Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » For the Sake of Science {1x1}

Gavin Stroud (played by Sage-Thorne) Topic Starter

You're a science experiment. Your life will never go beyond these white walls, Gavin thought dryly. "The Bonusiapien Industry Academy... They enroll kids at the top of their class for six years to train to be in the company," he explained, though he doubted she even cared. Just making conversation. He glanced at the gymnastics-like area. "Do you need to do something with that?"
She nodded and walked over to the balance beam and walked across it with no difference between that and walking on normal ground. She then walked over to some high bars and jumped onto them. She may have cat like abilities, but only human strength, do she dropped down and ran at at, managing to do a full spin before landing nimbly on her bare paws.
"You wouldn't happen to have any good books... Would you?" she asked him with a shy smile.

"Books?" Gavin repeated, writing down the results. He shook his head. "Not with me, no. I'm sorry." He cleared his throat and closed the notebook.
"Oh..." her smile wavered, "Well... I'm done..." she said quietly and stretched with a grunt. " M-mr. Gavin... Are there other's...?" she began, "Are there other's like me?"

Gavin glanced at her. "Others? As in other subjects with animal qualities?" he clarified. He set the notebook back where he had found it. "No, you are you only one to have survived," he said bluntly. "You're quite lucky."
She shook her head, but that sort of answered her question, "I-I meant other animal people... Just out there in the world... But I guess not..." she all of a sudden felt a lot more lonely and outcast, despite the fact she only knew Gavin and Dr. Chambers in the first place.

"Oh. No, of course not." Gavin shook his head. "Humans and animals... No mixtures, save for in this building." He put his hands in his pockets, then noticed how saddened she suddenly seemed. "...I'm sorry."
"So... What am I then?" she asked, these questions popping into her head for the first time.

"Human," Gavin replied mildly. "Mostly. You have some animal genes, is all. Hasn't Dr. Chambers expained this to you?"
She shook her head, "All he ever told me was that I was important and special... That I was a success... I didn't really knew why though..." she looked away, "But... Really I'm nothing... I'm just... I'm just some experiment..."

"Hey, you're not some experiment! You're possibly the most important one here," Gavin said firmly, watching her. "You're a marvel of science. You have more meaning to your life than half the people on the entire planet. Your being alive could change the world... It could heal diseases, help those with deformities or disabilities... The possibilities are endless!"
"Because I'm part cat?" she raised an eyebrow as new thoughts began pouring into her mind, "I'm a living being! I-I'm only different because people like you made me like this! I didn't ask for it! I'm a human too! I... I've never even been outside of this stupid box... I've never seen sunlight or felt grass..." she sat down and curled up in a ball, "I... I want to do so many things... But you're wrong... I'm just some science project... I..." she couldn't continue her sentence as she began crying.

Gavin tensed. She was crying now? What else would he have to deal with?! He was expecting to do science, not deal with an emotional teenage girl...

However, her crying did make him feel bad. He hesitated before stepping closer, crouching beside her. He awkwardly patted her head. "Hey, uh... It's okay? Uh..." He cleared his throat, and glanced away. "Look, don't cry... Please? Don't cry..." He frowned, unsure what to do. Where are you, Dr. Chambers?!
She didn't react to his touch in any noticeable way and continued to cry quietly. She was finally beginning to realize that her whole life wasn't even a life, that she was worse than an outcast. She wanted to be treated like a person, not a science project.

Gavin sighed. How do people get girls to stop crying? He glanced around, then pulled her up into a hug--however awkward it made him feel. "Mariah, don't cry. Please... It's alright. Anyone would commend you for spending your life trying to help the entirty of the human race. Your life has meaning... Please, don't cry."
She bushed deeply and then buried her furry face into his neck, "No it doesn't... You don't know what it's like.... I've read about so many great things... Things that are real... But things that I've never been able to see or touch or feel... I want to live, Gavin... I'm tired of being stuck in a box."

Gavin tensed up as she practically nuzzled him. Her fur was soft against his skin... He sighed. "I'm sorry, Mariah," was all he could find to say. He didn't know what else he could say; being what and who she was, she was doomed to a life inside the lab.
"No you're not... But thanks..." she pulled away and wiped her eyes then curled into a ball on her bed and closed her eyes. "Please don't leave... I don't want to be alone."

Gavin stood and rubbed the back of his neck. "Yeah, I'll stay," he promised. He lingered for a moment, before going to lean against the wall. He was silent for a few minutes until he spoke up. "What would you do, if you were able to leave?" he asked her.
She thought then shrugged, "Everything I could... But... I'm a monster aren't I? You people made me a monster..."

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » For the Sake of Science {1x1}

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus