Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » What books do you recomend?

Just like the title says. What good books do you recommend?

I'll start...

I recommend...
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Hobbit/Lord of the Rings
Dune
Redwall
The Isenhorn Trilogy

Also...any one who mentions the Twilight series and/or the Song of Fire and Ice (you know, Game of Thrones) series will get booped on the head with my stick.
The Seventh Tower series
Cirque du Freak
Keys to the Kingdom
The Shannara Chronicles
Magic Kingdom of Landover
If you're ever interested in medical thriller stories, anything by Robin Cook (I'm partial to the Jack Stapleton & Laura Montgomery series, personally)
The Dresden Files
Dragonriders of Pern
American Gods
Mr_Stick Topic Starter

I've heard of The Dresden Files, Dragonriders of Pern, and American Gods. I'll check them out.
AdoniVae

Please Stop Laughing at Me
Christine
Schizo
Detective Conan(It's a comic, but still REALLY good if your into murder mystery)
High Rise
The Red Necklace
Chronicles of The Black Company by Glen Cook
Juls wrote:
^ Yes

Also, the Malazan Book of the Fallen series is good if you like convoluted high fantasy stories. I never had time to read past book four, but the magic system was really interesting.
Mr_Stick wrote:

I'll start...

I recommend...
The Chronicles of Narnia
Dune
Redwall
The Isenhorn Trilogy

Also...any one who mentions the Twilight series and/or the Song of Fire and Ice (you know, Game of Thrones) series will get booped on the head with my stick.

Oh! I think you and I would get along just fine! Fantastic taste in books, I see. :)

Some of my (other) favorites are:
Kidnapped
Treasure Island
A Tale of Two Cities
Paddington Bear (childhood favorite)

C. S. Lewis is a favorite author of mine; I can't put down any of his books. And if you enjoy animals and nonfiction, James Herriot's books are so sweet and uplifting.
Mr_Stick Topic Starter

VampireDwarf wrote:
Mr_Stick wrote:

I'll start...

I recommend...
The Chronicles of Narnia
Dune
Redwall
The Isenhorn Trilogy

Oh! I think you and I would get along just fine! Fantastic taste in books, I see. :)

Some of my (other) favorites are:
Kidnapped
Treasure Island
A Tale of Two Cities
Paddington Bear (childhood favorite)

C. S. Lewis is a favorite author of mine; I can't put down any of his books. And if you enjoy animals and nonfiction, James Herriot's books are so sweet and uplifting.

Cool! Lewis is great! I love Tolkien, he is my hero.
Mr_Stick wrote:
VampireDwarf wrote:
Mr_Stick wrote:

Cool! Lewis is great! I love Tolkien, he is my hero.

Tolkien is amazing!
iolhantheX

C.S Lewis is amazing.
The Inheritance Trilogy(mature), not to be mistaken for the Inheritance Cycle, which is also good.
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (really clever and comedic)
The Peleg Chronicles
Literally anything by Susan Fletcher is wonderful.
The Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys Series, you can't tell me they aren't good.
E.D Baker's multiple fantasy series.
The Princess Bride... It's a Classic.
The Mists of Avalon (mature)
Isle of Swords
The Dark Sea Annals (really interesting series)
Castaways of the Flying Dutchman and it's sequels. (By Brian Jacques, same author of Redwall)
Anything written by Harry Turtledove, alt-history extraordinaire. If fantasy is your fancy, I would suggest his Into The Darkness series. Additionally, L.E. Mondesitt Jr.'s The Magic of Recluse promise the start of an unforgettable story. Honestly, imagine the worlds perfect D&D session made manifest.
Rogue-Scribe

Juls wrote:

Yes! I was going to add this. If you want the standalone books, the first three (Black Company, Shadows Linger, and White Rose) are a good story. The rest expand on the 'Black Company' and Glen's writing style changes some as he goes. There was just recently a new book in the series called 'Port of Shadows’. I got the book, but have yet to read it.
Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
There was just recently a new book in the series called 'Port of Shadows.

Oh... I didn't realize there was a new one. :) I'll certainly be adding that to my list!
Pandas71

I personally like:(A lot of these are like middle school level though. Haven't gotten a good book series in a while)Li

Divergent (All books, but the first one the most. I've read it +100 times. No exaggeration.)
The Testing (Holy crap, I found this book series and I'm so happy I did)
The Maze Runner (Don't give me any crap, I love it and I know literally everyone read it in middle school)
Walking Through Fire (I actually know the writer of this book!)
Harry Potter (For obvious reasons)
Evertaster (It's a children's book, but holy heckle it is good)
A Horse Called September
The Golden Acorn (Like I said, kid's book)
Tunnel (A horror book; NOT FOR KIDS. I DID NOT READ THIS AS A KID I SWEAR)
Rogue-Scribe

Juls wrote:
Dunedain-Ranger wrote:
There was just recently a new book in the series called 'Port of Shadows.

Oh... I didn't realize there was a new one. :) I'll certainly be adding that to my list!

Port of Shadows
I can see The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher has already been recommended, but Codex Alera by the same author is also good (I've only read the first book, but I liked that one). It's elemental magic in a Roman setting.
His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman is great, and one of my favourite book series of all time. This one is kind of Paradise Lost for kids and slightly more modern.
There is also everything written by Tamora Pierce, especially if you're in the mood for female main characters. Medieval fantasy setting with enough books to keep you entertained for quite some time.
In the more adult department, there's The First Law by Joe Abercrombie, which I'm also planning on rereading. The main characters are very diverse and different, and pretty much everyone are terrible people.

Whoops, these are all fantasy books. For something not fantasy, I can recommend 1984 by George Orwell, which is very relevant to current society, or Les Miserables by Victor Hugo, which is really long, but it's worth reading, mainly because of Jean Valjean and the supporting cast. Not Marius though, I don't like him.
iolhantheX wrote:
C.S Lewis is amazing.
The Inheritance Trilogy(mature), not to be mistaken for the Inheritance Cycle, which is also good.
The Enchanted Forest Chronicles (really clever and comedic)
The Peleg Chronicles
Literally anything by Susan Fletcher is wonderful.
The Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys Series, you can't tell me they aren't good.
E.D Baker's multiple fantasy series.
The Princess Bride... It's a Classic.
The Mists of Avalon (mature)
Isle of Swords
The Dark Sea Annals (really interesting series)
Castaways of the Flying Dutchman and it's sequels. (By Brian Jacques, same author of Redwall)

Ooohh, I had forgotten about the Enchanted Forest Chronicles. You're right, those are really good!
Hmmm...

(I’m a creep)

Anything Stephen King...

Currently Reading:

It

Mr. Mercedes

Misery

Salem’s Lot
Harry Potter (LOVE this franchise, just like a good chunk of my family!)
Percy Jackson (Love Mythology!)
The Kane Chronicles (Again, mythology nerd!)
The Heroes Of Olympus (Guess what this reason is?)
The Hero's Guide Series (Amazingly funny and great story!)
The Land of Stories (Written by Chris Colfer, otherwise known as Kurt from Glee, is an AMAZING author!)

I definitely recommend these books to anyone in need of something to read.
I agree with Chronicles of Narnia. Books > movies on that one.

The Giver (science fiction)

Ender's Game (science fiction)

A Hole The Size of The World
(fiction)

Man's Search For Meaning (nonfiction)

Memories, Dreams, Reflections by Carl Jung the famous psychiatrist who came up with the term "extrovert/introvert" (be prepared to read some exremely weird stuff though, he sounds like he had multiple personality disorder)

Where The Sidewalk Ends
(poetry)

Imzadi (cheesy, romantic Star Trek novel)

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller (autobiography/religious/inspirational)

The Secret Life of Bees (fiction)

A Stolen Life
by Jaycee Dugard (autobiography written by that girl who was kidnapped in 5th grade and lived as a hostage in that man's house for over a decade)

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell (youth fiction)

The Trap Door and Escape To Witch Mountain by Alexander Key (youth fiction)

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » What books do you recomend?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus