It didn't take long for the poison to start working. She would feel her body starting to freeze up and whats more she would start to feel sleepy due to another additive in the mix.

Ath walked over and the last thing that Dust would see was Ath bending down and looking at the letter then at her.

"Morrowind it is then, and you will be the bait." He murmmered.

When Dust was fully passed out he would then work on getting a rather nice cart and horse and setting out to Morrowind. When Dust would wake up she would be tied up in the back, though she did not have a gag on and Ath would be sitting there making sure the horses went the right way.

((Hope that works, if need to change anything let me know))

"Morrowind..." Dust murmured, a frown creasing her brow as she smoothed out the parchment and glanced over it again with a sigh and a weak smile. You seem the kind to appreciate these exchanges. He knew her well.

"Ah..." A sudden, strange feeling moved through her, a shudder down her spine and what felt like something like cold water sprayed against her leg. The poison took over before she could register pain - she managed only a sound of surprise and a flicker of alarm before exhaustion crept in and she collapsed, breathing growing shallow.

A shadow came over her, blurred, and a distant voice spoke. She blinked, unable to move, barely managing to speak before slipping away.

"That's... good...poison..."

She awoke with a jolt some time later, disoriented and sore. Where... She pursed her lips and tried to speak, letting out a soft croak. The cart jostled in movement. I'm... moving... Memory came back in a haze, along with a jolt of alertness and pang of pain in her leg.

"Bait..." He said 'bait.' She shuddered, eyes wide as she examined her surroundings. A cart, a rather comfortable one, at that, despite her soreness. Her hands were bound, the rope chafing into her skin. She began a string of venomous Daedric curses until her gaze peeked through the small curtain in front of her to the man on the horse ahead - Ath'vesu.

She narrowed her eyes, trying to speak loudly over the clop and clatter of the horse and cart. "You son of..." Stay calm. She drew in a breath through her teeth. She wanted to blast him off that horse, but with her hands bound, she couldn't cast any strong spells. Some weaker ones, perhaps, but they might only make him angry - and give him thought to gag her.

So I'll wait for the right moment.She steadied herself, setting her jaw and speaking coolly. "If you let me go now, we can forget this ever happened. No one will need to be hurt."

Dakari woke up for finding two big blue eyes looking at her. Her hand reached for her knife and the owner of the eyes let out a nervous giggle.

“Don’t worry, dear sister, it’s me!”

Dak narrowed her eyes. Yes, she knew this face. And this crazy smile.

“…what do you want, linnet?” she asked with a tilt of her head. “We’re not in the Sanctuary, what are you doing here?”
“I am not a bird!” complained Antoinetta Marie with a pout before smiling again. “Actually, I’m looking for Dust! We heard she was back in town but nobody has seen her! And since you’re back as well, I hoped you would know where she is.”

It made Dak vaguely arch an eyebrow.

“I know you’re not very…not really…Family-oriented,” continued Antoinetta, her smile fainting, “but I thought that maybe…”
“The tit has vanished?”
“Dusty isn’t a bird! I mean…you meant a bird, yeah?” giggled the blond woman. “But yes, she’s gone. I needed some of her J’adore for my next contract…what am I going to do now…”
“…have you heard of a Bosmer who recently arrived in town? Short auburn hair, green eyes, with a bow?” asked Dak with a slight tug in her stomach.
“I think Telaendril saw someone matching the description, yes. Why?”

Dakari sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. Of course…

“…I need your help, linnet,” she said while getting up and gathering her things. She was already running out of time.
“My help?” repeated Antoinetta with a suspicious expression. “For what?”
“For saving our beloved sister, what else?”

(OOC: Sorry for the delay, it took me some time for figuring how to write that scene. I hope it's alright. If not, please tell me what to modify.)

Ath was lost in thought as he rode the horse, guiding it through the trails he wanted to take to reach morrowind. It was only because Dust spoke that he even registered she was awake right now. The bosmer turned his head to look at her with a angry, sad, sorrowed look for what he had to do.

"Im afraid........I can't do that."

The bosmer murmured then turned back to look at the road. She couldn't do anything with spells since her hands were bound and nothing she said would make him change his plans, not right now at least.

"I need you to find Astarill....he will come for you and then we can end this. You will not be.....hurt"

Ath hesitated slightly on the last word.

"Unless you try to escape then I will have to make it where you can't"

A threat that was meant to keep her from running of course. Ath did not have any plans to hurt the woman at all, she was a means to an end for him so her fate was up to her in the end. Ath looked back to her before he stopped the cart and got down. The bosmer pulled out a water skin and walked back.

"Here, have a drink. The poison can sometimes leave one thirsty."

He placed the tip of the skin at her mouth and if she did indeed take it he would lift it up so she could drink. Ath planned to take good care of her. When she was done drinking, or if she had not even accepted, Ath stepped back and placed the water skin back on the horse and got back up.

"When business is done, you will be set free to go back home."

His last words to her unless she wished to further converse on the long trip there. Who knows maybe talking would have some effect? Doubtful but one never knew.

(OOC: That's great, Mer! I have no complaints. I like Dak calling Antoinetta a 'linnet' and their interaction! And Wolf, I like how solemn poor Ath is, and that he thought to offer water. Lemme know if anything needs changing in my post!)

Dust bit her twisted lip at the Bosmer's explanation, caught between a scowl and a look of pity. "But I don't know where he is - Morrowind is huge, he could be anywhere - "

His continuing words silenced her. Unless you try to escape… She shuddered, moving uncomfortably on her sore hands, trying to take deep breaths that made her dry throat ache.

Ath'vesu stopped the cart and approached - Dust pushed herself back slightly, although it wasn't as though she had far to go. He approached with a water skin - at his words Dust growled and turned her head. "I'm not thirsty."

No, she wasn't thirsty - she was parched. But he'd used poison on her once - why not again? Something to loosen her lips, to get information from her? Even if she didn't know Astarill's whereabouts, she didn't want to give him any other information. And that poison he'd used in the first place had been quite potent and well-made, she had to confess. It was only when he spoke she was torn from her thoughts again.

When business is done. When someone lies dead, she thought with a wince. What if - no, she couldn't think that. Astarill would be fine. She just had to do what she could to get away.

Dust pursed her lips before croaking. "…That poison you used was well-made. Did you make it?"

If it is, he's an alchemist and I have no chance of poisoning him, even if I did have a poison. And I know not to touch anything he offers. Dust grit her teeth at a rumble in her belly that only worsened her dry throat and aching head.

Dak kneeled and examined a wheel’s trace.

“…they have passed here,” she said while getting up and walking on.
“How do you know that?” chirped Antoinetta Marie. “How can you be sure it’s them?”
“…no other cart has been here recently,” answered Dakari with a shrug. “And the caravans crossing the Valus Mountains use guars, not horses.”
“Why?”
“…because guars are less unlikely to break their paws on the journey. The sector is rugged with a very snowy and cold weather and a very poor visibility. It’s too dangerous for horses. No mention they’re heading to Morrowind, where horse meat is a delicacy.”
“Oh really?” asked a really sad Antoinetta.
“…it is known.”
“Creepy.”
“…whatever. Only an idiot or a man in the hurry would use a cart with a horse here, and that Bosmer is both. They’re not far ahead and they’ll go slower while approaching the top. They should be easy to catch up with.”
“Then we’ll bring Dusty back!”
“…we?” Dakari scoffed. “There is no “we”, linnet.”

Antoinetta threw her the sad and unbelieving look of a very hurt puppy, but Dak didn’t care. Bringing Antoinetta with her was one of the worst ideas ever. The blond girl was…special. First, her devotion to Sithis was only shadowed by the one she felt for Lachance. And she was dangerous. Always smiling and innocent-looking, until she got one of her “moments”.

“But I want to come,” protested the Breton girl. “Dusty needs our help!”
“…and Ocheeva will need you at the Sanctuary. Same for Valtieri.”
“Don’t be silly,” giggled Antoinetta, “the old bat barely prevents himself to cry his joy around when I’m away from the kitchen.”
“…too bad for Valtieri’s manifestations of joy then,” snorted Dak. “Return to Cheydinhal and wait there.”
“You’re not funny,” complained the Breton.
“…no,” simply said Dak, “I am not.”

And she walked on without looking back.
Leyx (played by dieblues)

(( OOC: I haven't been on RPR in quite some time. I just recently got back on. Do you guys mind if I rejoin? ))

(OOC: I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think that would work at this point. It's been a LONG time and after so many people left the few of us still playing had to change things pretty drastically, and I can't see a logical way you could rejoin this late. Sorry! Also, sorry for the late reply, for some reason I didn't receive an alert that this thread was posted in.)
Leyx (played by dieblues)

(( OOC: Alright. Thanks for letting me know though. :) ))

Ath scowled and turned eyes upon her for a bit.

"He will find you don't worry, we have nothing but time on our hands if that is what it takes."

Ath would go till the world ended if he had to, and it was unlikely he would change his mind anytime soon in hunting Astarill. A shake of head though was given at her words on the drink as they started back up again. It was her choice but sooner or later she would ask for it again.

He had been riding silently, following the trail as the sun set into the horizon when she asked her question. Ath did not respond at first as if he had not heard her. After a bit though he would speak.

"Yes." Short answer that be considering.

A soft sigh came from the lips of Ath as he ran a hand up through his tussled hair. He looked tired but he was pushing on. He guided the horses until they came to a good spot to make camp, as he wasn't going to risk the horses at night, not with his plans right now.

((Dunno how you would rejoin ether))

(OOC: No problem! C:)

Dust pursed her dry lips as Ath'vesu's gaze lingered on her for a moment, as he spoke. Would he find them? She murmured, more to herself than him. "...And what if he doesn't..."

I can take care of myself, Dust told herself firmly, although she wasn't entirely convinced by her own thoughts. She scowled before resting her head on her knees, trying not to think of the water that had been offered and the lurches and bumps of the road that made her empty stomach roll. And I resent being bait. She only glanced up when he responded to her earlier question, and only to scowl at the back of his head at the news. So he is an alchemist, then. Her expression softened and she felt a flicker of pity as the Bosmer gave an exhausted sigh, but suppressed it. They soon made camp, a flickering fire casting eerie shadows and soft, almost comforting light around them, ash drifting into the sky. She closed her eyes as the wind blew smoke towards her, giving a hoarse cough.

I need to get away from him. She glanced sideways at him, shifting the ropes binding her hands ever so slightly. He has to sleep, sometime...

You are on: Forums » Fantasy Roleplay » Tread Lightly (CLOSED Oblivion RP)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus