Skip to main content

Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » For the Sake of Science {1x1}

Gavin Stroud (played by Sage-Thorne) Topic Starter

"Alright." Gavin gulped to wet his dry throat, and he took a seat on her bed. "I can't teach," he said plainly. You won't learn anything from me." It was true; he was a horrible teacher. This wasn't in the job description at all!
She shrugged a little bit, "Well... What can you teach me anyways?"

"I don't know what he wants me to teach you!" Gavin snapped angrily, before sighing. After a few moments, he cleared his throat. "I could... teach you a language?" Not like he'd be any good at that, but at least it was something.
She cringed away fearfully and curled her tail around her shins, "I-I'm sorry..." she whimpered.
When he had relaxed and offered to yeah her a language she nodded, "Okay... I'd like that."

So Gavin started teaching Mariah some Latin... It was the bases of most of the languages of Europe, he justified. He spent a few hours teaching her the basics, and giving her some background history of Italy.

"I promise to bring a book for you tomorrow," he said. "So you can see what I mean instead of just listening." He hesitated. "Is there another kind of book you particularly want?"
She listened to him intently and copied things down on a note pad as he spoke. When he asked if she wanted another book, she hesitantly nodded. "I... I like fantasy books..."

(I actually took a Latin class last year xD it was interesting... Mostly because I had a really cool teacher)

{Cool! I love Latin... This is my second year with it, and I plan to take it the next two years~}

Gavin nodded slightly. "Yeah, alright." He would have to see if he had any books like that... He wasn't a big fantasy fan; only realistic books did it for him. He stood up and stretched a bit, checking his watch. "It's time for me to go home," he said. "I'll see you tomorrow." He hesitated, then walked out towards rhe door.
"Thanks, Gavin..." she stood and gave him a quick hug, "Thanks a lot..."

Gavin tensed at the hug, but didn't pull away. He nodded his reply, and simply walked out.
She sat down on her bed and waited for the next day to arrive.

The next day Dr. Chambers came in and did Mariah's usual testing and such. "How was your lesson yesterday?" he asked as they finished up. Gavin wouldn't be coming in for a few minutes yet, so only the Jamaican was there for now.
"Fine... He doesn't like teaching though... And he seemed a little short tempered..." she told him with a subtle shrug. "I... I don't think he likes meuch at all..."

"Give him time, hm?" Dr. Chambers gave her a gentle smile. At that moment, Gavin appeared in the door.

"I'm sorry I'm so late. Traffic——"

"No need to explain. Come." The Jamaican motioned him inside.

Gavin nodded, coming in and quickly smoothing out his jacket. He nodded towards Mariah. "Morning."
"Good morning," she gave Gavin a slight nod then turned back to the doctor.

"Oh. Ah..." Gavin suddenly fumbled through the bag over his shouler, and presented Mariah with three books. Two were fantasy while the third was about Latin. "I didn't know exactly what to get, so I got two. I...hope they're alright." He rubbed the back of his neck, smiling weakly.
She looked over the covers then glanced over the summaries on the back.
"Thanks~" she said sweetly, "I appreciate it."

Gavin nodded, and suddenly Dr. Chambers cut in. "Patrick, you'll continue lessons today, won't you?"

"Ah, if you'd like me to..." Gavin sighed and nodded reluctantly. He really was a horrid teacher; it wasn't his job to teach Mariah anything.
"D-Doctor Chambers... He... He doesn't really need to..." she said quietly.

"Hm." Dr. Chambers hesitated, glancing between the two. After a few moments, he nodded. "Very well... Another time, then."

{Bit of a timeskip, as I am running quickly out of ideas for this tiny room...}

It was a few weeks later. Gavin was slowly becoming more comfortable with Mariah, even offering a smile or laughing at her shyness. Dr. Chambers seemed to pass all the responsibilities onto his young assistant, just standing back and observing for the time being. However, one day, the Jamaican came in with an excited air.

"Ah! Patrick! Mariah! Do you know what day it is?" he asked cheerfully, clasping his hands together.

Gavin blinked. "Tuesd—"

"Halloween!" he interrupted. He produced a bag from behind his bag and presented it to Mariah. It was filled with normal clothes, with the pants ever-so-slightly altered to fit properly near her feet. "Today we are all going outside!"

Gavin tensed. "But Dr. Chambers, won't—"

"Nonsense! Come come! Mariah, change into these, quickly!" The Jamaican seemed very excited.
"I-I get to go outside?!" this seemed almost too good to be true! She grabbed the new clothes and unabashedly changed in front of them.
"These are weird... But comfortable," she grinned as she bent each of her joints and stretched a little bit. Suddenly she looked very afraid, "W-what will everyone think of me...?" she asked timidly.

You are on: Forums » Sci-Fi Roleplay » For the Sake of Science {1x1}

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus