Skip to main content

Forums » Smalltalk » Any know a good grain-free cat treat?

Ok I have a very sweet baby girl of a kitty, but she has a couple of little issues I was hoping some positive reinforcement with cat treats can help. Problem is she has a grain sensitivity so not any treat will do. I went shopping for some treats not that long ago and ended up picking up some that were supposed to be grain free/gluten free that sounded promising, but I was a total dunderhead and didn't take a close look at the ingredient list and later realized it has chickpea flour in it which is not good for cats. I tried digging a bit on my own, but didn't see anything I thought was great.

I know rpr has a bunch of cat lovers, so I was hoping maybe one of you could enlighten me to some excellent cat treats fit for my kitty.
Look for grain free cat treats on Amazon or seek advice from your vet or local pet supplies shop.
We use Orijen freeze-dried treats for our cats! We mostly use freeze-dried when it comes to premade food or treats of any kind, since our cats love it, and we don't have to worry as much about ingredients. Orijen makes a few flavors, and several are available at PetCo here. ^_^ I think their actual food might not be advisable if I remember correctly, but their treats are good, and I don't think they've had a lot of treat recalls. We also sometimes use other freeze-dried treats, like plain chicken or salmon ones. Some cats love bonito flakes, too (much cheaper to buy them for human consumption and just check the ingredients), although those should be limited, because tuna has a lot of mercury.

We're raw feeders in general, so we make our cats' regular food. Our cats sometimes really enjoy organ treats (chicken heart, when we can get it, which also goes into their food if we can manage), and I know sometimes it's fun to give them a little bit of raw fish or meat, if you're more squeamish. Google any meats or organs first to see if they're safe for your kitty! If you're looking to cook stuff instead, I'd definitely look more into it, and avoid giving them cooked bones. We've tried boiled eggs, too, but our cats ended up being very gassy, lol. Not the best, but they adored eating it. :P

I don't remember what recipe we used, but we did cook our own treats at one point, and it was pretty easy. Our cats didn't like them, though. ToT But your cat might!

Good luck finding something that works for your baby, one of our cats has had a sensitive tummy since she was a little kitten, and we've had to do a lot of our own research, since a lot of vets are just in it for money and are sponsored by certain brands of food or treats. Some vets will be better, but I know a lot of vet offices are forced to push, say, Royal Canin, and when money gets involved, it's hard to get truthful answers out of anybody. :( It's really frustrating and there's still not a lot of solid research on a lot of cat nutrition. But I hope you can find treats that work great for your girl!
Katia Topic Starter

Thank you very much and I'll have to look into Orijen.
You could try Chewey which is a company that finds good food for dogs or cats. I have have ordered from them. They add something to your order for free often.
Katia Topic Starter

That's where I got the stuff with the chickpea flour in it.
Freeze-dried chicken!! My cat LOVES it, and there's literally just one ingredient: Chicken.
The kind that I get is this:
American Journey 100% Chicken Freeze-Dried Grain-Free Cat Treats, 2-oz bag
I also use Chewy religiously for all my pet needs, they have a great selection and it gets delivered right to your door.

Katia wrote:
Ok I have a very sweet baby girl of a kitty, but she has a couple of little issues I was hoping some positive reinforcement with cat treats can help. Problem is she has a grain sensitivity so not any treat will do. I went shopping for some treats not that long ago and ended up picking up some that were supposed to be grain free/gluten free that sounded promising, but I was a total dunderhead and didn't take a close look at the ingredient list and later realized it has chickpea flour in it which is not good for cats. I tried digging a bit on my own, but didn't see anything I thought was great.

I know rpr has a bunch of cat lovers, so I was hoping maybe one of you could enlighten me to some excellent cat treats fit for my kitty.
My friend got my cats these turkey jerky treats (there are other kinds too), and they're obsessed:

https://www.amazon.com/Wild-Meadow-Farms-Treats-Greets/dp/B081QR3CGQ

You are on: Forums » Smalltalk » Any know a good grain-free cat treat?

Moderators: Mina, Keke, Cass, Auberon, Claine, Ilmarinen, Ben, Darth_Angelus