Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Potato Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the Potato Symbol in Epic Week 2022. Please stay on topic. Remember, these riddles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. Research is not cheating; it is expected!

Click here to visit the location of the Potato Symbol
I think that that first clue definitely points toward the Portal video games!
Dragonfire Moderator

This will be a triumph! Eventually.
Tar

Bookkeeper wrote:
I think that that first clue definitely points toward the Portal video games!

I agree! It was the first thing I thought of just looking at the symbol too ahaha
As far as saving goes, I think it may either be about the Oracle turret? It asks you to save it despite Wheatley's protests. It doesn't seem to be Caroline or Glados.

It could also be Chell herself though.
I've tried the spellinsg of glados including the one th game uses, as well as caroline. no luck
we need that 3rd clue..
Okay so, about the companion cube! I just remembered the Lab Rat comic, where Doug Rattman's carrying the companion cube as it speaks to him! I'm not really sure about a name, but once it opens up again, I suggest putting down "tenacity"; that's the main trait Chell is given in her file:

chell.png
FishyFrisk wrote:
Okay so, about the companion cube! I just remembered the Lab Rat comic, where Doug Rattman's carrying the companion cube as it speaks to him! I'm not really sure about a name, but once it opens up again, I suggest putting down "tenacity"; that's the main trait Chell is given in her file:

chell.png

nope. neither way worked but it is open to guesses again
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

I just messaged a couple people whose usernames end in "et", hopefully one will come rescue us :)
Woo! Okay, until then, here is our so far not-it list:

- Chell
- Caroline
- Glados
- GLaDOS
- lab rat
- tenacity
- rattmann
- ratman
- oracle turret
- outlier (I don't know why I tried this but still)

If you've tried anything else please post them as well!
FishyFrisk wrote:

- Chell
- Caroline
- Glados
- GLaDOS
- lab rat
- tenacity
- rattmann
- ratman
- oracle turret

Tried:
-PotatOS
-Cave Johnson
-Weighted Companion Cube

Uh, wait, did Doug's companion cube a have a name?
Cheshika wrote:
FishyFrisk wrote:

- Chell
- Caroline
- Glados
- GLaDOS
- lab rat
- tenacity
- rattmann
- ratman
- oracle turret

Tried:
-PotatOS
-Cave Johnson
-Weighted Companion Cube

Uh, wait, did Doug's companion cube a have a name?

None that I could find or recall other than just "companion cube", and that didn't work either. I think that last clue might help a lot if we can just find someone with a username like that. ^^;

More guesses that did not work:

-companion cube
-Doug Rattmann
-Mel
-bring your daughter to work day
ALRIGHT! Thank you ErrantEmmet! :D

I think this is talking about test chamber 17, where the rattmann den is. It gives you a username and password to enter on the aperture science website ( username: CJOHNSON , password: TIER3 ).

Also, the achievement gained in that area is Fratricide I think.

I'm decently sure it's TIER3!
Ok, so this is a long shot, but what about The Administrator? She's a TF2 character who's voiced by Ellen McLain, the same lady who voices GLaDOS, and she's always "watching you" in the sense that she observes all the goings on of the TF2 characters via a room with a bunch of monitors in it, tracking their every move. The Portal stuff could be a huge red herring, maybe? It's a huge long shot, I know, but none of the obvious answers have worked.
FishyFrisk wrote:

I think this is talking about test chamber 17, where the rattman den is. It gives you a username and password to enter on the aperture science website ( username: CJOHNSON , password: TIER3 ).

Wow, I've played that game a million times, and there's STILL so many little hidden details I've yet to uncover! I would've never noticed that detail!
ErrantEmmet wrote:
FishyFrisk wrote:

I think this is talking about test chamber 17, where the rattman den is. It gives you a username and password to enter on the aperture science website ( username: CJOHNSON , password: TIER3 ).

Wow, I've played that game a million times, and there's STILL so many little hidden details I've yet to uncover! I would've never noticed that detail!

This is me just looking it up, I knew there was a password and username there somewhere in the rattmann den but I haven't found it myself. It seems there are other passwords as well that have changed with updates?

"When working for Aperture Science, Rattmann was charged with the maintenance of the Aperture Image Format, an interactive graphics format created in 1985. He had access to Aperture Science's bulletin board system, with the login "drattmann" and the password "h0nee"." (honestly this one sounds a lot more familiar than the other one)

So try h0nee as well! I'll go check for the other passwords, I think PORTALS was one too.
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

Congrats on solving this symbol! The answer was "tier3".

For those of you wondering how this answer could be arrived at, here's a quick explanation. :)
Cass, designer of this riddle wrote:
Doug Rattman was the only scientist who believed that GLaDOS could not be stopped and feared that the morality core would not stop her from hurting people. While observing the test subject files one day, he found that Chell was forbidden from testing, because she is 'abnormally stubborn.' With this in mind, he believed that she would one day be useful to defeating GLaDOS if she ever did turn against them. Doug Rattman decided to put Chell on the top of the test subject list so that she would be chosen. Doug Rattman turned out to be correct about his concerns of GLaDOS, because on Bring-Your-Daughter-To-Work-Day, GLaDOS decided to release a neurotoxin which Doug Rattman escaped from and hid among Dens he created and lived in throughout the Apature Science facility. He was the only staff survivor. Unfortunately, Doug Rattman's condition worsened due to a lack of medication for his mental illness of schizophrenia, and often received logical advice from a companion cube. Including, to save Chell when he saw her unconscious during testing and dragged away. Because of his guilt due to feeling responsible for this (from choosing her to be a test subject) and his companion cube's advice, he sought to rescue her. Unfortunately, he died while doing this but did manage to awaken Chell from a Cryo sleep. Often, throughout portal 2 - the dens that Doug Rattman had been living in can be found as a series of 'Easter Eggs' where he wrote messages on the walls to help Chell defeat GLaDOS. In a den in chamber 17, on the wall, there is a username and password scrawled among his many other writings such as 'the cake is a lie' and 'she is watching you.' The username written is: cjohnson and the password is: Tier3
Cass Moderator

Good job friends. ♥️
Snrk. "So, how are you holding up? Because I'm a potato."

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Potato Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ben, Darth_Angelus