Skip to main content

Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Sword Symbol (SOLVED)

Please log in to participate in Epic Week challenges.

Kim Site Admin

This topic is for discussing clues and potential answers to the Sword Symbol in Epic Week 2022. Please stay on topic. Remember, these riddles are designed to be challenging and require a group of people brainstorming together; don't feel intimidated if you don't know the answer right away. Every little idea can help. Research is not cheating; it is expected!

Click here to visit the location of the Sword Symbol
That second clue probably doesn't have anything to do with the farming game... but that's still where my mind went.
First things that come to mind for me are the Black Knight from King Arthur stories and the Golems in Twilight Princess, as I remember there was some order you had to hop them through to guard some doors. I don't think it was numerical like that, though.
I looked up the numbers , there is a shirt with the exact square on it . The square is called "Meyers square" and it is a fencing thing
GlassJungle wrote:
I looked up the numbers , there is a shirt with the exact square on it . The square is called "T Meyers square" and it is a fencing thing

Its the four openings of fencing looking into it more

So its something to do with fencing and fields
GlassJungle wrote:
GlassJungle wrote:
I looked up the numbers , there is a shirt with the exact square on it . The square is called "T Meyers square" and it is a fencing thing

Its the four openings of fencing looking into it more

So its something to do with fencing and fields

OH MY GOD WAIT I THINK ITS A PUN OFF OF "EN GUARDE"
So I don’t know much about fencing and HEMA (so please correct me if I get it wrong) but after some research here is what I understood! It’s a drill consisting of 16 cuts, with the third sequence being cuts 9-12.

This video explains the third sequence/ring, I think!

A0042067-21-AC-465-A-8602-17-DB4-DBE086-B.jpg

From what I understand, anything in the two boxes above are Oberhau (cut from above), and the two square below are Underhau (cut from below). The third sequence begins with an Oberhau.

Also if you draw it, it looks like this: top left, bottom right, bottom left, top right.

46-D5-A516-45-E2-4-CF5-80-CE-EF08-AD82-A9-FD.jpg

So far entered:

- Oberhaw
- Overhaw
- Oberhau
- Overhand
- Flugelhaw
- Underhaw
- Underhau
- Unterhau
- Underhand
- Wechselhaw
- HEMA
- Abzug

I don’t know how this helps, but I hope it does!
Thinking of fencing and the "Withstand the third sequence" clue. I thought of defensive maneuvers. I've searched defensive parrying and guessed:

Parry
Prime parry
Seconde parry
Tierce parry
Quarte parry
Quinte parry
Sixte parry
Septime parry
Octave parry
Neuvieme parry

Croise
Passata-sotto
In-Quartata
Things ive guessed already:

En Guarde
Meyer
Meyer's
Fencing
Allez (The response to En Guarde)
That symbol that fishyfrisk drew for the third sequence looks a lot like the third symbol on the golem's sword, but it's upside down. What if we reversed it.

Is it possible for the answer to be numbers? I'm new to this haha
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

BreezyDawn wrote:
That symbol that fishyfrisk drew for the third sequence looks a lot like the third symbol on the golem's sword, but it's upside down. What if we reversed it.

Is it possible for the answer to be numbers? I'm new to this haha

Welcome, super glad to have you!

The golem isn't a clue, so don't let it distract you too much. :)

Yes, numbers and multi-word answers have happened in the past, and remain possible this year :D
Gotcha - thanks!
Looking through German fencing terminology here are more things I tried but didn't work:

These guard positions
- vom Tach (from the roof)
- Ochs (ox)
- Pflug (plough)
- Alber (fool)

I was hoping since these were guard positions (the "on guard" and the "withstanding") with meanings connected to fields they would be it but unfortunately no dice. :/

And also these two, which just mean guard
- Huten
- Leger

And then general terms
- Versetzen (to parry)
- Überlaufen ("over-running" or "overrunning", the act of countering a hew or thrust made from below with an attack from above; a slight step backward usually accompanies the attack, the higher blow out-ranging the lower one.)
- Absetzen ("off-setting", deflecting a thrust or hew at the same time as stabbing.)

- Joachim Meyer

I think maybe it would be the name of whatever would be the best way to counter the third set of cuts in the Meyer square? But I don't know how the "field" and "withstanding" would factor in.
Dragonfire Moderator

popcorn-eating.gif
Multiword answer... Right now the only thing I can think of is the four guard positions again, Ox, Plow, Fool, From the Roof (ochβ pflueg alber vom tag). The thing that's throwing me off is why the third sequence especially fgdhj ;u;

Edit: That wasn't it, both English and German ^^;
FishyFrisk wrote:
Multiword answer... Right now the only thing I can think of is the four guard positions again, Ox, Plow, Fool, From the Roof (ochβ pflueg alber vom tag). The thing that's throwing me off is why the third sequence especially fgdhj ;u;

Edit: That wasn't it, both English and German ^^;

What if its Meyer's Square?
Kim Topic Starter Site Admin

GlassJungle wrote:
What if its Meyer's Square?
I can confirm that this guess has been tried. :)
oh okay!
(In which I feel personally called out by a clue–)

So, with the new clue I guess it's something basic? Zwerch is one of what you would call a mastercut, so we need something simpler (I think among other things might have to do with all the obscure German fencing terms XD).

I think the only thing I can think of is still the four main/basic guard positions, due to the mention of on guard (and I agree that this is definitely a pun GlassJungle!), the withstanding and fields. I think maybe it's which guard positions you'd need to counter the third sequence?

Third sequence is: Upper left, bottom right, bottom left, upper right

1y3bmacxlqcx.png

Guard definitions:
- vom Tach: "from the Roof"
a basic position with the sword held either on the right shoulder or above the head. The blade can be held vertically or at roughly 45-degrees.[79] The word tach, or dach, is often translated as "roof".
- Ochs: "ox"
a position with the sword held to either side of the head, with the point (as a horn) aiming at the opponent's face.
- Pflug: "plough"
a position with the sword held to either side of the body with the pommel near the back hip, with the point aiming at the opponent's chest or face. Some historical manuals state that when this guard is held on the right side of the body that the short edge should be facing up and when held on the left side of the body the short edge should be facing down with the thumb on the flat of the blade.
- Alber: "fool"
In the Fool's Guard, the point of the sword is lowered to the ground, appearing to "foolishly" expose the upper parts of the body and inviting an attack. Although the Fool's Guard exposes the upper openings, it does provide excellent protection to the lower openings. From the Fool's Guard an attack or displacement can be made with the false edge of the sword, or the hilt of the sword can be quickly raised into a hanging parry.

vom tach, alber, pflug, vom tach (roof, fool, plough, roof) is the best I can think of at the moment? I'm having trouble visualizing it! If we can get more people in on this discussion it would be much appreciated. I'm kind of stumped and I'm going to be stuck at work all day. ;u;

(also: tail guard/near guard/side guard is Nebenhut, wrath guard/high guard is Zornhut, Longpoint/unicorn is Einhorn. Those are secondary guards not the basic ones, so probably not what we need, but just in case.)
Quote:
Bonus clue 3: Farms have fields

Okay so it definitely has to do with those guard positions XD. The question is how, and at this rate I'm just... throwing in the words in any random order

You are on: Forums » Epic Week 2022 » Sword Symbol (SOLVED)

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus