Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Stand with Ukraine!

To add to this, by the way. Google maps does actually show considerable information on troop movements. If someone is trying to get out, and Google keeps up allowing us to see them there, they can use Google Maps to navigate around things like tank lines and infantry movement, which could be critical to saving their life.

We need to work together. Donate. Inform. And oust all Russian troop movement as we can. Keep your lips sealed on Ukrainian troop movement, and keep chatter with civilians in the warzone hopeful and friendly. Give these people hope, give them something to believe in, and keep them going.
Thank you for the information Cat, I hope your friend is staying strong during this dark time. From what I have read Ukraine was able to protect Kyiv last night, but Putin is changing his battle plans.
Dib2435 wrote:
Thank you for the information Cat, I hope your friend is staying strong during this dark time. From what I have read Ukraine was able to protect Kyiv last night, but Putin is changing his battle plans.

I got no doubt, but Putin's military commanders are going to run out of tricks soon.

Here's the situation: out of 2.9 million people in Kyiv, let's say about half of those are citizens with able bodies to fight. Russian forces will enter Kyiv... and then fight, door to door, floor by floor. The Russian military is starving, begging fir food, and in the city, they'll be cut from whatever little supply line they have.

I seriously think the Ukrainians can win this, they have considerable advantages fighting in their own cities. I'm worried about the wave of reinforcement coming in.

My biggest concern is Ukrainian resistance losing their supplies quickly. With Putin scaring the international scene, flying into Ukrainian airspace with supply drops is impossible. But I heard about potential citizens/foreign running supplies into Ukraine. The world is trying, it's cool.

When this is over, no matter how it ends, Putin has lost his credibility on a global scale, and I think its high time we send him packing.
Thank you for the links, OP.
If anyone tells you they are in Ukraine and need help and send you a PayPal link -- be cautious, may people in Ukraine do not have access to PayPal. 🙏

I am being told that some do, but please be cautious that there are those that falsely take advantage of situations for their own benefit.

Link of Ukraine artists posting for support here
Nettle Topic Starter

wilts wrote:
If anyone tells you they are in Ukraine and need help and send you a PayPal link -- be cautious, may people in Ukraine do not have access to PayPal. 🙏

I am being told that some do, but please be cautious that there are those that falsely take advantage of situations for their own benefit.

Do you mind if I quote this post in the op? I'd like to signal boost this as much as possible.
Kim wrote:
Dawnia wrote:
I thought I read somewhere about it being an RP site and not for posting about current affairs and politics.

We don't consider the stance that aggressive wars are bad and that the victims of said wars need help to be "politics" or even controversial. We just consider it basic human decency. Nettle checked with us before posting this, and we cleared it.

Yes! Thank you!

With people being displaced, a solid way to help is through the United Nations Refugee Agency.
It was heartening to see so many turn out in protest in so many cities around the world! The deepest respect to those Russians who are making a stand and speaking out, and I hope they don't suffer too badly.

One of the NPR reporters at the Polish border was amazed there was a line of people wanting to get into Ukraine to fight. The Ukrainians have amazing resolve!

it was not really all that long ago in the 1930's... that Stalin waged genocide against the Ukrainians. I was just reading the history of that.

It was hard to get an email from the Ukrainian costuming company Armstreet about having to suspend taking new orders and to have patience with their fulfilling orders and asked people not to cancel them. I haven't bought anything from them in a while, but it did bring home to my email how close this is to me a half a world away. I'm hoping anyone who is in Ukraine, or anyone who knows someone there like I do, that they are safe and are able to get word out.
Nettle wrote:
wilts wrote:

Do you mind if I quote this post in the op? I'd like to signal boost this as much as possible.

I don't mind at all 😊
If I may also further express: please be kind to Russians, many do not want this war and are surprised and as angry as we are.
Non-NPC (played anonymously)

Hi guys,

Apologies for posting anonymously but I’m about to share personal details that I would not want to share under my main account.

I live in Prague, uncomfortably close to the war. I’ve donated money and things to Ukraine in an effort to help out, because according to my personal observations of Russia behaviour, they will not stop at anything they will feel they can get away with. And they expect to get away with almost everything short of launching a nuclear missile (although they might not stop there, either, but that’s for another discussion).

Right now it’s 2:30 in the morning to me. I work tomorrow but I stayed up to see how the fight around the largest European nuclear power plant would go - an explosion would be 10 times worse than Chernobyl. I had planned to travel to see my mother for the first time in two years (Covid-caused) over this weekend, but sure enough, Russians keep firing at the power plant and it is already on fire. I looked up how fast radiation spreads and it looks like I can wait till morning to find out if I should be sealing my windows and outside doors, because it will not manage to spread overnight with how relatively far I am, even if something major happens while I sleep. Of course people in Ukraine, Russia and surrounding countries will not be so lucky.

If there’s anything you can so to help increase awareness of the situation, or donate money to Ukraine (whether for military supplies or humanitarian efforts), please consider doing so.

The NPP’s name is Zaporizhzhya if you’d like to google the current status. Current radiation levels: https://www.npp.zp.ua/en/safety/arms
Edited: Ukrainian firefighters were eventually allowed access and the fire is now under control. It turned out not to directly endanger the parts of the plant that could cause a nuclear meltdown.

But to attack a sovereign country and mess with nuclear power plants is just incredibly awful.
Non-NPC wrote:
Hi guys,

Apologies for posting anonymously but I’m about to share personal details that I would not want to share under my main account.

I live in Prague, uncomfortably close to the war. I’ve donated money and things to Ukraine in an effort to help out, because according to my personal observations of Russia behaviour, they will not stop at anything they will feel they can get away with. And they expect to get away with almost everything short of launching a nuclear missile (although they might not stop there, either, but that’s for another discussion).

Right now it’s 2:30 in the morning to me. I work tomorrow but I stayed up to see how the fight around the largest European nuclear power plant would go - an explosion would be 10 times worse than Chernobyl. I had planned to travel to see my mother for the first time in two years (Covid-caused) over this weekend, but sure enough, Russians keep firing at the power plant and it is already on fire. I looked up how fast radiation spreads and it looks like I can wait till morning to find out if I should be sealing my windows and outside doors, because it will not manage to spread overnight with how relatively far I am, even if something major happens while I sleep. Of course people in Ukraine, Russia and surrounding countries will not be so lucky.

If there’s anything you can so to help increase awareness of the situation, or donate money to Ukraine (whether for military supplies or humanitarian efforts), please consider doing so.

The NPP’s name is Zaporizhzhya if you’d like to google the current status. Current radiation levels: https://www.npp.zp.ua/en/safety/arms
Edited: Ukrainian firefighters were eventually allowed access and the fire is now under control. It turned out not to directly endanger the parts of the plant that could cause a nuclear meltdown.

But to attack a sovereign country and mess with nuclear power plants is just incredibly awful.

I am so sorry for you, I'm actually starting a drive in my school to get clothes, food, and other needed goods for the refugees. I've been watching the news every day and things are just getting worse, I'm worried about everyone. I was watching the news this morning and I almost cried for some of the kids, I'm in America and the worry at my school is increased. We've had lockdown drills, bomb drills, and they increased our computer protection. Of course, we're not officially involved but everyone is worried. I wish I could do more other than sit here doing nothing. I told my family there lucky I'm not 18 cause if I was i would be fighting if I had to.
Non-NPC (played anonymously)

FrostWolf wrote:
I am so sorry for you, I'm actually starting a drive in my school to get clothes, food, and other needed goods for the refugees. I've been watching the news every day and things are just getting worse, I'm worried about everyone. I was watching the news this morning and I almost cried for some of the kids, I'm in America and the worry at my school is increased. We've had lockdown drills, bomb drills, and they increased our computer protection. Of course, we're not officially involved but everyone is worried. I wish I could do more other than sit here doing nothing. I told my family there lucky I'm not 18 cause if I was i would be fighting if I had to.

Hi and apologies for late reply, I contracted something nasty while running around doing things I wouldn’t be doing if it weren’t for Russia, and I was exhausted.

Thank you for doing the drive (and I hope it went well :-) ). Most of the refugees are mothers with children so child supplies and female hygiene products are also great. And money is easiest/fastest.

Anyway, take care and let’s hope that things will go better than I think they’ll go :-)
gcpNaR6.jpgI think love is not about flowers...
Not the moon walking at night...
Love is watching the kids like this
Sleeping quietly on his shoulder...
Love does not come in beautiful gifts
And not even in loving words...
Not in passionate sweet kisses,
And in the shining, caring eyes...
Love in a cup of warm tea,
In endurance, the skilled will speak...
In what we so rarely notice
And we often forget to say...
Love is not in her slim state,
And in the changes on the corners of the eye...
Love is not what is on the screen,
And deep in the souls of two people...
Love is in conflict and forgiveness,
In mistakes, even the skilled will forgive...
Love is not a moment one inspiration, -
It's eternity that teaches us to wait...
Wait until we're wiser,
Because youth will fade away with years...
And will remain in the heart much more...
The caring, the family, the silent...
Love in gray on silver temples,
In wrinkles and in a quiet hoarse...
In the hands of caring busy hands,
Consistently the warmest in life...
- Inella Ognyeva
(from the Euromaiden Arts and Graphics community facebook page)

I'm crying. This was one of Inella's last poems before the war claimed this talented young poet. She was killed in the attacks on Buchi Ukraine.
Nettle wrote:
Hello.

Some of you know me, some of you don't. I'm posting here, as you might have guessed, because of the recent invasion of Ukraine by Russia. This conflict is a massive tragedy and injustice, on a scale that can be hard to understand. If you're anything like me, you probably feel helpless and fearful. Maybe angry.

So I did some research and made some donations. We don't have much control over these horrible events, but we can do our part to give aid and succor to those effected by this act of aggression. To that end, I've decided to gather a collection of links to various charities and fundraisers. I'm posting this here so that anyone else who wants to help can.

I have verified each of these charities to the best of my ability, but if I missed something, let me know and I will make the needed edits. I have also attempted to provide a mixture of international organizations and Ukrainian-operated organizations.

Links

Global Giving's Ukraine Relief Fund

World Help Displaced Families Fund

Project Hope's Crisis in Ukraine Fund

UNICEF's Ukrainian Children Fund

United Help Ukraine

Revived Soldiers Ukraine

Thanks to @wilts, information is also available on Ukrainian artists should you wish donate to them/commission them.
wilts wrote:

It feels almost helpless sometimes just being unable to have a say in these kinds of things, it seems almost impossible to get these governments to just keep the peace, and understand that normal people are tries of killing each other for their games. How many people have to die before they figure out enough have died?
SparksFly wrote:
It feels almost helpless sometimes just being unable to have a say in these kinds of things, it seems almost impossible to get these governments to just keep the peace, and understand that normal people are tries of killing each other for their games. How many people have to die before they figure out enough have died?
I agree with your sentiments in general, but saying it here about this particular situation which is clearly a case of one country's leader (Putin) ordering an all-out attack on a neighboring country (Ukraine) and carrying out indiscriminate war crimes (bombing hospitals, schools, and residential areas). Saying it is a 'both sides are doing it' thing in this case is outright apologetics of the Russian atrocities at worst, and simple ignorance at best. I do have much love and respect for all the Russian people who are actively protesting this aggression and going to the gulag for doing it.

I have made a donation to Doctors Without Borders, and to the UNHCR.

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Stand with Ukraine!

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus